HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Scott Gomez

Old
07-12-2012, 08:36 AM
devilsrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
As a Devil, Gomez was extremely effective, and raised his game in the playoffs. Why his game fell off to such a degree is puzzling, unless it really is complacency after signing a sweetheart contract. Before leaving the Devils, though, Gomez was a very good player.
He can't handle the pressure on a big market team. He couldn't handle it in NY and his game diminished even more in Montreal. I just don't think any team would take a chance on him unless the Habs will be on the hook for at least half his contract.

devilsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:45 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'd he willing to trade Keith Yandle for Scott Gomez. So long as the Habs throw in Galchenyuk and Morgan Ellis.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:47 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I completely agree with you on all aspects of this post. I don't think Montreal will bother to move him. I wonder if he would go play in Europe like Ales Kotalik did when the sabres buried him....I also wonder if he would even get through waivers....I think that Gomez @ 3 million would be a decent option for a few teams....
Gomez would never be available at half price (which would actually be around 3.65 mil). When claiming a player on regular waivers, the claiming team takes on the entire cap hit. If the player is unclaimed, the team then has 30 days or 10 NHL games to send the player down to the AHL. He does not have to be sent down, but if he is sent down, then he can only be recalled via re-entry waivers. That is when the cap hit gets cut in half for the claiming team, and the original team eats the other half.

If montreal sends Gomez to the AHL, I don't foresee any scenario in which they recall him. It would be the same situation as Redden. Redden has no chance at ever being recalled by the Rangers. They won't even allow him to come to training camp, because they won't risk him getting injured and being stuck on their cap.

As someone else said, the most likely scenario is a compliance buyout in the new CBA, for both players.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:51 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Habs already pretty much messed up a trade by getting him, they're not going to mess up another trade just to get rid of him. He's got 2 years left on his contract, maybe 1 if someone gets the idea of buying him out.

So you want him? Propose a low end pick, otherwise forget about it.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckaholic19 View Post
Unlikely trading partners for sure. But maybe something around Gomez for Komisarek + another one of TO's overpaid players?
Komi has 2 years, other "overpaid" players off the books at seasons end.

Scott Gomez is in the hook until 2014 at a hit of 7,357,143.

No thanks.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:05 AM
berto14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Komi has 2 years, other "overpaid" players off the books at seasons end.

Scott Gomez is in the hook until 2014 at a hit of 7,357,143.

No thanks.
Not entirely sure what your point is, but both Gomez and Komisarek are under contract until the end of the 2013-14 season.

berto14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Gomez would never be available at half price (which would actually be around 3.65 mil). When claiming a player on regular waivers, the claiming team takes on the entire cap hit. If the player is unclaimed, the team then has 30 days or 10 NHL games to send the player down to the AHL. He does not have to be sent down, but if he is sent down, then he can only be recalled via re-entry waivers. That is when the cap hit gets cut in half for the claiming team, and the original team eats the other half.

If montreal sends Gomez to the AHL, I don't foresee any scenario in which they recall him. It would be the same situation as Redden. Redden has no chance at ever being recalled by the Rangers. They won't even allow him to come to training camp, because they won't risk him getting injured and being stuck on their cap.

As someone else said, the most likely scenario is a compliance buyout in the new CBA, for both players.
A similar situation occurred when Dallas had enough of Avery and the Rangers agreed in advance with Dallas to take him on re-entry waivers.

I would prefer if we put Gomez on re-entry waivers if another team wants him, rather than him being in the AHL.

Most likely to least likely, imo:

Keep Gomez in Montreal
Re-entry waivers
Trade for equal garbage
Hamilton or Europe.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:07 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckaholic19 View Post
Unlikely trading partners for sure. But maybe something around Gomez for Komisarek + another one of TO's overpaid players?
Not even close, at least our overpaid guys can still go out on the ice stometimes.

Gomez + Galchenyuk
for
Komisarek + Kadri

There you go.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by berto14 View Post
Not entirely sure what your point is, but both Gomez and Komisarek are under contract until the end of the 2013-14 season.
UMMM....

Scott Gomez Actual salary=5.5mil this season,4.5mil next Cap hit =7,357,143 absolutely useless player

Mike Komisarek Actual salary=3.5 mil Cap hit=4.5 mil still has some use as a bottom pairing D-man

Need i say more?

Old
07-12-2012, 09:27 AM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
Except for a team in need of reaching the salary floor, I don't see teams taking on him.
Maybe but i think Montreal would have to him to get back a 7rd pick . His value is as a cap dump for Montreal ( No value to the team he is going to ) ,so they will have to pay some team to take him

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:27 AM
berto14

Quote:
UMMM....

Scott Gomez Actual salary=5.5mil this season,4.5mil next Cap hit =7,357,143 absolutely useless player

Mike Komisarek Actual salary=3.5 mil Cap hit=4.5 mil still has some use as a bottom pairing D-man

Need i say more?
I was referring to where you said that Komi has 2 years while Gomez was on the hook until 2014. That's the same amount of time.

Old
07-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by berto14 View Post
I was referring to where you said that Komi has 2 years while Gomez was on the hook until 2014. That's the same amount of time.
Sorry, i was refering to the 7+mil cap hit for 2 more years. Apologies.

Old
07-12-2012, 09:30 AM
supert

Quote:
UMMM....

Need i say more?
For once i would have to agree with a TML fan . As an Oiler fan I would not want either , but we are also stuck with Horcoff . But Horcoff still is an ok bottom 6 player , but very over paid

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:35 AM
berto14

Quote:
Sorry, i was refering to the 7+mil cap hit for 2 more years. Apologies.
All good. And your point is a good one -- Although Komi has little value, Gomez has negative value. Montreal's gonna have to pay someone to take that contract on.

Old
07-12-2012, 09:43 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
Not even close, at least our overpaid guys can still go out on the ice stometimes.

Gomez + Galchenyuk
for
Komisarek + Kadri

There you go.
I'm not sure that is enough to bribe another team to take Gomez.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
What would need to be added to make this trade to work?

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
It's enough for me...sign me up!!

Old
07-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Asking the value of Scott Gomez is like asking the value of having someone smash your hand with a hammer.

I think Habs only hope is to hang onto him this year... after that monies paid vs actual cap hit is very tilted and perhaps some cap floor team would have interest.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:11 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Montreal would still have to add IMO. Leino is on a bad contract, but still holds way more value then Gomez. The guy went an entire year (date wise not season) without scoring....I can't see any deal moving gomez getting too much value for him....

Maybe something along the lines of:

Gomez
2nd round pick
Bottom six winger/decent prospect

For

Finley
Pardy
nah it's cool, we'll keep Gomez. I wouldn't do the first one. Don't want Leino. Yes, better than Gomez right now, but Gomez contract ends in 2 years, we can wait, I don't want to deal with another stupid contract for more time. In 2 years it's over, that's it.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:17 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
As a Devil, Gomez was extremely effective, and raised his game in the playoffs. Why his game fell off to such a degree is puzzling, unless it really is complacency after signing a sweetheart contract. Before leaving the Devils, though, Gomez was a very good player.
The reason Gomez was effective as a Devil was that he was hidden in a very strong system. Gomez is a one dimensional player who does just one thing well: gets the puck to the other team's blueline. Once he reaches the blueline, all bets are off. He has trouble getting it past the blueline, and even if he does, he often has no clue what to do with it once he's in the offensive zone.

This wasn't a huge issue in NJ, because their team defense and their attention to detail in the neutral zone meant that his routine turnovers in transition didn't cause a major negative impact.

When the Devils were at their best, Gomez was never one of the most important players on the team. When he was, the Devils weren't nearly as good. Lou understood this, and was smart in offering Gomez a salary suitable for a skilled and talented, but not particularly intelligent, second line center.

What made matters worse is that once he was thrust into one of the main roles, he suddenly decided that he was something of a goalscorer. That worked for him ONCE, in 2005-06, when scoring was up league wide. It never worked again, but for the next few years, he continued to take an incredibly high number of shots, despite having one of the league's worth shooting percentages. This is a guy with a terrible shot, too.

He's one of the most inefficient players in NHL history, as well as one of the most overrated. Of players classified as top six players, or as playmakers, he's hands down the worst decision maker I've ever seen. I've never seen a player in his role waste as many offensive zone opportunities. He's the only 70 point player that probably hurts his team more than he helps it simply because of how many offensive zone possessions or scoring opportunities he wastes as opposed to how many he converts. Think about how difficult it was for him to build chemistry with wingers, how few players in his career he ever truly looked comfortable with. That has a lot to do with the fact that he lacks vision, and has zero hockey sense.

He didn't fall off, and he didn't really get complacent, because he was always somewhat lazy, he'd been out of shape on numerous occasions throughout his career, and he'd been through motivation issues. What happened is, when he got to the Rangers, he got exposed for what he really is: a player that needs a plethora of conditions in place just to be adequate, much less successful.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
nah it's cool, we'll keep Gomez. I wouldn't do the first one. Don't want Leino. Yes, better than Gomez right now, but Gomez contract ends in 2 years, we can wait, I don't want to deal with another stupid contract for more time. In 2 years it's over, that's it.
Exactly how we have looked at Komi, Leafs and Habs don't have cash issues, so why pay to unload a contract with only 2 seasons left?

Old
07-12-2012, 11:22 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Exactly how we have looked at Komi, Leafs and Habs don't have cash issues, so why pay to unload a contract with only 2 seasons left?
Seriously, if people want these guys, offer a similar type of player with similar value/terms or whatever. I mean, there's guys around the league in the komisarek pay range, the ballards, kaberles etc... who also may not be perfect fits or need a change of scenary and you know, a little + here or there makes sense, but nah, I don't want Di pietro, I don't want Leino or whatever. I'm good. Leafs fans should feel the same and I don't blame them, contrary to popular belief Gomez and Komisarek are still NHL players. Depth NHL players, but NHL players, and if they were really so bad they aren't NHL caliber, we have the money to deal with it.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:54 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
The reason Gomez was effective as a Devil was that he was hidden in a very strong system. Gomez is a one dimensional player who does just one thing well: gets the puck to the other team's blueline. Once he reaches the blueline, all bets are off. He has trouble getting it past the blueline, and even if he does, he often has no clue what to do with it once he's in the offensive zone.

This wasn't a huge issue in NJ, because their team defense and their attention to detail in the neutral zone meant that his routine turnovers in transition didn't cause a major negative impact.

When the Devils were at their best, Gomez was never one of the most important players on the team. When he was, the Devils weren't nearly as good. Lou understood this, and was smart in offering Gomez a salary suitable for a skilled and talented, but not particularly intelligent, second line center.

What made matters worse is that once he was thrust into one of the main roles, he suddenly decided that he was something of a goalscorer. That worked for him ONCE, in 2005-06, when scoring was up league wide. It never worked again, but for the next few years, he continued to take an incredibly high number of shots, despite having one of the league's worth shooting percentages. This is a guy with a terrible shot, too.

He's one of the most inefficient players in NHL history, as well as one of the most overrated. Of players classified as top six players, or as playmakers, he's hands down the worst decision maker I've ever seen. I've never seen a player in his role waste as many offensive zone opportunities. He's the only 70 point player that probably hurts his team more than he helps it simply because of how many offensive zone possessions or scoring opportunities he wastes as opposed to how many he converts. Think about how difficult it was for him to build chemistry with wingers, how few players in his career he ever truly looked comfortable with. That has a lot to do with the fact that he lacks vision, and has zero hockey sense.

He didn't fall off, and he didn't really get complacent, because he was always somewhat lazy, he'd been out of shape on numerous occasions throughout his career, and he'd been through motivation issues. What happened is, when he got to the Rangers, he got exposed for what he really is: a player that needs a plethora of conditions in place just to be adequate, much less successful.
Could not have written it better. This describes with precision how Gomez has been playing in Montreal. I even see some parallels with what Kovalev was doing in his last days with the habs as well. They're just not players you can rely on to make the team better. It's the other way around, the team makes them better if they fit.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post

That's Gomez in a nutshell, I'm surprised the Rangers offered him such a contract and even more surprised the Habs traded good assets to land him.

I think he's gonna be in the AHL next year or bought out, his value is negative and trading him for another bad contract or 2 is just 4 quarters for a dollar and in some cases it's even worse... (contracts that have more than 2 years remaining)

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Could not have written it better. This describes with precision how Gomez has been playing in Montreal. I even see some parallels with what Kovalev was doing in his last days with the habs as well. They're just not players you can rely on to make the team better. It's the other way around, the team makes them better if they fit.
I'm sorry, but Kovalev's done some really great things in MTL. Sure, he was inconsistent, but he was on the scoresheet more often than not, the guy could skate around the best of em and he has magic ****ing hands.

Gomez has sucked donkey balls since he's joined the Habs, his first season was a lackluster and we can pretty much forget about what followed. ONly thing he's good for is comic relief and 7.3M cap hit is about 7.2M too much for comic relief.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote