HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Official Predators Off-Season 2012 Thread - Part II

Old
07-12-2012, 10:59 AM
MrJoshua

vCash: 500
If Weber doesn't sign a long term deal and isn't traded, so the team has to watch him ride off into the UFA sunset next summer, then I'll get on the "fire Poile" bandwagon. If Weber comes back long term and no offensive improvements are made, I'll stay on the fence. Right now I'm in wait and see mode.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:21 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
If Weber doesn't sign a long term deal and isn't traded, so the team has to watch him ride off into the UFA sunset next summer, then I'll get on the "fire Poile" bandwagon. If Weber comes back long term and no offensive improvements are made, I'll stay on the fence. Right now I'm in wait and see mode.
im sorry if I am beating this in the ground but weber is a complete fool if he only signs a one year deal, since almost everyone is assuming the new CBA will do away with very long term contracts.

He could theoretically piss away 30 million dollars or more over his lifetime by failing to sign a 13 or 14 year deal under the current CBA...

yes he will still be rich regardless, but 30 million is real money...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:34 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
You keep posting the same thing - that we should be thankful that we're not Columbus, and that it's ok to lose because the Maple Leafs have been losing too.

I can't say that that's not a valid way to look at things, and if that makes you happy, so be it.

Me, I aspire to a little higher standard. Why do we have to measure ourselves against the dregs of the league?

Why can't we measure ourselves against Anaheim? Why can't we look at Tampa (they've faced many of the same challenges wrt to ownership, etc) and say, why not us? Why can't we be Ottawa? Even Minnesota, in less years, has had more successful playoff runs.

If you're completely happy with simply making the playoffs every year, then we'll have to agree to disagree. I fully admit that Trotz/Poile are good enough to make the 7th-8th seed every single year.

But if you're not, what in the Trotz/Polie regime makes you think that they can bring a cup to Nashville? Trotz's has taken multiple teams to the playoffs and accomplished pretty much nothing, and has actually been upset in the playoffs as many times as he's actually won anything. Poile has been an NHL GM 30+ years, and has 0 cups, and even 0 cup final appearances to his credit. I think 1 of his Washington teams made it to an eastern conference final. That's it.

Do you not have one shred of doubt that maybe, just maybe, someone can do a better job?

They've built 2 teams, and we've seen the best that Trotz/Poile can do, and it's a second round beatdown.

If Weber leaves, then what would be the harm in letting someone else give it a shot.
What is the absolute worst that can happen? We stink for a year or two and then we land a few dynamic superstars to rebuild around.
Minnesota has three total playoff appearances, one went to the conference finals. They've been out of the post season in the past four consecutive seasons, six of the past eight with two one and done appearances in that eight year run. Anaheim took 13 seasons to win a championship while spending big ... early Disney money helped. They've failed to reach the playoffs in two of the past three, and were eliminated by us in the first round of the other. Ottawa in has advanced to the Conference or Cup finals twice while playing six more seasons than the Preds. Tampa has one championship (year 12) but even making the post season is the exception rather than the rule for the franchise. They've cracked the 85 point level once in the past five seasons and have been a lottery team several times. Of the teams you mentioned, two have championships ... that's it. So should we be happy for a run to round three or is a Cup a necessity? If we make the conference finals, but, don't advance beyond the first round in the next eight seasons, that's ok? Win a Cup, then be a lottery team that wins only 24 games a couple seasons later is fine? That's the Marlins' system .... catch lightning in a bottle, then blow the team up. It's what Liepold tried to do in 06-07, and failed.

It's one thing to hope for a lot from a team. It's something else to look at reality and accept that making those runs is a very rare thing. It's not about necessarily being happy with only making the playoffs or round X, but, a Cup or nothing mentality is a setup for disappointment year in, year out. This is a team that has been built from within to be competitive season after season. It withstood the firesale and still fought its way to the playoffs in 07-08. The bad season of the past eight was 40 win, 88 point effort in 08-09. None of the teams you ask to compare us to can say that.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:37 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
remember if Weber leaves it will be via trade and I cant imagine us not getting a top notch forward in return, plus a servicable defenseman and maybe another roster player... so we will likely be "rebuilt"(or more appropriately redesigned) by the trade....
When Suter left it was not via trade. What has Poile said to make you think that he's pondering trading Weber?

The longer Poile draws this out the less return we get.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:40 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
When Suter left it was not via trade. What has Poile said to make you think that he's pondering trading Weber?

So if Poile waits until July 20th he'll only get the rights to Rico Fata and a game used Finley jersey from Providence?

Waiting until the deadline will reduce the return. Waiting a couple weeks during the summer, not so much. Sorry if that isn't as melodramatic.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:50 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

gelinas left to assistant coach in calgary. kinda wish he stayed with us but no way he turns down that offer.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:52 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post

Poiles #1 priority is to sign weber... Weber hasnt said he wont sign long term so why would Poile trade him before he makes a decision? makes no sense to me. I say wait. Our return will be just as good 3 weeks later in the summer than if we trade him today...it makes no difference. unless he wants to resign here and then trading him now would be moronic

Old
07-12-2012, 12:02 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatedandproud View Post
I'd really like to see how one could rationally counter this assessment.
He's agreeing with me so I won't.

My point is. If Poile is finishing 2nd on Kessel, Suter, Parise, Semin, whoever, maybe the money isn't the issue it's Poile's ability to sell Nashville.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:05 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantBeatMyPekka View Post
Poiles #1 priority is to sign weber... Weber hasnt said he wont sign long term so why would Poile trade him before he makes a decision? makes no sense to me. I say wait. Our return will be just as good 3 weeks later in the summer than if we trade him today...it makes no difference. unless he wants to resign here and then trading him now would be moronic
Tend to agree. I'd put a Crosby contract on the table, and put a deadline of August 15th. After that, he goes on the block to the highest bidder by Sept 1.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:25 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post

My point is. If Poile is finishing 2nd on Kessel, Suter, Parise, Semin, whoever, maybe the money isn't the issue it's Poile's ability to sell Nashville.
obviously you cant say suter(and parise) were a result of "poile not being able to sell nashville" because if you accept that logic then Holland couldnt sell Detroit and shero couldnt sell Pittsburgh, which obviously isnt the case...

the only way to "sell" Nashville to a player who has a different preferred geographical destination is to massively overpay.

would kessel have signed here for 8 mil a year? maybe... but do we really want to do that?

a better option is to trade for players under contract(or RFA) and then let Nashville sell itself.... thats what he did with Fisher, and Sergei Kostitsyn... if he can do it with Ryan or Getzlaf, we will be in great shape.

if Ryan or Getzlaf get traded to a Western conf team for a package that we could have easily matched or beaten, then I'll blame Poile...

Old
07-12-2012, 12:36 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Obviously if they could sell their town better they could have made money less of an issue, they didn't close the deal, neither did Poile.

Again, a good sales man gets a player, a great salesman gets the player...

I want greatness..

Old
07-12-2012, 01:02 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post

Or the flip side of the potential argument ... since none of us have a clue of what really happened in the negotiations ... it is possible that we were originally much further down the pecking order on many players and Poile talked his way up to second. All we get to see is the end result. We don't know what the team presents during negotiations, we don't know the true motivation of the players or their external influences, so instead of fact based analysis we get a lot of projections and supposition as to what is really going on in a situation we have no control over.

Maybe it's all a scripted event and hockey is an ongoing reality tv show for the past century.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:22 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Or the flip side of the potential argument ... since none of us have a clue of what really happened in the negotiations ... it is possible that we were originally much further down the pecking order on many players and Poile talked his way up to second. All we get to see is the end result. We don't know what the team presents during negotiations, we don't know the true motivation of the players or their external influences, so instead of fact based analysis we get a lot of projections and supposition as to what is really going on in a situation we have no control over.

Maybe it's all a scripted event and hockey is an ongoing reality tv show for the past century.
That would explain Alexander Radulov anyway..... (the scripted event part)

Old
07-12-2012, 04:04 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

I'm still depressed... I need good news...

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:46 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
I'm still depressed... I need good news...
Here is some news for you!
I new that before, didn't want to comment without proof, because knew that I would be taking apart here:

Sergei Kostitsyn to reporter of "Pressball" of Belarus (biggest sport news-media of Belarus) http://www.pressball.by/news/hockey/110527

"Forward of Nashville Sergei Kostitisyn told us about moment when head coach during PO suspended Andrei Kostitsyn and Alex Radulov for curfew violation and he thinks that decision wasn't fair.

Sergei:
-They weren't drinking, they was late at most 15 minutes. I know what I am talking about, first of all I was staying in the same room with my brother. Second I was at the supper with them, I just left a bit early, (because they wanted to figure some out in between two of them, particularly Andrei was telling Alex to play more pass not to skate around like crazy, more aggressive and to shoot more and don't see him as a competition that Italic is from me, you can take as it is, that what I heard.) They only stayed late in the restaurant because of the practice. Because of practice dinner was at 4, so supper you can't have early then 9. I think that to suspend both for 2 games was club's mistake.

Reporter:
-Yeah, kind off sounds strange:

Sergei:
-it became a problem, when Reporter that was having supper in same restaurant noticed Andrei and Alex. That was a guy from television, the one that work from in-between the benches. It is even more weird, because he came up, talked to them, we all know each other, he saw what they were doing there. But then he still called BT... "

Some for you to talk about

P.S. This is just a part of the interview, I will post the whole thing when it will be available, if you want.

Last edited by tserberis*: 07-12-2012 at 04:52 PM.
tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:02 PM
NoNecksCurse

sounds like poile/trotz ****ed up 2 scoring options in rads and ak.. but then think ab all the other stuff thats happened.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:10 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
sounds like poile/trotz ****ed up 2 scoring options in rads and ak.. but then think ab all the other stuff thats happened.
I hate it when someone screws up and people blame the person who imposes discipline...

lets be clear... Radulov and AK screwed up... if they hadn't, none of this would have happened, period.

we dont know if there was other stuff going on thats not public that made Trotz feel the need to drop the hammer, hard, on those two, but the blame should go to the ones who made the mistake in the first place.

as for SK... of course he's going to take up for his brother/countrymen....

Old
07-12-2012, 05:26 PM
glenngineer

Bottom line is AK and Rads were late. Doesn't matter if it were a minute or hours, they were late. They have a duty and responsibility to the team. Trotz and Poile did what they thought was right and everyone at the time agreed. You cannot let the inmates rule the asylum. Don't care that it was only 15 minutes. If they had a charter and they were 15 minutes late, I would've left without them. If everyone else is in their room at curfew, they should've been as well, especially since it was the playoffs. The suspension was the consequence of their actions and regardless of who told on them or how the staff found out, it's on them, plain and simple. Everything else is bunk as far as I'm concerned.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:37 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Bottom line is AK and Rads were late. Doesn't matter if it were a minute or hours, they were late. They have a duty and responsibility to the team. Trotz and Poile did what they thought was right and everyone at the time agreed. You cannot let the inmates rule the asylum. Don't care that it was only 15 minutes. If they had a charter and they were 15 minutes late, I would've left without them. If everyone else is in their room at curfew, they should've been as well, especially since it was the playoffs. The suspension was the consequence of their actions and regardless of who told on them or how the staff found out, it's on them, plain and simple. Everything else is bunk as far as I'm concerned.
If it was only 15 minutes because the two were discussing team strategy, Trotz and Poile are vindictive morons. There is no way that is the only explanation for the suspension.

SK is digging himself a very deep hole in an organization that prides itself on character.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:47 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
If it was only 15 minutes because the two were discussing team strategy, Trotz and Poile are vindictive morons. There is no way that is the only explanation for the suspension.

SK is digging himself a very deep hole in an organization that prides itself on character.
The same character Suter displayed handling his UFA status? jokes aside... SK gave us insight on a situation our management kept in the dark. Are SK's words true? we'll never know so honestly who cares. theres obviously a reason they were suspended. trotz wouldn't sit his two biggest offensive threats for ***** and giggles. Trotz wants to win more than any of us on this message board. He isn't behind the bench by default. he knows these players more than anyone and by erat and webers comments it sounds like rads wasnt liked in the locker room anyways.

Maybe SKs comments were rooted from his arbitration filing bcuz MAYBE the team doesn't want to resign him?

Old
07-13-2012, 06:51 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post

Say it was an hour late? Would that be ok if they were discussing team strategy? What if were 30 minutes? Where's the line? The line is where the staff made it and they broke the rule. I could care less if they were discussing team strategy or looking at strippers, they were late the night before a playoff game. Everyone else seemed to make it back on time so why didn't they? We can make excuses for them or the staff for benching them but if every other player is in their room when they're supposed to be, it's a disservice to them to let those two play. Everyone buys into the team concept. Don't care if it's Weber or Big Ern, they all follow the same rules.

And not knowing what the details were, it sounds like there were a lot of other reasons AK and Rads aren't coming back so that was more the tip of the iceberg than anything else.

Old
07-13-2012, 07:24 AM
RaiderDoug

If what SK says is true, then DP and Trotz were really stupid in their handling of this.

Am I supposed to believe that there's no incremental discipline between letting a boneheaded curfew violation go and then the next step is being suspended in the playoffs?

What the heck happend to a fine? A bag skate? Make 'em do some extra practice? Kangaroo Court?

Old
07-13-2012, 07:25 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
If what SK says is true, then DP and Trotz really are that stupid.

Am I supposed to believe that there's no incremental discipline between letting a boneheaded curfew violation go and then the next step is being suspended in the playoffs?

What the heck happend to a fine? A bag skate? Make 'em do some extra practice? Kangaroo Court?
Do you really think that's all that had happened until that point? Really? And you're only hearing one side of the story, the brother of the guy who got suspended, you think that's going to be objective?

Old
07-13-2012, 07:43 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Do you really think that's all that had happened until that point? Really? And you're only hearing one side of the story, the brother of the guy who got suspended, you think that's going to be objective?
We'll likely never know.

But DP/Trotz no longer get the benefit of the doubt with me.

Old
07-13-2012, 07:44 AM
tserberis*

Quote:
Then why don't managment tell us their side of the story. They feed of us, we have the right to know...

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote