Wellwood to Switzerland

Old
07-12-2012, 06:13 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
we have lots of AHL players who can be 20/50 guys in the NHL?...really?

he had only 7 points fewer than semin and 3 points fewer than doan.

i very much hope we re-sign him...he was our top scorer at christmas....for a team that cant score, i dont get the 'who cares' attitude for one of top 4 scoring forwards.

how is that 'expendable'?
I know it is OT but who ever designed The park cafe qualico centre at the Assiniboine park is a friggin genius.....just sayin

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:25 PM
TCsmyth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I know it is OT but who ever designed The park cafe qualico centre at the Assiniboine park is a friggin genius.....just sayin
Is Wellwood there?

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:30 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
Is Wellwood there?

Perhaps TC...he might be held up in the castle!

BTW I would be down with a road trip next year (Nashville would be my number 1 choice) if I could get a day pass from the warden! We might meet some of our Atlanta brethren at the game and camp out with Mike and Carrie

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Bob E

Quote:

i very much hope we re-sign him...he was our top scorer at christmas....for a team that cant score, i dont get the 'who cares' attitude for one of top 4 scoring forwards.

It's all the other parts of the game that he doesn't contribute to.

He's terrible on the forecheck and loses nearly every loose puck battle. Chevy seems to be building a team that is more physical and hard to play against. They likely feel that will give them more success on the road and in the playoffs.

Here are some more stats. Wellwood had 10 hits last year... 10... and 13 blocks. He had 30 hits when he played with the Canucks a couple of years ago. He doesn't really kill penalties, either, likely due to a lack of foot speed.

I think Chevy feels he's replaced Wellwood's Top 6 production with OJ. Now, if Scheifele can stick, in a Top 6 role, a 40+ pt season from him is not out of the question. With Little sliding to wing, overall its an upgrade over keeping Wellwood. If Schief can't stick, then more moves will be made, but i don't think re-signing Wellwood will be that move.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:37 PM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:

Considering that last season was Wellwood's career year after a few years of lackluster production, it's entirely possible that he doesn't produce even close to what he did next year. I don't think Wellwood is even in the league of a player like Semin or Doan, who have track records of consistently scoring to the levels they did last year. Winnipeg got the most out of Wellwood because they played him in favourable and sheltered circumstances. Maybe they can do it again, but maybe they can't; they certainly won't get 47 points on a 700k contract, though.

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:53 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:

I don't think Machecek (and other farm boys) could cover a legit top6 roll but I think a lot of players can do better than Welly would normally due.

There are a lot of things wrong with your statements here:

1) Scoring wasn't a huge problem, albeit some consistency would be nice. Our largest problems were: penalty kill, Pav's consistency, extreme lack of depth (having a firstish line, second/third line tweener, 4th line and the AHL line) and goals against(which probably occur a lot from the previous points).

2)A lot of our dryspells with scoring could occur from us being outmatched due to lack of depth, which we addressed in this offseason.

3) Wellwood is very unlikely to produce similarly again. He had a lot of secondary assists (which are pretty much random, not skill or setup) relative to normal ratios. He had a career high in shooting% (which means puck luck answered a lot of his goals). He was also mostly on the second line, which was severly sheltered by Noel whenever possible with having Kane and Burmi on it.

4) Expendable is less how good someone is but more how easily replacable the person is. A top 6 of Kane, Jokinen, Wheeler; Ladd, Little, Burmistrov/FA does not need Wellwood.

Like most players, I find Wellwood is often grossly over-rated or under-rated... He's a smart offensive player and a pretty decent playmaker. I personally would like him for 1-2 years to help force our farm boys (ex: Sheifele and Telegin)to fight for the top6 roles, but there are others on the market (and may be available in September with waivers) who could do as competently.

I honestly think this year you will see Burmistrov surpass Wellwood.

Last edited by garret9: 07-12-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: details
garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote