HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Sign Palushaj 1yr 2way

Old
07-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Coach Brisebois*

vCash: 500
Habs Sign Palushaj 1yr 2way

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=637775

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:04 AM
le_sean

Meh.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:07 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

Good signing for the dogs!!!

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:08 AM
zzoo

35 pts in 35 games in AHL is not too bad.
I remember that he was very bad during his first call-up with Habs. He got a bit better in his second call-up.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Valois

I didn't realize he was only 22.

Valois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Andy

I wouldn't write Palushaj off yet. In his last call up he was outplaying his opponents night in and night out while playing on the fourth line. Considering he struggled early on, that is exactly what you want to see from a younger player. I still think he can be a top 9 forward in the right role, just got to give him that chance, which he has never had.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:14 AM
NHL12refrigerator

It's a good deal for both parties. If Palushaj merks in Hamilton, we'll sign an extension

NHL12refrigerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:14 AM
goonshow

Unfortunately, i doubt the Dawgs will see him.. when the Habs go to send him down after camp (which they will based on the fact that 13 guys are on 1 ways), he is going to have to clear waivers.. someone is going to snatch him up.. as much as Habs fans love to hate this guy, he is a proven producer that was never really given a shot.. yes 38 games w the big club, but 4mins a night as a 4th liner isnt really allowing the kid a shot to make it happen.. and he is 22..

goonshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:15 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
35 pts in 35 games in AHL is not too bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valois View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I wouldn't write Palushaj off yet.
Required reading for the Palushaj haters (or doubters, at least)

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Palushaj was put in a tough position with Montreal last year, I am sure he, and management both did not expect for him to play as much as he did with the big club.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonshow View Post
Unfortunately, i doubt the Dawgs will see him.. when the Habs go to send him down after camp (which they will based on the fact that 13 guys are on 1 ways), he is going to have to clear waivers.. someone is going to snatch him up.. as much as Habs fans love to hate this guy, he is a proven producer that was never really given a shot.. yes 38 games w the big club, but 4mins a night as a 4th liner isnt really allowing the kid a shot to make it happen.. and he is 22..
Wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks pick him up with Gauthier there if Palushaj passes waivers.

Old
07-12-2012, 09:21 AM
kojiro

Good low risk, dept signing for the organization. You want to have a solid team in Hamilton while keeping a sense of competition for guys like Gallagher and Leblanc to push them a little. Plus you never know, Palushaj did look descent the few times he was on an offensive line late last season, he might have a great camp and force Bourque and Amstrong to work a little harder for that 3th line spot...

kojiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:24 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Very skilled player, big problem is he is USELESS in a bottom 6 role, he is defensive isn't really bad, but he needs to be put in a pure offensive role, and that is why he was doing so good in the AHL. With that said, Its going to be hard for him to crack the lineup IMO, with the logjam at RW, Leblanc, Gallagher, and Holland all going to be coming up.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:27 AM
CGG

Quote:
Quote:
Wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks pick him up with Gauthier there if Palushaj passes waivers.
Very few players are claimed on waivers this way. Even fewer forwards. Especially when that player (Palushaj) isn't good enough to make the roster of the last place team in the East.

If a team claims him then wants to send him down, Montreal has first priority to re-claim him. Therefore, a team will only claim him if they're convinced he can stick in the NHL.

Every team will have close to 13 guys on one-way contracts with a pile of rookies pressing to make the roster as well, including guys who score close to PPG in the AHL. While teams might make a move for a defenceman due to injuries (see Woywitka last year) they basically don't touch forwards.

Cite the case of a decent forward getting lost on waivers after training camp at the start of a season. There is no more waiver draft. It just doesn't happen any more.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:29 AM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-waiver-rules/

If I read the above correctly, he hasn't played enough NHL games to lose his waiver exemption.

BLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:29 AM
dunner

Quote:
He is not eligible for waivers

dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNY View Post

If I read the above correctly, he hasn't played enough NHL games to lose his waiver exemption.
That's good news. No worries then. I just hope that if he plays, he's put in a position that can exploit his talents instead of making him waste away playing 3 minutes a night with guys like stone wrists Staubitz and some other ****** ass forward.

Old
07-12-2012, 09:31 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunner View Post
2 way contracts don't need to clear waivers he can move freely between Hamilton and Montreal all year long.
Not true. 2-way contracts only determine how much money you make in the AHL vs. how much money you make in the NHL. A player's age and the number of NHL games played determines his waiver eligibility.

I blame EA Sports for misinforming millions of people about the nature of 1-way vs. 2-way contracts...

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:32 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Still higher on a top prospects list than people think.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:33 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Required reading for the Palushaj haters (or doubters, at least)
So what if he's 22? I'll keep doubting until he does more than simply enter the offensive zone, go around the net and do nothing with the puck. He's not a very good player. He doesn't have anything that makes him stand out except maybe speed. I hope for his sake he can find a permanent job, but I think it'll be elsewhere.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Frankc

I still believe this guy have the tool to play top9 in NHL.

Hopefully with new management, new coaches and his AHL coach last season, Jodoin, with the big club it will improve his chances to at least get a real shot.

A 1-year contract was the best thing to do with him.

Frankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:41 AM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Very skilled player, big problem is he is USELESS in a bottom 6 role, he is defensive isn't really bad, but he needs to be put in a pure offensive role, and that is why he was doing so good in the AHL. With that said, Its going to be hard for him to crack the lineup IMO, with the logjam at RW, Leblanc, Gallagher, and Holland all going to be coming up.
Very skilled ?!??!!?
How would you describe Crosby, Malkin or Stamkos then ?

At best, Palushaj is an average player in NHL.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
I wouldn't write Palushaj off yet. In his last call up he was outplaying his opponents night in and night out while playing on the fourth line. Considering he struggled early on, that is exactly what you want to see from a younger player. I still think he can be a top 9 forward in the right role, just got to give him that chance, which he has never had.
this. he was showing some great things by the end of the season... i dont have much hope for him moving forward (because of our prospects coming up) but he's more ready than any of them (including Leblanc who got better minutes) and could play a big role this year and increase his worth for a trade.

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:46 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valois View Post
He turns 23 in a couple weeks.

Quote:
I'd be surprised if he got picked off waivers, it would suck for the Dogs to lose him since he would be one of their top players and would help with the rookies as he will take off some of the offensive pressure since he will put up points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojiro View Post
Good low risk, dept signing for the organization. You want to have a solid team in Hamilton while keeping a sense of competition for guys like Gallagher and Leblanc to push them a little. Plus you never know, Palushaj did look descent the few times he was on an offensive line late last season, he might have a great camp and force Bourque and Amstrong to work a little harder for that 3th line spot...
Agreed, he would be a good guy to have with the Dogs to help with all the young prospects we are going to have this year. Having some "older" forward prospects like Palushaj (4th year pro), Dumont (3rd year pro), Schultz (3rd year pro), Blunden (7 year pro), Geoffrion (3rd year pro) should help, while it's not a very old group, all of them except Schultz have NHL experience at least so they should help the rookies with their transition to the AHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNY View Post

He has to clear waivers to be sent down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunner View Post
He is not eligible for waivers
He's a 4th year pro, he has to clear waivers to be sent down.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:49 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Very skilled ?!??!!?
How would you describe Crosby, Malkin or Stamkos then ?

At best, Palushaj is an average player in NHL.
I was relatively speaking.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote