HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT Sens @ Flyers

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2003, 12:47 PM
south-sentral

vCash: 500
GDT Sens @ Flyers

FLYERS AT SENATORS

Corel Centre

7:30 p.m.

- TV: NET, RDS

- Radio: Team 1200 AM, CJRC 1150 AM, CJUL 1220 AM, CKLC 1380, Star 96.7 FM.

BLACK AND BLUE REPORT

- FLYERS: Todd Fedoruk (facial fractures), could play.

- SENATORS: D Karel Rachunek (bruised knee), could play ... C Mike Fisher (elbow), out 2-3 weeks.

NOTEBOOK:

Senators coach Jacques Martin said D Karel Rachunek, who dropped to block a shot Saturday night against the Leafs and took it off the top of the knee, would be a game-time decision ... The Senators recalled W Antoine Vermette from Binghamton yesterday ... The Senators have now been outscored 19-17 in first periods this season. They have outscored the opposition 32-18 in the second and 19-14 in the third ... The Flyers, the league's first-place team, have outscored the opposition 23-10 in the first period. That doesn't shape up as a good combination for the Senators, does it? ... F Todd Fedoruk is expected to rejoin the Flyers for tonight's game. He's spent the last couple of games in the minors after getting his face crunched in a fight with Islanders D Eric Cairns on Nov. 11. Fedoruk needed three plates and 13 screws to repair four fractures in his cheek and orbital bone. Fedoruk will have to wear a shield for up to a month ... LW John LeClair picked up his 600th point as a Flyer in Saturday night's 5-1 win over the Islanders. He is one point behind Rod Brind'Amour for seventh on the Flyers' all-time list ... The Flyers have eight power-play goals in their last seven games ... The line of Jeremy Roenick-Tony Amonte-Mark Recchi has combined for 25 goals and 59 points in Philly's last 19 games ... The 2-1 loss to the Leafs Saturday night was the Senators' ninth one-goal game this season. The Senators, who were 16-12 in one-goal games last year, are 0-9 this season.

-------------------------------------------------

The sens need to win these crucial interconference games if they want any chance in finishing in the top four. Philly is on a unbeaten streak right now and might be reeling their back-to-back playoff losses against the Sens.

I'll refrain from any prediction but I will predict that the sens would score the first goal for a change!!

Old
12-01-2003, 01:05 PM
Spezza

Difficult one - Philly will deffo be on a high. I'd have to imagine that Hitchcock will have his guys up for this one.

Old
12-01-2003, 01:08 PM
kidchrome

Any word on who the Ottawa coach is tonight?????

Old
12-01-2003, 01:11 PM
John Flyers Fan

Flyers line-up will be

Recchi - Roenick - Amonte
Brashear - Handzus - Willliams
Gagne - Primeau - Kapanen
LeClair - Lapointe - Somik

Therien - Desjardins
Johnsson - Vandermeer
Pitkanen - Weinrich

Esche

Ragnarsson is staying at home due to birth of his child.

Brashear & LeClair may flip/flop lines.

Old
12-01-2003, 01:46 PM
Volchenkov

I have a feeling Lalime is going to step up big time tonight. Looks to be like a good game. Philly's clearly a better team than last year, so all the playoff games mean nothing. This game seems like a key game, so the sens should come out flying (no pun intended), especially since they've had a lot of success against philly.

My predictions:

-Lalime gets a star
-Rachunek plays but is slowed by his knee
-Volchenkov scores a hatrick

Old
12-01-2003, 02:30 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
My prediction:

We get blown out of the water and Muckler finally get's off the pot and trades someone.

My bet it's going to be either Schastlivy, Bonk, Rachunek or a combination of them to get someone who has realized that the season has already started.

Old
12-01-2003, 03:00 PM
porknbeans

Time to share blame.

Keeping in minhd of course ,that Martin has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the slow start, it is simply all the players faults... Of course.

(That was sarcastic)

Sure it may be foolish to blame all this on Martin, but it is equally foolish to blam none of this on Martin.

Its the collective attitude of the team, combined with crap goaltending (at key times) that has led Ottawa to the basement of the North East division.

Old
12-01-2003, 03:01 PM
Transplanted Caper

3-2 Sens

Old
12-01-2003, 03:15 PM
porknbeans

Deja Vu

Quote:
This game seems like a key game, so the sens should come out flying (no pun intended), especially since they've had a lot of success against philly.
Hmmm....
This game seems like a key game, so the Sens should come out flying... especially since they've had a lot of REGULAR SEASON success against TORONTO

I am sure a lot of people were saying the same thing with regards to the Leafs on Saturday.

I think we might as well spot the Flyers the 1-0 lead and get on with it from there.

Old
12-01-2003, 03:22 PM
TexSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredsensfan
Hmmm....
This game seems like a key game, so the Sens should come out flying... especially since they've had a lot of REGULAR SEASON success against TORONTO

I am sure a lot of people were saying the same thing with regards to the Leafs on Saturday.

I think we might as well spot the Flyers the 1-0 lead and get on with it from there.
For some reason I get the feeling that after the management meeting between Martin, Mucks, Mlakar and Melnyk (The four M-igos?) the next two games will be defining moments in the direction of the team this year.

A couple of losses and the shakeup happens. A couple of wins and the knives go back in the drawer for a while.

Old
12-01-2003, 03:25 PM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredsensfan
Hmmm....

I did mention that the playoff success had not much bearing. What i meant was that they should have their confidence when playing Philly knowing that in important games they normally beat Philly.

Old
12-01-2003, 06:01 PM
south-sentral

Finally, a full 60 minute played by the sens, they got back to basics and even the fourth line was in the play..I think Jacques should keep the Marty, Bonk combo and Spezza with Hossa.

Old
12-01-2003, 06:30 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Maybe the Sens respect the Flyers after all.

What a great pk the flyers have. Luckily the Sens are able to move that puck around quickly.

sens were working hard. As often happens, they got lucky breaks. Passes looked a lot crisper, more confident and more attacking than that horrible leafs game.

It was a line balance thing. Hossas line was scoring, alfies line was scoring, its taken until now for Havlat to get going. The triple threat is back. But Havlat was with Bonk, and Hossa with Spezza. Havlat and Spezza really seem to work in those pairs

Nice to see Volchenkov back. Not just the goal, but his whole game looked more NHL like again.

Nice to see Chara talking to Primeau too.

One day soon, we may be aghast at how we were once contemplating using Prusek as a throw-in to get a 3rd liner.

Spezza made some nice plays, but Bonk is grittier. Im trying to remember a Spezza bodycheck I've seen. Am I just missing them? I think he may still be too young to be leaned on heavily in the playoffs.

Old
12-01-2003, 07:32 PM
sensfan18

That was vintage sens. The new line combos were great IMO, and Prusek's play was stellar. It was nice to see the team defence back in play for a change, it could still be a little better but it is on the way back. I thought Volchenkov had his best game of the season, not because of the goal but his overal play was there and he was quite physical. Hopefully we can run off a few now, we seem to play better against better comp. and with TB, NJ and Bos coming up it is a real test.

Old
12-01-2003, 09:12 PM
LA Kings Rule

Great game by the Sens, hopefully this continues. Prusek came up big, they played a strong defenceive game and also its good that Havlat hopefully now he keeps it up for the rest of the year.

Old
12-02-2003, 07:28 AM
TexSen

I think tonight (actually last night now) was a pretty good example of how a team can actually control who gets the so called "lucky bounces."

A lot of that had to do with hard work.

Without Bonk and Havlat's hustle on the two on one first goal, there wouldn't have been the opportunity for Havlat to try to pass back to Bonk.

Second goal for Havlat was purely hustle to get into the corner for the eventual bank shot off Esche.

Had either of those two not worked hard to get into position to make those passes that led to the "lucky bounces" the score might likely been different.

Good work ethic tonight led to some lucky breaks.

Closed Thread