Notices

DAL trades Ott/Pardy to BUF for Roy

Old
07-12-2012, 03:36 PM
AlexanderMogilny89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
You haven't stolen anything yet. Wait till the season begins.
Hopefully Roy is playing for you guys and has good chemistry with his line mates. Because i can not wait for -

Sat Mar 23, 2013 Sabres Stars
8:00 PM

Looks like this is the only game they meet all year. This is a game i can not wait for just to see what team is in a better position in making the playoffs. Also what player is having a better season. I know it is a long wait before they play.

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:53 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
And I'm compelled to believe that many a Sabre fan did not like the deal (based on the hatred for Roy spewed over these pages). What were you expecting for him? A Roy-package for Ryan from Anaheim?
His value is down because of injuries -- that's bottom line. If he was closer to career norm, Sabres would have received far more. But he's not. Will he one back from injury, we don't know. Could be a great pickup but injury and another surgery diminishes his value. You can't argue that. I doubt he's tradeable if the surgery had been known.
On the plus side, he comes back in November playing at career levels and demand would huge at trade deadline. I think.
I think Both teams did well on deal. Unless Roy doesn't play this year for some reason. Highly unlikely. Sabres were not getting more based on Roy's play over last 1.5 seasons.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:11 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
Brandon Worley's take:

"... especially when I’m told by Sabres fans he’s been wearing special shoulder pads for years now. [since 2008, presumably]"
He's had it for 3-4 years? Could it be as harmless as Albert Pujols' elbow injury that he finally got fixed? I mean, Roy did have a couple good seasons since 2008.

Or are shoulders and elbows two different things? Any ortho docs in the house?

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I'm not expecting Roy to be a long term asset. Long term to me is 6+ years. Roy is a 1-3 year stopgap who will either be traded or walk when he's Ribeiro's age. He will be traded for a pick at that point to a team like Washington who needs a veteran depth center.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:54 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
His value is down because of injuries -- that's bottom line. If he was closer to career norm, Sabres would have received far more. But he's not. Will he one back from injury, we don't know. Could be a great pickup but injury and another surgery diminishes his value. You can't argue that. I doubt he's tradeable if the surgery had been known.
On the plus side, he comes back in November playing at career levels and demand would huge at trade deadline. I think.
I think Both teams did well on deal. Unless Roy doesn't play this year for some reason. Highly unlikely. Sabres were not getting more based on Roy's play over last 1.5 seasons.
Fair enough.

I was informed through Sabres fans that he has had a nagging shoulder issue (which was operated upon recently) since 2008. He still put up points up until his torn-quad issue during 2010-11. I understand the shoulder issue could've escalated to something worse whilst playing in a travel-heavy WC and due to age, but it looks like he still could've played on and been effective, albeit not to the extent that a healthy shoulder could've allowed.

To answer your question- I believe he still could've been traded. The Stars knew he had a shoulder issue, and I think sending him to surgery is an indication that they want him to be part of the franchise beyond this one year.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:23 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
I'm not expecting Roy to be a long term asset. Long term to me is 6+ years. Roy is a 1-3 year stopgap who will either be traded or walk when he's Ribeiro's age. He will be traded for a pick at that point to a team like Washington who needs a veteran depth center.
If he stays until he's Ribs' age, that'll be 5 years...

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:37 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
If he stays until he's Ribs' age, that'll be 5 years...
I wouldn't mind that at all.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:45 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
I wouldn't mind that at all.
If he's good for 65-80 points a year, absolutely.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:52 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
If he's good for 65-80 points a year, absolutely.
Obviously.

Old
07-12-2012, 07:34 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
You have a pretty strict definition of long term. Three years would put him in a Stars jersey until Benn is 26 and Loui 30'ish. That's an overlap of some pretty seriously prime hockey years for our two best players. To me 1-2 years is a stopgap - anything 3+ and a player goes from being a bandaid to part of what's being built upon.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:54 PM
LordHelmet

I don't understand the weeping & gnashing of the teeth when we're talking about a 50/50 chance that the guy misses 10-12 games.

I'd rather have the guy play at a 70 pt pace for ~70 games than a 50pt pace for ~80 games.

And I don't see the conspiracy theories either. They made the trade with medical records of the issues. Then he got to Dallas and our doctors got a closer look and advised for surgery.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:06 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBoards View Post
I don't understand the weeping & gnashing of the teeth when we're talking about a 50/50 chance that the guy misses 10-12 games.

I'd rather have the guy play at a 70 pt pace for ~70 games than a 50pt pace for ~80 games.

And I don't see the conspiracy theories either. They made the trade with medical records of the issues. Then he got to Dallas and our doctors got a closer look and advised for surgery.
Through November is a lot more than 12 games.

If he comes back right at the end of November, that'll be 23 games. Not expecting it to be that long, but it'll probably be almost a quarter of the season.

And where's the 50/50 chance? He's out for sure. This first sentence makes absolutely no sense.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:55 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:

And where's the 50/50 chance? He's out for sure. This first sentence makes absolutely no sense.
Lockout.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:40 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Lockout.
Oh, that makes sense then.

12 games doesn't.

Old
07-14-2012, 09:41 PM
bhetz23
G-14 Classified

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
Or are shoulders and elbows two different things? Any ortho docs in the house?
No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

bhetz23 is offline   Reply With Quote