HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Future of the Flyers

View Poll Results: What moves this offseason should the Flyers make?
Trade for a natural scorer (Nash, Ryan, Iginla, etc.) 4 5.33%
Trade for a #1-2 defenseman (Weber, Yandle, Edler, etc.) 18 24.00%
Sign proven, veteran UFA talent (Semin, Doan, etc.) 24 32.00%
Stick with current roster heading into 2012-13 29 38.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-12-2012, 03:52 PM
jweiner

vCash: 500
Future of the Flyers

Looking around the division (current 5 team division), the Flyers seem to be 3rd on the pecking order of talent behind PIT and NYR. With PIT having the elite core of Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, Letang and Fleury locked up and NYR having a wealth of current, relatively young depth and upcoming talent at all positions with Richards, Gaborik, Callahan, Hagelin, Dubinsky, Kreider (unproven), McDonaugh, Girardi, Staal, MDZ, Sauer (when healthy) and Lundqvist, the Flyers simply do not have the talent to keep up.
As it stands, in 12-13, we'll have Giroux, Hartnell, Briere, Schenn (fringe), Couturier, Simmonds, Voracek, Read, Timonen, Coburn and Bryzgalov as our main contributors. (On top of that, the backup goaltenders for PIT and NYR could start on our roster.)

What really changed that is going to allow us to stop PIT from putting pucks behind us? What changed that is going to allow us to win a game against NYR this season? Though neither PIT or NYR has made moves to considerably better themselves, they still retain their core players and did not lose the pieces that the Flyers did in JvR, Jagr and Carle. The Flyers have been competitive year after year, but this offseason has puzzled me and is cause for concern.

-JVR for L. Schenn
I did not like the JvR trade as we have become smaller up front without his presence in the lineup. This made signing Jagr even more imperative, which did not happen. Though Luke Schenn is only 22 and has already played in 4 seasons with 310 games, he has only shown in 1 of those 4 seasons that he can excel against secondary competition. Risky move for sure, potential for potential.
-Losing Carle and Jagr
Carle was not a bad defenseman by any means. He had 38 points, 26 of which came from even strength and 164 blocks to go along with that (stick blocks mostly). He also chewed up ~25 minutes of ice time and finished a +55 in his tenure with the Flyers against top competition. It is/was a big loss to our backend and cannot be easily replaced. At 5.5m/6y, it was the right decision to let him walk, but our lineup is not better off.

Losing Jagr's size, shot, leadership and threat factor creates a hole that will not be easily replaced. Simple as that.
-Signing Leighton, Fedotenko and Gervais
Outside of everyone's distaste for Leighton, he knows the goalie coach well and probably will provide value for his cap hit. If he can start for 12-15 games can get us 7-9 wins, it will be a win in my book, regardless of how ugly they'll be.
900k/1yr
Grade - C+

Low risk move in signing Fedotenko at 1.75/1y. Playing alongside Couturier and Read, double digit goals for sure and ~50 blocks, excellent depth/3rd line signing.
1.75m/1yr
Grade - B+

Signing Gervais was surprising. We'll see if he can come into his own at age 27 and provide solid minutes. Indifferent on this move.
825k/2yr
Grade - C
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let's take a look at some of the issues that the Flyers face now and in the future.

Forward
- Who is going to play wing with G going forward?
G needs the puck on his stick to excel and large/aggressive wingers to either create space or get open to take shots.
Hartnell - Yes. But what if he doesn't resign with Philly for whatever reason?
Schenn - Maybe. Has the talent and size, but can he take his game to the next level and avoid injuries?
Voracek - Currently, no. Plays a game similar to Jagr (finesse, possession), but does not have an accurate shot.
Simmonds - Currently, no. Far too inconsistent for top-line duty and is more suited to a secondary scoring/grinding role.
Read - 50/50. Has the talent (quick shot, gets open), but not the size which is an issue when playing with a small center.
- When does Giroux get his extension to be a Flyer for life? Does he even get a 10+ year contract with the new CBA?
- How will we be able to afford a group of young forwards that scores 20+g/50+pts each in Simmonds, Voracek, Read when their extensions come up all within the next 2 years?

Defense
- What is the plan for a #1 defenseman going forward?
Knowing Pronger is unlikely to return to the lineup next season (or ever again) and Timonen has 1y left on his deal, our blueline's future is Coburn, Grossmann, Schenn, Meszaros, Gustafsson, MAB and Gervais. None of which show the capability to run as a #1.
Outside of Weber, there are no upcoming free-agents that are bonafide #1 defenseman and nothing in our prospect system that suggests we have help coming.
Goaltending
- Will Bryzgalov get his game together and be a consistent goaltender?
????? Who knows, anyone's guess.
- What about a future starter/backup goaltender?
With Hovinen and someone else as his backup (Heeter likely to start in ECHL) in the minors, it looks as if it will be a revolving door of backups for a minimum of 2 years. In addition, we have no goalie prospect that has shown #1 capabilities.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As I see it, the line pairings should look like this for next season.
Hartnell-Giroux-Schenn
Simmonds-Briere-Voracek
Fedotenko-Couturier-Read
Rinaldo-Talbot-Wellwood
Holmstrom-Sestito

Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-Grossmann
Schenn-Gus/MAB/Lilja/Gervais

Bryzgalov
Leighton
Waiting on the Parise and Suter decision's is what has made this offseason unsuccessful. Missing out on cheaper, stop-gap defenseman such as Kuba, Garrison or Salo or even taking gambles on players such as Mueller for cheap has forced the Flyers into a corner with limited, difficult decisions.

In my opinion, this should be the lineup going into the 2012-13 season. That may sound contradictory to the last paragraph, but standing pat is the best option given the variables this offseason regarding the thin UFA market, uncertain CBA and unfavorable trade market. By making a trade to acquire a natural scorer such as Ryan or Nash would be taking two steps back to go a step forward as the cost is high for both and not worth it. Trading for Weber is risky/unlikely as you may not be able to resign him in addition to him costing us 3 roster players plus picks to even get his rights. Signing Doan seems unlikely due to his desire to stay out West or play in Canada for 4+ years. Signing Semin for short term might be our best option given the variables this offseason, which is a testament to how limited the options really are. Waiting until next offseason seems to be the logical solution with potential UFAs such as Perry, Weber and Iginla.

The Flyers simply do not have enough to give up for trades and after losing out to Parise and Suter. They have been forced into a position they are not accustomed to in relying on progression and their current roster for short and long term success.

What say you? Do the Flyers need to make a trade to get a proven natural scorer? A bonafide #1 blueliner? If they do, what do they give up with no high-end prospects or expendable roster players? Should they wait until the next offseason to spend money? Or are they set for this season?

jweiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:53 PM
nuclear reactor

Not gonna read all that crap but the concept that the Flyers don't have the talent to keep up any other team is laughable. It was laughable before you listed Kunitz, Fleury, Hagelin, and Dubinsky as elite.

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:55 PM
lancer247

you mean the same PITT team that the Flyers owned in their own building and then knocked out of the playoffs in 6 games with 6-7 rookies and Lilja in the line up?

NYR is a tough match up but people forget that before the Rags took like 8 in a row from the Flyers the Flyers had taken 6 in a row from them. The Rags went from not making the playoffs to an 8th seed (IIRC) to 1st in the conference by adding 1 stud player (Richards) and getting young guys to understand Torts system. Two seasons ago Callahan and Girardi were tracking to be a 3rd line grinder and maybe a 3-4 dman respectively.

What is so hard to believe that Voracek and L.Schenn can't do the same this season?

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:10 PM
jweiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
you mean the same PITT team that the Flyers owned in their own building and then knocked out of the playoffs in 6 games with 6-7 rookies and Lilja in the line up?

NYR is a tough match up but people forget that before the Rags took like 8 in a row from the Flyers the Flyers had taken 6 in a row from them. The Rags went from not making the playoffs to an 8th seed (IIRC) to 1st in the conference by adding 1 stud player (Richards) and getting young guys to understand Torts system. Two seasons ago Callahan and Girardi were tracking to be a 3rd line grinder and maybe a 3-4 dman respectively.

What is so hard to believe that Voracek and L.Schenn can't do the same this season?
Didn't say Voracek or L. Schenn can't. My point is the Flyers are relying on both of them taking a step forward and attempt to replace some of the production of Jagr, JVR and Carle. A lot to ask of young players.

With NYR, my point was their D core is younger and is better than ours today and in the foreseeable future.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:11 PM
jweiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
Not gonna read all that crap but the concept that the Flyers don't have the talent to keep up any other team is laughable. It was laughable before you listed Kunitz, Fleury, Hagelin, and Dubinsky as elite.
Relax man, was saying the core of Pitt - Malkin, Crosby, Neal, Letang and to a lesser extent Fleury and Kunitz, were elite. Not anyone on the Rangers.

Thanks for posting a constructive response

Old
07-12-2012, 05:12 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Good post, but I have some comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweiner View Post
With PIT having the elite core / NYR having a wealth of current / Flyers simply do not have the talent to keep up.
The Flyers just pantsed the Penguins. They're always a tough team, but to say the Flyers cannot keep up with them is simply false. Pittsburgh and New York got worse. New York plays a style of game that is legitimately problematic for the Flyers.

Quote:
Bryzgalov as our main contributors. (On top of that, the backup goaltenders for PIT and NYR could start on our roster.)
Bryz stunk this year and I blasted him, but off years are common for goaltenders. I expect him to be much better.

Quote:
What really changed that is going to allow us to stop PIT from putting pucks behind us? What changed that is going to allow us to win a game against NYR this season? Though neither PIT or NYR has made moves to considerably better themselves, they still retain their core players and did not lose the pieces that the Flyers did in JvR, Jagr and Carle. The Flyers have been competitive year after year, but this offseason has puzzled me and is cause for concern.
Good questions, but the off-season is long. Rumors are circulating that the Flyers are not done addressing the defense.

Quote:
Losing Jagr's size, shot, leadership and threat factor creates a hole that will not be easily replaced.
Perhaps, but others have to step up.

Quote:
- Who is going to play wing with G going forward?
Probably Hartnell.

Quote:
But what if he doesn't resign with Philly for whatever reason?
It has been reported that the Flyers will look to lockup Hartnell early in the next season rather than allowing him to hit FA. Talks are of an extension.

Quote:
What is the plan for a #1 defenseman going forward?
Who knows? Perhaps the Flyers can string Kimmo along on 1 year deals and groom Schenn, maybe Coburn steps up.

Otherwise, probably going all in for Weber.

Quote:
Do the Flyers need to make a trade to get a proven natural scorer?
The Flyers could use Semin to give Giroux a true scorer. He's been signing short-team (1 / 2 year) contracts.

.... and it wouldn't require losing assets.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:13 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Just don't trade Giroux, Couturier, B. Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds or Coburn and I'll be a happy man.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:19 PM
jweiner

@Downie

I don't think looking at the Penguins playoff series is a good indicator of how it will go next season. With a healthy, (assuming) full year of Crosby, they are a different team. Honestly, it could go either way, I just wouldn't say that we will roll over the Penguins next year like we did this year.

@FlyersFan18

Don't trade anyone is the philosophy the Flyers should adopt this offseason. Go after Weber when he is available.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:22 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
@Downie

I don't think looking at the Penguins playoff series is a good indicator of how it will go next season. With a healthy, (assuming) full year of Crosby, they are a different team. Honestly, it could go either way, I just wouldn't say that we will roll over the Penguins next year like we did this year.

@FlyersFan18

Don't trade anyone is the philosophy the Flyers should adopt this offseason. Go after Weber when he is available.
If you can improve your team whether through Free Agency, Trades, or otherwise, you do it. I just don't see any proposals in which those players are involved that would significantly improve our team.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:23 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Doan is really the only other person I want from the UFA list. Even if we have to pay him 4M+, I would.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:33 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
@Downie

Yeah, I doubt we roll over them either, but I wouldn't be terrified of them, either.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:30 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Doan is really the only other person I want from the UFA list. Even if we have to pay him 4M+, I would.
1 year deal and I'm all for it.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

vCash: 71
Kunitz is far from elite.

Chuck Downie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:16 PM
laundryman

I would push hard for Yandle personally

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Mota

I really disagree with your post.

The Flyers have lost personal this offseason, but I dont think their losses are worse than other teams in the division. I personally think our team is better without Carle...and although I am not fully convinced the JVR trade was the right move...it could pay off big if Schenn is solid for us. I think losing Jagr could hurt, but if the rookies take a step forward it wont matter.

I still dont get the Pittsburgh hype. Staal is a huge loss for them, and this past years playoff should how fragile a team they can be when their players have to face a little adversity. I really would not be surprised if they have to fight for a playoff spot this year.

NYR had a really lucky year last year...they didnt really face any where near the injuries the rest of the division had. On top of that, Tortorella's style doesnt seem to work too well over several years, so they are another team I could see having a disappointing year.

Losing Parise is huge for the Devils, but they always find a way to be competitive. The islanders have the talent to be good, but they still need to put it together.

My point is I think the whole division is up for grabs, I don't consider any of the teams a favorite at this point. The Flyers very well could win it this year. The key to the Flyers is their sophomores...if the slump the Flyers will have to fight for the playoffs...if they surge the Flyers will be a cup contender.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:13 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Didn't say Voracek or L. Schenn can't. My point is the Flyers are relying on both of them taking a step forward and attempt to replace some of the production of Jagr, JVR and Carle. A lot to ask of young players.

With NYR, my point was their D core is younger and is better than ours today and in the foreseeable future.
I understand your point but I think that is what the first few months of the season is for, to see if they can make a step forward before moving assets. If they can't they have assets and cap space for the deadline if they can then they can strengthen another area.

As for NYR D, I don't think they are that much better then the Flyer's D but they play a system that is easier on their D plus their goalie isn't too bad either.

Staal is a blue chipper but after that I think Coburn, Mez, and Schenn match up with anyone on the Rags D. Schenn may be the blue chipper the Flyers need but at worse I see him being as good as Girardi. Mez is being seriously underrated because he had some injuries and an off year but if he returns to the way he played his first season with the Flyers he is a solid #2 as is Coburn.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Psuhockey

The Flyers are a playoff team as constructed. As the Kings showed, that is all that matters. They should sit tight until the deadline where they might be able to add on the cheap with the upcoming UFA market having a few quality defensemen.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:40 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Flyers aren't less talented than the Rangers, at all. Rangers just play their system well, Flyers don't.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:06 PM
DrHamburg

I feel like Talbot is the only guy from last year who wont produce the same as last year. Briere had a really bad year offensively I thought and should do better. Couts and Schenn should also improve offensively a lot. Whoever plays with Hartnell and Giroux will also have their point totals increase (probably Jake). I feel getting the same number of goals should be about the same. Luke Schenn will probably replace half of Carle's with hopefully better defense. Gervais should be an upgrade over Lilja/6/7th guys. And Fedotenko should be an upgrade on the 4th line. Also, you have to think Bryz is gotta be a little better. It would be hard for him to be that bad again even though 2nd half he played outstanding.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Esq.

1. trade for Ryan
2. trade for Nash
3. sign Doan
4. sign Semin
5. trade for Morrow

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:40 PM
CTU2fan

I voted stand pat, I'd still like to see them add a true 4C so Talbot can play the wing and you'd have a solid checking group that can pressure and win some faceoffs. This market (trade and UFA) is really a seller's market and I'd rather not overpay in terms of money (capspace) or assets for less than elite talent.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:58 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I disagree 100% with this article.

JVR for Schenn - a trade of two guys who never quite reached their potential in either city. JVR was given every opportunity to succeed and with the exception of one playoff run, he had difficulties bringing his game to the next level. Schenn was in a location where his coach did not like or trust him. Still don't understand why. Schenn was great his rookie year, had a tough second year, really started coming around in his third year, and then Wilson threw him under the bus in his fourth year. It also didn't help that Schenn was informed he needed to put on an additional 15 pounds of muscle and mass to play against the East's bigger forwards. From what I know, Schenn is going to report to camp at 215 pounds and he's going to get plenty of one on one time with Timonen, Hatcher and defenseman coach Kevin McCarthy. I expect Schenn will rebound.

Losing Jagr and Carle - I'll admit, losing Jagr is going to be tough. His influence in the locker room and work ethic are a big loss. At the same time, Jagr scored 17 goals on the top line. Voracek is ready to man the right side on the Giroux line. And when you consider that Voracek scored 18 while playing on the 2nd and 3rd lines, there's no reason to believe that he can't score 20 to 25 on the top line with Giroux and Hartnell.

As for Carle, his 23 to 25 minutes a night will be missed. But at the same time, his high price tag of 5.5 million a year won't be missed. Simply put, Carle is NOT a 5.5 million a year defender. He's not very physical, doesn't have a heavy shot at all and cannot run a power play. For 5.5 million, that's going into the top tier range of defensemen and Carle isn't in that range.

Meszaros will be 100% when training camp starts and his back will be all healed up. Meszaros will take Carle's spot in the lineup and Meszaros can do the things Carle can't. I expect Meszaros will more than replace what Carle brings to the table.

Signing Leighton, Fedotenko, Gervais - Leighton is a known quantity and fact is, he's a favourite of Laviolette and he served his time for not telling the team he was hurt when he signed his contract. He's learned his lesson and he knows his role here. Yes, it would have been nice to have someone like Martin Biron or Justin Peeters or Dan Ellis, but the Flyers signed someone who the coaching staff is familiar with.

Fedotenko is an excellent team guy and he knows his role. He's going to be limited to either third or fourth line duty and he's going to be a veteran presence. On top of it, he's a guy who steps up his game at playoff time and he's a well liked guy in the locker room. Having great locker room influences is something you can never have enough of.

As for Gervais, it is what it is. A depth signing. He's there strictly to see if the guys like Gustafsson or Bourdon will be pushed by his presence and play at a continual high level. He's also going to help spell a defender or two when injuries hit.

In terms of forwards, you can pretty much take this lineup to the bank:

Hartnell / Giroux / Voracek
Simmonds / Schenn / Briere
Talbot / Couturier / Read
Fedotenko / Holmstrom / Wellwood
Sestito, Rinaldo, Shelley battling it out for the final forward spot

As for the defense:

Grossmann - Coburn
Schenn - Meszaros
Timonen - Gustafsson

So, there's lots of room for optimism. On top of it, the Flyers have set themselves up financially to be flexible at the trade deadline AND in free agency next year.

This is going to be a competitive club. It's unfortunate that Jagr and Carle left, but at the same time, the Flyers had their replacements already in the lineup and they needed to go so that those guys get the opportunity they deserve.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

Just saying.....
Elite status wise.....
Something I did in my toilet > Kunitz

Giroux 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:46 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

NYR - didn't do much.
PIT - got worse, possibly significantly where defense is concerned.
PHI - got worse offensively, maybe better defensively.
NJD - lost a key player.
NYI - got slightly better.

If Schenn and Couturier each have their breakout year this year, the rest of the Atlantic isn't going to be too pleased.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:40 AM
BillDineen

1- Sign Doan if possible (unlikely) and/or Arnott as a 4C who can actually win a faceoff (vs Talbot or even Feds as 4C)
2- If above not possible go into season as is
3- If sophomore slumps (Read, Couturier, Schenn) and/or L. Schenn continues to struggle trade during season and/or key injuries
4- Upgrade at trade deadline (Grossmann type trade rather than Kubina please)
5- Profit?

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote