HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Planning to move to St-Lambert, got some question

Old
07-12-2012, 02:04 PM
LastChancePrice

vCash: 500
Planning to move to St-Lambert, got some question

Really OT, but asking in this forum because i think its the best place to get information.

I live and work atm in Montreal, but i wanna move to St-Lambert and got a few questions. It would be cool if you got time to answer the few questions i need answers if you like in St-Lambert!

1- I dont have a car, and would like to know how reliable is the bus service is St-Lambert. I know there is a bus from RTL that can take me from St-Lambert to Montreal, but wondering if this bus only as one stop or there is multiple stop we can take this bus in St-Lambert.

2- Schools. We need primary and Secondary schools for kids. Are there plenty non-private schools in St-Lambert?

3-Rents: We will seek next year maybe a 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 ( we want 3 bedrooms ) for about 800$ month for a rent. Is it possible? Easy to get a rent somewhere in the area?

Well thats about it for now, thanks in advance if you got time to asnwers my questions

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:52 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgivemePrice View Post
Really OT, but asking in this forum because i think its the best place to get information.

I live and work atm in Montreal, but i wanna move to St-Lambert and got a few questions. It would be cool if you got time to answer the few questions i need answers if you like in St-Lambert!

1- I dont have a car, and would like to know how reliable is the bus service is St-Lambert. I know there is a bus from RTL that can take me from St-Lambert to Montreal, but wondering if this bus only as one stop or there is multiple stop we can take this bus in St-Lambert.

2- Schools. We need primary and Secondary schools for kids. Are there plenty non-private schools in St-Lambert?

3-Rents: We will seek next year maybe a 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 ( we want 3 bedrooms ) for about 800$ month for a rent. Is it possible? Easy to get a rent somewhere in the area?

Well thats about it for now, thanks in advance if you got time to asnwers my questions
If you work in Montreal and you don't have a car, living off the island is pretty much a terrible idea. But hey, if you actually enjoy traffic jams combined with unreliable public transit, go for it.

I bought on the island, and the horor traffic stories of my 450 collegues is justification enough.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:57 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
If you work in Montreal and you don't have a car, living off the island is pretty much a terrible idea. But hey, if you actually enjoy traffic jams combined with unreliable public transit, go for it.

I bought on the island, and the horor traffic stories of my 450 collegues is justification enough.
Always depends when you work. A lot of people work early or late enough to skip rush hour.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:05 PM
AllanMTL46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgivemePrice View Post

From what I know there are several schools in St-Lambert. I think there's like 3 French elementaries and one English elementary. For secondary school I know there's one English for sure but not sure about the rest.

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:14 PM
llamateizer

Quote:

I'm in this situation right now.
buy or not buy in montreal

Im living in a rented appt

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:33 PM
LastChancePrice

Quote:

So your saying there is always traffic jam , even if i take the RTL bus? So service is not reliable?

Old
07-12-2012, 03:36 PM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
kinda curious as to why you'd want to move from Montreal to St-Lambert...

anyways, if I were in your situation with no car wanting to live in St-Lambert, I would try to find somewhere not too far from the Longueuil metro station for easy access to Montreal.

Unfortunately, rent would probably be higher than 800$ due to the proximity to the metro and schools (Cegep Champlain and U. of Sherbrooke i think)... and you're probably looking at 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 at that price range if you can find anything.

If you're set on renting on the south shore, maybe also consider Brossard around the bus terminal area with easy access to MTL

DJyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Habsolument

Well ok, here's my take on it. First of all, I'm 24 and I've lived in St-Lambert for close to 19 years. My overall appreciation is that it's a beautiful quiet little town. It's great when you're a kid because the place is safe (meaning that parents are perhaps more permissive) and there are many parks. Also, while the reputation is that of a "ville de vieux" there are many families with young children. It does get a little boring once you hit your teens and late teens but then again, you can get to downtown Mtl in half an hour.

1- Depending on where you work in Mtl and where you would rent in St-Lambert you might have access to a few bus lines. The service is reliable overall. Also, during rush hour there's the bus line 55 that goes to Bonaventure in about 20-25 minutes. Line 1 goes to the Longueuil-U de Sherbrooke metro station. Other buses are the 6-13-15. The frequency is usually one every 30 minutes for each line but they are spaced out meaning that you have a bus nearly every 10-15 minutes. If that's not enough there's also the option of taking the train to Bonaventure (takes under 15 minutes).

2- Schools... there are a few primary schools. Des Saints-Anges and Préville are the 2 main ones that I can think of (french elementary schools). There's also the St-Lambert Elementary school (english). High school is a bit more complicated. The main ones are all french private schools; Durocher, Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes, Charles-Lemoyne. The only english high school that I know of is Chambly Academy (or Chambly County something... I'm not sure). The problem is that it used to be (as recently as 2006-07) ranked as one of the worst high schools in Quebec based on the annual rankings from L'actualité (say 300th out of 400 or something like that).

3- Rent: sorry but I won't be able to help you out with that. I'm looking at apartments myself but in Montreal . I never really checked the market in St-Lambert.

Habsolument is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Neutrino

1- All of Longueuil's transit is great, St-Lambert included. Now, it's at least 30 minutes just to get to Mtl though...

3- 800$ for a 6 1/2 ? Noooo way. Expect 800 for a cheap 5 1/2 in a good neighborhood.

Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Habsolument

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJyellow View Post
kinda curious as to why you'd want to move from Montreal to St-Lambert...

anyways, if I were in your situation with no car wanting to live in St-Lambert, I would try to find somewhere not too far from the Longueuil metro station for easy access to Montreal.

Unfortunately, rent would probably be higher than 800$ due to the proximity to the metro and schools (Cegep Champlain and U. of Sherbrooke i think)... and you're probably looking at 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 at that price range if you can find anything.

If you're set on renting on the south shore, maybe also consider Brossard around the bus terminal area with easy access to MTL
I don't want to sound like a homer but St-Lambert is easily the best option on the South Shore for proximity to Montreal, AINEC. 2 bridges with relative easy access (not Champlain ), a train station, a metro station 10-15 minutes away by bus and even an express bus line to Bonaventure. Brossard isn't half bad but I'll still take Victoria and Jacques-Cartier over Champlain and the possibility of taking the metro. The old Longueuil could also be of consideration for these reasons but it's as expensive as St-Lambert and not nearly as nice

Habsolument is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Neutrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument View Post
I don't want to sound like a homer but St-Lambert is easily the best option on the South Shore for proximity to Montreal, AINEC. 2 bridges with relative easy access (not Champlain ), a train station, a metro station 10-15 minutes away by bus and even an express bus line to Bonaventure. Brossard isn't half bad but I'll still take Victoria and Jacques-Cartier over Champlain and the possibility of taking the metro. The old Longueuil could also be of consideration for these reasons but it's as expensive as St-Lambert and not nearly as nice
Port-de-mer is pretty nice, and a minute away from doorstep to metro gate. Old Longueuil too !

Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Timelord
Stanley Cup polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument View Post

2- Schools... there are a few primary schools. Des Saints-Anges and Préville are the 2 main ones that I can think of (french elementary schools). There's also the St-Lambert Elementary school (english). High school is a bit more complicated. The main ones are all french private schools; Durocher, Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes, Charles-Lemoyne. The only english high school that I know of is Chambly Academy (or Chambly County something... I'm not sure). The problem is that it used to be (as recently as 2006-07) ranked as one of the worst high schools in Quebec based on the annual rankings from L'actualité (say 300th out of 400 or something like that).
They used to ship us english catholics off to Macdonald-Cartier HS now known as Heritage High School in nearby St Hubert. About 20 minutes by school bus IIRC.

Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:21 PM
LastChancePrice

Thanks all for your answers, its really helpful. I live in Montreal for too long i think, need to go somewhere that will feel less urban city like Montreal. Just siccck of it lol. Im going to be 40 in 3 years, and i promise myself to leave Montreal before 40. Christ, i just move into ville-emard /cote st-paul and around me there was 3 fire in the last 6 month, and the last one yesterday, with a nice molotov cocktail... I feel im like in a freakin warzone...

need to get out of there, simple...

Old
07-12-2012, 05:23 PM
LastChancePrice

Hey other question. About the primary and secondary school. Do they offer bus service to pick and leave the kids at home?

Old
07-12-2012, 06:43 PM
coolasprICE

ForgivemePrice, you might feel a bit urbaned out but maybe that's just the part of the city you decided to live in?

You can find quiet streets, quieter neighborhoods, with good parks, schools.... I'm thinking maybe an upper duplex would be good for you, as they are on quieter residential streets...

Cote st.luc, ville st. laurent, if you'd like to be more west... east end near langelier area lots of rental opportunities on quiet streets as well.

Like someone else mentioned, 800 for a 6 1/2 ... you might need to go at least 1 hour out of the city to find that.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:12 PM
pezcore

As far as High schools, you have Heritage in St-Hubert that is not that far in the infamous Centennial in Greenfield Park if you want your kids to become crack addicts.

I live in St-Hubert, and St-Lambert is a nice quiet town and is truly a great place to raise a family. Its not the Plateau when it comes to prices for appartments but $800 might not cut it. Im paying $600 for a 4 1/2 and ask around, I truly got a good deal.

For info on elementary schools, check the Riverside school board website which will list all the english and immersion schools in the area.

pezcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:07 PM
psychonaut

I moved to vieux Longueuil about 3 years now. I love it great when you have kids only 15 min walk from the metro and I work off traffic hours so about 12-15 min to the plateau. And my mortgage is the same price as I was paying my 6 1/2 in little Italy. But I must say that I would consider moving to St Lambert its looks really nice.

psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote