HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Morgan Rielly - NHL bound or back to juniors.

View Poll Results: Morgan Rielly, NHL or WHL bound?
No matter how well he does in camp, send him back to junior to fine tune and dominate 269 75.14%
If he's good enough in camp, he's ready for the next level of competition, keep him in the NHL 89 24.86%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Since when is Drew Doughty known for having good character?
Are you saying he has no character? Have you lost 25 lbs before?

Here is what Bob Mckenzie wrote about him in his draft year:

Quote:
Doughty has lost 20 to 25 pounds since season's end and while it will take time for him develop NHL-level strength, the fact that he's finally showing an inclination to get serious about conditioning and maximize his potential suggests he can still make a quantum leap forward in his development. Like Stamkos, his defensive game is greatly underrated.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Character or not.. Drew Doughty is a winner. He knows what it takes to win and he worked well under Sutter and reminded me of the Doughty in the Olympics.

If he can continue to do that he's better than any young defenseman in the game right now. If he can't...he's probably behind Pietrangelo, OEL and a few others.
Doughty was named to the Olympic team at 19, has won a gold medal and anyone who actually watched the stanley cup playoffs would have seen he is a character guy. Well most would...

Yep, some are winners, some have character, and the few lucky one's have both.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 04:52 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
1st round pick =/= elite pick
They also have an unreal team. Back when yzerman got drafted they were nowhere close to as good as they are now....

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
My roommates went to highschool with Doughty in Guelph, they said his nickname back then was "Drew Donuts". He obviously has gotten pretty serious about fitness since then.

Back to Rielly:

I CANNOT WAIT to see this kid in a pre-season game, along with Stu Percy and Biggsy

Nazem Gretzky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:22 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I've heard more than 1 story from creditable people who don't have much good to say about Doughty, but specifically that he's dumb as rocks, even having missed the team bus to the gold medal game at the olympics.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:04 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

vCash: 588
Are we still using Drew Doughty in a futile attempt to justify keeping Rielly in the NHL this season?

I don't give a squirt of p--- how well he plays in camp, send him back to the WHL.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:53 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Are you saying he has no character? Have you lost 25 lbs before?

Here is what Bob Mckenzie wrote about him in his draft year:
Losing weight is a "character" but learning a new language can't be considered to show good work ethic?

Nice double standard interactif...

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:58 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
D.Doughty
Z.Bogosian
L.Schenn
L.Sbisa
V.Hedman
D.Kulikov
C.Fowler
A.Larsson

8 in the last 4yrs.
And it could be feasibly argued that Bogosian, Schenn, Sbisa, Fowler were taken up too early.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:08 AM
Heatleys Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
And it could be feasibly argued that Bogosian, Schenn, Sbisa, Fowler were taken up too early.
you can add Hedman to that list - a year in the AHL would have helped him immensely adapt to the style here

Heatleys Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:09 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Reilly looked good in dev camp. But he was playing against non-NHLers. He's got a long way to go to show he can make this team. It's highly unlikely he makes it.

More than likely he gets his 9 games in the NHL, and then he's back to the WHL for one more season. He missed nearly 50 games of the WHL season. That's going to hurt his development. You can talk about his work ethic and him being a gym rat (both which I'm not denying), but there's no telling how much better he could have been with that extra time.

People then point to Gardiner. Yeah Gardiner wasn't expected to make the NHL this year but that's different. He had 3 years of NCAA development and he didn't miss a huge chunk of last season.

Having Reilly stay another season in the WHL certainly won't hurt him. He'll be allowed to show he can dominate a full season at the WHL level. He seems to be a good character kid and telling him that the Leafs think he's nearly ready, but want to give him just one more year isn't going to destroy his confidence.

Plus Toronto could take a step forward. I'd much rather play things safe with Reilly than take risk. I'd rather have him placed into a Leafs roster that is stronger and won't cause Leaf Nation to just throw venom at the kid for not being a savior.

Reilly should spend another year in the WHL. It won't hurt.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:18 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatleys Eye View Post
you can add Hedman to that list - a year in the AHL would have helped him immensely adapt to the style here
Maybe. I'm of the mind that Hedman was played up to be a better puck mover than he really is and it led to larger expectations than what he deserved. I actually think he played pretty well in his first season.

But yeah I can see an argument made for him being up to early. In a year we may be saying similar things about Larsson.

I will say the common theme appears to be NHL size which may lead to teams thinking the player can play with the big boys but the rest of the players game isn't there yet.

I'm just not a fan of bringing in Reilly. He had a significant injury last season. I'd just rather see him take one more year, even if he looks good enough to play this season. I'd rather see him dominate for 70 WHL games, than look good in 20 NHL games, hit a wall and have him toil on the Leafs. I suppose we could send him back to the WHL then, but that just seems like a waste of an RFA season for him.

It honestly can't hurt to have him go back for a season. It brings less risk at hurting his development than having him make the NHL will.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:26 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Give him 9 games. If he succeeds with flying colors keep him, otherwise worst case scenario is the leafs lose a few games and get that fire burning in his gut.

If he is truly Burkes #1 ranked player then it is quite possible that he cracks the roster. He was definitely leaps and bounds further along then any other player at the prospect camp, which definitely shocked me. Was not expecting what i saw, seeing him play makes me feel like we drafted the Jeff Skinner of 2012.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:08 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

I don't think even the people who want him sent down would argue against the 9 NHL games being good for his development, at least.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:15 AM
IBeL13f

Quote:
I don't think even the people who want him sent down would argue against the 9 NHL games being good for his development, at least.
Definitely wouldn't argue that. If he earns it, that would be the perfect scenario. That way he gets a taste and has an idea of the things he needs to work on back in Junior. He also gets to test his skills against full NHL rosters, not just pre-season experiment rosters.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:00 AM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
Definitely wouldn't argue that. If he earns it, that would be the perfect scenario. That way he gets a taste and has an idea of the things he needs to work on back in Junior. He also gets to test his skills against full NHL rosters, not just pre-season experiment rosters.
Test his skills...... I will tell you that Carlyle will be pushing Burke real hard to keep him all year as he is that good. He would easily slot in in the top 4 on the Leafs D man this year.

I know the Kid and I would like to see him play another year in the Jaw.....a little selfish on my part.....I then could watch him play many games!

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Tarmore

Quote:
I think that there are people that would argue that water is wet if said argument was tied to the Leafs in any way.

Tarmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
Not a chance he stays. Maybe he gets the 9 game try-out, but that's it. The kid has barely played a full season in the WHL, there's no sense accelerating his development even more so than we did with Schenn. Not to mention, with Phanuef, Gardiner, Liles, Gunnarsson, Komisarek, Franson, and Holzer, there's no rush to get him into the line-up.

With a the upside that Rielly has, we better do this development thing right.
I couldn't agree more. What is wrong with letting the guy shine in juniors? We have many NHL ready defensemen including guys that can handle the puck (Liles, Gardiner). Let him excel and develop his game with kids his own age.

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:10 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

We are in no rush on the back end. We have Percy/Holzer/Blacker that have already shown promise, and we have the luxioury of letting him succeed on the international level, as well as major junior, because of solid depth. Let him go back, and he'll be hungry for camp next year.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
We are in no rush on the back end. We have Percy/Holzer/Blacker that have already shown promise, and we have the luxioury of letting him succeed on the international level, as well as major junior, because of solid depth. Let him go back, and he'll be hungry for camp next year.
Agreed.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Swaggz
Rookie User

No need to rush things it's not like were short on D. Let him play a year in the juniors. Lets not ruin his career by doing another Schenn.

Swaggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:22 PM
ironrhcp

if he is better then any of our 6-7 defensemen why wouldnt we let him play?? look at gardiner what good would it have been to hold him back when he was CLEARLY ready to play at an NHL level. Some kids mature faster and are just ready, and if he is it would be very stupid not to play him.

ironrhcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironrhcp View Post
if he is better then any of our 6-7 defensemen why wouldnt we let him play?? look at gardiner what good would it have been to hold him back when he was CLEARLY ready to play at an NHL level. Some kids mature faster and are just ready, and if he is it would be very stupid not to play him.
Jake Gardiner is a good example of why you'd send Morgan Rielly back for some more seasoning, since Gardiner was drafted in 2008, or to put that into perspective, the amount of time Nazem Kadri has spent in the OHL, AHL and as a part time NHLer.

If Rielly comes to camp and somehow plays like a number one defenseman playing 25 minutes a night and utterly dominating, maybe you do keep him up. But chances are he'll look pretty good in limited viewing but not actually be ready to grind it out for 82 games. Plus we have guys like Gardiner and Liles who contribute exactly what he's supposed to bring to a lineup anyway, so what's the rush?

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:53 PM
GalacticaActual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Jake Gardiner is a good example of why you'd send Morgan Rielly back for some more seasoning, since Gardiner was drafted in 2008, or to put that into perspective, the amount of time Nazem Kadri has spent in the OHL, AHL and as a part time NHLer.

If Rielly comes to camp and somehow plays like a number one defenseman playing 25 minutes a night and utterly dominating, maybe you do keep him up. But chances are he'll look pretty good in limited viewing but not actually be ready to grind it out for 82 games. Plus we have guys like Gardiner and Liles who contribute exactly what he's supposed to bring to a lineup anyway, so what's the rush?
I think what's exciting is that I trust that Burke and company will make the right decision, given his history, his willingess to let prospects develop for as long as possible in the minor league systems. I hope other fans trust in this too.

If Rielly ends up making the team this fall, it'll mean we have an amazing steal of a draft pick. And hopefully we'll be able to shut all those losers up who trashed Burke about his 1st overall comment.

Last edited by GalacticaActual: 07-11-2012 at 09:02 PM.
GalacticaActual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:25 PM
New Liskeard

Rielly only played a handfull of games last year in the WHL, and came off a serious injury. To expect this young man to jump into the NHL, play against men, and after a serious injury and 18 games in the WHL is a tall order. He looks to have the make up of being a pretty good NHLer down the road, why rush it, only to apease the impatient masses here.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Ryancoke13

Play 5 games, if he struggles put him in net or 1st line centre for 4 games then back down if continues to struggle in his new position.

Ryancoke13 is offline   Reply With Quote