HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Give Plekanec a chance?

Old
07-12-2012, 08:24 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
The reason DD and Plekanec and DD are where they are is...1-Plekanec can play an offensive or defensive role, DD need to play an offensive one 2-Plekanec can produce without big wingers, Dd because of his size needs size on the wing.

I'm a big Plerkanec fan and I'm sure his production with dramatically increase with Cole and Pacioretty full time, but for the good of the team it's better to leave Dd there and add another top 6 winger along with Gionta to Plek's line.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Size isnt what makes him a #2 center, its his "lack" of offensive production. #1 centers can hit at least 70 points every season. Pleks is a great two way center who can get points at a secondairy rate. He is a great #2, an average to below #1 offensively
Plekanec would get 65-70 points each year if he had #1 center ice time(offensive situations) and #1 calbre linemates. He's proven that.

Old
07-12-2012, 08:31 AM
MXD

Can Bourque play on RW?

Pretty sure Cole can play on LW...

Pac - DD - Bourque
Cole - Plek - Gio

(in whatever order...)

Plek's line still get tougher matchups.

Problem : Cole and Plekanec kind of failed last season (for the very little they played together).

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:32 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
If DD's as good as everyone says he is, why not take one of Cole or Pacioretty off his line and add Bourque. Surely the great wizard could turn Bourque into a 35 goal scorer.

It baffles me how some posters want specific players to fail.

Old
07-12-2012, 08:43 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
Assuming no new acquisitions, he'll likely start the season with Bourque and Gionta. But you can be sure that as soon as Desharnais shows signs of slowing down, or if our first line simply doesn't click, he'll be right there to take over

Otherwise, leave the first line as is, and get a FA to play on his LW (or get one via trade), or just hope for the best with Bourque
Exactly, so many people are assuming DD is going to be at the same level or higher but who says he does not drop in production? I would be fine with Plekanec as the first line center for now.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:47 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Exactly, so many people are assuming DD is going to be at the same level or higher but who says he does not drop in production? I would be fine with Plekanec as the first line center for now.
Why would DD HAVE to slow down?

I mean... it's entirely possible that he slows down, as it's entirely possible that he'll produce to a slightly-below-PPG-pace...

It's like you want to see him fail, which is sad.

Old
07-12-2012, 08:51 AM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
The thing with DD is that given his size, it's all too easy to assume that he'll fail. The problem is that he hasn't yet, in his entire (albeit short) career

He's certainly earned another shot at #1 after the spectacular/unexpected year he just had (when compared to the rest of the team of course)

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

As much as I don't think that Semin is the type of player that Bergevin wants, I'd like to see him on a line with Gio and Pleks.
I don't think of Semin being as horrible defensively as some people in HF have made him out to seem

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:11 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4thewin View Post
I think the OP meant to give him a chance to play with stable, productive wingers like Desharnais had last season...

Plekanec got Darche, Kost, Moen, Cammy, Gionta, Leblanc, Gomez, Bourque, Eller during the course of the season... I probably forgot someone
That's what I mean, he hasn't had regular wingers and hasn't got regular 1st PP ice time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL12refrigerator View Post
Plekanec simply isn't big enough to be a number 1 center. He would make a great number 2 center. That being said, many teams are in need of a number 2 center so the return would be higher. The habs need to acquire a number 1 centerman!!! Plekanec won't get us that unless we package him with other assets.
The only thing that makes Plekanec a border line top center is his creativity. With a playmaking winger, he could put up 75+ points IMO.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't really care what you call the 1st line or 2nd line on our team. Given last year's chemistry, I don't break up Pacioretty-DD-Cole until they give me a reason to, however. But I'll also hope that Gionta-Pleks-whoever (Bourque? Gomez?) can keep pace with them offensively. And will probably get more PK and defensive responsibility too. So I say let them both be our 1st line.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:17 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Well I ask a simple question. Give PLekanec the #1 spot at center.
Many like Plekanec and some not so much while others are indifferent.

Personally I'm indifferent, I like Plekanec, solid two way player with average size. He's not gonna beat you with brute force, he's gonna beat you with speed trough the transition. What's is role, 1st PP, 1st PK, vs top defensive pairs and most time top lines.

Why I ask, well I have dreamed a bit about the return Plekanec could fetch. Then again, there been some pretty awful proposal involving him. He's been such a honest player that is very underrated by some hab fan and mostly by other teams' fans.

Looking at the wingers we have, he doesn't seem to have the right type of wingers to play with. Cole and Pacioretty are our top wingers but Desharnais is perfect between the two.
Bourque you is the right type of winger, well in theory he is but the result are terrible. I say very little chemistry between the two and that some time is just the way it is.
Gionta is our top winger after Cole and Pacioretty but he too just didn't look great together. Gionta last produce with Gomez , always did and probebly will again.

That leave us with what?
The funny thing is that Patches and Cole weren't supposed to be our best wingers....

The thing I was most pissed off about last year is that when put with Desharnais, Cammalleri was producing. It was a very small sample size, but why didn't we give them a longer look before moving him?

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
As much as I don't think that Semin is the type of player that Bergevin wants, I'd like to see him on a line with Gio and Pleks.
I don't think of Semin being as horrible defensively as some people in HF have made him out to seem
We have a plethora of players who can be given defensive mandates and excel at them. We have far fewer (if any) players as offensively gifted as Semin

The only real problem with Semin is a financial one. Once we ink Subban there simply will not be enough moola left to sign Semin. Even if we manage a "discount" 1 year deal in the 4-5M range

Again the solution this and many other problems is getting rid of Gomez

Old
07-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
The thing with DD is that given his size, it's all too easy to assume that he'll fail. The problem is that he hasn't yet, in his entire (albeit short) career

He's certainly earned another shot at #1 after the spectacular/unexpected year he just had (when compared to the rest of the team of course)
It depends where you put him, if you stick him in the role Pleks had last year with less than great wingers and tough matchups against the Malkins, Richards, Girouxs, Crosby's and Staals of the East then he would definitely fail.

Plekanec is by far the #1 Habs center but you can't stick him with Cole and Pacioretty and give him the best offensive situations because DD and Eller could not handle the tough minutes...at least not all of them.

Old
07-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Habster33
In Habs we trust!

I say give Pleky the best wingers possible! He deserves to have the best wingers and let him work is magic!

I think that overall he's a better C then DD and by giving him the best wingers can only be beneficial to everybody on that line.

Habster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

Quote:
We have a plethora of players who can be given defensive mandates and excel at them. We have far fewer (if any) players as offensively gifted as Semin

The only real problem with Semin is a financial one. Once we ink Subban there simply will not be enough moola left to sign Semin. Even if we manage a "discount" 1 year deal in the 4-5M range

Again the solution this and many other problems is getting rid of Gomez
In this regard and Kaberle+Bourque to an extent, I think we are all in agreement.
I despise having three under-performing players on the team right now.

Old
07-12-2012, 09:31 AM
dunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
The funny thing is that Patches and Cole weren't supposed to be our best wingers....
I like this statement because of how true it is. I'll guarantee nobody predicted that as our top line last year going into the season. For sure if asked are top 3 guys would have been in no order - Cammalleri, Plekanec and Gionta look how things change. The trio will most definitely start the year together and deserve to, things may change during the year slumps, injuries etc.

DD contributed to the success of that line just as much as Cole and Patches did so don't knock on the guy. Until he stops producing points he deserves to center these guys and be our #1 offensive guy.

dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:32 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunner View Post
I like this statement because of how true it is. I'll guarantee nobody predicted that as our top line last year going into the season. For sure if asked are top 3 guys would have been in no order - Cammalleri, Plekanec and Gionta look how things change. The trio will most definitely start the year together and deserve to, things may change during the year slumps, injuries etc.

DD contributed to the success of that line just as much as Cole and Patches did so don't knock on the guy. Until he stops producing points he deserves to center these guys and be our #1 offensive guy.
it's not about deserving, with those three on our 1st line last year we finished 28th, and since we didnt add anybody to our top 6 this summer, well...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
In this regard and Kaberle+Bourque to an extent, I think we are all in agreement.
I despise having three under-performing players on the team right now.
Kaberle is still putting up numbers (in a limited role) and I still have faith that Bourque can bounce back

Gomez is just awful. He doesn't belong in the top 6 (and I snort at the idea of him as a winger - goals anybody?), and our bottom 6 is filled with more effective assets than him

But who knows, maybe DD can get 10 goals out of him

Old
07-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

Convert Gomez to D
Lets see Brisebois work some magic

Old
07-12-2012, 09:42 AM
dunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
it's not about deserving, with those three on our 1st line last year we finished 28th, and since we didnt add anybody to our top 6 this summer, well...
It's not always about this year. Adding the wrong piece to the puzzle or trading the wrong guy can cripple our chances of winning down the road when we have a more realistic shot at being contenders.

Also i'm not saying that it will be a cure anything but having Gionta play more than 30 games will certainly help.

I'd be happy to see a team that competes every night has a good structure and solid youth progression and has a shot at making the playoffs come April - I think this is what us hab fans have to hope with this season and what will be most beneficial for our team in 2-3 years when our roster will have a very different look.

dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Bieber fever

He is the number 1.

the problem is actually this manlet of Desharnais who is not good enough to take any tuff minutes.He was always heavily outplayed on the road when he was playing against top opposition despite playing with the 2 best winger we had.

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:06 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

In Plekys defense, he was playing with the lost Bourque and super elite plumber Darche

He can't do everything on his own specially if you want him to put up numbers with the 2wingers he had

DD got the best 2 wingers on the team. IF pleks played with patches and cole, I think that he would have produced something similar to DD or even more. It's just that we couldn't afford to leave DD with the lost bourque and elite plumber Darche

If we manage to get a top 6 winger and put him with pleks and gionta, you got yourself 4 solid lines!

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Subnordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL12refrigerator View Post
Plekanec simply isn't big enough to be a number 1 center. He would make a great number 2 center. That being said, many teams are in need of a number 2 center so the return would be higher. The habs need to acquire a number 1 centerman!!! Plekanec won't get us that unless we package him with other assets.
Plekanec is bigger than Crosby, size isn't the issue, the issue is that he has assy faced wingers, like Darche.

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Well I ask a simple question. Give PLekanec the #1 spot at center.
Many like Plekanec and some not so much while others are indifferent.

Personally I'm indifferent, I like Plekanec, solid two way player with average size. He's not gonna beat you with brute force, he's gonna beat you with speed trough the transition. What's is role, 1st PP, 1st PK, vs top defensive pairs and most time top lines.

Why I ask, well I have dreamed a bit about the return Plekanec could fetch. Then again, there been some pretty awful proposal involving him. He's been such a honest player that is very underrated by some hab fan and mostly by other teams' fans.

Looking at the wingers we have, he doesn't seem to have the right type of wingers to play with. Cole and Pacioretty are our top wingers but Desharnais is perfect between the two.
Bourque you is the right type of winger, well in theory he is but the result are terrible. I say very little chemistry between the two and that some time is just the way it is.
Gionta is our top winger after Cole and Pacioretty but he too just didn't look great together. Gionta last produce with Gomez , always did and probebly will again.

That leave us with what?
Are you saying that because Pleknec doesn't have capable linemates he should be traded? Is that a logical solution or an aberration?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

No, Gomez gets all the chances. No one else gets a chance.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote