HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roberto Luongo XXII - Quantam of SoLuuuuuce [Mod Warning post 540]

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2012, 01:24 PM
thepuckmonster
professional winner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Yup. Although it should be a top 10 conditional, as there needs to be some security on the most valuable piece coming back.

EDIT: Question for Leaf fans: Apart from salary, who's better, Bozak or Connolly?
Bozak at 1.5M
Connolly at 4.75M

I take Bozak every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Connolly is less effective and less durable.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:24 PM
AmazingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champions of Nothing View Post
Huge difference between Raymond/Malhotra/Ballard/Rome/Bieksa.

Getting rid of them would have meant not re-signing them. Trading them would yield very little return. If Gillis wanted to move Schneider, the return would be very substantial, arguably more than that of the return for Luongo.

It's easy to keep the guys above. If he didn't think Schneider could be a starting goalie for the Canucks, he would have moved him by now, or at least we'd here a lot more rumors about him being shopped.
Keeping Schneider until now isn't a question of whether or not he's a starter, but whether or not he can prove himself as one. Gillis will probably bring the 2 in and let them compete one last time. I'm sure he believes Schneider can be the #1 but he isn't proven and Gillis would be stupid to take that kind of a risk.

Gillis is patient. Trading Luongo now would yield little return, so we might as well be letting him walk. He's in a similar situation as those guys, except his "bad play" is over 3 games.

My point is, Schneider still hasn't locked down the #1 job and theres still a chance that Schneider is dealt instead of Luongo. Gillis doesn't publicize most of his moves.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:26 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNuck View Post
Schneider has definitely not earned the starting job over Luongo. Luongo has spent 6 years being one of our best players. Schneider outplayed him in one playoff series. Gillis is keeping Raymond and Malhotra around because he understands one year doesn't make a career. He kept Bieksa around despite his bad years. He kept Rome around even after the hit against Horton. He is keeping Ballard around despite his last two years here. Gillis is not a man who takes a small sample of games, or even one or two seasons, to decide a player's worth.
The decision to go with Schneider is not really based on who is the better goalie between him and Luongo. Schneider still has a lot to prove but he is 7 years younger. Luongo is the oldest of the core guys on the team. Part of building a competitive team for the long run is replenishing the core players with younger guys. Gillis feels that Schneider has shown enough that he can be a very good starting goalie. Personally I don't expect him to reach the same level that Luongo did but he does solidify the goalie position for the long term.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Art of Sedinery

Quote:
Keeping Schneider until now isn't a question of whether or not he's a starter, but whether or not he can prove himself as one. Gillis will probably bring the 2 in and let them compete one last time. I'm sure he believes Schneider can be the #1 but he isn't proven and Gillis would be stupid to take that kind of a risk.

Gillis is patient. Trading Luongo now would yield little return, so we might as well be letting him walk. He's in a similar situation as those guys, except his "bad play" is over 3 games.

My point is, Schneider still hasn't locked down the #1 job and theres still a chance that Schneider is dealt instead of Luongo. Gillis doesn't publicize most of his moves.
I doubt that if Gillis had gotten the offer he was looking for by now, Luongo would still be a Canuck. Having both in camp is a back-up plan.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
How about Luongo for Bozak + 1st + 2nd 2014?

Old
07-12-2012, 01:30 PM
thepuckmonster
professional winner

Quote:
How about Luongo for Bozak + 1st + 2nd 2014?
Also okay with this, though Blacker and Holzer are a bit more attractive than the 2nd rounder in 2014. Still pretty good.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Aiastelmon

Quote:
Huge difference between Raymond/Malhotra/Ballard/Rome/Bieksa.

Getting rid of them would have meant not re-signing them. Trading them would yield very little return. If Gillis wanted to move Schneider, the return would be very substantial, arguably more than that of the return for Luongo.

It's easy to keep the guys above. If he didn't think Schneider could be a starting goalie for the Canucks, he would have moved him by now, or at least we'd here a lot more rumors about him being shopped.
My cousin's lap dog has more trade value than Luongo, let alone Schneider. At least the terrier doesn't have a 5.3 cap hit for another 10 years. That contract is an albatross, and people thinking these athletes are just going to bow out gracefully when they get to the fake years of these contracts are in for a rude awakening.

The only kinds of teams that will even accept this contract are bad ones desperate to make any move, and even then, the return will be underwhelming. So just be happy someone will take the guy off your hands already before he DiPietro's you.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:33 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Neither do I, which is why I believe that he'll win the starting job by December and Schneider will be dealt for a good return.

Has Gillis stated to the media that Schneider is the guy yet? Because if Gillis has not, then Schneider still might not be the guy. Gillis did and said what he had to in order for Schneider to re-sign. I very much doubt that Gillis eliminates any of his options.
Like I wrote earlier, that interview last week makes it clear that Luongo has Vancouver in his rear view mirror. There will be no fight for the number one job because he will not be participating.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:33 PM
AmazingNuck

Quote:
I doubt that if Gillis had gotten the offer he was looking for by now, Luongo would still be a Canuck. Having both in camp is a back-up plan.
Having both in camp is a better plan. If a team struggles by December and goes all out for one of our goalies, we win. If Schneider doesn't play to our expectations, we can call on Luongo. If Schneider plays lights out and Luongo is rendered useless, we can accept losing him for nothing because Schneider will be a proven product. If Luongo plays lights out, we can deal Schneider for a good package too. Keeping Luongo until January or February is the best move Gillis can make.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:35 PM
AmazingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Like I wrote earlier, that interview last week makes it clear that Luongo has Vancouver in his rear view mirror. There will be no fight for the number one job because he will not be participating.
It isn't over until he's dealt. He's a true competitor and a professional. If he isn't dealt, he won't pout, and instead he will play.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:36 PM
AmazingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
The decision to go with Schneider is not really based on who is the better goalie between him and Luongo. Schneider still has a lot to prove but he is 7 years younger. Luongo is the oldest of the core guys on the team. Part of building a competitive team for the long run is replenishing the core players with younger guys. Gillis feels that Schneider has shown enough that he can be a very good starting goalie. Personally I don't expect him to reach the same level that Luongo did but he does solidify the goalie position for the long term.
Even so, the core's window shrinks as the Sedins decline. The Canucks need the better of the 2 goalies for the next 3 years. If that's Luongo, so be it.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:37 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
It isn't over until he's dealt. He's a true competitor and a professional. If he isn't dealt, he won't pout, and instead he will play.
It was over when both parties agreed that Luongo would be traded.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
I hope the next title will be more original than "Lu-fall."

Old
07-12-2012, 01:39 PM
AmazingNuck

Quote:
It was over when both parties agreed that Luongo would be traded.
I'm sure Gillis is that honest. He is a lawyer and former player agent, after all.

Old
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiastelmon View Post
My cousin's lap dog has more trade value than Luongo, let alone Schneider. At least the terrier doesn't have a 5.3 cap hit for another 10 years. That contract is an albatross, and people thinking these athletes are just going to bow out gracefully when they get to the fake years of these contracts are in for a rude awakening.

The only kinds of teams that will even accept this contract are bad ones desperate to make any move, and even then, the return will be underwhelming. So just be happy someone will take the guy off your hands already before he DiPietro's you.
8 years from now the cap will be much higher5.3M will be like 3M now. If he is still can play at a high level his contract will be a bargain. If he cant will he really want to be paid 1m a season to sit on the bench or in the minors?

Old
vanwest

Quote:
I think if Luongo was a malcontent Gillis would be more apt to force him to stay. The fact is, however, that he has been a great teammate and player in Vancouver for the past 6 years. Gillis will treat him with the respect he deserves and will not force him to come to camp in October. Whatever else happens, I can almost guarantee that we won't see Luongo in a Canucks' jersey in the fall. The ship has sailed.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:47 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
How good is your cousin's lap dog at playing the puck?

Thank you for adding so much to the discussion, after reading your post it was like a lightbulb just went on in my head.
So Kessel + Gardiner + 5 1sts

for

Lap Dog.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:48 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Quote:
I hope the next title will be more original than "Lu-fall."
Starflop

Old
07-12-2012, 01:53 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

1000 has been reached and passed. Someone start a new one.

Closed Thread