HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anaheim Ducks prospect ranking #3

View Poll Results: 3rd best prospect is...?
Frederik Andersen 1 1.61%
Matt Clark 0 0%
Emerson Etem 39 62.90%
Max Friberg 0 0%
John Gibson 0 0%
Peter Holland 10 16.13%
William Karlsson 0 0%
Nicolas Kerdiles 0 0%
Hampus Lindholm 9 14.52%
Rikard Rakell 1 1.61%
Devante Smith-Pelly 2 3.23%
Chris Wagner 0 0%
Andy Welinski 0 0%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-11-2012, 10:04 PM
airforceones25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Murray vs. Fowler is a much better example, and I think you'd find people who would pick one or the other. Some would like Fowler's high end offense more, and probably extrapolate an improved defensive game for him as he develops. Others would like the stability that Murray might provide, even if he doesn't seem to have the same high end potential. That becomes a matter of choice, as well as where you feel a player will end up developmentally(someone who doesn't like Fowler as a talent, or Murray, is obviously going to pick the other choice).

Asking who you'd choose, Koivu or Sedin, might as well be rhetorical. That isn't about whether you'd pick the complete player or the more one-dimensional offensive talent. It's about whether you want the best player, or the other guy.
The Koivu/Sedin thing wasn't intended to portray Etem as that level just an example of the fact one player can be complete and the other isn't but that doesn't make the latter one a lesser player when in fact he can be a much greater player.

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
The Koivu/Sedin thing wasn't intended to portray Etem as that level just an example of the fact one player can be complete and the other isn't but that doesn't make the latter one a lesser player when in fact he can be a much greater player.
The complete vs. more one-dimensional argument only really works with two players of comparable skill level. Being a more complete player can make you a better player within your talent level. It doesn't make a grinder into a star, and it certainly doesn't mean a grinder should be compared to a star.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Takao
kesbae

Etem gets my vote but it wasn't a easy decision between him and Lindholm.

Takao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:21 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Ready 4 Ploffs

Voted Etem, add Cramarossa, I think he can be a great 3rd or 4th line center

Alot of the skepticism about Etem is ridiculous, the kid is one of the hardest workers you'll ever meet, his desire to be great will carry him I cannot wait for 2-3 years from now when everyone here goes "Wow, he's alot better than I thought"

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:58 AM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Etem winning by a huge margin. Look how shocked I am.

Seriously not understanding the Lindholm love. I mean. I'm eating crow on him for sure...but to say he's so close to Etem after 1 2/3 length scrimmages? Doesn't make sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post

Alot of the skepticism about Etem is ridiculous, the kid is one of the hardest workers you'll ever meet, his desire to be great will carry him I cannot wait for 2-3 years from now when everyone here goes "Wow, he's alot better than I thought"
Occupy, you really misjudge people's opinion of Etem. Nobody questions his work ethic or upside. People aren't sure if he's ready to handle NHLers yet, and his game isn't sure to work at the next level. But if it does, if he does adapt (which I'm expecting it to) he'll dominate.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:23 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Etem winning by a huge margin. Look how shocked I am.

Seriously not understanding the Lindholm love. I mean. I'm eating crow on him for sure...but to say he's so close to Etem after 1 2/3 length scrimmages? Doesn't make sense to me.
That seems overly reductive. It's not just scrimmages, but the praise from Boudreau, that our scouts were so high on him, that people like McGuire were incredibly high on him, what he did at the U-18s, and most of the input from the guys that followed him in Sweden all play a part in it; at least it did for me.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:08 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
That seems overly reductive. It's not just scrimmages, but the praise from Boudreau, that our scouts were so high on him, that people like McGuire were incredibly high on him, what he did at the U-18s, and most of the input from the guys that followed him in Sweden all play a part in it; at least it did for me.
Not to mention that Etem was a 2010 pick, and Lindholm is a 2012 pick. Two years of development is huge at that age. For Lindholm to have stood out the way he did to Boudreau, compared to draft picks with a couple of years of development on him is pretty noteworthy. No one would have been surprised if Etem was the best player during the camp. Hell, I think some would expect it. If Etem is going to make the team this season, you would absolutely assume it begins at the rookie camp. When a newly drafted player stands out as one of the best, well, people are going to take notice.

As you said, it's not just the scrimmage. It's everything that is being said. Having the rookie camp that he did is just a big fat exclamation point on it all. If he has an equally good training camp, holding his own against NHL talent, it would raise a lot of eyebrows.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:34 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post

Dude, where has -anyone- questioned his work ethic, or disputed that he's a terrific prospect? Pretty much the only comments being made that could be taken as negative refers to Etem being a man amongst boys in the Major Juniors, and that he's going to need to adjust and find some new ways to score. Every player has to make adjustments like that when they crack the NHL. Really, at this point, I don't think this is up for debate. It's just the cold truth of professional hockey in the NHL. The competition doesn't get any better, and there's a reason for it.

In Etem's case, the biggest adjustment will be that that his physical advantages over the opposition won't be as great, and that the defense in the NHL is going to be pretty significantly better than anything he's experienced before. If he's the player you think he is, he'll make those adjustments, and just go about his business as usual. Whether he needs some time in the AHL first to start the process will be up to him, and the Ducks organization. It's not a knock against a player when he has to adapt to the NHL game. Every player has to go through that experience to some degree. The real question is how well Etem adapts, and I think a lot of fans here think Etem could potentially be a 30+ goal scorer. I think most people here would be thrilled if he could be that, given how tough it is to do.