Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jiri Hudler Signs 4 yr / 4 per

Old
07-12-2012, 01:10 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
If Hudler can be a 50-55pt player consistently, and provide a level of skill and mentorship that coincides well with the likes of Baertschi, Backlund, Reinhart and Gaudreau then I will be very happy with him.

I just hope Feaster realizes the guys we have in the pipe and allows spots to be open for them. I know we don't have a lot of guys ready now, but I don't want to see 'vets' continually be signed when our young guys are ready to take the reigns and run with it. I know he says he's not afraid to move out players, but he hasn't exactly always followed through on those words in the past. If a young guy steals a spot this upcoming camp, then I'm going to expect that Jay moves a player out to open up a spot for him.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:27 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

vCash: 500
I'm not known to be a Hudler slappy or a Hudler hater on the Wings board, like most people (he was a polarizing player in his time in Detroit), so here is an impartial take:

Strengths: Possesses some puck wizardry. Lots of skill and can play catch with the puck with the best of them. Doesn't turnover the puck easily. A good passer, he leans towards setting up plays, but he's also not at all afraid to go to the net, and he has a very good shot - not overly hard, but a good release with very good accuracy. He'll score some goals where you go, "Damn!" Not afraid of contact, willing to muck it up in a puck battle, along the boards or in the corners.

Weaknesses: Small, slow, and weak. His physical attributes are significant limitations. They are mostly why he is not a strong defensive player. Because of his speed, he won't win many races, won't blaze past defenders, and isn't a very good backchecker. Because of his size and lack of strength, he won't bull through traffic, isn't very effective in the defensive zone when covering bigger opposition players, and won't win most of the puck battles he gets into.

In Sum: If the guy were 6'2", 215lbs, and fast, he'd be one of the best players in the league. But he's not. And due to those physical limitations, he's a poor option to play center in the NHL. If that's what you're hoping for, you'll probably be disappointed. But as a winger who plays with other skill guys, he can be very effective, especially on the PP, where he has more space. Depending on who he plays with, and various other factors, I would expect somewhere between 45-60 points. A good complementary skill forward with physical and defensive limitations.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:18 PM
JurassicTunga

vCash: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
I'm not known to be a Hudler slappy or a Hudler hater on the Wings board, like most people (he was a polarizing player in his time in Detroit), so here is an impartial take:

Strengths: Possesses some puck wizardry. Lots of skill and can play catch with the puck with the best of them. Doesn't turnover the puck easily. A good passer, he leans towards setting up plays, but he's also not at all afraid to go to the net, and he has a very good shot - not overly hard, but a good release with very good accuracy. He'll score some goals where you go, "Damn!" Not afraid of contact, willing to muck it up in a puck battle, along the boards or in the corners.

Weaknesses: Small, slow, and weak. His physical attributes are significant limitations. They are mostly why he is not a strong defensive player. Because of his speed, he won't win many races, won't blaze past defenders, and isn't a very good backchecker. Because of his size and lack of strength, he won't bull through traffic, isn't very effective in the defensive zone when covering bigger opposition players, and won't win most of the puck battles he gets into.

In Sum: If the guy were 6'2", 215lbs, and fast, he'd be one of the best players in the league. But he's not. And due to those physical limitations, he's a poor option to play center in the NHL. If that's what you're hoping for, you'll probably be disappointed. But as a winger who plays with other skill guys, he can be very effective, especially on the PP, where he has more space. Depending on who he plays with, and various other factors, I would expect somewhere between 45-60 points. A good complementary skill forward with physical and defensive limitations.

Thanks for that.

Really like the Strengths you mentioned. He'll play on the RW most definitely.

JurassicTunga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:15 PM
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty

vCash: 50
I think one of the greatest benefits of having Hudler is he will be a mentor of sorts for Cervenka. They are friends outside of hockey and were watching the World Cup together. This is great news for Flames fans. I am actually pretty excited about this season. If Baertschi/Cervenka/Backlund/Alui do what we think they can, this could be a glorious underdog year and we can all throw it back at the HF haters.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:51 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
I think one of the greatest benefits of having Hudler is he will be a mentor of sorts for Cervenka. They are friends outside of hockey and were watching the World Cup together. This is great news for Flames fans. I am actually pretty excited about this season. If Baertschi/Cervenka/Backlund/Alui do what we think they can, this could be a glorious underdog year and we can all throw it back at the HF haters.
Didn't know that...

Wonder if that had anything to do with him signing here.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote