HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

cchl 2012-2013 season

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-11-2012, 08:25 AM
  #126
Ottawa Guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey124 View Post
pre-season starts mid august I believe.
The reality is the first 10 days or so are full of meaningless games with very few players that will ultimately end of playing in the league this season. Some of the teams like Nepean and Gloucester have historically run big training Camps that have 4 or more teams. I would expect rosters to be reduced to a reasonable size by Aug 24-26th weekend and you will start to get a better feel for what teams will really look like.

Ottawa Guy is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 02:04 PM
  #127
ORRT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
The reality is the first 10 days or so are full of meaningless games with very few players that will ultimately end of playing in the league this season. Some of the teams like Nepean and Gloucester have historically run big training Camps that have 4 or more teams. I would expect rosters to be reduced to a reasonable size by Aug 24-26th weekend and you will start to get a better feel for what teams will really look like.
And yet one team ends up in top group and the other doesn't.

ORRT is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 02:49 PM
  #128
eddyshack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Eastern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRT View Post
And yet one team ends up in top group and the other doesn't.
Very true. And two teams will battle for the bottom - Gloucester Rangers and the Cumberland Grads. So sad...


Last edited by eddyshack: 07-13-2012 at 12:25 AM.
eddyshack is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 06:29 PM
  #129
hockey124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Gloucester lost 14 players from their 2010-2011 either to ohl/ncaa or graduation. what did you expect their season would be like last year?? MASSIVE REBUILD. In 10-11, finished 4th

hockey124 is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:00 PM
  #130
BadgerKnight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 489
vCash: 500
Colt addition

Colts add defenceman Carl Belizario who has been playing the last two seasons at Millbrook School.
http://www.standard-freeholder.com/2...ffensive-d-man

BadgerKnight is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:18 PM
  #131
eddyshack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Eastern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerKnight View Post
Colts add defenceman Carl Belizario who has been playing the last two seasons at Millbrook School.
http://www.standard-freeholder.com/2...ffensive-d-man
More Colts signings to follow....could be interesting.

eddyshack is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 08:32 PM
  #132
hardfacts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey124 View Post
Gloucester lost 14 players from their 2010-2011 either to ohl/ncaa or graduation. what did you expect their season would be like last year?? MASSIVE REBUILD. In 10-11, finished 4th
GOOD TEAMS...do not REBUILD....they RELOAD....so what if they lost that many kids...Pembroke does every year and look at them....matter of fact look at the so called expansion canadians....have reloaded since year two....teams that work hard...do well...proven fact....look at nepean..PG recruits hard...won league....hard work = success...and in my opinion...there are about 7 teams that dont work hard....

hardfacts is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 09:01 PM
  #133
hockey124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
true! hopefully the all teams have made key signings
nepean signed 4 good ones


Last edited by hockey124: 07-11-2012 at 10:43 PM.
hockey124 is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 10:54 PM
  #134
eddyshack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Eastern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardfacts View Post
GOOD TEAMS...do not REBUILD....they RELOAD....so what if they lost that many kids...Pembroke does every year and look at them....matter of fact look at the so called expansion canadians....have reloaded since year two....teams that work hard...do well...proven fact....look at nepean..PG recruits hard...won league....hard work = success...and in my opinion...there are about 7 teams that dont work hard....
Great post and you are absolutely right.

However, it appears that there are only 6 teams that do not put the effort into scouting, recruiting and signing. It is evident Kemptville is working hard to be better.

The teams that do not make the effort and investment in time, expertise and resources have no right to complain whatsoever. Perhaps their fans have a right to complain.

That is what is so upsetting and sad about Cumberland and Gloucester, there is little evidence that they are working hard to become better. If all teams worked hard to be better, it would be better hockey and a better league.

"you eat what you kill"


Last edited by eddyshack: 07-11-2012 at 11:41 PM.
eddyshack is offline  
Old
07-12-2012, 08:52 AM
  #135
Ottawa Guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyshack View Post
Great post and you are absolutely right.

However, it appears that there are only 6 teams that do not put the effort into scouting, recruiting and signing. It is evident Kemptville is working hard to be better.

The teams that do not make the effort and investment in time, expertise and resources have no right to complain whatsoever. Perhaps their fans have a right to complain.

That is what is so upsetting and sad about Cumberland and Gloucester, there is little evidence that they are working hard to become better. If all teams worked hard to be better, it would be better hockey and a better league.

"you eat what you kill"
There are 5 teams in the league, IMO that have a proven track record at recruiting, PLK, CW, CP, Nepean and Brock, over a longer period of time. Hawkesbury did a good job last year but seem to only be successful in Quebec, mainly Montreal (big enough City though that could be enough). I agree that Kemptville seems to be turning a corner, DG in Ottawa works hard at it also, SF although a lot of local players HC always brings in some good players. In the end I believe that there are 9 teams having various levels of success at bringing in talent right now. Not everyone is going to be successful immediately or do not have all the resources/experience to be right away, but at least these teams seem to be working on it.

Ottawa Guy is offline  
Old
07-12-2012, 09:48 AM
  #136
valleydude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardfacts View Post
GOOD TEAMS...do not REBUILD....they RELOAD....so what if they lost that many kids...Pembroke does every year and look at them....matter of fact look at the so called expansion canadians....have reloaded since year two....teams that work hard...do well...proven fact....look at nepean..PG recruits hard...won league....hard work = success...and in my opinion...there are about 7 teams that dont work hard....
What about the question, why do they have to recruit so hard ?

Part of the problem lies in the way the ODMHA has screwed up the Major Midget program. Most kids in the Ottawa area don't pursue hockey after Minor Midget unless they are:
1. Good enough to play Jr A
2. Rich enough to go to Prep School.

Fix this problem and maybe you won't need to bring all your 18-20 year old's in from outside of the Branch.

valleydude is offline  
Old
07-12-2012, 10:01 AM
  #137
upinarms
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 205
vCash: 500
I have heard this issue of Major Midget being screwed up for years. Problem is no one knows how to fix it. Would be nice to have more local kids playing Junior A, but in order to compete at FPC or RBC you need to recrute. Controling imports in total CJHL would be only way to put teams on even par for National tournaments. Can't see that happening.

upinarms is offline  
Old
07-12-2012, 10:05 AM
  #138
Ottawa Guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotitans View Post
What about the question, why do they have to recruit so hard ?

Part of the problem lies in the way the ODMHA has screwed up the Major Midget program. Most kids in the Ottawa area don't pursue hockey after Minor Midget unless they are:
1. Good enough to play Jr A
2. Rich enough to go to Prep School.

Fix this problem and maybe you won't need to bring all your 18-20 year old's in from outside of the Branch.
Major Midget is not strong because of all the players able to go to Junior as 16 year olds, that is not ODMHA it is Hockey Canada and the ODHA. There are lots of good players playing hockey after Minor Midget. In this area most players feel that Junior B is a better place to go than Major Midget, cost/travel is lower and level of play is better, most Junior A teams prefer their guys to play at that level. May not be as much practice but you can make up for that in other ways.


Last edited by Ottawa Guy: 07-12-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Ottawa Guy is offline  
Old
07-12-2012, 10:48 AM
  #139
67sfan
Registered User
 
67sfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
ODMHA is getting better. When I played in the early 2000's there was no AAA teams unless you played for the Titans (and I don't know anyone who did). You ended up playing AA and then made the jump to Jr if you were good enough. Hell a guy I knew only played A, walked on to the South Ottawa Canadians Jr. B team and ended up in Gloucester with the Rangers.

At least these days with the Jr 67's and the Jr Sens AAA programs the kids have some options we definitely did not have.

67sfan is offline  
Old
07-12-2012, 12:22 PM
  #140
valleydude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67sfan View Post
ODMHA is getting better. When I played in the early 2000's there was no AAA teams unless you played for the Titans (and I don't know anyone who did). You ended up playing AA and then made the jump to Jr if you were good enough. Hell a guy I knew only played A, walked on to the South Ottawa Canadians Jr. B team and ended up in Gloucester with the Rangers.

At least these days with the Jr 67's and the Jr Sens AAA programs the kids have some options we definitely did not have.
My original post was certainly not to take away from the improvements made to the ODMHA AAA program. But you simply can not ignore what is going on with our 16 year old players. Take a look at the OPJHL rosters and tell me if you see any differences between them and the CCHL.

valleydude is offline  
Old
07-12-2012, 12:38 PM
  #141
valleydude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
Major Midget is not strong because of all the players able to go to Junior as 16 year olds, that is not ODMHA it is Hockey Canada and the ODHA. There are lots of good players playing hockey after Minor Midget. In this area most players feel that Junior B is a better place to go than Major Midget, cost/travel is lower and level of play is better, most Junior A teams prefer their guys to play at that level. May not be as much practice but you can make up for that in other ways.
Do you believe that the rules around 16 year old's playing in Junior are consistent across the country ? I don't have the information formally, but my belief is they are totally different, especially around the trading of 16 year old cards between Jr. levels.

valleydude is offline  
Old
07-12-2012, 12:56 PM
  #142
67sfan
Registered User
 
67sfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotitans View Post
My original post was certainly not to take away from the improvements made to the ODMHA AAA program. But you simply can not ignore what is going on with our 16 year old players. Take a look at the OPJHL rosters and tell me if you see any differences between them and the CCHL.
Oh don't get me wrong. In no way do I think the ODMHA is anywhere near the potential it should be. There a lot of very talented players in Ottawa who eitehr have to leave town or fall between the cracks.

For the second biggest city in the most populace province in Canada, our minor hockey leagues are junk at the elite level compared to other cities of similar size.

67sfan is offline  
Old
07-12-2012, 01:17 PM
  #143
valleydude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67sfan View Post
Oh don't get me wrong. In no way do I think the ODMHA is anywhere near the potential it should be. There a lot of very talented players in Ottawa who eitehr have to leave town or fall between the cracks.

For the second biggest city in the most populace province in Canada, our minor hockey leagues are junk at the elite level compared to other cities of similar size.
I still think we do fine up to and including Minor Midget. Each year we seem to get a least one, sometimes two teams into the OHL Cup quarter finals. The big drop is Major Midget and because of that there are no "qualified" 18-20 year olds to fill the CCHL so they pull from the prep schools, Quebec Major Midget, OHA, CIHA, etc...

valleydude is offline  
Old
07-13-2012, 11:59 AM
  #144
Ottawa Guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Kingston Frontenacs‏@KingstonFronts

Fronts sign 17 year old forward Marc Beckstead to an OHL contract. For details see http://www.kingstonfrontenacs.com

Ottawa Guy is offline  
Old
07-13-2012, 12:29 PM
  #145
oldnucks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
Kingston Frontenacs‏@KingstonFronts

Fronts sign 17 year old forward Marc Beckstead to an OHL contract. For details see http://www.kingstonfrontenacs.com
cumberland takes another hit

oldnucks is offline  
Old
07-13-2012, 01:22 PM
  #146
Lymo
Registered User
 
Lymo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
Brockville Braves

Braves camp starts today, July 13 -15, any updates on them?

Lymo is offline  
Old
07-13-2012, 02:54 PM
  #147
eddyshack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Eastern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnucks View Post
cumberland takes another hit
Very sad.

eddyshack is offline  
Old
07-13-2012, 05:57 PM
  #148
overtheboards
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 268
vCash: 500
how many players @ braves camp are players that Jamie Mayo recruited ?

overtheboards is offline  
Old
07-13-2012, 06:30 PM
  #149
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67sfan View Post
Oh don't get me wrong. In no way do I think the ODMHA is anywhere near the potential it should be. There a lot of very talented players in Ottawa who eitehr have to leave town or fall between the cracks.

For the second biggest city in the most populace province in Canada, our minor hockey leagues are junk at the elite level compared to other cities of similar size.
Why do you think its junk?

wjhl2009fan is offline  
Old
07-13-2012, 06:31 PM
  #150
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotitans View Post
My original post was certainly not to take away from the improvements made to the ODMHA AAA program. But you simply can not ignore what is going on with our 16 year old players. Take a look at the OPJHL rosters and tell me if you see any differences between them and the CCHL.
Keep in mind the Opjhl has what around 30 teams so there are far far more openings.

wjhl2009fan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.