HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dominik Hasek wants to play in the NHL; talked to Buffalo

Old
07-12-2012, 03:12 PM
zorz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonDRW View Post
He is one of the best in history. Top-3 definitely. Just after Tretjak. 47 years old Hasek could be better than most of G in NHL.
its a rare gift to know how to compliment somebody and put him down in the same time

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
47 years old and didn't play last year...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
I want to see him play the alumni game for Detroit before the Winter Classic. That's more his speed at age 47.
With the announcment today about "Alumni Plaza" and plans in the future to add more commemorative statues, maybe Pegula could get a head start and just put a pedestal for Hasek to stand on during opening night.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

Dont ruin your legacy Hasek. Please.

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:35 PM
tmack224

I would love to see the Sabres Sign him for 1 Day so he can Retire on the Ice opening night and have his jersey retired.

tmack224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Goalie guy

I would like to see him come and coach the monster in Detroit!!!!

Goalie guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Sens Rule

He needs to sign in the AHL and hope for an injury to make it back to the NHL. If he is willing to do that he could concievably make it back to the NHL this season if he earns it and a spot with some team becomes available. No team in the NHL is going to sign him as their backup goalie being 47 and not having played in a year. If he had 20 great starts in the AHL the franchise he is with or even another team in need of an NHL goalie through injury or poor play might trade a late pick for him and give him a chance for a short term... and if he suceeded then who knows. He is one of the best ever. But he is going to have to earn back an NHL spot through stellar play in the AHL and no other way.

I hope he actually tries. It would be an awesome story!

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:50 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgo View Post
Maybe because even at ripe age of 47, there is still big probability, that Hasek is better than anything teams like Chicago or Toronto have between pipes.
He was washed up 4 years ago. It's delusiononal to even consider signing this guy. Come back down to reality buddy. He's 47 years old. He retired after his cup win in 2002 and he's still trying to play 10 years later. He goes on like a broken record.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:07 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

A platoon consisting of a 47 year old Hasek and an 87 year old Johnny Bower would still be the best goaltending Toronto's had since the lockout.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Kip96

Why are people so against this? I would like to see him try it out. The guy is a great athlete and has probably kept himself in great shape

If he has anything left he could even be a starter in CBJ or TO

Kip96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:01 PM
JayQueensNY88*

I think and feel he would be good for 15 games a year..@47 God bless him for staying in shape and still wanting to play the sport he obviously loves.good for him.I say someone gives him a shot.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:02 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip96 View Post
Why are people so against this? I would like to see him try it out. The guy is a great athlete and has probably kept himself in great shape

If he has anything left he could even be a starter in CBJ or TO
Why are people against this? He's 47 years old.... And he's a goalie of all positions. There's no room in the league for him.

Old
07-12-2012, 06:09 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Someone should give a game or two in pre-seaon see how he does and then make a decision if he's still capable or playing in some role

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Can New Jersey sign him. Would be the oldest G group in the history of the league.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:26 PM
ScottyBowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
He was washed up 4 years ago. It's delusiononal to even consider signing this guy. Come back down to reality buddy. He's 47 years old. He retired after his cup win in 2002 and he's still trying to play 10 years later. He goes on like a broken record.
Thank you. He's done.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Holy Slapshot

Luongo's value just went down.

Holy Slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:37 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Can New Jersey sign him. Would be the oldest G group in the history of the league.
Petty sure they already have the oldest tandem in league history.

Old
07-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
As much as I'd like to see Hasek come back here to Buffalo because he's one of my favorite goalies of all-time and it'd be like the '90s and early 2000s all over again, I just don't think it'll be probable. It's not that I think Hasek is done (I do believe he could be a decent backup still) but we just don't have room for him in Buffalo. If we sign him, it wouldn't spell the end of Miller, that's for sure; Miller goes nowhere. It'd put us in a position where we'd have to probably move Enroth. Goalie value is at an all-time low. Why trade a young goalie we'd likely have an awful time finding a taker for and if we do, get next to nothing in return for, just to make room for a year of Hasek? It doesn't make sense. Look at Bernier. He's looking to be moved and there are only a handful of teams that will be interested. Luongo's also on the market. Most goaltending is set in the League now. The teams that do want a goalie are much more likely to pony up for Luongo or Bernier than Enroth; I don't blame them, Enroth isn't as good as either of them. If the Kings and Canucks are finding it difficult to move Bernier and Luongo respectively, it'd be even harder for us to move Enroth.

In short, unless Enroth agrees to play in the AHL for the year (would he even be waiver exempt?), it's not happening. We aren't trading Enroth just to make room for Hasek to take his spot. Believe me, I would love for Hasek to play for us again, if it were possible, but it's just not. I say do for him what the Stars did for Modano and sign him to a one-day contract and let him retire as a Sabre. Since he's seemingly trying to get on good terms with our franchise again (hell, he's telling us he'd like to play for us again), please just retire his jersey number already. There shouldn't even be a debate about that anymore.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!

I don't know if Columbus would be interested but he'd be good for the game there... even as a back-up.

Highbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbrow View Post
I don't know if Columbus would be interested but he'd be good for the game there... even as a back-up.
Columbus just got Bobrovsky and still has Mason. They're planning on letting the winner of the starting job be determined in camp and the loser will be the backup. They don't need another goalie.

I looked at all the goalie situations in the League and really the only teams I see that could seriously want to address their goaltending are the Hawks and Leafs. However, Chicago does have Crawford and Emery so they don't have to do anything if they feel they can get by with those two. The Leafs will definitely add a goalie before the season starts, but it remains to be seen if it's Luongo or someone younger like Bernier. For Chicago, Hasek going back would only possibly upgrade the backup position for them and for Toronto, the Leafs are looking for more of a starter, which Hasek isn't anymore. I see neither of those teams as fits for him.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Dionysus

vCash: 50
Signs in NJ, splits the season with Brodeur. Two of the best goalies of all time, make it happen.

Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:23 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Maybe give him a pre-season appearance or two and let him "retire" a Sabre, kind of like what the Flames did with Theoren Fleury a few years ago?
Unfortunately, it sounds like he's looking for multi-year deal, which he should absolutely not get from anyone, imo. If he doesn't find any takers, I hope he'll sign a 1-day contract with Buffalo and retire a Sabre.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:30 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Petty sure they already have the oldest tandem in league history.
I believe the Leafs had Bower and Sawchuck when both were in their early-mid 40's. I could be wrong, though.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Xelstyle

13 year contract, front loaded with...

Oh wait, I thought we were talking about a top UFA.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Signs in NJ, splits the season with Brodeur. Two of the best goalies of all time, make it happen.
and NJ comes in last place...

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:24 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Come to Vancouver please. This man is legendary, he's still just as good as a few teams starting goalies. Sign him up.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote