Notices

Northwest Division Predictions

Old
07-12-2012, 01:54 AM
ckyrckr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syke View Post
I thought it was MY predictions. No need to bash what I think.

I just don't see the Wild having that strong of a year. Yes, we all know you added a lot this summer. I still think that in about 2-3 years its going to be that time for them to start winning cups.
I don't think we're expecting Cups immediately after these additions. We're talking about playoff contention, not Cup contention.

ckyrckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:37 AM
Nsjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syke View Post
I thought it was MY predictions. No need to bash what I think.

I just don't see the Wild having that strong of a year. Yes, we all know you added a lot this summer. I still think that in about 2-3 years its going to be that time for them to start winning cups.
I did not bash. I just don't want to hear crying if the Wild make the playoffs, like some cough..cough...detroit fans. Also, I've seen a decent amount of Aves fans recently calling the Wild a bottom feeder still..I don't get it.

Anyways, not bashing your prediction, just want you to be honest if its April and your very wrong.

I just want any of our teams to beat those damn nucks.

Nsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:35 AM
WildFinn*
Unity | We Are One

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I predict we should wait until Vancouver deals with their Luongo situation and Edmonton takes care of their RFA mess before we start guessing how things are going to turn out.
Excatly and the rumors about Doan going to Vancouver, i think they will make good run this year if they get Luongo to move.

WildFinn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:57 AM
forthewild

i don't know exactly where wild finish in the NW but i predict Top 5 for sure.

in all honesty, the big factor is schneider and the 'Nuks, if they trade Lou they could stay the same or Schneider could drop the ball, i do think Wild have a realistic shot at #1 in division but also could be 3rd or lower. too early to tell, we will have to wait till rosters are a bit more finalized

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Honestly I think VAN and MIN will be neck and neck. I give VAN the nod because they have had a strong team the last few years but bringing in Parise and Suter, these guys know how to win.

EDM is still a question mark on defense and in terms of their coaching, so they could be up or down, but I can't see them making the playoffs this year. COL I'm just not impressed with them, a lot of things would have to go right for them to make the playoffs. CGY just looks awful on paper but they have some very good skilled leaders on their team so who knows.

Not confident enough to say anything is 100%, but my gut says...

VAN ~100 pts
MIN ~97 pts
EDM ~85 pts
COL ~85 pts
CGY ~80 pts

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:49 AM
WildFinn*
Unity | We Are One

The unknown factor is MG also, if we have too lines scoring like crazy and killer PP we will go a long way.

WildFinn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Spawnisen
Believe.

1. Nucks
2. Wild
3. Oilers
4. Avs
5. Flames

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Zamuz

1. Minnesota
2. Vancouver
3. Colorado
4. Edmonton
5. Calgary

Zamuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:04 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

The gun... It has been jumped.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Bookman

vCash: 728
Vancouver
Calgary
Minnesota
Edmonton
Colorado

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:32 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Vancouver
Calgary
Minnesota
Edmonton
Colorado
I don't see Calgary finishing that high...in fact I see them possibly dropping to dead last in the NW.

I'd go with:

Vancouver
Minnesota
Colorado
Edmonton
Calgary

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:44 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I'll make predictions at the end of August, when the rosters will basically be set...

/sigh

Way too early to have any accuracy. Vancouver still needs to manage the Luongo deal. Calgary still needs to move a D-man. Edmonton is up to something. Colorado and Minnesota are probably the only ones mostly "set", although I still see GMCF moving a forward contract...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:59 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I'll make predictions at the end of August, when the rosters will basically be set...

/sigh

Way too early to have any accuracy. Vancouver still needs to manage the Luongo deal. Calgary still needs to move a D-man. Edmonton is up to something. Colorado and Minnesota are probably the only ones mostly "set", although I still see GMCF moving a forward contract...
I'm just waiting on Vancouver at this point. Calgary will finish with 90-94 points, narrowly missing the playoffs like they have for the past 3 years. Edmonton will finish with a lottery pick. I will assume both of those happen until they prove me wrong. We're on 3 years and counting at this point. Colorado, I don't like the moves they've made in the offseason so I'll slot them between those two but I wouldn't be too shocked if they made the playoffs.

As for Minnesota and Vancouver, who goes where largely depends on what Vancouver gets for Luongo. Schneider is not as good as the goalie he's replacing. Furthermore, there's the trickle down effect in net as well. Whoever becomes the Vancouver backup (Lack? Theodore? Someone else?) has some pretty big statistical shoes to fill. I'd expect a minimum of a 5 win reduction from that changeover. I'd up that to a 10 win reduction if they're forced to run with Lack or some other AHLer. If they just get futures for Lou, those figures I would keep there. If they get roster players, that'll "add wins" to the adjusted total.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:13 AM
lostpuppysyndrome
iddqd

Vancouver
Minnesota
Edmonton
Colorado
Calgary

True, we don't know where Bobby Lu's heading but I'm pretty sure they're not gonna trade him for a donut and a bag of pucks. IMO, Colorado has the talent but unless Duchene and Stastny pick up their game, they're gonna have more trouble this year, and I think Sacco is part of the reason but I'm probably wrong. As for Calgary, I have no idea what Feaster's game plan is. It's like I'm watching someone put a puzzle together and I don't know what it's supposed to look like, though I hope the person putting it together knows.

lostpuppysyndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:26 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Not sure how the Wild do this season.

However, Vancouver is obviously still the top dog. IF they keep Luongo they'll likely run away with the division again; albeit not to the degree we're used to seeing. If (and possibly when) they move him, I think there's now some room for teams to run them down. As for the rest of the pack outside of Nucky, I think it's fairly muddled at this point with no real favorite. A lot of turnover has occurred with the division.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Nsjohnson

I may or not not have looked through the general hockey talk, the NW threads, and our threads to find all those that have made predictions that MN finishes as a bottom feeder or has something nasty to say about the Wild, copypasted onto Word, and it is now on my WALL in my room. Now, all I need is patience and watch the Wild make the playoffs and track down each user on HFboards, and feed them crow.

Does that make me crazy?

Nsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:30 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsjohn130 View Post
I may or not not have looked through the general hockey talk, the NW threads, and our threads to find all those that have made predictions that MN finishes as a bottom feeder or has something nasty to say about the Wild, copypasted onto Word, and it is now on my WALL in my room. Now, all I need is patience and watch the Wild make the playoffs and track down each user on HFboards, and feed them crow.

Does that make me crazy?
if i weren't at work i'd put that Jay and Silent Bob picture here. and no

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:32 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
if i weren't at work i'd put that Jay and Silent Bob picture here. and no

NSFW language

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:34 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Minnesota
Vancouver
Colorado
Edmonton
Calgary

I think the Canucks fall apart a bit. It's been a long time coming. I don't think their forwards are that impressive beyond the Twins and Kesler, and their defense is good but seems to be a lot of high-end 3-4 guys. With three other teams in the NW improving dramatically, I see them struggling considerably without their usual easy prey. I also think a few high-profile playoff losses have made everyone undervalue Lalongo. If the Wild don't pass them this year, they certainly will next year when their entire forward corps goes UFA.

Colorado has some young talent finally blossoming, but lacks veteran presence and I really don't think Varlamov is anything to write home about.

Edmonton's defense is still awful. Adding the Schultzes is not going to change that. Awesome top-6, but they'll never actually have the puck on their sticks.

Calgary......wow. Everyone else got better and they...uh...wow.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Prediction?

Pain.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Tony Wiseau

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
I don't see Calgary collapsing like so many people seem to think they will. Regardless of how bad a GM Feaster may be, Calgary definitely improved this off-season.

1. Vancouver ~ 108 pts
2. Minnesota ~ 96 pts
3. Calgary ~ 93 pts
4. Colorado ~ 89 pts
5. Edmonton ~ 80 pts
I agree. Calgary always winds up mediocre instead of bad.

Tony Wiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Engebretson
I WANT HOLYFIELD!!!!

vCash: 2013
I predict the Northwest Division will not be as fun to watch as the Re-Aligned Central Division would've been.

Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:31 PM
lostpuppysyndrome
iddqd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
I predict the Northwest Division will not be as fun to watch as the Re-Aligned Central Division would've been.
Ugh, tru dat. Wild, Jets, Hawks, Blues, Wings... stinkin NHLPA... Does anyone else wanna see the Jets in town 3 times a season as bad as I do? Best game I've ever seen at the X.

lostpuppysyndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:45 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostpuppysyndrome View Post
Ugh, tru dat. Wild, Jets, Hawks, Blues, Wings... stinkin NHLPA... Does anyone else wanna see the Jets in town 3 times a season as bad as I do? Best game I've ever seen at the X.
I want to see ALL those teams you listed in our bldg three times a year....and it sure will be nice to not have as many 9:00 - 9:30 start times.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:54 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Minnesota
Vancouver
Colorado
Edmonton
Calgary

I think the Canucks fall apart a bit. It's been a long time coming. I don't think their forwards are that impressive beyond the Twins and Kesler, and their defense is good but seems to be a lot of high-end 3-4 guys. With three other teams in the NW improving dramatically, I see them struggling considerably without their usual easy prey. I also think a few high-profile playoff losses have made everyone undervalue Lalongo. If the Wild don't pass them this year, they certainly will next year when their entire forward corps goes UFA.
The only notable ones going to free agency will be Burrows and Edler.

aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote