HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Now that we have Crosby for life, what about Malkin?

View Poll Results: Malkin ...........
Will sign with the Pens for the same $8.7 million for the 11 years remaining on Crosby’s salary 47 37.90%
Will sign with the Pens for the same $8.7 million for 5 years or less 10 8.06%
Will sign with the Pens for between $8.7 million and $9.5 million long term 34 27.42%
Will sign with the Pens for between $8.7 million and $9.5 million for 5 years or less 7 5.65%
Will sign with the Pens for more than $9.5 million long term 8 6.45%
Will sign with the Pens for more than $9.5 million for 5 years or less 2 1.61%
Will sign with the Pens for the max cap hit long term. 0 0%
Will sign with the Pens for the max cap hit for 5 years or less 0 0%
Will sign with the Flyers to troll us 4 3.23%
Malkin will go back to Russia for a billion Rubles a day 2 1.61%
Malkin will stop playing hockey to remake Conan the Barbarian with Alyonka 10 8.06%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-11-2012, 10:36 PM
stefanh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Oh, I had no problem with the Staal trade, was very in favor of it. Just saying that in hindsight, the Parise non-trade by the Devils is not a good example considering how things turned out.
I disagree. Had they won the cup I wouldn't though. A lot of teams got a shot at the cup but if you gamble with your future to that extent for one shot you will more often than not shoot yourself in the foot.

stefanh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
in addition to ego, money could also be a factor. some garbage team could probably offer more than the pens.

and sure, now with hindsight it seems clear/understandable why staal and parise went to different teams. but before this offseason, pens/devils fans could come up with perfectly plausable explanations for why both guys would be content with their current teams.

things change. maybe in two season the red wings are willing to pay top $ for malkin, making him the face of that historic winning franchise. and malkin wants to go play with countryman datysuk.

who knows, all i'm saying is it's far from a guarantee that he stays as most pens fans would like to believe.

also i think its way more likely malkin goes to another nhl team than going back to russia.
I doubt anyone thinks that it is a guarentee.

None of us have a crystal ball. However you can make an educated guess and it is not a complete stab in the dark. Most of us could see the way the wind was blowing with Crosby so felt good about not only his resigning with us but also leaving some money on the table. A number of us called exactly the amount.

alkin seems to be similarly happy here and has made similar remarks to those Sid has consistently made in the past. In fact Sid taking a discount to keep the team together even makes it more likely that Malkin resigns here, given who Sid is and how well both get along with one another. The gesture would mean something to Malkin I would think. No guarentees, but again I would not call it 50/50 his staying or going either.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
I doubt anyone thinks that it is a guarentee.

None of us have a crystal ball. However you can make an educated guess and it is not a complete stab in the dark. Most of us could see the way the wind was blowing with Crosby so felt good about not only his resigning with us but also leaving some money on the table. A number of us called exactly the amount.

alkin seems to be similarly happy here and has made similar remarks to those Sid has consistently made in the past. In fact Sid taking a discount to keep the team together even makes it more likely that Malkin resigns here, given who Sid is and how well both get along with one another. The gesture would mean something to Malkin I would think. No guarentees, but again I would not call it 50/50 his staying or going either.
i will never believe a word you say. not after you said that parise to pens was basically a done deal.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
i will never believe a word you say. not after you said that parise to pens was basically a done deal.
I make a lot of typos. I even mispelled Malkin's name in your quoted post.

I meant to say that Paris (Hilton) to the Pens was basically a done deal.

Ryan Malone approves of this message.

Edit: Had to edit once picture was gone. If I do not find Paris Hilton to be especially attractive, she is not really a babe, right? Mila Kunis on the other hand .............

Last edited by Jaded-Fan: 07-11-2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: MOD: No babes; Me: to explain which Paris I meant when pic was gone
Old
07-11-2012, 10:46 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
blah. blah. blah. blah. malkin. blah. $$$. blah.

Umm, how about you just take your pessimistic attitude back to the Red Wings forum, mmmkay?

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Nobody can be right all of the time, everybody makes mistakes. Maybe not as often as Mike Rathje makes mistakes, for example, but everyone screws up at some point in time. Especially Mike Rathje.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:50 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
The Pens have to sign him long term. The guys done nothing but been a great Penguin on and off the ice.

He is our golden diamond.

?

Chancellor, I need you to intervene. You already impressed us with your knowledge of nature, human biology, and Jaded's anus.

Please now share with us your expertise of chemistry & alchemy, and state whether such a substance as golden-diamond exists. I know not of these two such disparate materials forming together.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:56 PM
DegenX
Mixing the Kool-Aid

Malkin has said in interviews that he doesn't like change ... which makes me think that things would have to be really, really bad for him to want to test free agency or go to the KHL. I can see him finishing his career in his hometown in Russia, but I think he'll be rocking a Pen's sweater until that happens. The only uncertainty is how the new CBA shakes out. I'll be very surprised if the loophole that allowed Crosby's contract gets closed ... so, mostly likely his deal will be pretty much identical if at all possible.

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Pancakes

If Jaromir Jagr, the biggest ego on the planet, can deal with living in the shadow of Lemieux, I think Geno can deal with living in the shadow of Crosby.

Granted Jagr did leave just after Mario came out of retirement, but the team was having money problems and Jagr had been with the team for a long time at that point and was able to coexist with Mario.

Geno is nothing like Jagr. My point is, we managed this situation when we had to cater with a headcase in Jagr so Geno should be cake to keep happy in comparison.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
If Jaromir Jagr, the biggest ego on the planet, can deal with living in the shadow of Lemieux, I think Geno can deal with living in the shadow of Crosby.

Granted Jagr did leave just after Mario came out of retirement, but the team was having money problems and Jagr had been with the team for a long time at that point and was able to coexist with Mario.

Geno is nothing like Jagr. My point is, we managed this situation when we had to cater with a headcase in Jagr so Geno should be cake to keep happy in comparison.
To be fair, I am fairly certain that Jagr believed that Mario lived in his shadow at the time.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Skk82

Quote:
To be fair, I am fairly certain that Jagr believed that Mario lived in his shadow at the time.
Far from it. Jagr knew his salary was eating over 1/3 of the Penguins budget and he knew if Pittsburgh kept him, they couldn't keep Straka, Lang, Kovalev and Kasparaitis.

It wasn't like Jagr needed or wanted to play with top talent on his line. He was fine with the Jan Hrdina's and Kip Miller's who would always differ to him, allow him to play the puck and do his thing.

Jagr, if anything, was uncomfortable with his status. Yet, he's a complicated man, he wants and needs to be paid top dollar (as evidence by signing with Philly and Dallas)....It's never simple with Jagr, but there's no way he thinks he was in Mario's shadow. Every goal he scores he think is lucky, and every goal he nearly misses he attributes to bad luck. Strange cat, that one. He knew the Pittsburgh Penguins were always Mario's team and not his own, but he's so flighty it's not like he's tried to ever establish a team as his own more than a year or two. That's clear from as many times as he requested trades from Pittsburgh, even when Mario was out of the picture.

Skk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:19 AM
Sidgeni Malkby

I voted that he'll sign Crosby money long term, but I don't honestly am not 100% sure....they all say the right things right now. I mean, what else do you expect him to say?

If I were to rank it...
+ he is getting as much respect on the team as Sid.
+ they finally got a winger for him.
- we got bounced in the 1st round.
- we didn't get better (yet) in the offseason.

+ if we sign Semin. I think having a fellow Russian may seal the deal... Comfort thing.

+ if we go far in the playoffs in 2012-13
- if we don't.

Sidgeni Malkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:50 AM
stefanh

Genos comments after the Crosby signing was encouraging and he's always been a straight shooter. I think he will stay but there are no guarantees. Almost a year until this will be an issue though.

stefanh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:07 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Higher cap-hit (between 8.7 and 9.5) but single-digit years > 5.

7 years, 63M, for instance.
This is my thought as well. But only if the CBA restricts contract length. Otherwise he signs a deal similar to Crosby's.

Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:57 AM
tomf

I would be cautiously optimistic but it's no sure thing as some here are presenting. While Malkin comments are encouraging and probably genuine right now in the end they mean very little. No one can predict what will be in one or two years with reasonable precision. Just a few examples.

There is new CBA looming. Conditions of new contracts could be significantly changed to degree where money would start talking (either some other team or KHL). Simple example, let's say contract length in new CBA is limited to 7 years. If you want to give Malkin same contract as Crosby signed salary wise you have 11M cap hit (those 8.7-9.5 cap hits are unreal IMO, just look at salary structure of Crosby contract). Depending on other circumstances from new CBA Pens may be not be able to afford it.

There could be other circumstances that may affect his decision, for example (im)possibility to play next OG in Russia. Also I would not underestimate KHL as much as some do. Right now it's still inferior league but it's lot less inferior as it was 5 years ago.

He stated he want do get better. So far it seems he believes that he can get better next to/behind Crosby. But that can change even next year. For the first time he was the man basically whole season. Next season he may not get that prime time and may be disappointed. Or maybe not. Thing is we don't know.

tomf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:30 AM
kyle3434

I think it helps that his parents seem to love the city, and Pittsburgh has definitely embraced his family. Little things like that might help in making his decision to stay in Pittsburgh.

kyle3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:12 AM
kahlon66

I think Malkin will be the highest paid player in the league and should get more than 10 mill a year....it will be for less years with the CBA expiring.

kahlon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:51 AM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Malkin will sign an extension next year and get slightly more money than Sid, which should be understandable since, unlike Sid, he gets barely any money on the side. I see him spending majority of his career here in Pittsburgh and then possibly going back and closing out in Magnitogorsk. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if he buys his old team in the meantime.

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:31 AM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Sign him to a 106.5M, 15yr, 7.1 avg.

SterlingBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:33 AM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer72 View Post
Malkin will sign an extension next year and get slightly more money than Sid, which should be understandable since, unlike Sid, he gets barely any money on the side. I see him spending majority of his career here in Pittsburgh and then possibly going back and closing out in Magnitogorsk. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if he buys his old team in the meantime.
He won't get paid more, during the whole Parise/Suter UFA Shero stated he will not pay anyone a higher cap hit than the Captian.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:03 PM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
He won't get paid more, during the whole Parise/Suter UFA Shero stated he will not pay anyone a higher cap hit than the Captian.
Where did you see that? Do you have a link?

Old
07-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
I don't think he does, because I don't think it ever happened.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:16 PM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Quote:
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...ntract-642475/

Old
07-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'tcry4mejanhrdina View Post
Nobody can be right all of the time, everybody makes mistakes. Maybe not as often as Mike Rathje makes mistakes, for example, but everyone screws up at some point in time. Especially Mike Rathje.

Quote:
I don't think Malkin would ask for a higher salary anyway, but if it came down to it, I'm sure Shero would acquiesce.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:13 PM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
I'm sure they can pay him more, if the contract is front loaded like Crosby's.