HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What happened in your best game?

Old
07-12-2012, 02:32 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Good job on your first goal.

Now if they're anything like the scorekeepers in our leagues, they'll eventually end up giving your goals to goalies, players on the bench, and players who aren't even playing that day!
One time, I scored my teams only goal in a 6-1 loss, and some how on the score sheet I got credit for a goal, and the assist

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:36 PM
TUCKER 06

The best game I ever played in isn't necessarily the best game I've personally played, but I had an absolute blast.

It was a Make-A-Wish Foundation tourny a friend set-up for a school project. The last game of the tournament we were rolling 3 fwd lines and 3 defense pairings against a really good team. I was on a line with my brother and one of my best friends (who also happens to be my brother's brother-in-law). We don't get to play together very often, so this was special on its own.

I rung one off the post, BIG time (CLANG!). My bro caught a behind the net pass, came out to the faceoff circle and shot. It ended up bouncing off the goalies shoulder, high into the air and then into the net. Then on a 2 on 1 rush with my buddy, the D man put his stick down to try to take away the passing lane and I sauced it right over his stick, onto my buddies tape and he put it away to take the lead in the 2nd period. The feeling of playing (& playing well) on a line with two people like that can't be equaled. I think you could hear us celebrating both goals we scored in the warm seating area we yelled so loud!

Anyway we were probably the most effective line on our team, due in part to some of our stronger players being matched with weaker players on the other lines, but we accounted for 2 of the 5 goals we got, dug in the corners, got in the gritty areas and came out of the game +2.

The game was a 5-5 tie and went into OT. We lost in the last 30 seconds, but it was a great battle throughout.

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
One time, I scored my teams only goal in a 6-1 loss, and some how on the score sheet I got credit for a goal, and the assist
Now that's impressive!

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Reading some of these responses, aside from ripping it up for a game at my level, some of my proudest games have been playing well/competent at a higher level.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian91 View Post
I've NEVER gotten a hat trick

When I get it, I guess that will be my best game ever... although it'll be hard to top the 2 goals and 4 assists that I got in a 8-7 win a few years back.
Speaking of hat-tricks... haha..

Last night I had probably my best game so far in my year and a half of my hockey playing career (all men's league). I got my first hat-trick as well as a couple of assists, and the goals I scored were not too shabby either! I line up with my father as my center (he's 55 and I'm 23, it's a blast playing with him) and some other older guy (about 45ish) on the right wing.

For my first goal of the night, the RW tried to dish it to me in the neutral zone but it deflected off of one of the other team's players and went onto their defenseman's stick. Well I bolted at him and chipped it off of his stick and into their zone where it was heading towards their net. The puck was sitting somewhere around the top of the left circle and I think if the goalie tried he could have come out and snagged it but he didn't. I got the puck and took the most quick-release snapper I've ever taken and beat the goalie 5-hole (another first for me).

My second goal was in the 2nd period and I think we were winning 4-2 or something like that. I pretty much just drove wide down the wing towards the net and my dad laid a PERFECT pass onto the blade of my stick and I tapped it in backdoor. It was pretty as hell and one of the forwards on the other team even came up to me and was like "woo, that was a pretty play" and I was just like "yup, that's my dad... always making beautiful plays" haha. Having my dad lay out a perfect pass for me that I finish on is a great feeling.

And for the third goal, it was the 3rd period and the other team had come back a bit with the score being 5-4 us or something along those lines. Someone on my team passed me the puck in the neutral zone and I took their zone with speed going down the wing with my RW going to the net parallel with me. While I was carrying the puck thinking of what I was going to do with it, I quickly remembered reading the "becoming a better goal scorer" thread on these VERY forums the night before and I remembered one specific tip... to look off the pass. So I kept my head and eyes on my RW, making the goalie think I was going for the pass, all the while keeping the net in my peripheral vision. Eventually I just ripped the puck top right corner, from the most impossible angle on the left side, and it went bar-down and in. It was definitely the prettiest goal I've ever scored and a bunch of guys came up to me and complimented me. Definitely felt good being a semi-beginner and all.

So, a goal a period and a couple of assists... it was a great night and loads of fun. My team ended up winning 10-5! I think my dad got like 5 or 6 goals haha. Granted, the other team wasn't the best defensively and their goalie wasn't an all-star or anything.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:07 PM
questhockey

Was a defenseman back in junior days - like 18 years ago. Our team had a ton of injuries so we had to call up some players to fill in spots.
Well on way to rink those players got in an car accident (no injuries). They called a tow truck and were going to be showing up late. Our team had no injuries with D-men, so coach decided to put me (stone hands) up front on wing.
It was long running joke on our team that unless it was a slap shot from point, I had never scored a goal...so there was no way I'd ever score a goal in close with my skills.

For a joke I stated I would score 5 goals that game, just to have some fun with the guys.

Anyway the coach heard me and put me on starting line.

Well 1st shift, guy goes behind net, and passes out to me, and woohoo...#1

2nd shift, D-men shot from point, and deflects off my helmet, as I had just been hit from behind, in front of net, D-man trying to clear me. woohoo #2

3rd shift, for some unknown reason I was wandering out near the red line with the puck in our end. (Probabaly due to fact I was soo bloody tired from 1st 2 shifts).
I got a sweet outlet pass onto my stick and I had a clear break away...came in got close, shot...rebound right back into my shin pads and the puck went in oh ya #3.

So by this time, the fans are screaming, the guys on bench are rolling on ground laughing, and...did I mention the coach made me a bet of $100 I wouldn't even get a hat trick....winner winner chicken dinner.

So 1st period ends, and in dressing room, I'm getting high 5's, and pats on back, and an IOU from my coach..lmao

Replacement guys show up for rest of game and I went back to playing D...which I am much better suited for. I did get 1 more point (assist) in the game but, never got my 5 goals.
For that 1st period, I was a God among men (or so I tell my son now). It was best feeling I have even had..with exception to my son being born. (which I also tell my son!!

Last edited by questhockey: 07-12-2012 at 04:13 PM.
questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Reading some of these responses, aside from ripping it up for a game at my level, some of my proudest games have been playing well/competent at a higher level.
I hear you. I was a house player my whole life, played in a local Senior AA inter-squad game this last year. Former Junior and College guys all around, far different speed. I threw some good checks, won some faceoffs, made some solid defensive plays and even scored (a gimme off a nice pass). Keeping up with guys who played at a high level is a nice feeling.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:59 PM
SCritical

I don't think its helpful to measure our best game in goals because even the coasters on my team can dawdle all game then tap in a loose rebound.

What I consider my best game was one where I scored no goals. But I had a llot more control of the puck and deked out or shut down players loads more experienced than me. Why did I perform so well that day? We were playing a team that is loaded and we ended up losing badly to. Not that we played terribly, they were just that good and our coach was expecting a loss. When we play them I feel absolutely no pressure because no-one expects me to hold my own against one of those players.

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:35 PM
OpenIceHit42

Recently..

Regional semi finals I scored on a one timer from the high slot to put my team up 3-2 and send us to the championship.

A couple of weeks after that my team was in the finals at the HNA Championships a few weeks ago in Toronto playing a team from Boston that we had already beat; about 6 minutes into the first period I dumped the puck from center so we could get a line change and I had put it on goal, the puck skipped about a foot in front of the goal and through the goalies 5-hole putting us up 1-0. About 5 minutes later I scored again on an absolute snipe from the slot putting us up 2-0. We go onto win the HNA national championship 3-1.

Needless to say I was on cloud 9 on the flight home to St.Louis, my teammates joked around and asked if I'd be able to get my head through the door of the airplane.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:20 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

My best game was like 5 years ago... I played house league (dont make fun) and my team was undefeated like 9 games into the season or something, but we were down a goal going into the last minute.

The puck was in our offensive zone, but with like 15 seconds left the opposing team took it away and started down the other end. So I, being a *****, lazily skated back just assuming we wouldnt have a chance to tie it up.

I was at about the red line, skating back really slow, when one of the kids on my team stole the puck. I was literally just standing on the red line mopeing, and then he passed it out to me while I was just standing there haha

I had like 8 seconds left so I took off, and then scored on the breakaway with 3 seconds left (and in our league, the clock didnt stop for whistles, so after I scored the clock kept going and time expired like as I was skating by the net after scoring, it was literally a buzzer beater haha)

It was really cool cause I didnt score very often (maybe like 6 times a year or so in 16 game season) and especially cool cause I kept our undefeated season alive even though Im pretty sure we lost next game haha. My dad was the coach, but unfortunately this was like the only game of the year he missed

wKetch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:29 AM
TUCKER 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCritical View Post
I don't think its helpful to measure our best game in goals because even the coasters on my team can dawdle all game then tap in a loose rebound.
I agree,

I picked the game I mentioned above as one of my best because up to that point it was one of the best/hardest games I had the opportunity to participate in, I had a great time playing it and I generally was impressed with my performance despite it being a 1 point night for myself (assist).

I've had more than a few games where I've completed a hat-trick or finished with lots of points, but they rarely stick out in my mind (well, maybe a few of the prettier goals do ).

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:38 AM
BADoglick

In a 3 on 3 league, it was a small, very small roller hockey rink. Nice rink, good floors. But very close quarters. So scoring was kinda easier since you could score from literally almost anywhere, but kinda not since you always had someone on you.

I usually play in a 4 on 4 league, and the rinks only a little smaller than a regulation ice rink, and scores are usually like 6 4, or something. The 3 on 3, it was often like 12 8.

But one game, we won 17 to 9, and I had fifteen points in the game. 7 goals, 8 assists. And only primary assits are awarded. And I play defense. First was a breakaway though, second was penalty shot, and the rest of the goals just peppered from the points and then distributed assists.

BADoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Thesensation19

Varsity Hockey, Senior year.

Was suppose to have a great season but started pretty ****** only with 5 points in 5 games. Our team was doing as expected after losing 7 starters including our goalie and league MVP, we were 1-3-2 and entering our last game of the first half of season.

Against one of our schools biggest rivals.

I remember it pretty clearly. I broke my back up stick so my Dad offered to pay for a new one right before the game. I always had 2 piece sticks and was told to try one piece sticks. I wasnt for expensive sticks but I did finally want a nice one, almost got my father to buy me a $160+ stick but instead went for my second choice.

A Rbk pro stick, it was a Islanders pro shop so most likely owned previously by an ex player and it was cheaper because it was somewhat used.

I went out there in warm ups and really liked the release on a one piece. Sharper, quicker, stronger. My slap shot, which i sucked at improved too. The LIE, Curve and power of the shaft compared to my wood or 2 piece sticks felt so right with this new stick.

The game started and I began domination.
Won the game 7-3 and scored 4 goals and even put up an assist. Had 1 more goal than our teams best player who was also league MVP at the end of the season.

I scored the game winner on my @$*. I hopped on the ice, took a 2 way pass and went 1-1 with a defender. I lost the puck, he took it and skated upwards from his zone as I rushed to backcheck. Luckily one of my defender stopped him from clearing the zone. My teammate passed it back up to me where I was the lone man in the middle of the offensive zone. Took the pass and turned around ready to attack the net but i was tripped from behind by the same defender who originall took it from me. But I held the puck on my blade and proceeded to get some shot on target and luckily the goalie went down and my shot went up. GOAL. 3-2

I remember also scoring on a 2 on 1. I came in from the right side (im a righty) and had a man in the middle. The defender took my teammate as i proceeded to the net on an angle. I had one skate behind the goal line with my stick and the puck in front of the net as i attempted to fake a pass to my teammate and lifted it back hand. As my coach would say, Peanut Butter as the puck got stuck on the top of the net.

I scored 2 more goals but cant really remember them.

With that stick i continued to play really well and helped the team win more games. I added more depth and a scoring touch we needed. In 8 games I put up 11 goals, added 3 more assists to that and tallied for the leagus top 10 in points and top 5 in goals. We missed the playoffs by one win.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 10:52 AM
newfr4u

Rbk pro sticks are so money

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

My career was meh at best...

I played in, about 50 games over 4 seasons... Totalling a whopping 3+1 and 139 PiM.

1st Game, 1st shot... Scored...

2nd goal, came near the end of the season... Parked literally in front of the crease, got a big juicy rebound and went 5 hole with it.

So my first season consisted of a scoreline like this; 13GP, 2+1, 22PiM.

Season 2, 15GP, 31PiM

Season 3, 13GP, 34PiM

Season 4, 11GP, 1G, 52PiM.

That final goal, came on a 1-on-2... I was coming down the left and wristed it between the guys pads and catcher... I felt like god that day, delivered an AWESOME hip check sending the guy over the barrier That was a game that I really enjoyed playing in...

Oh, and this was all as a Dman.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:43 PM
OTP Legend*

I've always played higher level hockey (AAA growing up) but was like a fringe player usually.

When I was like 10 or 11, I put up a random hatty against the top team in the league that used to smoke everyone. We somehow won the game 4-2.

When I was like 14 or 15, I remember scoring 6 goals in a spring league game. It wasn't against the highest level of competition, but everything worked out for me. The thing that sticks out to me was a lucky deflection I got. Shot was just off the ice, I got a piece of it in the slot and deflected it off the cross bar and in.

Winning my 1st beer league when I was 19. Me and a good friend of mine joined a 2nd division team late in the year (after they had an awful start and some team/friend issues). We ended up winning the championship for them that year. I got 4 goals in game 3 (best of 3) and celebrated hard that night.

OTP Legend* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Geo73

I went 0-5=5 in our game on the weekend. First game of the year too. That was pretty fun. Best memory was a surprise start on the 1st line in the opening game of the international tournament we were hosting at U16s. I was normally the 3rd line big hitter but our usual top line RW was injured. Scored the opening goal of the tournament on a backhand rebound whilst falling over after their goalie stoned us for most of the game. Only time I've ever had a packed rink (around 1500 folks) cheering for me. What a sensation!

Geo73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 07:37 PM
Datsyuk1
Rookie User

My best game was back in the day when I was playing AAA with a guy named Brandon Barber.
I'm an OK player, but playing with this kid - I was a superstar.
In the provincial finals, I ended up with 4 goals 0 assists. Barber had 4 assists naturally.
It was 3-1 at the start of the 3rd. But I scored 2 quick ones to open the period, and then with 49 seconds left on the clock, Barber dangled past not 1 but 2 defenders, and dished me this puck...****in crazy.
The place went absolutely nutssso. We had about 3000 people there too. Not too bad to finish off the Minor Hockey Career.

Big ups to my coach Simon too..great guy

Datsyuk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 10:29 AM
TieClark

I scored the game winner in overtime to go on to the semis in the playoffs one year.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 10:16 PM
ChrisNI

vCash: 50
Playing the local police team in our league, we were short benched with 7 skaters to their 15 or so.

We won 6-5 with me scoring 5 goals and getting the assist on the other.

Was probably my best game as it was so much fun and so close! we pretty much went back and forth on goals the whole game with both teams maybe going up by a goal and then down by a goal!

It was so tense, the last 10 mins or so I didn't change up (not that I had to as we only had like 2 extra skaters) and just dumped the puck to stop any chance of them scoring.

ChrisNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:31 AM
Bexlyspeed

my best game came about 4 years ago in an over 30 midnight hockey league.

i play stay at home D so this is my best offensive game. im sure i had better games passing and blocking shots etc, but who remembers those???
needess to say we were playing a team that was not too good and by the third period we were up like 9-1, and i already had a goal and an assist.

long story short my team is awarded a penalty shot late in the game.
NOBODY wants to take it because were up already by a large margin so if they score they kind of look bad for running it up (not that we hadnt already), but if they miss they look bad too.

Enter Me! yeah i know but it was the only time i would be able to take a penalty shot!

i skated from my blueline, picked up the puck on my backhand, quickly put it to my forehand and built up some speed, stickhandled a bit, faked backhand and went forehand over the goalies shoulder!

and we did win the championship that year too

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Beezeral

Best personal game 59 saves on 62 shots in a 3-2 loss.

Best team moment. College roller hockey national title win my senior year

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Droid6

In the area I currently live in (Norfolk, VA) there aren't many leagues so the breakdown of talent is all over the place. C league goes from new players to pretty good players, the B league is pretty good players to real good players and the A league is all the ridiculous players.

Well I fall in the pretty good player slot and I've had a lot of good games in the C league, including hat trick games but my best game in the C league was probably last Sunday where I scored 2 goals and my best shot ever (even though I didn't score on it). The first goal I just cut across the net full speed and threw the puck at the net in the opposite direction I was skating so the goalie was moving with me and I sent it across his body into the open side. The second goal I tricked the defender by changing speed when he turned his head. He saw me coming and I was skating at about 75% and he paced himself accordingly and when he turned his head to look at the puck carrier I hit 100% to get myself open in the slot and the guy with the puck made a perfect pass and I one-timed it into the open side of the net. My best shot ever was a backhand one-timer that the goalie wildly threw his glove out for and caught. The reason it was my favorite shot ever is because I always try to hit backhand one-timers instead of taking the safe play and catching the puck on my forehand and going from there and I always miss the puck and end up having to chase it down in the corner but this time I got all of it with a good backswing.

In the B league I have to rely on my speed to be successful because generally my hands are ****. So I would say my best games ever happened in the B league but I can't say which one particularly was the best but one that always sticks out was a game where we played one of the best teams and I was just out there trying to get into every play I could and in between periods I looked over at the other teams bench and they were all pointing at me telling each other to keep an eye on me. I don't think I scored in that game but I was definitely disrupting the other team and keeping the puck in their zone and the fact they pointed at me as the biggest threat on the ice made me feel good.

Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Esq.

My best game was the first game of my high school senior year, playing for my club team. I scored 4 goals - each of which was pretty nice. One was a shot from behind the net that I banked off of the goalie's pad and into the net - and I actually meant to do it! Another was a slapshot one-timer off a drop pass that I rocketed top shelf from the top of the right circle as we crossed into the offensive zone. We won the game 4-2 - I scored all of our goals. It was also cool because I knew there were scouts in attendance and at that time I was trying to get recruited to play at a Division III college.

I've had games where I've scored as many or more goals, but most of those totals were against weaker teams or in less meaningful games. This was a game against a tough team that was always a big rival to us and it set the tone for the whole season...well, up until I blew out my knee ...but that's a story for another time.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Good job on your first goal.

Now if they're anything like the scorekeepers in our leagues, they'll eventually end up giving your goals to goalies, players on the bench, and players who aren't even playing that day!
The amount of times I've been given goals (as a goalie) from anyone is insane.

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote