HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 Canada World Junior team - anyone care to take a stab?

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2012, 01:07 AM
RJQuack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey365 View Post
I don't see Mackinnon playing anything else but center for that team. Most likely 2nd line center
This. Obviusly there's going to be a lot of centers so someone would theoretically have to play off wing, but I don't think they'd shift him even though he'd could be better suited for RW.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:14 AM
KareemTrustfund
As hip as they come

vCash: 50
What goalies do you guys think will have a shot at making the team.

Malcolm Subban , Matt Murray and Jordan Binnington are my guesses..

Old
07-12-2012, 01:17 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by KareemTrustfund View Post
What goalies do you guys think will have a shot at making the team.

Malcolm Subban , Matt Murray and Jordan Binnington are my guesses..
Laurent Brossoit.

Old
07-12-2012, 03:20 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
I don't see any Canadian forwards who were drafted this past June making the NHL next season.

Hockey Canada took notice in 2009. The Canadian team, was comprised of Tavares, Evender Kane and Ryan Ellis who were heading towards their draft year. It wouldn't surprise me if the upcoming team contains 2 to 3 undrafted players again.

I believe it will be up front. We are solid on D, especially last draft, more Ds were picked in the 1st round than forwards. Hence, making a negative statement on the 94s forward.

The usual suspects would be:

Mackinnon: best 95 player, big strong and speedy, did exceptionally well at the Subway Super series last year

Duclair: his speed would be of benefit on the larger ice surface in Russia, without counting his shiftyness

Lazar: Lack of scorring power on the CND team, Lazar would fill that function superbly

Drouin: Playmaker abilities are uncomparable, would be beneficial against Russians

I see 2 or even 3 players from this list making the 2013 Canadian team.

Based on stats only, these 4 players can match the following players who's been invited to the Canada-Russia Challenge:

Hudon, 25G, 41A, 66 pts
Wilson, 9G, 18A 27 pts
Sutter, 28G, 21A, 59 pts
Leipsic, 28G, 30A, 58 pts
Lessio, 34G, 25A, 59 pts
Jenner, 22G, 27A, 59 pts
That was before one chief scout was hired by Hockey Canada in 2010 and is responsible for dishing out the invites to selection camp. If you are not familiar with who the chief scout is for HC, I suggest you do some digging into his unimpressive record, both with HC and his previous experience in the NHL as a head scout.

Old
07-12-2012, 09:39 AM
hockey365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
That was before one chief scout was hired by Hockey Canada in 2010 and is responsible for dishing out the invites to selection camp. If you are not familiar with who the chief scout is for HC, I suggest you do some digging into his unimpressive record, both with HC and his previous experience in the NHL as a head scout.
Yup, did some homework, can we start a petition to have K.P replaced???? Poor Edmonton!!!!

I wasn't too happy that HC didn't invite Moose Fred Gauthier. He would be the ideal candidate for P.K and 4th line centre. I thought it was because he played Midget AAA last season or because he didn't have a good U-17 tournament last winter. These 2 factors might of played against him. But they should of invited him to take a closer look, but........ scouting is an opinion!!!

Besides that on the Qc side, the scouting team invited all the usual suspects.

Hopefully, K.P will listen to the folks around him. The CND team would benefit from 2 to 3 of these 95 born players. Not just a little, A LOT!!!

I'll light a candle this weekend at church, so K.P gets Divine intervention from the ice rink up above!!!!

Old
07-12-2012, 09:44 AM
Raisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Drouin? Duclair? Lazar? Rychel? Now Sam Reinhart??

Hockey Canada is not picking any of these guys, I dont know what is so hard to understand that they do not pick 17yo's unless they are that far ahead of the curve (Mackinnon). Unless you guys are talking about the Ivan Hlinka? In that case yes all of those players will be there. Or maybe your talking about the 2014 world juniors? People realize that 93's are eligible right?

Matt Puempel
Ty Rattie
Ryan Strome
Phillip Danault
Brett Ritchie
Boone Jenner
Lucas Lessio
Nick Cousins
Seth Griffith
Daniel Catenacci

these are the players that hockey canada will take a long look at
Rychel may get a look, he's a late birthday, so although 2013 is his draft year he's basically the same age as guys who were drafted this year. Having said that, I don't think he makes it this year.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Yup, did some homework, can we start a petition to have K.P replaced???? Poor Edmonton!!!!

I wasn't too happy that HC didn't invite Moose Fred Gauthier. He would be the ideal candidate for P.K and 4th line centre. I thought it was because he played Midget AAA last season or because he didn't have a good U-17 tournament last winter. These 2 factors might of played against him. But they should of invited him to take a closer look, but........ scouting is an opinion!!!

Besides that on the Qc side, the scouting team invited all the usual suspects.

Hopefully, K.P will listen to the folks around him. The CND team would benefit from 2 to 3 of these 95 born players. Not just a little, A LOT!!!

I'll light a candle this weekend at church, so K.P gets Divine intervention from the ice rink up above!!!!
Poor Edmonton? They smartened up eventually. now it is poor us!!! I make my opinions known to the brass at HC. I suggest you do the same.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Joe Hallenback

You are never going to win the World Juniors with alot of 17 year olds on your team

Old
07-12-2012, 10:29 AM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Interesting comment, which does have some grounding.

I always thought Al Murray was a stud for picking camp rosters. He brought in guys who had skill, size, speed, no matter what the age. He also did a good job in picking guys previously thought to be erratic like PK Subban, guys who didnt have draft hype like Simmonds, and Benn

I mean in 09, Canada had 7 undrafted players at the final camp: Tavares, Kadri, Hall, Schenn, Duchene, Ellis and Kane. 3 of those guys made the team.

Since 09 Canada has never had more than 4 undrafted players at camp, no more than 1 undrafted player (Hall, Couturier and Murray) and no 17 year olds

Old
07-12-2012, 10:34 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
You are never going to win the World Juniors with alot of 17 year olds on your team
I just think people are trying to reconcile the dearth of Canadian forward talent in the last draft year with the abundance of talent in the upcoming draft year.

What would you suggest?

What theyve been doing the last few years isnt working.

Replacing Prendergast should be the first order of business.

Firing whoever hired him would be the next.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:01 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
And like many posters have said a lot of those 95's not named MacKinnon have more to offer than those players you mentioned... I don't know why some can't get over the age.
Drouin was the consensus #1 if Mackinnon wasn't going to the Q...

That's being forgotten... And Duclair would gve gone 3 but he was serious about NCAA...

Those 2 would have gone 1st in separate birth years.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Joe Hallenback

They lost because the goaltending sucked when they needed it the most

They don't have to do anything different. They lost to Russia last year because of goaltending on both sides.

They only thing I would like to see them do is go with a 1 real athletic goalie and 1 solid positional goalie. They seem to love those cookie cutter goalies lately. They all look and play the same. Someone like Bunz on the team last year might have made a difference. Hopefully Subban makes it this year

Old
07-12-2012, 12:19 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
They lost because the goaltending sucked when they needed it the most

They don't have to do anything different. They lost to Russia last year because of goaltending on both sides.

They only thing I would like to see them do is go with a 1 real athletic goalie and 1 solid positional goalie. They seem to love those cookie cutter goalies lately. They all look and play the same. Someone like Bunz on the team last year might have made a difference. Hopefully Subban makes it this year
Two years ago their pp was garbage and they went with 4 forwards while leaving Murphy at home in favour of another shut down guy, when they already had a bunch of guys capable of that role already on the team.

I wouldnt spend ten seconds defending KP, and you know more than anyone how bad he has been.

Goaltending has been an issue and we saw that again with them passing on Bunz in favour of what they knew/were comfortable with.

Theyve dropped the ball over and over again.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Two years ago their pp was garbage and they went with 4 forwards while leaving Murphy at home in favour of another shut down guy, when they already had a bunch of guys capable of that role already on the team.

I wouldnt spend ten seconds defending KP, and you know more than anyone how bad he has been.

Goaltending has been an issue and we saw that again with them passing on Bunz in favour of what they knew/were comfortable with.

Theyve dropped the ball over and over again.
Considering we were playing in the gold medal game that year and Jake Allen couldn't stop a beach ball, I don't think the overall team choice has been that bad. In 2011 again they go with the same cookie cutter style goalie who is almost identical with Jake Allen the year before in Visentin and he can't seem to make a save when it counts or his team really needs it. Not learning from there mistakes they go with Wedgewood and Visentin last year. If you put them side by side they both have that exact same style. Neither them is what I call a "reflex" goalie but they rely on positioning. Russia lights them up and get better goaltending when it counts again.

Really haven't had a goalie that can stand on his head or make a spectacular save in some time. I do blame the coaches though because I know they like those "safe" goalies. As opposed to a guy like Pogge or Luongo who were acrobatic but may look bad on a long shot from the red line once in a blue moon.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 50
Puempel-Scheifele-Rattie
MacKinnon-Strome-Shinkaruk
Jenner-McNeill-St. Croix
Danault-Gaunce-Wilson

Murphy-Hamilton
Reinhart-Dumba
Reilly-Ceci

Subban
Brossoit

Old
07-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Interesting comment, which does have some grounding.

I always thought Al Murray was a stud for picking camp rosters. He brought in guys who had skill, size, speed, no matter what the age. He also did a good job in picking guys previously thought to be erratic like PK Subban, guys who didnt have draft hype like Simmonds, and Benn

I mean in 09, Canada had 7 undrafted players at the final camp: Tavares, Kadri, Hall, Schenn, Duchene, Ellis and Kane. 3 of those guys made the team.

Since 09 Canada has never had more than 4 undrafted players at camp, no more than 1 undrafted player (Hall, Couturier and Murray) and no 17 year olds
Well, no panic mode yet, even if we don't win in Ufa, 2013....but I think it's time we start asking some serious questions about the way HC operates.

With regards to the make-up of the team, we'll have our answer by the middle of August, should the U20s not play well in the 4 games against the Russians, and the U18s light it up over at the Ivan Hlinka, then there'll be some serious consideration given to the U18s. If however the U20s win and win convincingly in the 4 game series, then that's the team Canada will bring to Ufa for the Christmas tournament. Mackinnon will have to be at 50 goals by December 1 to get an invite to the selection camp.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:55 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
And like many posters have said a lot of those 95's not named MacKinnon have more to offer than those players you mentioned... I don't know why some can't get over the age.
i said i agreed, but hockey canada doesnt. plain and simple. every year its 18 and 19yo's

Old
07-12-2012, 01:55 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Mackinnon will have to be at 50 goals by December 1 to get an invite to the selection camp.
lolwut

He basically already has an invite...

And ya fire Pendergasdt... I understanding not giving a 16yo a shot at a U20 tournament, but when Johnny Moore interviewed him last December his reasoning for not giving Nathan a shot made me wonder how he has ANY important position or job in Hockey Canada... :

Old
07-12-2012, 01:57 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
i said i agreed, but hockey canada doesnt. plain and simple. every year its 18 and 19yo's
Oh I know. All I'm saying is that hopefully they can see the wave of amazing talent coming in and get over the age factor... Unlikely with KP however.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:59 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:

Sweden had Collberg and Forsberg....

Canada should take Mackinnon and Monahan.

Old
07-12-2012, 02:54 PM
17Kurri

I would be very surprised if we had any more than one underager and maybe one late '94. MacKinnon and maybe Rychel. Hockey Canada subscribes to the notion that this is an overagers' tournament, which it essentially is.

Old
07-12-2012, 02:58 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
I would be very surprised if we had any more than one underager and maybe one late '94. MacKinnon and maybe Rychel. Hockey Canada subscribes to the notion that this is an overagers' tournament, which it essentially is.
Exactly, since the late '94s are strong it wouldn't shock me if there are a couple and MacKinnon is probably at the level where he can make it as a '95. People shouldn't expect any more '95s to get a real serious shot.

Old
07-12-2012, 03:03 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Sweden had Collberg and Forsberg....

Canada should take Mackinnon and Monahan.
Monahan is a 94 just a late bday so doesnt really fit what your trying to say but yes i agree if mackinnon and monahan arent included in this team then the wrong team is probably picked..
I have this picture of what the team will be every year and every year i am atleast a little disappointed

Old
07-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
lolwut

He basically already has an invite...

And ya fire Pendergasdt... I understanding not giving a 16yo a shot at a U20 tournament, but when Johnny Moore interviewed him last December his reasoning for not giving Nathan a shot made me wonder how he has ANY important position or job in Hockey Canada... :
You have more faith in Hockey Canada than I do. If he already had an invite, then he's be playing in the 4 game series with the Russians instead of wasting away in an empty arena in the Czech Rep scoring 10-12 goals in 6 games. I think if they were contemplating it, then what a perfect way to answer all their questions than having him play in 4 U20 games. So we shall see come December.

Old
07-12-2012, 03:40 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
You have more faith in Hockey Canada than I do. If he already had an invite, then he's be playing in the 4 game series with the Russians instead of wasting away in an empty arena in the Czech Rep scoring 10-12 goals in 6 games. I think if they were contemplating it, then what a perfect way to answer all their questions than having him play in 4 U20 games. So we shall see come December.
I don't think it's a coincidence that we've regressed at the WJC's since Prendergast took over as head scout for Hockey Canada. Oilers fans were only too happy to see him sacked by the Oil.

Closed Thread