HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade for Iginla?

Old
07-11-2012, 11:52 PM
kernalbyrne22

vCash: 500
Trade for Iginla?

Thoughts on offering a top-six (Read? Simmonds?) + Defensemen (Mesz?) + picks, for a rental of Jarome Iginla. We have the space for him and it seems that we are going to miss out on other power forwards (Doan, Ryan) with asking prices being too high. Iginla replaces some scoring lost from JVR and Jags plus he's a righty with great first line potential with G.
Would they ask for Couter or Schenn like erbody else?

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-12-2012 at 08:14 AM.
kernalbyrne22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:02 AM
laundryman

If the Flames move Iginla I'd think they'd be entering rebuilding mode so I'd expect them to ask for Couturier or Schenn to go the other way

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Ha schenn or Couturier.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:13 AM
silver surfer

Iginla won't be moved unless he asks for a trade. Living in Cgy, I know there's lots of speculation from Toronto based media, but the team will let him play out the rest of his career in Cgy if he wants.

silver surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:16 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

For one season, they'd have little right to expect Schenn/Couturier out of us.

We'd have to move cap space AND valuable, young players though. So Voracek/Simmonds as well as Laughton, maybe Cousins too, and someone like Meszaros. I love Iggy, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:33 AM
IceHot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernalbyrne22 View Post
Trade for Iginla?
How can we, there's no more Gagne to trade for him.

Why would you trade a young PF with many good years in him and other important assets for a declining rental?

IceHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:07 AM
ilovetheflyers8

While Iginla is great and he would be a asset to the Flyers I don't see a huge need for him, especially with what the Flyers might have to give up to get him. I'd rather the team sign Semin or Doan depending on the number of years they want, or just stay put.

edit- That being said Read or Simmonds for Iginla would be a decent deal, but I just don't think Iginla would put the team over the top, so I'm not sure the deal would be worth it.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:48 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
they should have traded him years ago

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:35 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Thoughts on offering a top-six (Read? Simmonds?) + Defensemen (Mesz?) + picks, for a rental of Jarome Iginla. We have the space for him and it seems that we are going to miss out on other power forwards (Doan, Ryan) with asking prices being too high. Iginla replaces some scoring lost from JVR and Jags plus he's a righty with great first line potential with G.
The rental aspect is the problem with this. Unless this is a move at the trade deadline with the Flyers looking like they might be able to go for the Cup, I don’t think this makes much sense. Giving up Read or Simmonds, younger players who provide good, relatively inexpensive depth (which every contending team needs) along with a defenseman from a team whose defense is in question is a recipe for disaster. I think that players like Read and Simmonds are worth more than just their ability, for cap purposes. Look at the teams that win Cups – they have quality depth (except maybe the Penguins). Depleting depth for all star name players is not how to win Cups.

I think the team should try to solve any roster openings from within. It is a strange concept for the Flyers, but one that some teams actually try!

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:19 AM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
they should have traded him years ago
Yeah this is more of a "we should have gotten him years ago" type of trade - also known as overpayment for a player in the decline of their playing days. I love Iginla since he's a very good player and leader, but unless the Flames are willing to let him go cheap at the deadline to rebuild it'll cost too much to get him.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Flyerfan4life

to old, no sale..

/movealong

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:43 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Nope.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:31 AM
BernieParent

I'd consider Iginla at the trade deadline if the Flyers are in the thick of things. However, I'm anticipating that Calgary would want a king's ransom.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:59 AM
ICAPNASTYI

I'm completely against giving up anyone for a "rental"

ICAPNASTYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:16 PM
phillyfanatic

Perhaps Calgary will trade us Iginla for Pronger straight up?

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
For one season, they'd have little right to expect Schenn/Couturier out of us.

We'd have to move cap space AND valuable, young players though. So Voracek/Simmonds as well as Laughton, maybe Cousins too, and someone like Meszaros. I love Iggy, but I'm not sure it's worth it.
Voracek, Laughton, Cousins AND Mesz? Absolutely no chance, Calgary add and add.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:20 PM
CTU2fan

I actually like the idea of renting Iginla. He's getting older, and at his age you actually DON'T want to sign him to a 35+ extension. Trouble is, Calgary doesn't move him for cheap, and for the Flyers to give up a 20+goal roster player (Simmonds or Read), or a 60 pt roster player (Voracek), let alone Couts or Schenn, and then ADD? That's at best a lateral move this season and then a huge downgrade when Iginal walks and you have to fill that hole on RW with the loss of first Read/Simmonds/Voracek and subsequently Iginla. I'd rent him for a pick, but obviously Calgary can do better. Also it appeares Feaster is thinking playoffs, though with some of his moves it's debateable whether he's thinking at all.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:28 PM
SilkyMitts

maybe for a couple of picks.

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:45 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

The Pens got Hossa and Dupuis for Armstrong, Christensen, a prospect, and a 1st.

Don't really know how good of a measuring stick that is.

LetsGoFlyers1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:00 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

we just got spoiled the last couple years cause we make all those bold moves and we didn't this year. there's a lot of speculatin just to speculate. like we have to make a move to make a move and the problem with most of it is its all for offensive players. we act like losin jagr is bad. its not. he wanted prime ice time which he aint getting here. better that he left and jvr was in the crapper all year. with the time under the belts of the youngins and the emergence of them considering there's more slots available this is a no move is a good move situation. we need another defenseman. that's it. i'd take doan but i don't think he's leaving the western conference. it'd be so awesome if pronger came back though. it would change everything.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Why on God's good green earth would we even do this?

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
we just got spoiled the last couple years cause we make all those bold moves and we didn't this year. there's a lot of speculatin just to speculate. like we have to make a move to make a move and the problem with most of it is its all for offensive players. we act like losin jagr is bad. its not. he wanted prime ice time which he aint getting here. better that he left and jvr was in the crapper all year. with the time under the belts of the youngins and the emergence of them considering there's more slots available this is a no move is a good move situation. we need another defenseman. that's it. i'd take doan but i don't think he's leaving the western conference. it'd be so awesome if pronger came back though. it would change everything.
I I agree with your thinking about how we are used to dramatic change with the Flyers in the offseason. Most teams don’t have dramatic change in each offseason. I am glad we don’t for once. I don’t think we are necessarily better than we were last year, but it at least gives the team a chance to see what our young ones can do. It will ensure quality ice time for young players and hopefully they’ll run with it. It also sets us up for having some cap space for once.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:56 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
I'm not looking for a big move...but you have to consider timonen, briere, & hartnell will probably regress.

Prongers done, carle left...

If (god forbid) timonen gets hurt, we have:
Coburn grossman
Meszaros schenn
Garbage garbage

If Meszaros isn't fully recovered we're screwed.

With bryz in net, we had better score some goals.

I'm being a little dramatic, but unless we do something at the deadline, I'm not expecting a cup this year.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Haute Couturier

You only trade for a rental like Iginla if you believe he can put you over the top. I don't think he does that. It would be stupid to weaken the defense and give up Read for him.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Gert B Frobe

I don't think the Flyers will add any significant forwards via trade unless it's Bobby Ryan and his price will probably be too high. I do see the Flyers trying to add a FA forward like Doan or maybe Semin. If any big trades not involving Ryan I would guess it would be for a defenseman. They need at least another 3rd pairing guy but ideally would add a 2nd pairing guy with a right handed shot. I could see Read and maybe some prospects or picks going the other way although that won't land you all that much.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote