HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Discussion for all prospects including Adirondack Phantoms (AHL)

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2012, 04:01 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

vCash: 500
I think that a part of why you guys are arguing is because some of you lend value to the Flyers scouts in finding undrafted players and some of you look only at the draft and don't factor in all of the undrafted guys who are in the system. If you take Akeson, Mangene, Gustafsson, Manning, Testwuide, Konan, Mangene, Holmstrom, Harry Z, Johnston, and Brown out of the mix the prospect pool is much worse.

I would probably rate us as an organization as follows:

First Round drafting: solid gold
Second round and third round: poor but I feel getting better. (Stollie and Cousins are an upgrade over Klotz, Morrison, DeSerres and company)
4th and on: good (Wellwood is already good and I think several of the others like Noebels, and the Dane can make it; Sunshine could still turn out to be a good goalie albeit not with this org; I'm the lone guy here that still really likes Parks; Rinaldo already has NHL exp and so on.)
Players signed that were not drafted: by far the best in the league. When I think of our best prospects the majority fit into that group. I'm actually surprised the rest of the league hasn't done more of it. There has been the odd bigger name guy that many teams have gone after when they have completed college, but overall we seem to really excel at spotting the late bloomer guys.

Old
07-11-2012, 05:44 PM
JohnEDrama

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Haha that is awesome but I'm now worried about this guy and his taste in movies I mean who outside of philly homers can claim that as their favorite movie!?
Im not even sure many from Philly even claim that as their #1 movie. I certainly dont. Def good flicks but far from the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
The Rocky series is fairly big in Sweden actually, and having spent a considerable amount of time in various hockey arenas over the years I've heard The Eye of the Tiger far too often...

The Rocky Balboa one is the latest one (right?), so Larsson was 12 when it came out. Perfect age to watch that type of film.
Hmm, didnt know it was big in Sweden, fair enough...yup its the last 1.

Old
07-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Talent at picks until proven otherwise, by them, hopefully:

2003 NHL-Carter (1),NHL-Richards (1), NHL-Colin Fraser (3), NHL/AHL/KHL - Ruzicka (3), NHL/AHL - Picard (3), Kozak (3), Romy (4), Tremblay (5), Beauchemin (6), Hostikka (6)

Good in the 1st and 3rd.

2004 AHL barely – Belamy (3), Anderson (4), AHL-Laliberte (4), Zarb (5), Pisellini (5), JAIL-Scurko (6), AHL-Cabana (6), AHL- Houle (8), Gawryletz (8), Carter (9), AHL-Grant (9)

Slim pickings.

2005 NHL-Downie (1), NHL/AHL-Bartulis (3), Duchesne (4), Beaulieu (5), Flatters (6), Clackson (7)

Good in the 1st and 3rd.

2006 NHL/WIZARD-Giroux (1), NHL-Nodl (2), AHL-Ratchuk (2), Ran Away-Bodrov (2), AHL-Matsumoto (3), AHL-Lehtivuori (4), Kovar (4), AHL-Rheault (5), Dupont (6), KHL-Popov (7)

Good in the 1st and 2nd.

2007 NHL-JVR (1), AHL-Marshall (2), AHL-Klotz (3), Kempe (5), AHL-Kalinski (6), AHL-Maroon (6), Phillips (7)

Good 1st, but a high pick. Nice borderline players that could have been backend NHLers.

2008 NHL-Sbisa (1), NHL/AHL-Bourdon (3), De Serres (3), NHL-Rinaldo (6), Still like-Eriksson (7)

Good 1st, 3rd, 6th, and 7th.

2009 Morrison (3), Bertilsson (3), Riopel (5), Labrecque (5), NHL-Wellwood (5), Lauridsen (7)

Good pick at 5 and Lauridsen could still turn into something. Otherwise, horrible.

2010 Chaput (3), McGinn (4), Parks (5), Nepotism-Luukko (5), Blidstrand (7), Ranford (7)

Not a lot of hope here.

2011 (guesses here) NHL-Cooter (1), NHL/AHL-Cousins (3), Suellentrop (4), AHL-Noebels (4), Placek (6), AHL-Mathers (7)

Good 1st and 3rd again.

2012 (more guesses) NHL-Laughton (1), AHL-Stolarz (2), NHL-Gostisbehere (3), Larsson (4), AHL-Leier (4), Willcox (5), Vasiliev (7)

Overall: Good in the 1st. Decent picks in the 2nd (missing a few of those). Good in the 3rd. Becomes a bit of a crap shoot in later rounds as it does for the majority of teams.

For fun:

2009 no 1st round picks. Maybe would have targeted someone like Chris Kreider, only picked two spots before the Flyers

2010 no 1 round pick. Maybe someone like Brock Nelson.

Old
07-11-2012, 07:10 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Ran Away-Bodrov (2),
...he didn't "Run Away." Bodrov went back to Russia for a family issue that was well known. He came over to North America to play and was looking very good for the Phantoms. However, his wife, who had just had a baby, could not make it over. On top of it, she had a very difficult pregnancy and needed as much help as possible because she was bed ridden. He went back to Russia to be with his wife. Can't hardly fault the guy for that.

Old
07-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
...he didn't "Run Away." Bodrov went back to Russia for a family issue that was well known. He came over to North America to play and was looking very good for the Phantoms. However, his wife, who had just had a baby, could not make it over. On top of it, she had a very difficult pregnancy and needed as much help as possible because she was bed ridden. He went back to Russia to be with his wife. Can't hardly fault the guy for that.
I was joking. For awhile, that was what was being implied by people. I also put a JAIL- tag on someone.

Old
07-11-2012, 07:19 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
I was joking. For awhile, that was what was being implied by people. I also put a JAIL- tag on someone.
Ladislav Scurko is legitimate. He killed a ref after a game. With regards to Bodrov, my understanding is that he left on good terms with the Flyers and he's been invited back if he and his wife can get visas. He had a lot of promise too. It's too bad that a visa couldn't be secured for his wife.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:13 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
if Gostisbehere makes it to the NHL as a regular it ought to be fun listening to Coatsie trying to pronounce his name many times a game.
Hell I am trying to figure it out.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:27 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
if Gostisbehere makes it to the NHL as a regular it ought to be fun listening to Coatsie trying to pronounce his name many times a game.
Go-tis-bear is how I learned it. One of the guys Im really high on in the draft. Talked to a few people who watched him in college and all say he could be a steal for a 3rd round pick. Has 3 years left and most likely will finish all three (is an engineering major, so you know he is a smart one also).

@DFS I think you need to give 2010 just alittle more time. For example, Chaput, by what some beat guys and CLB fans are saying has a chance to make the team. Kid is SOLID in the faceoff circle and play some good defense. Honestly, would have loved to still have him on the team.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Larry44
Where's Hovercraft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Go-tis-bear is how I learned it. One of the guys Im really high on in the draft. Talked to a few people who watched him in college and all say he could be a steal for a 3rd round pick. Has 3 years left and most likely will finish all three (is an engineering major, so you know he is a smart one also).
Ghost looks interesting. Smart, smaller guy, but looks like he could fill out a bit. Little guys like Kimmo don't even come over until they are 23, so he's got a few good years to get his degree then see if he's pro material. Would really love to see him, Cousins and Laughton all make their WJC teams....

Old
07-12-2012, 12:36 AM
Jim Schennson
Bros.

Quote:
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=637635

Gostisbehere (pronounced GOST-is-bear) has come a long way in his development in a short period of time. His hometown of Margate, FL is hardly a hotbed of ice hockey activity, but he starting playing at the age of five.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:22 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Quote:

@DFS I think you need to give 2010 just alittle more time. For example, Chaput, by what some beat guys and CLB fans are saying has a chance to make the team. Kid is SOLID in the faceoff circle and play some good defense. Honestly, would have loved to still have him on the team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schennson View Post

Gostisbehere (pronounced GOST-is-bear) has come a long way in his development in a short period of time. His hometown of Margate, FL is hardly a hotbed of ice hockey activity, but he starting playing at the age of five.
Can I just call him "Got-to-be-here"?

Old
07-12-2012, 01:31 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I think that a part of why you guys are arguing is because some of you lend value to the Flyers scouts in finding undrafted players and some of you look only at the draft and don't factor in all of the undrafted guys who are in the system. If you take Akeson, Mangene, Gustafsson, Manning, Testwuide, Konan, Mangene, Holmstrom, Harry Z, Johnston, and Brown out of the mix the prospect pool is much worse.

I would probably rate us as an organization as follows:

First Round drafting: solid gold
Second round and third round: poor but I feel getting better. (Stollie and Cousins are an upgrade over Klotz, Morrison, DeSerres and company)
4th and on: good (Wellwood is already good and I think several of the others like Noebels, and the Dane can make it; Sunshine could still turn out to be a good goalie albeit not with this org; I'm the lone guy here that still really likes Parks; Rinaldo already has NHL exp and so on.)
Players signed that were not drafted: by far the best in the league. When I think of our best prospects the majority fit into that group. I'm actually surprised the rest of the league hasn't done more of it. There has been the odd bigger name guy that many teams have gone after when they have completed college, but overall we seem to really excel at spotting the late bloomer guys.
Just a random reminder of the 2001 draft: 3rd round Patrick Sharp and 6th round Dennis Seidenberg turned into two great players .... for other teams.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:46 AM
FlyerFire

Would not consider Sharp and Seidenberg great players. Good yes. Great value perhaps where they were picked yes, but not great players imo

Old
07-12-2012, 06:10 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerFire View Post
Would not consider Sharp and Seidenberg great players. Good yes. Great value perhaps where they were picked yes, but not great players imo
A 30 goal scorer and first pair defensemen on a Stanley cup winning team aren't great players? Your a tough judge of talent.

Old
07-12-2012, 06:22 AM
Don Nachbaur 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerFire View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
A 30 goal scorer and first pair defensemen on a Stanley cup winning team aren't great players? Your a tough judge of talent.
I agree with Fire. "Great" gets thrown around a lot to describe a player. They might be "great" at something, but not great overall. To me there is a huge margin between "great" and "very good".

Old
07-12-2012, 09:30 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I noticed this while reading the "trial" story on the Phantoms site:

"Cole Grbavac comes from the
Medicine Hat Tigers of the WHL and will likely be a rookie with the Phantoms in October..."

Old
07-12-2012, 11:32 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schennson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Can I just call him "Got-to-be-here"?
So there is some confusion I guess. A name like that may depend on where you are. his name might be pronounced different? Cherry would have fun with it as well.

Old
07-12-2012, 02:40 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I noticed this while reading the "trial" story on the Phantoms site:

"Cole Grbavac comes from the
Medicine Hat Tigers of the WHL and will likely be a rookie with the Phantoms in October..."
Flyers love their goon/fighting type with no offensive ability

Old
07-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Flyers love their goon/fighting type with no offensive ability
Its to help protect the younger developing prospects in the AHL.

If you take the time to look at the AHL teams around the league there are some former NHL goons and minor league goons in most lineups.

Old
07-12-2012, 02:56 PM
kicksave27

Looking at his stats, he had a pretty good playoffs the year before.

Though I'm still pissed about the mathers over Hyka thing, the flyers bought into their own mystique, the fighting part was entertaining, but they won the cup because of talent and great goaltending, not the fighting. I'm ok with drafting guys that can score that are tough, but drafting pure fighters is nuts. Its far easier to teach scorers to fight then fighters to score. Even dave schultz said he never fought in jr's and learned to fight in the AHL.

Old
07-12-2012, 04:02 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post

If you take the time to look at the AHL teams around the league there are some former NHL goons and minor league goons in most lineups.
How many do the these teams have on their roster? Cause if you take the time and look at the phantoms you see quite alot on it already.

Old
07-12-2012, 04:09 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

You would think that Fitzgerald would be more than sufficient in the bodyguard department.

Who knows. Maybe whoever does the blog just wanted to say something nice about Grbavac. "Likely a rookie with the Phantoms" might just sound better than "will try out for the Phantoms because no-one else wants him."

Either way I'm sure that even if he gets a contract it will be an AHL one.

Old
07-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
How many do the these teams have on their roster? Cause if you take the time and look at the phantoms you see quite alot on it already.
Most teams have a couple. Some teams have 3 or 4 guys that are active fighters on one team. There are a bunch of rough and rugged players playing in the AHL. I never understood why fans complained about this when the AHL is a very tough hockey league. You got to have guys in the lineup to protect the developing future NHL roster players.

Old
07-12-2012, 04:33 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:

some teams have goons from other leagues. In Manchester they have Justin Johnson. He sucks at everything but throwing punches.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Most teams have a couple. Some teams have 3 or 4 guys that are active fighters on one team. There are a bunch of rough and rugged players playing in the AHL. I never understood why fans complained about this when the AHL is a very tough hockey league. You got to have guys in the lineup to protect the developing future NHL roster players.
Agreed. There is no place in the NHL for these guys, but the AHL is full of tough **********. Lots of guys that like to rough up young players too.

Closed Thread