HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Sign Palushaj 1yr 2way

Old
07-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Roulin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
- Pacioretty
- Desharnais
- Cole
- Bourque
- Plekanec
- Gionta
- Moen
- Eller
- Armstrong
- Gomez
- White
- Prust

These are our de facto top 12 forwards coming in to camp. If Palushaj can't show that he is a significant improvement over at least one of these guys, and also outplay the other guys looking for a job (Nokelainan, Blunden, Leblanc, Geoffrion, Gallagher, etc.), then he doesn't deserve a spot. If he does, that's great! If not, he'll be a good presence in Hamilton.

What we can't be saying are things like: "he needs lots of top 9 time to show what he can do!" That's crap. Winning rosters consist of players that FORCED their way into the lineup because of their ability to contribute regardless of other circumstances. If that's what Palushaj wants, he'll need to show in camp that he is a much more useful player than a guy like Bourque, Armstrong, Gomez or Prust.

I for one would love to see some younger players force their way in to our lineup, as it suggests they are ready and show some promise, but that certainly doesn't mean I think they should be handed roster spots undeservedly.
Really good post, I agree with your argument. The one caveat I would add: if Leblanc, Gallagher and Palushaj are close, I would give the job to Palushaj, as the other two prospects don't have to clear waivers (even if Palushaj is unlikely to be claimed, why take the risk if you don't have to?), and could benefit from big minutes in Hamilton, at least to start the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Oh yeah...and did Pacioretty force his way into the line up? No, he got minutes with bottom 6 players and didn't produce very much at all. WHen he was finally given a chance with some offensive players and some good quality minutes he broke out.

Palushaj hasn't even come close to getting that chance.
Pacioretty did force his way into the lineup, by dominating the AHL to the point where it was getting ridiculous. That last season, the way Desharnais and Pacioretty were playing in Hamilton, was the ultimate example of players proving they were ready for the next level.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:35 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Wouldn't be surprised if Phoenix, Carolina or Winnipeg picks him up. Just the type of player they know how to groom. I hope he stays and helps Hamilton though. Good emergency call up too.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I wouldn't write Palushaj off yet. In his last call up he was outplaying his opponents night in and night out while playing on the fourth line. Considering he struggled early on, that is exactly what you want to see from a younger player. I still think he can be a top 9 forward in the right role, just got to give him that chance, which he has never had.
I agree. You may not like him, but he's definitely earned this deal from the Habs. He kept his head down, worked hard, and battled his way into the lineup last year. He doesn't have a ton of upside but i like it when players get rewarded like this.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:36 PM

He's gonna be good for Hamilton.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Great signing. Let's see what he can do in Hamilton and hopefully he can do more damage this year with the Habs. One thing is for sure, if the Habs do call him up during this season, which I believe they will, he definitely needs a shot in the top 6 with some offensive players to play with.

Patches produced minimally when he played with bottom 6 players during his call-up days. He went back to Hamilton, spoke his mind about why he wasn't producing, and when it was time to put up or shut up, he put up points. This is what Palushaj needs. That vote of confidence, that kick in the arse. Then all the people that have stood by patiently will have their claims justified.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:51 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Great signing. Let's see what he can do in Hamilton and hopefully he can do more damage this year with the Habs. One thing is for sure, if the Habs do call him up during this season, which I believe they will, he definitely needs a shot in the top 6 with some offensive players to play with.

Patches produced minimally when he played with bottom 6 players during his call-up days. He went back to Hamilton, spoke his mind about why he wasn't producing, and when it was time to put up or shut up, he put up points. This is what Palushaj needs. That vote of confidence, that kick in the arse. Then all the people that have stood by patiently will have their claims justified.
I'd be shocked if Palushaj wasn't claimed, if he gets waived

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

If Ben Maxwell can be claimed off waivers, Palushaj can too.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:03 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Who ?

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Timing matters, though. Out of camp, I don't think there's much chance he'd be claimed. Sooooooo many players on waivers at the same time, and teams have just spent months crafting their lineup and assembling their internal depth options... that's not the time anybody is going to claim Palushaj. Mid-season is a different story, however.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:11 PM
yianik

This kid is the exact kind of situation that is going to give us some insight into whether we are going to develop our young guys better. He is not a bottom 3 kind of player, he does need to play on a line with some skill ond offensive talent. We do have a 3rd line center in Eller that fits the bill if he cant crack the top 6 out of camp. There are other prospects that we have that we might like better than this kid, but before we risk losing him on waivers or trade him for a 7th in 2014, give him a real shot to show what he has. If he doesnt cut it then maybe we get nothing for him and maybe he is a career minor leaguer, but no more do I want to see our just cutting loose our young guys to see them develop on other teams.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Never write off a Wolverine. You'd hope that in all those years, he'd be much stronger though. I guess you can do so much depending of the body you have, but I'd be really interested to know about his work ethic. 'Cause I just didn't see any improvement in that department as far as physical upper and lower body.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:21 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Pacioretty did force his way into the lineup, by dominating the AHL to the point where it was getting ridiculous. That last season, the way Desharnais and Pacioretty were playing in Hamilton, was the ultimate example of players proving they were ready for the next level.
Agreed, Pac looked like a new man as the two were just great together.

Quote:
I'd be shocked if Palushaj wasn't claimed, if he gets waived
I'd be shocked if he did get claimed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Timing matters, though. Out of camp, I don't think there's much chance he'd be claimed. Sooooooo many players on waivers at the same time, and teams have just spent months crafting their lineup and assembling their internal depth options... that's not the time anybody is going to claim Palushaj. Mid-season is a different story, however.
Agreed 100%

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
always put up points in hamilton

i thought he was terrible in his first call up , just TERRIBLE, ...but he honestly grew on me in the 2nd call up, i thought he was playing REAL good down the stretch of the season

id love to see what he can do

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
I think we all want to see our prospects given a chance, especially guys like Palushaj, who are nearing the point where they either make an impact, or don't. But what exactly does 'get a chance with Eller' mean? How much time does he get to prove himself?

A practice?
An exhibition game? Two?
An NHL game? Two? Five? Ten?

How much of a 'chance' does he get before having to show something? At some point, the coaching staff/management is going to stop thinking about Palushaj and start thinking about winning as many NHL games as possible. I also think that 'point' will come a lot sooner for an NHL coach than it will for posters on 'hockey's future' message boards.
It's not just about a game. There's more to it than just that.

Put him next to Plekanec and Gionta and one would assume he got a chance. But what he really got was the toughest minutes with toughest match ups. So, it wouldn't be all that surprising if he struggled along side Plekanec. All the media smarties though would call it a failure to step up on his part.

What getting a chance means is being placed in an environment to succeed.
So, playing next to offensive linemates, versus weaker opponents, to begin. Next, you could give his line offensive zone faceoffs. You could also give him some PP chances.

You mentioned MaxPac. When he was used on the bottom lines, he showed very little. He made it clear that he didn't feel he should be playing on the top lines, either in the NHL or AHL.
After he made the big club again, he was used along side Gomez's wing, not facing the toughest opponents (Plek was, as usual).

So, that's what it means to get a chance. Give him the best chance to succeed.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:35 PM
goonshow

if i'm not mistaken, Palushaj played for Guy Boucher in Hamilton for a brief stint(2009-10) and put up some decent numbers thru the playoffs..Boucher has already picked up JT Wyman from that team.. i also think Palushaj spends all summer working out and skating w Ben Prentiss in Connecticut w Max Pacioretty and a handul of Tampa guys including Marty St Louis .. i would bet Tampa would take hard look at him if he came over the waiver wire...

goonshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Never write off a Wolverine. You'd hope that in all those years, he'd be much stronger though. I guess you can do so much depending of the body you have, but I'd be really interested to know about his work ethic. 'Cause I just didn't see any improvement in that department as far as physical upper and lower body.
Do you know who the habs have working with the prospects on training
and nutrition, and stuff like that. I recall they had this guy Livingston, but he left
a year or two ago.
Although, in Palushaj's case it may be just genetics, I hope the Habs are
getting leading edge training for the young guys. And I think this should include
staying on top of those that are not progressing well.
This is an area where a well managed team can get an egde. And to a small

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:41 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonshow View Post
if i'm not mistaken, Palushaj played for Guy Boucher in Hamilton for a brief stint(2009-10) and put up some decent numbers thru the playoffs..Boucher has already picked up JT Wyman from that team.. i also think Palushaj spends all summer working out and skating w Ben Prentiss in Connecticut w Max Pacioretty and a handul of Tampa guys including Marty St Louis .. i would bet Tampa would take hard look at him if he came over the waiver wire...
yes he did play for Boucher and he did have a good run in the playoffs that year. I'd be surprised if Tampa took him off waivers at the start of the year, but I admit I haven't been paying attention to how their roster is shaping up.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Teufelsdreck

At present Palushaj seems to be incapable of beating out anyone for a roster spot. Let him try to improve in Hamilton and perhaps he might come back as an injury replacement.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I was pretty happy when we got him for D'Agostini. I thought a fresh start. Now Palushaj won't even be as good as Diago.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:36 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
It can if it means the Habs lose 2-3 games because of a lack of secondary scoring. That can be the difference between making the playoffs and being 9th/10th place. Its nice to think about 'giving him a chance', but who are you moving out of the top 6 to make room for him? Pacioretty? Cole? Gionta? Even Bourque has accomplished way more than Palushaj and shows more on a regular basis. That being said, if one of those 4 becomes a passenger or gets injured, and Palushaj has earned a chance, then give it to him, by all means, as long as he is the player that gives the TEAM the best chance of success at that time. That's what its all about really.
Of course the scenario I would be talking about would be in the case of an injury, for example. I'm not saying we should take Pacioretty out of the top-six to put Palushaj in his spot just for the hell of it. But how many times last year or the year before did we see an injured guy from our top-six be replaced by the likes of Moen, Darche or Halpern? Why not try a guy like Palushaj instead, at least for a few games? That's all.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:03 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post

I'd be shocked if he did get claimed.

Yeah....who out there would be interested in a good young player with some offensive potential in the NHL?

Old
07-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
It's not just about a game. There's more to it than just that.

Put him next to Plekanec and Gionta and one would assume he got a chance. But what he really got was the toughest minutes with toughest match ups. So, it wouldn't be all that surprising if he struggled along side Plekanec. All the media smarties though would call it a failure to step up on his part.

What getting a chance means is being placed in an environment to succeed.
So, playing next to offensive linemates, versus weaker opponents, to begin. Next, you could give his line offensive zone faceoffs. You could also give him some PP chances.

You mentioned MaxPac. When he was used on the bottom lines, he showed very little. He made it clear that he didn't feel he should be playing on the top lines, either in the NHL or AHL.
After he made the big club again, he was used along side Gomez's wing, not facing the toughest opponents (Plek was, as usual).

So, that's what it means to get a chance. Give him the best chance to succeed.
This is a good way to look at it if its from the player's perspective, but think of it in terms of the coach or the team. How much do you shift your lineup around just so that a rookie can better succeed? Remember every 'opportunity' you give him with Plekanec, on the PP, etc. is a spot taken away from someone else. If/when he gets that opportunity, he has to show what he's capable of, or risk losing that spot to a veteran, or another rookie that will get his shot.

In my mind, a rookie/young player should be thrilled to be dressed at all and do whatever he can to help the team, which doesn't always mean putting up points. Last year Palushaj was starting to come on at the end of the season, and it wasn't because he was scoring tons of goals. He was on the lower lines, and contributing some hard work, good tough shifts, and not getting scored against too often. I take that as success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Of course the scenario I would be talking about would be in the case of an injury, for example. I'm not saying we should take Pacioretty out of the top-six to put Palushaj in his spot just for the hell of it. But how many times last year or the year before did we see an injured guy from our top-six be replaced by the likes of Moen, Darche or Halpern? Why not try a guy like Palushaj instead, at least for a few games? That's all.
We're on the same page here. I'd prefer seeing guys with more offensive skill fill in when a top 6 or 9 forward goes down as well, but that is ultimately up to the coach I guess.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Yeah....who out there would be interested in a good young player with some offensive potential in the NHL?
That's your opinion, not mine. Obviously Bergevin must have minimal interest in him if he signed him two-ways for one year. The Habs just drafted a raft of forwards. For starters, Collberg looks more promising, not to mention Gallagher and Kristo among those already in the system.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:41 PM
MrNasty

I think he sucks. If there was ever a time for this guy to show his worth, last year was the time. As long as this guy keeps getting ice time, this team will continue to suck. He is a great Ahl forward but doesn't have the tools to be a top 6 guy inthe Nhl or the strength to be a bottom 6 guy.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:42 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
That's your opinion, not mine. Obviously Bergevin must have minimal interest in him if he signed him two-ways for one year. The Habs just drafted a raft of forwards. For starters, Collberg looks more promising, not to mention Gallagher and Kristo among those already in the system.
It's amazing to me that 3 guys with a combined zero PROFESSIONAL hockey games to their resume have somehow passed Palushaj on the depth chart.

Also, Lol at you "knowing" Bergevin has minimal interest in Palushaj just because he signed a 2 way deal.