HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Scott Gomez

Old
07-12-2012, 03:25 AM
MayDayMayDay

vCash: 500
Scott Gomez

Does he just not have it anymore? Or (expensive as his contract is), could he possibly revive his career from a change of scenery? Was thinking of seeing him in Buffalo maybe (in spite of us being in the same division) since we are looking for a veteran center presence. Or is that just a bad idea all the way around? What's everyone's thoughts?

MayDayMayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:26 AM
MaxLacoste

Except for a team in need of reaching the salary floor, I don't see teams taking on him.

MaxLacoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:46 AM
Trance Kuja
Retired for now.

He'll come roaring back if he gets traded.

Trance Kuja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:20 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeurekasky View Post
Does he just not have it anymore? Or (expensive as his contract is), could he possibly revive his career from a change of scenery? Was thinking of seeing him in Buffalo maybe (in spite of us being in the same division) since we are looking for a veteran center presence. Or is that just a bad idea all the way around? What's everyone's thoughts?
Under his contract there is NO way we bite on him unless they send a quality player with him for a low draft pick or a mediochre prospect, like the Regehr Kotalik for Byron/Butler deal.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:31 AM
jonlin

To Montreal:

McCormick 1,2/2yrs
Leino 4,5/4yrs

To Buffalo:

Gomez 7,357/2yrs
2nd rnd pick 2013

Maybe something like this? I still believe that Leino could turn it around though?! Only reason for Buffalo to do it is Leino has 4yrs left whereas Gomez has 2. Both bad contracts ofc. McCormick is in only for $$.

jonlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:34 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeurekasky View Post
He's one of the worst players in the NHL right now. Even without his contract. With it it just gets worse. Scott Gomez does not, will not, go into high traffic areas or pay the price to make plays/score. It's the reason he has 2 goals in over a year. He is useless to any team and more of a boat anchor.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:36 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlin View Post
To Montreal:

McCormick 1,2/2yrs
Leino 4,5/4yrs

To Buffalo:

Gomez 7,357/2yrs
2nd rnd pick 2013

Maybe something like this? I still believe that Leino could turn it around though?! Only reason for Buffalo to do it is Leino has 4yrs left whereas Gomez has 2. Both bad contracts ofc. McCormick is in only for $$.
Montreal would still have to add IMO. Leino is on a bad contract, but still holds way more value then Gomez. The guy went an entire year (date wise not season) without scoring....I can't see any deal moving gomez getting too much value for him....

Maybe something along the lines of:

Gomez
2nd round pick
Bottom six winger/decent prospect

For

Finley
Pardy

Old
07-12-2012, 06:55 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't think it's "impossible" that Gomez could turn it around. He hasn't physically lost anything that he had before. He still has the speed, still carries the puck well through the neutral zone. And I would also say he goes anywhere on the ice that he ever did, including corners or traffic. He never was a high-traffic player, but he still digs in at times (and still backs off at times), which isn't different than what he has done in the past.

All those blind passes and dumb shots that used to occasionally pick him up some points aren't picking him up points with the Habs, where nobody goes to the net or digs out his mistakes, and where few players can keep up with him on the rush. But then once you get in a rut, it is hard to break out, and he seemed to lose a lot of confidence too. Last season, injuries just derailed things for him as much as anything.

I still wouldn't take a chance on trading for him if I was running another team, and as a Habs fan I still would have preferred that the Habs find a better way to spend that cap money and bury him in the minors. So don't get me wrong, while there are a few slivers of hope to hold out for Gomez, my risk assessment would still mark him down as an undesirable asset overall.

But the ship has basically sailed now on finding any better way to spend his cap hit, so we're down to seeing if he bounces back. There's no way I'd trade him for a different albatross like Leino or give up assets to move him, however. Habs don't have any incentive for a negative-value exchange at the moment.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:10 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't think it's "impossible" that Gomez could turn it around. He hasn't physically lost anything that he had before. He still has the speed, still carries the puck well through the neutral zone. And I would also say he goes anywhere on the ice that he ever did, including corners or traffic. He never was a high-traffic player, but he still digs in at times (and still backs off at times), which isn't different than what he has done in the past.

All those blind passes and dumb shots that used to occasionally pick him up some points aren't picking him up points with the Habs, where nobody goes to the net or digs out his mistakes, and where few players can keep up with him on the rush. But then once you get in a rut, it is hard to break out, and he seemed to lose a lot of confidence too. Last season, injuries just derailed things for him as much as anything.

I still wouldn't take a chance on trading for him if I was running another team, and as a Habs fan I still would have preferred that the Habs find a better way to spend that cap money and bury him in the minors. So don't get me wrong, while there are a few slivers of hope to hold out for Gomez, my risk assessment would still mark him down as an undesirable asset overall.

But the ship has basically sailed now on finding any better way to spend his cap hit, so we're down to seeing if he bounces back. There's no way I'd trade him for a different albatross like Leino or give up assets to move him, however. Habs don't have any incentive for a negative-value exchange at the moment.
I completely agree with you on all aspects of this post. I don't think Montreal will bother to move him. I wonder if he would go play in Europe like Ales Kotalik did when the sabres buried him....I also wonder if he would even get through waivers....I think that Gomez @ 3 million would be a decent option for a few teams....

Old
07-12-2012, 07:13 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Could he revive his career somewhere else? Sure.

Is any team going to trade for him in any type of trade package? No.

Gomez will play out his contract with the Canadiens, their affiliate, or endure a buyout.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:20 AM
birddog*

Quote:

He's lost the will to compete. His contract set him up for life and now he's going through the motions. He doesn't have the desire to risk concussion or injury and avoids contact at all costs.

It's why Connolly and Lombardi were pretty much useless as Leafs last year. Perimeter players.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:21 AM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:

I do not buy this at all. You are saying Gomez was essentially lucky for his whole career, up until recently? Blaming his linemates too.. Sorry, this falls on Gomez, who has lost the fire needed to play hockey at its highest competitive level. Saying he is playing just as he always did is a strange stance to take, seeing how it is demonstrably wrong.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:26 AM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
There should be an option to select "The lack of value of" for threads in this forum. Scott Gomez pulled a Blaine Lacher/Jim Carey the moment he was departed the Devils. Outside of being a good character guy, his contract is one of the biggest albatrosses in the league.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
He's lost the will to compete. His contract set him up for life and now he's going through the motions. He doesn't have the desire to risk concussion or injury and avoids contact at all costs.

It's why Connolly and Lombardi were pretty much useless as Leafs last year. Perimeter players.
I don't see that at all when I watch him play.

EDIT: Or at least, again, not in any way that is noticeably different than the perimeter player he typically has been in the past. That has always been his style. At least as much as my memory from Rangers and Habs days goes. Devils days are a bit fuzzier to me.

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 07-12-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old
07-12-2012, 07:48 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
I do not buy this at all. You are saying Gomez was essentially lucky for his whole career, up until recently? Blaming his linemates too.. Sorry, this falls on Gomez, who has lost the fire needed to play hockey at its highest competitive level. Saying he is playing just as he always did is a strange stance to take, seeing how it is demonstrably wrong.
By no means. Whatever percentage of points he used to get from some of those plays, which I don't mean to imply was a large percentage, is simply diminished further on the current Habs team relative to some of his past venues. This is not even close to enough to account for his overall decline in production. But it accounts for a little bit, and it could be the difference between breaking out of a slump and getting a little confidence back and not doing so at times.

I'm not saying he is playing just as he always did, not exactly, just that he demonstrates that he still has the same physical abilities that he once did. Something is clearly being lost in the translation of those abilties into actual production, however.

I'm sure if it was easy to pinpoint exactly what was wrong or different about his game, then Gomez and/or his coaches would have done so by now, and this thread wouldn't even exist. It's not easy, and it's not something that any of us are going to pinpoint by voicing our opinions in this thread, but hopefully at least as enough of those of us who have watched all his games as a Hab chime in, it will help others who don't watch him that much get an impression of how things are going. Some impression, anyway. More than just the standard "Gomez suckz!" statements. Even as we disagree about some of the details.

(And either way, yes, Gomez suckz! I don't want to get too bogged down in seeming to defend a player I have no use for. )

Old
07-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

I'd imagine that it's in the Greg Rallo of the Panthers area of value at this point
But than again, that's just me and my dislike of having Gomez on the team

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:00 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
EDIT: Or at least, again, not in any way that is noticeably different than the perimeter player he typically has been in the past. That has always been his style. At least as much as my memory from Rangers and Habs days goes. Devils days are a bit fuzzier to me.
As a Devil, Gomez was extremely effective, and raised his game in the playoffs. Why his game fell off to such a degree is puzzling, unless it really is complacency after signing a sweetheart contract. Before leaving the Devils, though, Gomez was a very good player.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:01 AM
pigpen65

The amazing thing about Gomez is that he was done in ny. That sather found a way to get another team to bail him out of such an incredible mess is unbelievable. Him ball and chaining a division rival is the best thing for the rest of the NE. This thread is ridiculous.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:03 AM
NHL12refrigerator

As a habs fan, i obviously want him gone ASAP but i know a good deal! The Islanders have 22 million in space (is that below the cap floor?), adding Gomez to that team is a good move because they're a young team that needs a veteran presence. His salary is going lower next year, so that will lower the cap hit and the Islanders would have more space to add UFAs to a promising team. Basically, Gomez's value is only good to a team below the cap floor.

NHL12refrigerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:12 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Montreal would still have to add IMO. Leino is on a bad contract, but still holds way more value then Gomez. The guy went an entire year (date wise not season) without scoring....I can't see any deal moving gomez getting too much value for him....

Maybe something along the lines of:

Gomez
2nd round pick
Bottom six winger/decent prospect

For

Finley
Pardy
That's nuts, we are not going to give away any assets just to move him. Gomez will be in the AHL long before something like this happens.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:17 AM
Todds Chiropractory

vCash: 50
Unlikely trading partners for sure. But maybe something around Gomez for Komisarek + another one of TO's overpaid players?

Todds Chiropractory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:19 AM
berto14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL12refrigerator View Post
As a habs fan, i obviously want him gone ASAP but i know a good deal! The Islanders have 22 million in space (is that below the cap floor?), adding Gomez to that team is a good move because they're a young team that needs a veteran presence. His salary is going lower next year, so that will lower the cap hit and the Islanders would have more space to add UFAs to a promising team. Basically, Gomez's value is only good to a team below the cap floor.
No it doesn't. Although a player's salary may vary from year-to-year, his cap hit remains the same for the duration of his contract. What the Islanders may be interested in is the fact that his cap hit is $7.3 million, which would help them reach the cap floor, while the actual salary they'd have to pay him is $5.5 million. Then again, that's still a TON of money to be shelling out for a guy with his numbers.

IMO, Montreal is waiting to see what happens with the new CBA -- it's possible that a roll-back or amnesty buy-out may make Gomez contract a little easier to rid themselves of.

berto14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

You'd have to pay someone a 2nd + prospect, while taking back a cap dump of around 4 M, for anyone to have interest.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by berto14 View Post
IMO, Montreal is waiting to see what happens with the new CBA -- it's possible that a roll-back or amnesty buy-out may make Gomez contract a little easier to rid themselves of.
This.

On topic: Gomez's value is either zero (to the Habs) or negative-something (to 29 other teams).

The Habs don't have any strong motivation to find a "solution" to the "Gomez situation" in this context. Not when a solution might fall on their doorstep just by them doing nothing. (Whether that comes from the new CBA, or from a bounce-back from Gomez, or something else).

So now they just wait. And in the meantime, the "situation" gets easier to deal with just by waiting, as time ticks off the 2 years left on the deal too. That much closer to the end of it, that much less pain in a buyout (if buyout provisions remain the same in the new CBA), etc.

Old
07-12-2012, 08:31 AM
brian70

I don't think Scott Gomez has lost the will to compete nor do I believe luck has anything to do with his past production. His first season with the Canadiens was quite decent but for $7.3M, one would expect a PPG.

I believe he's lost confidence when he hit a slump a couple years ago and he couldn't find his way out. He was unable to redeem himself last season after getting injured and losing his spot on the 2nd line but even before that, he seemed to think the way out was to shoot the puck as often as possible. Since he's no sniper, that lead to nothing. He spent the rest of the year playing in bottom 6.

Tomas Plekanec had a poor season 3-4 years ago and many Montreal fans wanted management to give him away. Today, some of those fans think he's worth an All-Star, a high prospect and a 1st round pick. Gomez will never be praised the same way because of his salary cap and the fact that old management ended up giving top prospect Ryan McDonagh to the Rangers for his services.

Barring injuries to their top centers, Montreal has no room for Gomez. Barring injuries to any top centers around the league, I don't think there's room for him anywhere. If a team is in need of reaching the cap floor and one of its top centers gets hurt, I think Gomez can revive his career as he remains a good speedy playmaker who needs talented wingers to produce.

brian70 is offline   Reply With Quote