HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

Old
07-03-2012, 04:20 PM
stocky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccas View Post
Haha you'll do much worse than that in your time playing, trust me!
A few weeks ago I was playing a game for my 2nd team (Lower standard but more fun) and got clean through on a breakaway, I fancied my chances as their goalie wasn't really particularly good and had troubles getting down to Butterfly but despite being well clear of the D and under no immediate pressure I managed to lose an edge as I crossed the blueline and sent myself flying, I skidded probably about 20/25 feet across the ice and looked up to see the puck just trickling across the ice and right on to the goalies stick
Haha, nice!

stocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:32 PM
theFinn

So my beginner program is almost done, we've done our 8 weeks of skating/hockey lessons and we're onto full-on games. Last night was game #2 (of 4) and I think I'm actually seeing some progress.

Game 1, my first shift, the puck gets dumped in behind our net. I'm in position (right wing, I'm covering the man on the point) but I notice that my right side D man is nowhere to be found and there's an opposing player right out in front of our net so I pinch down to cut off that pass. It would have worked out well had I not imminently fallen on my ass. I stumbled back onto my feet only to have them go out from under me just as the guy behind the net made that pass. Opposition scores and I feel like a fool. The rest of the game however was fine, we went on to win 8-4 and I didn't make an ass of myself again. Got a couple touches on the puck and was generally fairly good positionally.

Game 2 was last night, I think I did a much better job. I stayed on my feet most of the game (only toe-picked once at center ice) and actually managed to get a shot (missed the net) and make a couple nice passes to setup scoring chances (sadly they were saved). We won this game as well but it was much closer at 5-4 with our goalie making a fantastic save on a buzzer beater shot.

If anyone is reading this thread and is somehow still on the fence about taking an adult beginner hockey class (or just jumping in and playing) I say do it! Even if you're fat, out of shape, and have never played in your life (thats me!) do it! I've been on the ice in full gear only 10 times now and while my teammates are all FAR more skilled than I am I already feel like I'm making a contribution and am actually PLAYING the game I've loved for so long.

For a bit more substantive discussion, any tips on blocking shots? Last night one of the opposing D-men wound up for a slapper from the blue line and I felt like I was putting myself right in front of him, probably 10 feet from him, to block it but it still whistled right past me and into the back of our net.

theFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by theFinn View Post
For a bit more substantive discussion, any tips on blocking shots?
My advice, don't block shots.

The risk of a broken bone in your foot or facial injury (if you don't wear a full cage/visor) isn't worth blocking a shot in a meaningless game.

I know a guy who got in some serious financial trouble because he broke his right foot blocking a shot and couldn't work for 10 weeks.

Fixed to Ruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:44 PM
theFinn

Yeah I suppose that's a fair response. In the heat of the moment the first instinct was to get myself in the way of the shot. I wear a full cage but a busted foot would suck...

theFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:52 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:

If anyone is reading this thread and is somehow still on the fence about taking an adult beginner hockey class (or just jumping in and playing) I say do it! Even if you're fat, out of shape, and have never played in your life (thats me!) do it! I've been on the ice in full gear only 10 times now and while my teammates are all FAR more skilled than I am I already feel like I'm making a contribution and am actually PLAYING the game I've loved for so long.
I totally agree! I fit in all three of your categories, although they are all being rectified by playing more hockey.

I started in early March, played in my class/D league through the end of May. I did my first tournament Memorial Day weekend. I've been playing with a women's drop-in league and another coed league.

My first time on the ice with a stick and puck, I felt so out of place. I had skated before - but only going counterclockwise, never backwards or with a stick. I had absolutely NO puck control whatsoever. Even if you sent me the most perfect pass ever, the chances of me getting it were 0%.

I'm still not great, but when I played in the tournament I told myself that while I may not do great things for my team, I would be happy to not do horrible things either! I ended up getting a shot on the net, an assist, and I was able to get the puck out of our zone and into theirs a few times, so I felt like I accomplished something.

I played the other night and was by far the slowest, newest person to the sport. Even so, I did helpful things - I caught a pass, I almost got a goal (if it had bounced 1" to the right, I would have had it), and I blocked a pass from the other team. I wasn't great or even mediocre compared to the others - but I had fun, did my best, and contributed even a little bit.

I'll never make the NHL - or any sort of high-level competitive team, not at my age. But that doesn't mean I can't have fun. There are so many people out there who just play because it's more exciting than the gym, and it's just something to do that they enjoy. It would have been so easy to think 'it's too late for me, I'll never get good at it, why even try?' But I'm so glad that I started playing, because it has been one of the most fun things I've done in my life.

The funny thing is that when I was wanting to start playing, I told my husband on the way in to work (we carpool) that I wanted to take a class for adult beginners. He had a FIT. No way, no how. He told me it was a stupid idea, that I just wasn't a hockey player, etc. But when I picked him up at the end of the day, he told me that if I really wanted to do it, I should go for it. He has his hobby (bicycling) and I had given up mine (speedskating) when I got pregnant back in 2004. So with his blessing, I signed up for the class, got my gear, and now I'm having a blast.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
So my beginner program is almost done, we've done our 8 weeks of skating/hockey lessons and we're onto full-on games. Last night was game #2 (of 4) and I think I'm actually seeing some progress.

Game 1, my first shift, the puck gets dumped in behind our net. I'm in position (right wing, I'm covering the man on the point) but I notice that my right side D man is nowhere to be found and there's an opposing player right out in front of our net so I pinch down to cut off that pass. It would have worked out well had I not imminently fallen on my ass. I stumbled back onto my feet only to have them go out from under me just as the guy behind the net made that pass. Opposition scores and I feel like a fool. The rest of the game however was fine, we went on to win 8-4 and I didn't make an ass of myself again. Got a couple touches on the puck and was generally fairly good positionally.

Game 2 was last night, I think I did a much better job. I stayed on my feet most of the game (only toe-picked once at center ice) and actually managed to get a shot (missed the net) and make a couple nice passes to setup scoring chances (sadly they were saved). We won this game as well but it was much closer at 5-4 with our goalie making a fantastic save on a buzzer beater shot.

For a bit more substantive discussion, any tips on blocking shots? Last night one of the opposing D-men wound up for a slapper from the blue line and I felt like I was putting myself right in front of him, probably 10 feet from him, to block it but it still whistled right past me and into the back of our net.
I'm getting so pumped for my beginners class. I can't wait until the 14th.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:12 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
I totally agree! I fit in all three of your categories, although they are all being rectified by playing more hockey.

I started in early March, played in my class/D league through the end of May. I did my first tournament Memorial Day weekend. I've been playing with a women's drop-in league and another coed league.

My first time on the ice with a stick and puck, I felt so out of place. I had skated before - but only going counterclockwise, never backwards or with a stick. I had absolutely NO puck control whatsoever. Even if you sent me the most perfect pass ever, the chances of me getting it were 0%.

I'm still not great, but when I played in the tournament I told myself that while I may not do great things for my team, I would be happy to not do horrible things either! I ended up getting a shot on the net, an assist, and I was able to get the puck out of our zone and into theirs a few times, so I felt like I accomplished something.

I played the other night and was by far the slowest, newest person to the sport. Even so, I did helpful things - I caught a pass, I almost got a goal (if it had bounced 1" to the right, I would have had it), and I blocked a pass from the other team. I wasn't great or even mediocre compared to the others - but I had fun, did my best, and contributed even a little bit.

I'll never make the NHL - or any sort of high-level competitive team, not at my age. But that doesn't mean I can't have fun. There are so many people out there who just play because it's more exciting than the gym, and it's just something to do that they enjoy. It would have been so easy to think 'it's too late for me, I'll never get good at it, why even try?' But I'm so glad that I started playing, because it has been one of the most fun things I've done in my life.

The funny thing is that when I was wanting to start playing, I told my husband on the way in to work (we carpool) that I wanted to take a class for adult beginners. He had a FIT. No way, no how. He told me it was a stupid idea, that I just wasn't a hockey player, etc. But when I picked him up at the end of the day, he told me that if I really wanted to do it, I should go for it. He has his hobby (bicycling) and I had given up mine (speedskating) when I got pregnant back in 2004. So with his blessing, I signed up for the class, got my gear, and now I'm having a blast.
Very cool! Good for you!

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:58 AM
ganave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post
Butterfly pads are generally worn loose. Make sure there is some slack with not only the toe ties, but the straps as well. After that, it's just stretching and practice.

What type of pads are you using?
Hi Coop,

I have a pair of GP Reebok Pro Sr. (Koho) I'm going to do some work on them (replacing straps mostly) to begin with. Imgur is being a pain and not letting me upload the pictures.

They have seen a fair bit of use. The town I live in is a huge on High School sports for Boston. They were the top senior goalie's pads for two seasons before he got a new set as a graduating gift.

I'm not very flexible yet but I'm taking yoga once a week and stretching for 20 minutes before and after gym days (monday-friday).

I'm not sure its possible for me to do a butterfly yet. The thigh (or is it knee?) risers are a hair under 3 1/2". I don't want to drop into a butterfly on the ice and blow out both my ACL/MCLs. I might add one more riser to help practice and stretch with -- I figure if it goes much higher pucks will squeak through.

Here's a really dumb question though. Where does a goalie grip the paddle?

I'll probably play my instructional league scrimmage game on the 15th. My plan is to challenge shooters, double pad stacks, and put myself in between the goal and the puck.

Oh for goalie sticks, composite or wood? I have my wooden one, but I wouldn't mind a lighter one. Are they as fragile as people say they are?

And for anyone who has trepidation about jumping into an instructional league, go for it! It's really rewarding. Even though I could barely skate with any grave as a goalie it was really cool having everyone banging their sticks on the ice and shouting encouragement.

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganave View Post
Hi Coop,

I have a pair of GP Reebok Pro Sr. (Koho) I'm going to do some work on them (replacing straps mostly) to begin with. Imgur is being a pain and not letting me upload the pictures.

They have seen a fair bit of use. The town I live in is a huge on High School sports for Boston. They were the top senior goalie's pads for two seasons before he got a new set as a graduating gift.

I'm not very flexible yet but I'm taking yoga once a week and stretching for 20 minutes before and after gym days (monday-friday).

I'm not sure its possible for me to do a butterfly yet. The thigh (or is it knee?) risers are a hair under 3 1/2". I don't want to drop into a butterfly on the ice and blow out both my ACL/MCLs. I might add one more riser to help practice and stretch with -- I figure if it goes much higher pucks will squeak through.

Here's a really dumb question though. Where does a goalie grip the paddle?

I'll probably play my instructional league scrimmage game on the 15th. My plan is to challenge shooters, double pad stacks, and put myself in between the goal and the puck.

Oh for goalie sticks, composite or wood? I have my wooden one, but I wouldn't mind a lighter one. Are they as fragile as people say they are?

And for anyone who has trepidation about jumping into an instructional league, go for it! It's really rewarding. Even though I could barely skate with any grave as a goalie it was really cool having everyone banging their sticks on the ice and shouting encouragement.
go with a wooden stick for goalie stick... maybe get one with a foam core... you lose that "feel" with a composite stick IMO

besides the yoga class, look at doing the "butterfly challenge" it's really helpful!

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:51 PM
esidebill

I'm about 7 weeks into playing hockey. I've done about 6 clinics or so every week where we play an 80 minute scrimmage. The first couple of weeks were getting a feel for the game (I played a few years of roller hockey as a kid, so only being 21 it came back somewhat) and had a goal or two. Last night I had a really good game. The ice was horrible due to the heat, but we only had about 6 forwards, so it meant tons of ice time. I potted 3 goals, one a steal on a fore check from someone near the net that I put in, another a deflection and another snapshot right through the armpit. I'm also learning to use my reach (I'm 6'5) to get to pucks people normally would think unobtainable. My handling still sucks and my ice vision could use a little work, but I feel more confident playing every week and I always get the "You've only played 6 pickup games?" thing a lot. I'm looking to join a league, but the summer league seems to have a wait list. Hoping some people have to drop out so I can get into an organized league!

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:15 PM
ganave

Had an "aha" moment figuring out executing the butterfly.

I was watching video of pro goalies warming up and saw that the pads rotated more than I thought. I thought I had them on loose, but I didn't have enough slack in the toe ties.

I practiced some today and didn't over think it. Was much easier having the pads rotate than trying to get my knee to do all the rotating if that makes sense.

Last edited by ganave: 07-07-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old
07-11-2012, 01:32 PM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank4Hart View Post
go with a wooden stick for goalie stick... maybe get one with a foam core... you lose that "feel" with a composite stick IMO

besides the yoga class, look at doing the "butterfly challenge" it's really helpful!
What Hank4Heart said.

You want to grip the paddle right where the shaft meets the paddle.
http://www.goaliecrease.net/proper-t...html#post19224

Also, for better advice on goalie specifics. Go to these forums.

http://www.goaliestore.com/board/index.php
and
http://www.goaliecrease.net/forums/

Those guys are way more knowledgable than I am, plus, the amount of information already posted on those sites are staggering.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:20 PM
PaperworkNinja

My only complaint about last night's session? The 7th-grader who's been playing since he was 4 (who comes to the adult learn-to-play sessions to get more ice time) who thinks every goal should be celebrated. Congrats, kid. You scored an empty-netter on people who are pushing 40 with bad knees, bad ankles and smoking habits who have been playing for twelve weeks. Now get off the ice, it's been 15 minutes. Give one of the old people a shot.

I'm about to hip-check the little twerp into next week if he shows up and pulls his brand of shenanigans again. And in conclusion, get off my lawn.

PaperworkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:37 PM
B2k3
The Hip Czech

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperworkNinja View Post
My only complaint about last night's session? The 7th-grader who's been playing since he was 4 (who comes to the adult learn-to-play sessions to get more ice time) who thinks every goal should be celebrated. Congrats, kid. You scored an empty-netter on people who are pushing 40 with bad knees, bad ankles and smoking habits who have been playing for twelve weeks. Now get off the ice, it's been 15 minutes. Give one of the old people a shot.

I'm about to hip-check the little twerp into next week if he shows up and pulls his brand of shenanigans again. And in conclusion, get off my lawn.
I'd have nothing wrong with a kid coming to an adult session so long as he acted like an adult.

Honestly, I'd pull him aside and let him know that coming to adult sessions means you act like an adult.

If it doesn't work, I'm sure his parents are there, talk to them.

If they can't be reasoned with also (I know, hockey parents that don't see why their future NHL star can't act like this is a ridiculous notion that would never ever happen ) the talk to someone at the rink.

I'm usually for throwing the body every once in a while, but it could get real dark real quick with a kid involved, methinks.

B2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:19 PM
PaperworkNinja

Actually, I think the LTP coach may have done that last night while I was moving the nets off the ice. The kid gets dropped off by his parents for all his games and practices, and then they show up again about 20 minutes after practice.

The kid's lonely, most likely. I was venting for the most part.

PaperworkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:27 AM
ganave

I had my 2nd intro to hockey class last night. I'm having fun but a little frustrated because the instructor is moving me at a breakneck pace for a new goalie. There was another goalie who helped work with me and slowed things down so I could work at more of my own pace.

The other goalie means well, but some of the advice he gives contradicts in Hockey Goaltending (Brian Daccord). Like loose pads near the top and tight on the botton. His pads are actually on top his skates and are super tight.

I got a lot of encouragement from the skaters though. Even though my skating is crap I was able to do a good job stopping the pucks.

Stamina wise my core and lower back are my biggest problems. After 20 minutes of practice I'm totally gassed and my lower back hurts. Taking breaks helps, but I feel bad when I have to stop mid-drill with skaters.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:23 AM
neksys

Got for first league game of our summer league this evening. I'm nervous. It'll be the first time I've played organized "competitive" hockey since I was 6.

I put competitive in quotes because its designed as a fun league for all levels. There are going to be some beginners at a lower level than me - but plenty of very good players (ex Jr. A, etc). The good news is they've instituted a "Gretzky rule" - you can score three goals, but after that your goals are disallowed and given to the other team. Helps discourage the best players from running up the scores - and encourages those players to set up the weaker players instead. No limit on assists!

Anyways, looking forward to it. Anxious too. I just have to remember: play positionally sound, keep it simple, carry the puck instead of getting rid of it right away when possible, and keep my feet moving.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:16 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post

The good news is they've instituted a "Gretzky rule" - you can score three goals, but after that your goals are disallowed and given to the other team. Helps discourage the best players from running up the scores - and encourages those players to set up the weaker players instead. No limit on assists!
I like that - in a rec league where you have lots of different skill levels, it can make the game more fun for everyone. In my beginner's league, there are some true beginners in there - but also some people who obviously have been playing for a while. They can skate circles around the n00bs and it can get kind of depressing. It seems that it's always the same couple of people who score every time, and no wonder that they do - nobody else can keep up with them!

I also think it's a really good idea to get people to think more about how to set up your teammates for goals rather than always taking them yourself. I've seen players who never think about anything but taking the shot, even if they aren't in the best position to get it to the net - and their linemate may be right there, in good position, waiting for a pass that could lead to something good.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:45 AM
neksys

First game of our summer league tonight. I was a -3 and flubbed on a penalty shot in a huge way (it got caught on a snow pile and I left it behind). I did get an assist though, so the night wasn't a disaster. We ended in a 4-4 draw.

Lots of fun. The level of play is higher than I expected and I was definitely amongst the weakest players on the ice, but everyone is really good about it. I just told them from the outset that I'm gonna screw up and that no one is going to hurt my feelings if they have suggestions or constructive criticisms. Learned a lot. Can't wait for the next game.

Old
07-23-2012, 01:18 AM
ean

Wow what a neat thread. I hope everyone has fun learning to play here.

If there is one piece of advice id give to any beginner itd be to work on skating more than anything else. And always remember head up, stick down!

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:09 PM
Malarowski

vCash: 822
Another noobie reporting in. I was playing roller hockey in the street as a kid and teen, but haven't done much other than the occasional skate in the last 6-7 years. Always wanted to play hockey though so I went and bought a full kit and went to an open skate (went way better than expected). I am not quite sure where to go from here, but my plan is to work out in the gym a bit more and pick up open skates as often as possible. I wish I could get play/stick time in, but I am not sure when and where. I am thinking of just going to an Open Hockey night, but seeing that I can't snowplow stop (that's planned for this weekend) and don't have any experience in any gear on ice I am not sure if I won't ruin it for everybody else. After a vacation in August I hope to get into some courses/clinics though to get up to speed and see from there to find a league.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:27 PM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
Another noobie reporting in. I was playing roller hockey in the street as a kid and teen, but haven't done much other than the occasional skate in the last 6-7 years. Always wanted to play hockey though so I went and bought a full kit and went to an open skate (went way better than expected). I am not quite sure where to go from here, but my plan is to work out in the gym a bit more and pick up open skates as often as possible. I wish I could get play/stick time in, but I am not sure when and where. I am thinking of just going to an Open Hockey night, but seeing that I can't snowplow stop (that's planned for this weekend) and don't have any experience in any gear on ice I am not sure if I won't ruin it for everybody else. After a vacation in August I hope to get into some courses/clinics though to get up to speed and see from there to find a league.
Go to as many drop in hockey games as you can. It's never serious and everyone is there to goof around.

Once you feel comfortable enough that you think that playign actual games will be fun, sign up for a rec league. My experience dictates that in game playing helps improve you as an overall player far more than just going to open skates or drop in games.

Just get exposed as you possibly can and always remember to have as much fun as possible.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:56 PM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
Lessons are going to be important. Start with skating lessons - you can figure a fair bit out on your own, but there are plenty of tips and tricks that can save you a lot of time and a lot of bruises.

Sign up for a beginner's hockey class in your town too - you will want to have reasonable skating ability so you aren't breaking the drills, but as long as you can skate forward and backwards, stop and turn you'll be fine. Transitions might be tough for a while, but you're in full pads, so no better time to learn!

Anyways, congrats on getting going with this. You're about 7 or 8 months behind where I was so its nice to pass along a bit of insight for a change!

Old
07-26-2012, 08:58 AM
ganave

Went to my first goalie clinic last night after switching to Stinky Socks. My last coach wasn't working out in my 'Learn to Play Hockey' league, I started a thread about it for advice which was interesting.

It was a *huge* improvement. Instead of only shuffling and a barrage of pucks I worked on actual goalie drills. There's a maximum of four goalies to the clinic and Stinky Socks rents the rink from 7:30 until 11:30, so there's a different coach for skaters and goalies.

There was only one other goalie and we traded off in drills once each one of us got gassed. I also had to unlearn some things the other coach taught me, and it was a night and day difference. I was still soaked in sweat afterwards, but I'm happy with my choice.

Still fiddling with my pads though for the right fit. I had them on tighter than my last session and I had trouble getting into my butterfly at the start. Also need to fix my knee pads, they keep sliding down my leg

Old
07-26-2012, 11:03 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Ganave, I'm glad to see that you found a place and a coach that work for you! I know that at ALL of my classes there are goalie-specific coaches and what they work on is completely different from what everyone else is working on. You really need to work on things specific to your role, and not as an afterthought.

As an aside - I am a French teacher and I've got one class that has been a combined 2nd/3rd year class. this year it will be mostly 2nd year students with four 3rd year and one 4th year student. I've made a really good go of it, but I can say with 100% certainty that it does NOT WORK for anyone involved. The curricula are completely different, and I don't get to give the advanced students nearly as much attention and guidance as they need. It's not fair to them and it's not fair to me. Your earlier situation sounded much like my teaching situation. I think that having a regular skating coach trying to divide attention and time to teach something he is not going to be an expert at is just asking for failure.

Good luck with the clinics, enjoy the feeling of learning something and getting better at it!