HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Sign Palushaj 1yr 2way

Old
07-12-2012, 09:55 AM
shutehinside

vCash: 500
A good prospect and has some skill. Not sure he's a top 6 player though bit not a 4th line guy. He'll have to put it together this year as it might be his last chance with the Habs. I hope they give him a fighting chance at cracking the lineup this year in a role better suited to his skill set.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I wouldn't write Palushaj off yet. In his last call up he was outplaying his opponents night in and night out while playing on the fourth line. Considering he struggled early on, that is exactly what you want to see from a younger player. I still think he can be a top 9 forward in the right role, just got to give him that chance, which he has never had.
I will be disappointed if Palushaj is not used along side Eller next year.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:57 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Would love to see him get a chance with some offensive players, playing some legitimate minutes for the game.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:00 AM
SeriousHabs

Career AHLer. In the line combo threads, he is on 2-3 first lines.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:03 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
So what if he's 22? I'll keep doubting until he does more than simply enter the offensive zone, go around the net and do nothing with the puck. He's not a very good player. He doesn't have anything that makes him stand out except maybe speed. I hope for his sake he can find a permanent job, but I think it'll be elsewhere.
Just preaching patience. I don't know why some people have it in for some of our prospects like their poor play is a personal affront to them.

Palushaj didn't show great things, and probably won't be anything special at the NHL level, but I'd like to see him get a legitimate chance before writing him off.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Bullsmith

I don't have a lot of faith in Palushaj's upside in the NHL but he's young, fast and, at least in AHL terms, highly skilled. I hope he has a great year.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Athlétique_Canadien

He looked darned good playing for USA U-20 junior team. His biggest skill is he's got jump to pounce on loose pucks (Go from slot to corner quickly/short distance). Based on my experience with junior players & what they demonstate versus how that tranlates to NHL ability, Palushaj might have some surprise left in him.

Not saying he's superstar calibre material but we should (IMO) be careful lowballing him too much. On the other hand, Geoffrion impressed me too playing for USA.

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Jakomyte

- Pacioretty
- Desharnais
- Cole
- Bourque
- Plekanec
- Gionta
- Moen
- Eller
- Armstrong
- Gomez
- White
- Prust

These are our de facto top 12 forwards coming in to camp. If Palushaj can't show that he is a significant improvement over at least one of these guys, and also outplay the other guys looking for a job (Nokelainan, Blunden, Leblanc, Geoffrion, Gallagher, etc.), then he doesn't deserve a spot. If he does, that's great! If not, he'll be a good presence in Hamilton.

What we can't be saying are things like: "he needs lots of top 9 time to show what he can do!" That's crap. Winning rosters consist of players that FORCED their way into the lineup because of their ability to contribute regardless of other circumstances. If that's what Palushaj wants, he'll need to show in camp that he is a much more useful player than a guy like Bourque, Armstrong, Gomez or Prust.

I for one would love to see some younger players force their way in to our lineup, as it suggests they are ready and show some promise, but that certainly doesn't mean I think they should be handed roster spots undeservedly.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Assuming Palushaj doesn't somehow astound in camp (which is possible, just not IMHO likely), then he'll still get a chance at some point (again) when injuries open things up. And it's up to him what he does. I thought he was finally starting to flash more than the odd shift worth of being noticeable later on in the season. It seems like he is still progressing. I don't know if that will end up with him as an NHL regular or not, but I'm ready to wait and see.

And as others have said, I'd have no fears whatsoever about putting him on waivers. If he can't make our team out of camp, nobody else is going to claim him.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Andy

I just hate the mindset on this board that if a prospect doesn't have top line potential, he isn't worth spending anytime developing or increasing their trade value. You need all kinds of players to fill an nhl roster, with a lot of different roles. Palushaj has good tools to be a decent top 9 player, but we'll never know if he can if people keep writing him off and if the team doesn't give him a chance to show what he can do.

I agree with KrissE, I hope he gets a chance with Eller.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Bieber fever

AHL for life

Last edited by Bieber fever: 07-12-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:31 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
- Pacioretty
- Desharnais
- Cole
- Bourque
- Plekanec
- Gionta
- Moen
- Eller
- Armstrong
- Gomez
- White
- Prust

These are our de facto top 12 forwards coming in to camp. If Palushaj can't show that he is a significant improvement over at least one of these guys, and also outplay the other guys looking for a job (Nokelainan, Blunden, Leblanc, Geoffrion, Gallagher, etc.), then he doesn't deserve a spot. If he does, that's great! If not, he'll be a good presence in Hamilton.

What we can't be saying are things like: "he needs lots of top 9 time to show what he can do!" That's crap. Winning rosters consist of players that FORCED their way into the lineup because of their ability to contribute regardless of other circumstances. If that's what Palushaj wants, he'll need to show in camp that he is a much more useful player than a guy like Bourque, Armstrong, Gomez or Prust.

I for one would love to see some younger players force their way in to our lineup, as it suggests they are ready and show some promise, but that certainly doesn't mean I think they should be handed roster spots undeservedly.
Oh yeah...and did Pacioretty force his way into the line up? No, he got minutes with bottom 6 players and didn't produce very much at all. WHen he was finally given a chance with some offensive players and some good quality minutes he broke out.

Palushaj hasn't even come close to getting that chance.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:31 AM

It would of been nice to have seen him get an expanded role last year towards the end of the year. I don't think he's been put in the best positions to succeed.

Hopefully he'll add a bit more strength over the summer...I wouldn't be surprised to see him stick as a 13th forward.

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
I just hate the mindset on this board that if a prospect doesn't have top line potential, he isn't worth spending anytime developing or increasing their trade value. You need all kinds of players to fill an nhl roster, with a lot of different roles. Palushaj has good tools to be a decent top 9 player, but we'll never know if he can if people keep writing him off and if the team doesn't give him a chance to show what he can do.

I agree with KrissE, I hope he gets a chance with Eller.
I think we all want to see our prospects given a chance, especially guys like Palushaj, who are nearing the point where they either make an impact, or don't. But what exactly does 'get a chance with Eller' mean? How much time does he get to prove himself?

A practice?
An exhibition game? Two?
An NHL game? Two? Five? Ten?

How much of a 'chance' does he get before having to show something? At some point, the coaching staff/management is going to stop thinking about Palushaj and start thinking about winning as many NHL games as possible. I also think that 'point' will come a lot sooner for an NHL coach than it will for posters on 'hockey's future' message boards.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Andy

Quote:
I think we all want to see our prospects given a chance, especially guys like Palushaj, who are nearing the point where they either make an impact, or don't. But what exactly does 'get a chance with Eller' mean? How much time does he get to prove himself?

A practice?
An exhibition game? Two?
An NHL game? Two? Five? Ten?

How much of a 'chance' does he get before having to show something? At some point, the coaching staff/management is going to stop thinking about Palushaj and start thinking about winning as many NHL games as possible. I also think that 'point' will come a lot sooner for an NHL coach than it will for posters on 'hockey's future' message boards.
One full game would be a start, he didn't even get that last season. I would rather have seen Palushaj play with Eller than Blunden or Staubitz considering Palushaj has some potential worth exploiting rather than the previous two clowns.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
One full game would be a start, he didn't even get that last season.
And what if he looks mediocre in that one full game?

Old
07-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Andy

Quote:
And what if he looks mediocre in that one full game?
Pacioretty looked pretty crappy in a lot of his stints in his first two years. Imagine the team would have given up on him like a good chunk of HF had.

Also, because like classic HF fashion, some will say something like, Palushaj isn't close to being as good as Pacioretty, but that is not what I sad at all, nor is it what I am implying.

You need to be given chances to show your worth. Pacioretty looked crappy playing on a 4th line too.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:50 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Don't agree at all. Just look at the number of young players whose development has stalled here, only to flourish somewhere else. Why? Because other teams put their players in a position to succeed, and we don't. We play a young guy to death on the third and fourth lines, put him with grinders and enforcers, and then complain that he didn't "earn" his ice time. Well no wonder, we probably destroyed his confidence and failed to even attempt to let him develop any chemistry with other skill players.

I'm not saying Palushaj (or any prospect) should be given a free pass to the powerplay and the best ice-time for 82 games, but a few game's worth of a trial can't possibly hurt. If you try it and it doesn't work out, then you move him down to the bottom lines and let him try to work his way back up. But at least then you can't say he didn't get his chance.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:51 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Pacioretty looked pretty crappy in a lot of his stints in his first two years. Imagine the team would have given up on him like a good chunk of HF had.

Also, because like classic HF fashion, some will say something like, Palushaj isn't close to being as good as Pacioretty, but that is not what I sad at all, nor is it what I am implying.

You need to be given chances to show your worth. Pacioretty looked crappy playing on a 4th line too.
I don't disagree, but think of the situation Pacioretty was put in to succeed:

- Was dominating in the AHL
- Habs needed some size/scoring in their top 6
- Pacioretty came in and contributed immediately

It doesn't mean that he didn't flounder in other opportunities, but I also don't think Pacioretty would have contributed much in the top 6 had he been placed their 2 years earlier, just because of his potential.

I personally think that Palushaj's skill set is a bit redundant on the Habs, as he is a guy with good, but not great, skill, not overly physical, but I did like the compete he was showing at the end of last year. If he can create an opportunity for himself this year, which is more likely being a top player in Hamilton and being called up when there are injuries to our top 9, then it will be up to him to take advantage of it.

I just don't see the benefit of playing him over a guy like Prust/Moen/Armstrong on the 3rd line unless those guys are injured or are unimpressive. But hey, he shows up to camp and busts a move, I'll gladly take him in my lineup.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:53 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Meh.
Triple meh. He's a lifetime AHLer

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Don't agree at all. Just look at the number of young players whose development has stalled here, only to flourish somewhere else. Why? Because other teams put their players in a position to succeed, and we don't. We play a young guy to death on the third and fourth lines, put him with grinders and enforcers, and then complain that he didn't "earn" his ice time. Well no wonder, we probably destroyed his confidence and failed to even attempt to let him develop any chemistry with other skill players.

I'm not saying Palushaj (or any prospect) should be given a free pass to the powerplay and the best ice-time for 82 games, but a few game's worth of a trial can't possibly hurt. If you try it and it doesn't work out, then you move him down to the bottom lines and let him try to work his way back up. But at least then you can't say he didn't get his chance.
It can if it means the Habs lose 2-3 games because of a lack of secondary scoring. That can be the difference between making the playoffs and being 9th/10th place. Its nice to think about 'giving him a chance', but who are you moving out of the top 6 to make room for him? Pacioretty? Cole? Gionta? Even Bourque has accomplished way more than Palushaj and shows more on a regular basis. That being said, if one of those 4 becomes a passenger or gets injured, and Palushaj has earned a chance, then give it to him, by all means, as long as he is the player that gives the TEAM the best chance of success at that time. That's what its all about really.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Takashi

what's his potential?

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Don't agree at all. Just look at the number of young players whose development has stalled here, only to flourish somewhere else. Why? Because other teams put their players in a position to succeed, and we don't.
Dunno about that. Borderline guys tend to bounce around all the time. Sometimes they stick in a place that needed them more, which actually is why they moved there in the first place. Sometimes a change of scenery helps a player re-focus on the improvements he needed to make and he improves. Etc. A variety of factors are at play. But lots of other teams have their borderline guys bounce around and ultimately succeed elsewhere too. I don't think the Habs are remotely unique in that.

And it won't surprise me at all if that's Palushaj's ultimate path too. Sort of like D'Agostini.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:03 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Give the guy a chance?

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakiHaque View Post
what's his potential?
65-70 pt player.. Hall Of Fame.

I think it all comes down to how he does in camp / pre season this year. Probably his last shot here unless called up for injuries.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote