HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Neil Signs Three Year 5.75 Million Dollar Contract Extension

Old
07-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 500
Awards:
Great signing by Ottawa, both length and term.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Stassino

Best deal in a long time..

Has anybody ever seen this anti Chris Neil rhetoric?

http://www.bloguin.com/daysofyorr/20...ss-******.html

It may make you mad.. .. Full of utter B.S

Last edited by Stassino: 07-11-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Stassino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:10 PM
SaxPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Trudeau View Post
I mean he's very dumb. An idiot with that kind of money makes people like me with modest salaries cringe at what sort of useless unsightly extravagance they've bought.
I had the joy of sitting with Neil at a benefit function a couple of years ago. I was amazed and how thoughtful and well-spoken he was. No kidding.

SaxPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:46 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stassino View Post
Best deal in a long time..

Has anybody ever seen this anti Chris Neil rhetoric?

http://www.bloguin.com/daysofyorr/20...ss-******.html

It may make you mad.. .. Full of utter B.S
I lol'd pretty hard.

The downside of being a hardcore sports city is that a lot of the blogs are ridiculous.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:12 AM
Classless Goon
Ducimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
He's not under appreciated at all. Look at how happy everyone is in this thread and everyone on the main board would love to have him. Of course he's going to be hard to replace.
Well he has had a very good year and excellent playoffs so he has been very popular lately. But over the years he has been thrown under the bus and his contribution to this organization has been scoffed at. I remember a few years ago when he was set to hit free agency, no one around here wanted him to let the door hit him on the way out. I was one of the few posters who stuck up for him. I remember finding myself arguing against morons who argued that Neil was an overpaid, overrated goon and that he was redundant and useless now, because, and I quote, ''we have Ruutu and Bass now''. Then when Murray did not trade him at the TD, this board was furious that BMurr had ''missed the boat''. And then when Neil was re signed for 2 million$ a year, this board was enraged and ready to go lynch Murray. So let's not pretend like fans around here have always appreciated what Neil brings to the ice.

However to be fair, I get the feeling that it's only a sentiment shared by the fans on this board. I get the feeling that Neil was probably always a fan favourite to the average every day Sens fan, but of course, to the snobby, scoffing, opiniated nerdy crowd with no appreciation for the toughness or grit that Neil brings around here it's a different story. Not everyone around here is like that of course, it goes without saying. Still, it's nice to see Neil has forced the haters to eat plenty of crow.

Anyways, this is a solid deal. It's pretty cool that Neil will probably end up retiring as a Senator. He is on pace to finish in or near the top 10 for PIM leaders of all time. He is going to go down as an all time great for tough guys. He will be what McCarty was for Detroit or what Domi was for the Leafs.

Classless Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Lenny the Lynx

vCash: 50
2012-07-12_100633.jpg

Usually the TSN headers are good puns, but I don't get this one at all...

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:34 AM
arglebargle

vCash: 141
This seems like a pretty fair deal for both sides. Neil is worth over $2 million / yr if he stays fully healthy but his age and injury risk bring it down a bit.

Also with the cap at ~$70 million and the Sens under the floor right now, $1.9 million is nothing.

arglebargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:56 AM
We Want the Cup 2010

It has been said before, but he is to the sens as Tie Domi was to the Leafs. The difference being that, Neil is the better hockey player.

If I think about it, I'd rather Neil over Foligno on the team, and not just because of salaries. Seems like he left some money on the table. Great signing.

We Want the Cup 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!

Thank god Murray had the sense the sign Neil.

This guy is very underated, spark plug of the Team!

Rocket Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:41 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arglebargle View Post
Neil is worth over $2 million / yr if he stays fully healthy but his age and injury risk bring it down a bit.
Yea you just have to consider that this risk would have been taken by every team in the league. He's definitely worth it when healthy as you said.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:56 PM
SensFan26

Crazy to think the Sens have 4 guys that have been in the organization for 10 years, some teams don't even have one.

SensFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:08 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFan26 View Post
Crazy to think the Sens have 4 guys that have been in the organization for 10 years, some teams don't even have one.
Probably more if we didn't get rid of Chara/Hossa/Redden but obviously things would have been different to this point if we kept them.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:18 PM
SensFan26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Probably more if we didn't get rid of Chara/Hossa/Redden but obviously things would have been different to this point if we kept them.
Perhaps them as well but most definitely Chris Kelly and Mike Fisher I think.

SensFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:18 PM
2Cowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFan26 View Post
If we have that many players that are so loyal to the city/organization why is so hard for us to attract UFA's without overypaying?

2Cowen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
If we have that many players that are so loyal to the city/organization why is so hard for us to attract UFA's without overypaying?
Ottawa is the kind of city you begin to appreciate after spending a lot of time there. That goes for a lot of cities though, and they have more obvious benefits to offer single guys/young families.

I bet you could find a lot of people that love living in, say, Albany. Doesn't mean it appeals the same way to someone just showing up.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Germz
4th liners ftw

I'll admit that I was unhappy with the last Neil contract when it was signed.

However, in defense of myself and others who did not like that signing, it should be remembered the Senators had an older lineup with a different cap structure. Heatley hadn't been traded yet, Kovalev had just been signed, Fisher, Kelly, Ruutu were still with the club on considerable contracts. The forward group was clogged with older players on UFA contracts, and since we lacked young scoring talent, it made sense to me that we should be moving out veteran bottom-6 players to make room for youth. I was also concerned that Neil was declining.

Since then, Donovan, Fisher, Kelly, Ruutu, Shannon, Kovalev, Heatley have all left, and the forward group has gotten younger overall. Thus, I think keeping Neil around as a hard-working veteran plug who bleeds black, red and gold has been a good move, and that he is a crucial part of the team. His performance in the playoffs speaks for itself. You need a mix of youth and veterans throughout your lineup, and it's clear that Neil has an important role as a leader on the rebuilding team. He has done his job and he has done it well. I'm happy to say that I was wrong to think that he was declining, as Neil has bounced back with a couple of a nice seasons. He is playing some of his best hockey and his aggressive but smart physical game fits well in MacLean's system.

Plus the cap ceiling is sky-high these days and we are barely going to hit the floor, so spend baby spend. Locking up Neil is the right move for the team and the community.

Germz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:04 PM
inthewings

Great signing. Who would have thought a decade ago that Chris Neil would play 1000+ games in this uniform?

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:53 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
Ottawa is the kind of city you begin to appreciate after spending a lot of time there. That goes for a lot of cities though, and they have more obvious benefits to offer single guys/young families.

I bet you could find a lot of people that love living in, say, Albany. Doesn't mean it appeals the same way to someone just showing up.
Ottawa is one of the most underrated city's in the country.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:55 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
Its not thats its hard to attract is Murray offering serious deal is he willing to open the pocket book that has more of a factor.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Ice-Tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germz View Post
I'll admit that I was unhappy with the last Neil contract when it was signed.

However, in defense of myself and others who did not like that signing, it should be remembered the Senators had an older lineup with a different cap structure. Heatley hadn't been traded yet, Kovalev had just been signed, Fisher, Kelly, Ruutu were still with the club on considerable contracts. The forward group was clogged with older players on UFA contracts, and since we lacked young scoring talent, it made sense to me that we should be moving out veteran bottom-6 players to make room for youth. I was also concerned that Neil was declining.

Since then, Donovan, Fisher, Kelly, Ruutu, Shannon, Kovalev, Heatley have all left, and the forward group has gotten younger overall. Thus, I think keeping Neil around as a hard-working veteran plug who bleeds black, red and gold has been a good move, and that he is a crucial part of the team. His performance in the playoffs speaks for itself. You need a mix of youth and veterans throughout your lineup, and it's clear that Neil has an important role as a leader on the rebuilding team. He has done his job and he has done it well. I'm happy to say that I was wrong to think that he was declining, as Neil has bounced back with a couple of a nice seasons. He is playing some of his best hockey and his aggressive but smart physical game fits well in MacLean's system.

Plus the cap ceiling is sky-high these days and we are barely going to hit the floor, so spend baby spend. Locking up Neil is the right move for the team and the community.
No excuses!

Seriously though, signing Neil has always been a good idea and I though the detractors of his last deal were crazy people... Glad to see the medicine is starting to kick in for most.

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:54 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Tray View Post
No excuses!

Seriously though, signing Neil has always been a good idea and I though the detractors of his last deal were crazy people... Glad to see the medicine is starting to kick in for most.
Seriously, it was plain to many his last deal was well-deserved and he's earned every penny.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:39 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
Great signing. Who would have thought a decade ago that Chris Neil would play 1000+ games in this uniform?
You jinxed it! Now he is gonna get injured or traded!

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:02 AM
HankHillC3H8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
You jinxed it! Now he is gonna get injured or traded!
*Anti-jinx* This guy will never get to 1000 games.

HankHillC3H8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:05 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

great deal but man is he going to be a pain in the ass to play against again. I don't like him but I respect him off the ice, I've heard good things about him.

07-14-2012, 03:09 AM
Ice-Tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
great deal but man is he going to be a pain in the ass to play against again. I don't like him but I respect him off the ice, I've heard good things about him.
Probably the greatest sign of respect a player of his skill-set could get from a bitter rival.

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote