HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps sign LW Wojtek Wolski to one-year $600k deal

Old
07-12-2012, 12:06 AM
dccap24

vCash: 500
This is in response to someones post a few pages back complaining that the Caps have no depth on D. I think right now the Caps do have pretty good depth on defense. I know everyone in here hates Schultz, but he, Erskine, and Hillen are all at least legit bottom pairing NHL dmen. Our 7-8 dmen are legit defenseman. That is pretty decent depth, especially if you look around at other teams so called D "depth." Now, we probably need another top 6 dman, but I don't think depth is really the issue right now.

dccap24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:51 AM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccap24 View Post
This is in response to someones post a few pages back complaining that the Caps have no depth on D. I think right now the Caps do have pretty good depth on defense. I know everyone in here hates Schultz, but he, Erskine, and Hillen are all at least legit bottom pairing NHL dmen. Our 7-8 dmen are legit defenseman. That is pretty decent depth, especially if you look around at other teams so called D "depth." Now, we probably need another top 6 dman, but I don't think depth is really the issue right now.
I don't know about that.. what it comes down to is we don't really have a good partner for Green (again). Schultz doesn't quite cut it, Hammer probably shouldn't play big minutes, none of the other guys are good enough (well, I'm assuming Hillen won't set the world on fire..).

So Caps have some depth guys that are not terrible, but there's still a hole they can't quite fill. They have maybe three 6/7 guys, but they don't really have the one 3/4 defensive guy they need.

Though overall, I'm not that concerned about defense compared to offense. Schultz, Green, Orlov, Hammer might yield some goals because of footspeed, brainfart, rookie-error, age issues, but overall I think they're good enough to bend but not break. Thank heavens Wideman is gone..

Offense, on the other hand, is a puzzle that looks pretty challenging...

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:53 AM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

I was about to shout in despair until I saw the caphit. Leaves hope that McPhee isn't done yet.

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:13 AM
artilector

Re:Wolski, him and Ribeiro both sound like they're not great off the puck, and if so, I doubt they can mesh on a line -- you need at least two guys that can cover the ice/win the puck/create space decently.

So if Wolski succeeds, I suspect it would be with Backstrom..

Anyway, I think Oates is gonna have to rack his brain to find balance in the top-6. Backstrom is the only player that you more or less know what to expect. For everyone else, "results may vary".

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:28 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Creasy doesn't know ****.
Brah, Creasy does more community service than you. You don't know ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver
Wolski - 20-25g 30-35a
That's pretty conservative. Did you not hear that Hunter isn't returning?

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:11 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

1st line: Ovechkin - Ribeiro - Brouwer
2nd line: Laich - Backstrom - Chimera
Energy line: Wolski - Johansson - Crabb
Checking line: Hendricks - Beagle - Ward
Press box: Perreault
Difficult to say which line is 3rd and which is 4th.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:24 AM
CrashTheNet9

Wolski is not an energy line guy.

CrashTheNet9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:40 AM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTheNet9 View Post
I second that. Top 6 or press box.

Looks like Hershey will be in the Calder cup running again

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:42 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTheNet9 View Post
he saves alot of it in games...

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:44 AM
fsnoles98

This signing neither hurt or help this club. This was a chance at best at a low rate. Nothing more. GMGM at his best, just rolling the dice, solidifying nothing.

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:02 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
How can anyone say 600k on a 2 way contract is terrible for a guy who is 2 yrs removed from scoring 23 goals?

Where's the risk?????
He's an awful hockey player who gives very little effort on a great many nights. Some here think that Semin hurt the locker room due to this very same issue.

We could have signed Paris Hilton and it would have accomplished the same thing.

He should never be in our lineup. If he is there are serious issues. May as well have saved the 600k and used it to sign a more determined player for depth purposes.

There was no point to this signing at all IMO. Not even for depth purposes as I would have much rather given opportunities to guys in the bottom six to step up into a top 6 role or reward some Hershey call up.

Wolski is NOT a top 6 player. Not in any world is he this.

His D and work ethic, or lack thereof, means he has no place ..I mean NO PLACE in the bottom 6.

Not sure why this is hard to understand.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:16 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
I second that. Top 6 or press box.

Looks like Hershey will be in the Calder cup running again
With Hamill and now Wolski, Hershey could have a couple of first rounders playing for them.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
He's an awful hockey player who gives very little effort on a great many nights. Some here think that Semin hurt the locker room due to this very same issue.

We could have signed Paris Hilton and it would have accomplished the same thing.

He should never be in our lineup. If he is there are serious issues. May as well have saved the 600k and used it to sign a more determined player for depth purposes.

There was no point to this signing at all IMO. Not even for depth purposes as I would have much rather given opportunities to guys in the bottom six to step up into a top 6 role or reward some Hershey call up.

Wolski is NOT a top 6 player. Not in any world is he this.

His D and work ethic, or lack thereof, means he has no place ..I mean NO PLACE in the bottom 6.

Not sure why this is hard to understand.
He had 65 points just two seasons ago. Even if there's only a small chance he reaches those point totals again it's worth it for only $600,000.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:48 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

By energy line I meant not the line that will hit everything that moves, but the line that will just run around with speed all the time.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:19 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I think it says something to me that VV has entered the Roberts school of workouts. If you were a lazy facker, would you even bother? Or just bust open yet another bag of Dorito's and put it off until next year.

It sounds like he is rededicating himself to getting better. Everyone is able to change. He is hitting that age when one cannot just get by on youthful skills alone.

It appears Ribeiro changed. Those bad apple philly boys got rings. I think this past winter, we saw Semin growing up. Maybe even Ovi too. If VV doesnt want to give any effort, he can run the Ferris Wheel in Hershey and it won't strap our cap a bit.

Good signing, borderline great because we have NO FACKING SCORING LINE WINGERS behind Ovi, and this a near no risk move to try for a remedy.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:31 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I think it says something to me that VV has entered the Roberts school of workouts. If you were a lazy facker, would you even bother? Or just bust open yet another bag of Dorito's and put it off until next year.

It sounds like he is rededicating himself to getting better. Everyone is able to change. He is hitting that age when one cannot just get by on youthful skills alone.

It appears Ribeiro changed. Those bad apple philly boys got rings. I think this past winter, we saw Semin growing up. Maybe even Ovi too. If VV doesnt want to give any effort, he can run the Ferris Wheel in Hershey and it won't strap our cap a bit.

Good signing, borderline great because we have NO FACKING SCORING LINE WINGERS behind Ovi, and this a near no risk move to try for a remedy.
Agree here. Everyone matures differently and listening to his interview gives me hope that he is self aware. Maybe he needs the right coach to show more appreciation for when he does things right. IDK. But WW sounded excited to get underway with Oates as his coach. He's still young and there is time to grow up here. I'm okay with the risk at near league minimum.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:40 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
He had 65 points just two seasons ago. Even if there's only a small chance he reaches those point totals again it's worth it for only $600,000.
I see your point despite disagreeing with it.

If what he had was so good to offer I'm perplexed at why other teams didn't take this "small risk"?

Fact is many people here (not you in particular altho you could be one) viewed Alexander Semin as "additon by subtraction" for the mere reason that he didn't give a rats arse on the ice sometimes and thus was locker room cancer.

Not sure why Wolski is different in this sense. he's a slacker with a fraction of the talent Semin has at a fraction of the cost. Either way he can't be good for the locker room can he?

600k may not sound like much but these things add up. I remember 99% of the board said the same thing about the Brian Pothier signing a few years back to which I disagreed. By the 3rd and 4th year of that deal it DID have an effect on us. Every little bit counts.

Wolski is a waste of space IMO. Despite him bing "cheap" he can have a divisive effect in the locker room. If you believed this about Semin then you better believe it about Wolski.

There is a huge reason why teams were not lining up to sign this guy.

Dumpster diving at its finest ala Kiwi, Doig and Gruden. Remember those names?

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:49 AM
txpd

actually, dumpster diving at its best is matt hendricks.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
actually, dumpster diving at its best is matt hendricks.
For the Caps, maybe. ATL scored a very productive Max Afinogenov by dumpster diving at one point.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:58 AM
Stewie G

Quote:

If what he had was so good to offer I'm perplexed at why other teams didn't take this "small risk"?

Fact is many people here (not you in particular altho you could be one) viewed Alexander Semin as "additon by subtraction" for the mere reason that he didn't give a rats arse on the ice sometimes and thus was locker room cancer.

Not sure why Wolski is different in this sense. he's a slacker with a fraction of the talent Semin has at a fraction of the cost. Either way he can't be good for the locker room can he?

600k may not sound like much but these things add up. I remember 99% of the board said the same thing about the Brian Pothier signing a few years back to which I disagreed. By the 3rd and 4th year of that deal it DID have an effect on us. Every little bit counts.

Wolski is a waste of space IMO. Despite him bing "cheap" he can have a divisive effect in the locker room. If you believed this about Semin then you better believe it about Wolski.

If the Caps plan on having a full roster, the difference between Wolski's deal and the league minimum is $75k. Sure, little things add up, but to even call $75k a little thing is a stretch.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Wolski plays ball or he sits and this is probably his last chance in the league. As long as he remains healthy there's no excuses. Oates likely will put him in a position to succeed so long as he earns that chance and then it's up to him. If he loses focus he'll be replaced. If he's altogether off the game plan he'll be waived. He's easily disposable if need be. This isn't a player with any leverage to be a distraction. Henrique apparently told Wolski he learned a lot from Oates and if he's equally receptive maybe his career gets back on track. If not, so be it. There are other options to shift around.

The only way I'd be somewhat concerned about this move is if it's their belief that they're pretty much done for the off-season. It's a worthwhile gamble but the lack of overall top six reliability remains. They could just treat for first ~60 games of the season as an evaluation period but that makes the coaching staff's job even harder. In any event there needs to be a very clear shared vision between McPhee, the rest of the front office and the coaching staff. Without that level of discipline and two-way feedback it's going to be hard for Oates to really thrive.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:44 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Wasn't that basically Perrault's role though?
Perrault's not on a two-way contract and wouldn't clear waivers. No chance he plays in the AHL outside of a rehab assignment.

This move is about getting a top-6 fill in, since they have none in Hershey.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The difference is all about role and wage. At 11 times more expensive last season than Wolski's new contract, Semin was never going to sit, was never going to face banishment, because he was accounting for too much of the payroll. You needed him to win. So when that guy coasts or tunes out, you curse under your breath but keep playing him and hope he turns it around soon. Everyone sees that, and it becomes toxic. That is how he is a problem in the room.

When $600,000 coasts, you sit him. He's your #13. Could that happen? Sure. The incentive is no assurance that Wolski busts his tail. Yet if you're sitting $600,000 as your extra forward, that's about as cost effective a benchwarmer as you are going to get in this league. You also show that you have no compunction about punishing lack of effort. Players see that and take a positive lesson from it. Work is rewarded and there are consequences to slacking.

It's great if he's fringe and there is more coming. You still need a winger. Properly speaking, this should be depth.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:57 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Based on McPhee's comment about Backstrom and MoJo having chemistry and Oates' inclination to put wingers on their forehand side, I see the opening night lineup looking something like this:

Laich - Ribeiro - Ovechkin
Perreault - Backstrom - Johansson
Chimera - Laich - Brouwer
Hendricks - Beagle - Crabb
Wolski / Ward

Wolski and Perreault fight (to the death?) for a top 6 LW spot while Ward and Crabb rotate the 4th line RW depending on matchup.

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:58 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:

Wolski is on a 1-year deal. It literally can't add up unless McPhee agrees to it.

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote