HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency & General Offseason Discussion Thread: Part III - The Brenden Morrow Saga

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Patvolcom65
@Patvolcom65

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRenzo View Post
I feel that we over value our prospects on this board. If you are trading Zib and expecting Morrow or better there will most likely have to be other players included in the trade.

Zib has been labeled a "soft" player...that aint helping his trade value.
Oh so because you labeled him as soft his trade value is lower.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:21 PM
bacon25

Just for funzies since there is not much to talk about, say Weber is available and wouldn't mind coming to Ottawa would:

Zibenjad, Lehner, Michalek and a pick, get him? Probably would have to add one more prospect, but what does everyone think?

Old
07-12-2012, 12:25 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon25 View Post
Just for funzies since there is not much to talk about, say Weber is available and wouldn't mind coming to Ottawa would:

Zibenjad, Lehner, Michalek and a pick, get him? Probably would have to add one more prospect, but what does everyone think?
You better hope our forward prospects all become world busters if such a deal is made is all I'm saying.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:28 PM
2Cowen

Quote:

Might as well throw in Silfverberg, Noeson and Puempel since we are basically giving Nashville our future.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Patvolcom65
@Patvolcom65

Quote:

What would our top 6 be

Greening-Spezza-Alfie
Latendresse-Turris-Silf

Not worth it.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:29 PM
God Says No

Quote:

no interest at all. we need top 6 forwards, not less.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:31 PM
bacon25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patvolcom65 View Post
What would our top 6 be

Greening-Spezza-Alfie
Latendresse-Turris-Silf

Not worth it.
Just make Karlsson a forward and then he can win the Selke.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:36 PM
H2O

Quote:

I'd do it if that pick isn't a 1st.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Kaberle was an elite offensive D-man at that point in his career at 29yo (near the age of Spezza and near the impact of Karlsson). He could have been a significant piece of a competently rebuilt team.
Seriously comparing Kaberle to Karlsson? At no point was Kaberle ever having the same kind of impact on his team that Karlsson has on this one. It's not close. He was a good offensive defenseman, but seriously.

Quote:
The only thing that Craig Anderson had on Vesa Toskala when he was acquired was one good season as Colorado's starter. A lot of hockey people thought that Toskala was another gem drafted by Strelow with >= stats at every level as Vezina winner Kipprusoff. Toskala had a lot of value back then and a lot was expected of him.
Anderson has had great numbers in the NHL pretty much every year outside of a small stint in Colorado the year before last where there were a lot of off-ice issues, and he's a proven playoff performer (call it a small sample size if you want.) As soon as he came to Ottawa he regained his form. Toskala was bad in all of his large sample sizes. I don't see how it's comparable at all. I don't care about expectations -- I can see this team for what it was last year versus what Toronto had to build on. They're not comparable.

Quote:
They didn't have a 21yo franchise player. The careers of some of those players fizzled after that. But a number of those comparable players were just as young at that point and a heck of a lot more proven.
I don't see how they were more proven than a career PPG player (Spezza), a player that has put up multiple 50+ point seasons (Michalek) and a Norris winner (Karlsson.) You can call Michalek and Spezza veterans but they are still a couple years or more away from 30 and Karlsson is, well, Karlsson. Cowen and Methot are also both pretty proven while Silfverberg and Turris come with pedigrees that none of the Leafs' players had, and Turris gave a huge glimpse this year as to why so much was expected of him.

Quote:
Ottawa's no where near ready to contend for anything. Shortsighted moves that hurt the future for the present would undo this rebuild and leave us headed towards the constant bubble team purgatory that those teams face every year.
Just like Ottawa was nowhere near ready to make the playoffs last year, too? Give me a break. Ottawa was underestimated and thought to be further back in their rebuild because of one really bad year that just had the perfect storm of events to make them look a lot worse than they were. Combine that with young players stepping up, acquiring a reliable goalie, and veterans bouncing back from pretty much career worst years and you get a team that makes the playoffs on the strength of it's youth combined with experience.

We already have a ton of prospects coming up and we can afford to move a few. Giving one or two prospects away is not selling our future when we're as stocked up as we are.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Just make Karlsson a forward and then he can win the Selke.
Karlsson doesn't do defense.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:10 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

I don't think Karlsson would win the Selke if he were a forward.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
I don't think Karlsson would win the Selke if he were a forward.
Considering he thrives chasing back into his own zone and taking the puck away, it's not a very crazy suggestion, especially in half-jest.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:56 PM
We Want the Cup 2010

Quote:

Weber is an UFA after this season... just sign him next July 1. No sense in giving up the farm for potentially one year service.

Old
07-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

So is this the general idea?

2012/2013

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Gonchar
Phillips-Lundin
Boro/Weircioch

2013/14
Cowen-Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
Phillips-Boro/Weir
Boro/Weir

?

Old
07-12-2012, 02:11 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Want the Cup 2010 View Post
Weber is an UFA after this season... just sign him next July 1. No sense in giving up the farm for potentially one year service.
Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but you're assuming he MAKES it to next July 1st. PLENTY of reason to believe he'd be signed by then, either by the Preds or by another team on a sign & trade.

Old
07-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but you're assuming he MAKES it to next July 1st. PLENTY of reason to believe he'd be signed by then, either by the Preds or by another team on a sign & trade.
Lets sign both him and Perry to identical contracts and make a circus side show out it.

Old
07-12-2012, 02:25 PM
R2010

I just noticed some UFAs who are still remaining

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=637078

What do you guys think about signing any of these guys?

Personally I think Scott Hannan is a pretty good option there if we do not feel that boro is ready to step in (He could be though).
He has played a lot of games in the last decade and is only 33 and played for 1 million last year.

Old
07-12-2012, 02:27 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1989 View Post

Personally I think Scott Hannan is a pretty good option there if we do not feel that boro is ready to step in (He could be though).
He has played a lot of games in the last decade and is only 33 and played for 1 million last year.
Sign Holmstrom for a year to teach the young ones how to properly screen a goalie.

07-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Synthetek

Send a message via AIM to Synthetek
Quote:

Hannan shoots Left, we have too many L shooters... would go with 6'5 right shooting Foster before him.

Old
07-12-2012, 02:38 PM
R2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetek View Post
Hannan shoots Left, we have too many L shooters... would go with 6'5 right shooting Foster before him.
Fair point - forgot he was a lefty. He is more reliable than Foster though but yeah we do need a righty

Old
07-12-2012, 02:45 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetek View Post
If you are seriously considering Kurtis Foster over Scott Hannan simply because if what side of his body he shoots the puck at...

People get WAY too concerned with how defencemen shoot. Sure, if two guys are pretty equal, take the shot you need, but Hannan<<<<<<< Foster.

Old
07-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold View Post
Sign Holmstrom for a year to teach the young ones how to properly screen a goalie.
You say this in jest,

But I really wouldn't mind having Holmy... Even if it's a bottom 6 role.

Old
07-12-2012, 03:05 PM
topshelfie

Quote:
If you are seriously considering Kurtis Foster over Scott Hannan simply because if what side of his body he shoots the puck at...

People get WAY too concerned with how defencemen shoot. Sure, if two guys are pretty equal, take the shot you need, but Hannan<<<<<<< Foster.
I think you meant Hannan > Foster

Old
07-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:

I'd love to get Arnott. Could be a great mentor in our bottom six.

Old
07-12-2012, 03:37 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:

I think you had an old man moment