HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[DAL/BUF] Steve Ott & Adam Pardy to BUF for Derek Roy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-11-2012, 08:54 PM
  #701
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 21,203
vCash: 50
I really wouldn't worry, Dallas fans. As Chain pointed out, he was producing with a bum shoulder and getting the attention of opposing teams' top defenders.

I still think this has the potential to be a win-win for both sides of the trade.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:17 PM
  #702
BloFan4Life
Registered User
 
BloFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
I really wouldn't worry, Dallas fans. As Chain pointed out, he was producing with a bum shoulder and getting the attention of opposing teams' top defenders.

I still think this has the potential to be a win-win for both sides of the trade.
When the heck was he producing last year?? He was second on the team in minutes played a game for forwards, while playing with some pretty good wingers, yet he only had 44 points this season. Also was 3rd on the team for forwards in PP time. He had so many opportunities to get points last year and just didn't get them.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:27 PM
  #703
Alistar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Azores
Posts: 9,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
Roy now has a bad knee and shoulder to go along with his no heart. Man o man, it will be interesting to see how this turns out.
It's amazing how the players that are most derided by their former fanbases often turn out to be among the most valuable to their new teams. Dallas fans know this better than most

I think this trade will work out well for Dallas in the end. As for Buffalo, I guess it depends on how much your team has a fantasy mentality (IE. values hits and penalty minutes)

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:48 PM
  #704
McTankel
Registered User
 
McTankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,575
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
It's amazing how the players that are most derided by their former fanbases often turn out to be among the most valuable to their new teams. Dallas fans know this better than most

I think this trade will work out well for Dallas in the end. As for Buffalo, I guess it depends on how much your team has a fantasy mentality (IE. values hits and penalty minutes)
I am 99.9% sure Derek Roy will test FA market come next year. He will command something around 6 mil per year and Dallas won't match it. So Dallas gets January to April of Derek Roy. I guess that's winning the trade. Pardy will be in the minors so this is essentially Roy for Ott IMO.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:52 PM
  #705
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!
 
Mr Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
I am 99.9% sure Derek Roy will test FA market come next year. He will command something around 6 mil per year and Dallas won't match it. So Dallas gets January to April of Derek Roy. I guess that's winning the trade. Pardy will be in the minors so this is essentially Roy for Ott IMO.
For us Pardy had negative value, and given the number of defensemen the Sabres have it is probably the same for them. I fully expect Roy to leave after one season, but by then the Stars should have an idea about Faksa and Eakin as well as cap space to pursue another big name C if any are available.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:05 PM
  #706
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Team ϶(o)ϵ
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas A&M
Country: Latvia
Posts: 22,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
I am 99.9% sure Derek Roy will test FA market come next year. He will command something around 6 mil per year and Dallas won't match it. So Dallas gets January to April of Derek Roy. I guess that's winning the trade. Pardy will be in the minors so this is essentially Roy for Ott IMO.
Money isn't the problem. It'd be the term we'd be concerned with.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:44 PM
  #707
Alistar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Azores
Posts: 9,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
I am 99.9% sure Derek Roy will test FA market come next year. He will command something around 6 mil per year and Dallas won't match it. So Dallas gets January to April of Derek Roy. I guess that's winning the trade. Pardy will be in the minors so this is essentially Roy for Ott IMO.
well then we can use his 4 million dollars to buy someone else who doesn't have supposed major character issues. I think we can probably keep re-spending that money on a better player than Ott for as long as he's in the Sabres organization.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:47 PM
  #708
La Cosa Nostra
Eichel welcome 2 BUF
 
La Cosa Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
When the heck was he producing last year?? He was second on the team in minutes played a game for forwards, while playing with some pretty good wingers, yet he only had 44 points this season. Also was 3rd on the team for forwards in PP time. He had so many opportunities to get points last year and just didn't get them.
He was the highest scoring center on our roster last season.He was recovering from a catasrophic injury to his quad and also had a bad shoulder.Stop hating on Roy, he's gone but don't act like he was trash, the dude led the Sabres in scoring 3 years in a row from 07-10.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:04 PM
  #709
TrueGrit
Registered User
 
TrueGrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
I am 99.9% sure Derek Roy will test FA market come next year. He will command something around 6 mil per year and Dallas won't match it. So Dallas gets January to April of Derek Roy. I guess that's winning the trade. Pardy will be in the minors so this is essentially Roy for Ott IMO.

That's pretty impressive, you should be an insider!

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:10 PM
  #710
BloFan4Life
Registered User
 
BloFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
He was the highest scoring center on our roster last season.He was recovering from a catasrophic injury to his quad and also had a bad shoulder.Stop hating on Roy, he's gone but don't act like he was trash, the dude led the Sabres in scoring 3 years in a row from 07-10.
That really isn't all the great seeing we really don't have any centers, however Ennis had a better ppg % than Roy.

Dude has turned into trash. He used to be able to get by strictly by skill, but with all these injuries, he just doesn't have the heart to outcome them all. Can't wait to see what Ennis does with Roy's minutes. It will be nice to have a producing top center. Really hurt us last season.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:10 PM
  #711
Phil Connors*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
He was the highest scoring center on our roster last season.He was recovering from a catasrophic injury to his quad and also had a bad shoulder.Stop hating on Roy, he's gone but don't act like he was trash, the dude led the Sabres in scoring 3 years in a row from 07-10.
I dont know, 44 points just doesn't count it as "producing" in the NHL anymore. To be relevant you must be putting up at least 50+, and playing through injuries, that **** is overrated.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:22 PM
  #712
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Team ϶(o)ϵ
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas A&M
Country: Latvia
Posts: 22,082
vCash: 500
So I guess Roy didn't have that huge of an impact on your (lack of a) playoff run, eh?

He's playing great, consistently in the playoffs. He goes down, and you miss it. Interesting.

in b4 "coincidence"

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:58 PM
  #713
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons
 
Sean McG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Catharines, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
So I guess Roy didn't have that huge of an impact on your (lack of a) playoff run, eh?

He's playing great, consistently in the playoffs. He goes down, and you miss it. Interesting.

in b4 "coincidence"
Lol..... what the hell? This is applicable for one season of his career and is a complete coincidence, saying "in b4 coincidence" doesn't make it untrue. The Sabres were one of the worst teams in the NHL in 10-11 when Roy was in the lineup for 35 games, then completely turned it around and took the Flyers to 7 after he went down.

Also, his two best statistical seasons the Sabres didn't make the playoffs. Yup, Roy's the key, though.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:53 AM
  #714
tsujimoto74
Moderator
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 10,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
It's amazing how the players that are most derided by their former fanbases often turn out to be among the most valuable to their new teams. Dallas fans know this better than most

I think this trade will work out well for Dallas in the end. As for Buffalo, I guess it depends on how much your team has a fantasy mentality (IE. values hits and penalty minutes)
It's not "fantasy mentality". Buffalo was 29th in the league in hits last year. And Ott only had 5 less points than Roy last season.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:57 AM
  #715
tsujimoto74
Moderator
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 10,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
He was the highest scoring center on our roster last season.He was recovering from a catasrophic injury to his quad and also had a bad shoulder.Stop hating on Roy, he's gone but don't act like he was trash, the dude led the Sabres in scoring 3 years in a row from 07-10.
Ennis missed 34 games, and Hodgson was a rookie (who only played ~20 games for Buffalo). Roy played far more games, and minutes, than either and barely produced more.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:31 AM
  #716
HiddenInLight
Registered User
 
HiddenInLight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,467
vCash: 500
Honestly Stars fans I wouldn't worry about getting hosed in this deal. I also would ignore all of the Roy haters...most of them are irrational and make absolutely no sense. You guys have a good player on your hands who was still recovering from a HUGE injury. The doctors said he should be back to normal by the start of next year....also I wonder how it is said he has no heart, yet he came and played injured in the playoffs in an attempt to salvage the sinking ship against philly....on an unhealed badly injured Quad...Id call that heart....people hate on him for off the ice reasons and overexaggerate on ice failings to make him seem worse...just keep him away from the club scene and you shouldn't have an issue.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:02 AM
  #717
Modo
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,483
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Honestly Stars fans I wouldn't worry about getting hosed in this deal. I also would ignore all of the Roy haters...most of them are irrational and make absolutely no sense. You guys have a good player on your hands who was still recovering from a HUGE injury. The doctors said he should be back to normal by the start of next year....also I wonder how it is said he has no heart, yet he came and played injured in the playoffs in an attempt to salvage the sinking ship against philly....on an unhealed badly injured Quad...Id call that heart....people hate on him for off the ice reasons and overexaggerate on ice failings to make him seem worse...just keep him away from the club scene and you shouldn't have an issue.
Oh, no worries there, I'm still very happy with this deal.

Any deal where you can get a solid 1b/#2 center in exchange for a 3rd line pest and waiver fodder, is just aces in my book.

__________________
If you're telekinetic and you know it, clap my hands!
Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:49 AM
  #718
TehDoak
I Like Eich
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 19,684
vCash: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
So I guess Roy didn't have that huge of an impact on your (lack of a) playoff run, eh?

He's playing great, consistently in the playoffs. He goes down, and you miss it. Interesting.

in b4 "coincidence"
Sigh. Roy was PPG at the start of the 2010 and the Sabres were at the bottom of the league. He went down and we went on a tear and and made the playoffs.

Interesting.

We also missed the playoffs when he 81 and 70 pt seasons.

Also interesting.

Roy is gonna have a fine year this year. But, he's not a leader or a character guy. He'll fit right in as a 2nd line center in Dallas. But, for a young Buffalo locker room, he's addition by subtraction.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:49 AM
  #719
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The KlINGberg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 27,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
When the heck was he producing last year?? He was second on the team in minutes played a game for forwards, while playing with some pretty good wingers, yet he only had 44 points this season. Also was 3rd on the team for forwards in PP time. He had so many opportunities to get points last year and just didn't get them.
Yes, so even at his worst, Roy still produced more than Ott. Thanks for confirming why Stars fans should like this trade.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:06 AM
  #720
BloFan4Life
Registered User
 
BloFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Yes, so even at his worst, Roy still produced more than Ott. Thanks for confirming why Stars fans should like this trade.
Their games are no where near comparable.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:10 AM
  #721
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Team ϶(o)ϵ
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas A&M
Country: Latvia
Posts: 22,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
Their games are no where near comparable.
Then why did you compare their point totals to begin with?

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:21 AM
  #722
BloFan4Life
Registered User
 
BloFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Then why did you compare their point totals to begin with?
When did I do that?? I said Roy was catered to last year and only managed to put up 44 points. If a guy like Ennis got the opportunity Roy got, I can assure you he would put well over 44 points.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:25 AM
  #723
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 19,095
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
Lol..... what the hell? This is applicable for one season of his career and is a complete coincidence, saying "in b4 coincidence" doesn't make it untrue. The Sabres were one of the worst teams in the NHL in 10-11 when Roy was in the lineup for 35 games, then completely turned it around and took the Flyers to 7 after he went down.

Also, his two best statistical seasons the Sabres didn't make the playoffs. Yup, Roy's the key, though.
What does this even mean? Stamkos' best goal-scoring season was last year (60), and Tampa missed the playoffs. I guess Steven Stamkos isn't a key to the Lightning. You know, because they do better when he doesn't score as many goals.

It's amazing how Derek Roy makes so many Sabres fans completely forfeit all semblance of logical reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgsAndGrigs View Post
Sigh. Roy was PPG at the start of the 2010 and the Sabres were at the bottom of the league. He went down and we went on a tear and and made the playoffs.

Interesting.

We also missed the playoffs when he 81 and 70 pt seasons.

Also interesting.

Roy is gonna have a fine year this year. But, he's not a leader or a character guy. He'll fit right in as a 2nd line center in Dallas. But, for a young Buffalo locker room, he's addition by subtraction.
Sounds eerily similar to many Sabres fans' proclamations last summer that the mere removal of Connolly from the locker room was "addition by subtraction," and would make the team better. Whoops.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:38 AM
  #724
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll
 
flyingpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pay the troll toll
Posts: 1,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
What does this even mean? Stamkos' best goal-scoring season was last year (60), and Tampa missed the playoffs. I guess Steven Stamkos isn't a key to the Lightning. You know, because they do better when he doesn't score as many goals.

It's amazing how Derek Roy makes so many Sabres fans completely forfeit all semblance of logical reasoning.



Sounds eerily similar to many Sabres fans' proclamations last summer that the mere removal of Connolly from the locker room was "addition by subtraction," and would make the team better. Whoops.
I think this sentiment is only based on the frustration caused by the last five years and the feeling of a need for a change in the core group that has not worked as hoped/anticipated.

In losing Roy, we are losing talent and skill and effort, regardless of what people say. He had to go based upon his frank comments on locker clean out day and the need for a scenery change. I think he will be good in his role with Dallas.

We are getting a different part of the puzzle to change the physical makeup of the team in Ott.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:50 AM
  #725
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The KlINGberg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 27,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
Their games are no where near comparable.
When it comes to filling needs, they certainly are. The Stars had no second line center and needed to find a way to fill that hole in the top six. For the Stars, the comparison is entirely about offensive production. They gave up a 30 something point producer for a guy who will easily produce as much and likely will produce quite a bit more.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.