HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What happened in your best game?

Old
07-11-2012, 06:27 PM
toedrag87

vCash: 500
What happened in your best game?

About my third or forth year of playing men's league hockey I wanted to move up to a b league team so I signed us up for the b league. Well there weren't enough people signed up for the a league so they moved us up. I've never though I was a big scoring threat but the previous years I potted between 3-5 goals a session.
Well I didn't score the whole regular season thanks to them bumping us up a skill level.
We only had one playoff game but I scored both our goals that game both times right outta the penalty box. My buddy blocked a shot from the point and got on a break away right when I was leaving the box he shot low farside and the rebound went right to my tape with the goalie on his back.
The other goal I was once again leaving the box and the puck deflected about 20 ft. In the air I caught it and soft tossed it like a baseball, swung, and one hopped it off the ice, off the post, and in. We lost 5-2 but that was my beat game. What happened in your best game? (I apologize for the structure of this post. I'm doing it from a phone.)

toedrag87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

My best game was probably winning our Beer League Cup a few years ago.

We had a weird year. We won only 3 of our first 18 or so games, before going on a huge winning streak straight through the round robin and the playoffs. We got to the final and we were down 1-0 in the 3rd and really couldn't seem to get anything going. Things got worse when two of our guys took penalties, putting the other team on a 5-on-3.

One of our guys managed to get the puck down the ice and forced their goalie to cover it, so I went out for the faceoff. Knowing we were down two men, I decided to try and poke it past the other guy for a shot on goal. The puck dropped, I perfectly poked it between the center's legs, stepped around him and ripped it right off the cross bar and in. Goalie barely moved. I probably couldn't do that again if I had 100 times to try it, but for two seconds, I looked like an All Star.

I followed that up with the most excited goal celly of my life (dropped to one knee and pumped my fist...understated but classy ), and then nearly took my defenseman's arm off when I high fived him.

A few minutes later, my linemate scored to make it 2-1. Then with about five minutes left, my line was out again and we went in 3-on-1. I carried the puck and dished it to our weakest guy (the one that hadn't scored) and drove the net. He went to pass the puck back to me, but the goalie reached out to pokecheck it - and it inadvertently deflected straight through his legs and in. I then nearly tackled my teammate with my excitement.

So we won 3-1, our line got all the goals including a shorthanded 3-against-5 and a ridonkulously lucky bounce. We felt pretty good.

And the Cup was actually a half decent trophy for a beer league. We had a lot of fun drinking out of it.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:11 PM
esidebill

I've only been playing a short time (7 weeks?), but I had a hat trick in a pick up last week!

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Canadian91

I've NEVER gotten a hat trick

When I get it, I guess that will be my best game ever... although it'll be hard to top the 2 goals and 4 assists that I got in a 8-7 win a few years back.

Canadian91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:21 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian91 View Post

When I get it, I guess that will be my best game ever... although it'll be hard to top the 2 goals and 4 assists that I got in a 8-7 win a few years back.
It'll come one day. Just gotta get lucky!

Old
07-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Ozz

Best played game would probably be leading a 0-4 comeback to win (amazingly the same thing happened again to us vs. the same team a week later), but game stat-wise would have to be my 7 goal, 6 assist game. My linemate had 6 and 7, and yes they were all to each other. I've had a couple double hat trick games, they were 14 years apart (though I did take 10 years off from playing in the middle).

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian91 View Post

A 6 point game is pretty damn good. Honestly, the 4 helpers is better than the 3 goals.

Old
07-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Best played game would probably be leading a 0-4 comeback to win (amazingly the same thing happened again to us vs. the same team a week later), but game stat-wise would have to be my 7 goal, 6 assist game. My linemate had 6 and 7, and yes they were all to each other. I've had a couple double hat trick games, they were 14 years apart (though I did take 10 years off from playing in the middle).
I came close to the double hattie once. We won a game 21-5, I had 8 goals (long story as to why we kept running up the score. But the reason would rhyme with "shmey shmere shmeal smools"). The funny bit though was that our best player didn't score once, when everyone else scored at least twice. (we had 6 guys). He just kept trying to stickhandle through the entire team at once.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

vCash: 100
About 6 years ago back when I was playing in a league, I didn't necessarily have my best game ever but it sticks out in my mind. I felt productive, was moving the puck well through the neutral zone, and in the second half (our league played two 25-minute run time halves, was kind of strange) I set someone up for a goal. My sister had come into town and invited some ******** guy friend of hers and I bit on some of his baiting and bet him some money (I don't remember the exact amount to be honest) that I'd score a goal.

I wasn't even thinking about the bet (or watching the clock) when we were up by a goal late and the puck came free into the neutral zone for me to chase down for an empty net opportunity. I skated in carefully to make sure I wouldn't pull a Patrick Stefan, and I swear the buzzer sounded right as the puck hit the back of the goal. The referees/scorekeeper count it, though. That's when I noticed my sister's ******** friend standing by the glass looking angry, and remembered the bet I had made with him.

Don't think I've ever felt that good on the ice before.

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Scored four goals because I was playing against crappy opponents.

On my first shift, saw the D was a handing the puck like a live grenade so I dashed in, lifted his stick, took the puck, shot at the goalie's pad and shoveled the rebound back in.

Second goal was a wrister from the point. Ringed it off the left post and in.

Third goal was a tap in from a backdoor play.

Fourth goal was high stick side from the slot.

The best part is, I scored all of these on my coach (who plays goalie).

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:16 PM
SouthpawTRK

Of all the games that I've played, in all honesty, I don't think that I've played my best game yet. I've only scored one goal since I started playing and they (the score keeper) gave my goal to another player.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
Of all the games that I've played, in all honesty, I don't think that I've played my best game yet. I've only scored one goal since I started playing and they (the score keeper) gave my goal to another player.
Good job on your first goal.

Now if they're anything like the scorekeepers in our leagues, they'll eventually end up giving your goals to goalies, players on the bench, and players who aren't even playing that day!

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:33 AM
VanIslander
10 Years of ATDing

I, a defender, rushed up and scored the opening goal off of a pass from the corner. Our team was the worst in the league and the opposition was the league's best team, so it was a big surprise that we led 1-0 for much of the game, visions of a major upset, GWG and hero celebrations for mediocre me... that was the height of my glory. Late in the game the other team scored twice to win 2-1 and keep them on top and us in the basement and me without a best player of the game honors for what would have been my first and only time.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:53 AM
SkateThroughIt

I was playing a game and went through the other team. When it came to the last guy I went to toe drag around him and the puck popped up over his head, landing on the opposite side where I picked it up. Leg kick forhand backhand goal.

The rest of the game was aight.

SkateThroughIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Last summer I played up two levels from normal, so when our team got "moved up" a level, I was kind of playing down. Had 4g + 1a in my first game back.

I had I think two breakaway goals stealing the puck from their D and the goalie was playing too far back in the net so it was easy to shoot around. One goal was a one timer after a long forecheck and they fed the puck to me from the corner. I think another goal was just a nice snipe.

After that, I started trying to screw around and had I think three more breakaways where I tried to deke but one I went too far and missed the net and another I hit the pipe.

Stat line was 4g+1a +4 10 shots.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:39 AM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Last summer I played up two levels from normal, so when our team got "moved up" a level, I was kind of playing down. Had 4g + 1a in my first game back.

I had I think two breakaway goals stealing the puck from their D and the goalie was playing too far back in the net so it was easy to shoot around. One goal was a one timer after a long forecheck and they fed the puck to me from the corner. I think another goal was just a nice snipe.

After that, I started trying to screw around and had I think three more breakaways where I tried to deke but one I went too far and missed the net and another I hit the pipe.

Stat line was 4g+1a +4 10 shots.
All that and the defense wasn't getting a little chippy with you?

Old
07-12-2012, 10:07 AM
BernieParent

I think my best game ever as a goalie was a 3-0 shutout, where the opposing coach pulled his goalie with more than a minute left to break the shutout. Their best player was a Dman with a cannon of a slapshot, and he stayed out for pretty much the last few minutes of the game. I don't think the puck left our zone the whole time. All they did was feed him the puck at the point, and as he was winding up, I remember the players parted like the Red Sea. Some I stopped -- with one going off the shaft of my stick -- and the others went wide, and we ended up blanking them.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Had a 4 goal 1 assist game in a Bantam third period semifinal to come back from a 4 goal defecit and win 5-4. People I didn't know were actually coming up to me after the game telling me how awesome it was.

My best play, though, came in midget. Blocked a shot from the point on a penalty-kill, and it ricochet'd off my shin-pad into the neutral zone past the point man. Blew past him for the breakaway. Deke once, deke twice, but the goalie waited me out and deflected my shot into the corner. But I'm not giving up that easy. I peel off around the net into the corner where the trailing defenseman was scooping up the loose puck.

I'm not the biggest guy out there, kind of tall and slim back then so laying guys out was never my thing. Plus, the defenseman was built solidly. Squat dude, thick, low center of gravity. Ray Bourque-ish.

Not sure where it came from but as I was peeling back into the play I built up a pretty good head of steam and laid this guy out as he was dicking around in the corner. Like, flat on his ass. The crowd was sparse but I can still remember the OHHs coming from the stands.

I pick up the puck, charge back hard towards the net and stuff that **** in harder than I've stuffed anything ever.

It felt good.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:38 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Scored 6 goals playing defense in what was probably a C roller hockey league, no doubt my best personal accomplishment and one of those nights where you know something good was going to happen every time you touched the puck. My best ice hockey team accomplishment was getting the game winning goal in the semi-finals (first playoff game to advance to the finals) and then getting the game winner in the finals. That was the thing that had eluded me throughout my rec league career.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
Tell us about the one goal, then!

I remember my first goal outside the confines of my backyard with a tennis ball...I was six years old playing in Tyke (Beginners, whatever you want to call it). I fell on the puck and slid into the net. Didn't stop me from celebrating like Mike Foligno, though.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Ace Dreamer

My best game was probably one where I scored 6 goals in one game, and assisted on 1 other, playing RW. We won the game 9-2. I consider myself more of a goal scorer rather than a passer, as as soon as I get a good opportunity for a shot, I ususally take it. I also play a power forward type game, as I am 15 1/2 years old, 5'11", 180lbs. I was always on the puck in that game, and when I didn't have it, I did everything I could to get it. Let's see, what were my goals like...

The first one, I got in the passing lane, and one-timed an opponent's pass, it went low blocker side, and into the net. My next few were wrist shots from the right wing, and I remember another was where I went to the front of the net, picked up the rebound, reached around a sprauled out goalie, and tucked it into th back of the net.

I also remember in that game, I forced many turnovers from the opposition, and turned them into quality scoring chances for my team.

Overall, I had a really good game. I also remember that the next game, I scored 2 goals, then only 2 assists over the next 2 games

Ace Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:14 PM
newfr4u

my best game hasn't happened yet. :p

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Danglous

Ice- Showed up to my game hammered in the 2nd period. Step onto the ice for my first shift, get the puck in the defensive zone and skate through all 5 of their guys and blow it past the goalies glove

Roller- I got a hat trick and we won 6-5 I believe

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
All that and the defense wasn't getting a little chippy with you?
I got a pretty good crosscheck to one arm and a couple slashes but nothing too bad. Most of the time though the puck was in the net before they were close to me.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:27 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Sophomore year in HS hockey. During the season I was a solid player, but not one of the best. When the playoffs came around, I stepped it up. I was going balls out on every shift. I was a wrecking ball, and was crushing kids left and right and getting great scoring chances. The coach noticed, and put me on the "power line" when we were doen 1 with a few mins to go.

I scored the tying goal with a few mins to go, and all I remember was jumping up and down, and two of my senior friends going crazy because I gave the team a chance to win, and extend their seasons.

We ended up losing in OT, and I only scored one goal. But It was my best performance, by far.

Well, that same year a house league needed kids for a tournament, and I know the guy who runs it, so he let me do it for free. Tore that **** up, but it was a house league so I don't count it.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote