HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

3rd Line Center to Vancouver

Old
07-13-2012, 12:46 AM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood99 View Post
Schroeder has had 1, just 1, good back third of a season since we drafted him. Asking him to be the #2 while Kess is out is asking way too much. Ebbet is the leading candidate right now, which makes me sad.
It wouldn't surprise me if Schroeder takes a couple more years of development (smallish skilled forwards often take longer - look at MSL), but when he gets to the big show I expect him to surprise a lot of people. And I could see him doing it this season, that's all I'm saying.

Socratic Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:49 AM
hollywood99
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charming View Post
We'd need another center coming back for no reason whatsoever so throw in either Lombardi or Connolly and we'll add Kassian or Jensen (your pick) and we have a done deal.
This is the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time. Well not that long actually. The trade you replied to was almost as stupid.

hollywood99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:50 AM
keslerburrows

Quote:
Schroeder has had 1, just 1, good back third of a season since we drafted him. Asking him to be the #2 while Kess is out is asking way too much. Ebbet is the leading candidate right now, which makes me sad.
No he really isn't.. Schroeder is, then Lapierre, then Malhotra, then Higgins, then maybe Ebbett. Which is still unlikely because we will likely get someone more capable then all the above in a Luongo trade, or through free agency. Or maybe even a trade not involving Luongo.

If all else fails (which they won't.) THEN Ebbett may see the top 6.

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:56 AM
hollywood99
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
No he really isn't.. Schroeder is, then Lapierre, then Malhotra, then Higgins, then maybe Ebbett. Which is still unlikely because we will likely get someone more capable then all the above in a Luongo trade, or through free agency. Or maybe even a trade not involving Luongo.

If all else fails (which they won't.) THEN Ebbett may see the top 6.
Did you watch last season? Ebbet DID get 2nd/3rd line time when Kessler was out. Lappy maybe but right now he's our #3 and is better suited there. Manny has no place near the top 6 or even top 9 for that matter and why would AV use Higgins at C over a natural C in Ebbet.

I'll say again. Ebbett is the leading candidate. Unless Schroeder has a wicked camp.

Old
07-13-2012, 01:03 AM
Ho Borvat

Tim Connolly.

- Would cost little to acquire.
- Can fill in for the top-6
- Center the 2nd PP
- Solid defensively
- Can be placed on IR at deadline when we need space (someones always injured at this time and hes the most likely candidate).

Yes his cap-hit is significant but its 1 year left and Gilman has made the cap his b**** before.

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Why the **** would we do that? They'd add Connoly or Lombardi for free I would think.

Also, you trade an impact goalie (who even as a backup would be worth 15-20 goals) + a top prospect to save no cap space and get back spare parts none of whom I'd say are much of an upgrade on Kyle Wellwood.

IMO, this is terrible.
Quote:
This is the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time. Well not that long actually. The trade you replied to was almost as stupid.

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:10 AM
keslerburrows

Quote:
Did you watch last season? Ebbet DID get 2nd/3rd line time when Kessler was out. Lappy maybe but right now he's our #3 and is better suited there. Manny has no place near the top 6 or even top 9 for that matter and why would AV use Higgins at C over a natural C in Ebbet.

I'll say again. Ebbett is the leading candidate. Unless Schroeder has a wicked camp.
1. It's Kesler*
2. Ebbett did not see top 6 time. At least not to start a game.
3. Lapierre did see top 6 time a lot last season, making him the second best option (next to Schroeder)
4. I agree that Manny has no business in the top 6, but if he regains any of his ability over this off season, it's a better option then Ebbett.
5. It's Ebbett*
6. Ebbett normally doesn't even start for the Canucks if the lineup is healthy at all, and probably won't even play at the beginning of this year with Kesler out.
7. Higgins is way more skilled then Ebbett, and has had some success at center.
8. Bringing Ebbett in the lineup means taking out someone with more ability (Kassian, Weise, Malhotra) Which is not worth it.

And finally, Schroeder is the best option ATM because he is the most naturally skilled out of the bunch and if he has a solid camp at all, he will likely have the spot for the time being Kesler is out. Remember Hodgson? How he got his chance and rocked it?

Old
07-13-2012, 01:10 AM
sully1410

Kyle Wellwood...is awful. Ok, well not awful. Awful is a strong word, but IMO, is I'll suited to the role of centre. He's small, and slow...two things that are not good for a third line and hardly ever shoots the puck. He could be in the damn crease and all he would do is pass the damn thing.

Welly is a fit for some teams, for instance he was good with the jets as he had a career year do to an abnormal high shoot % and alot of secondary assists. I would not look to him to repeat such a feat.

Not a good fit for your third, let alone the 2nd line on a team that expects to win the cup each year(not a dig, but going into the season, that's the expectation).

I do believe that a player like Plekanec would be a great fit for Vancouver as would Josh Bailey and Nik Antropov(won't be available till the deadline, so maybe useless.)

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:11 AM
hollywood99
HFB Partner

Quote:
Got us. Fair enough. Up the sarcasm next time.

Old
07-13-2012, 01:17 AM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Reading this thread makes me sad about Malhotra. He was a stud #3 shut-down centre. Now on the Canucks board we debate if he should be waived. Maybe he'll pull an Ohlund and get back to speed and this thread won't need to be anymore.

Samzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:18 AM
hollywood99
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
1. It's Kesler*
2. Ebbett did not see top 6 time. At least not to start a game.
3. Lapierre did see top 6 time a lot last season, making him the second best option (next to Schroeder)
4. I agree that Manny has no business in the top 6, but if he regains any of his ability over this off season, it's a better option then Ebbett.
5. It's Ebbett*
6. Ebbett normally doesn't even start for the Canucks if the lineup is healthy at all, and probably won't even play at the beginning of this year with Kesler out.
7. Higgins is way more skilled then Ebbett, and has had some success at center.
8. Bringing Ebbett in the lineup means taking out someone with more ability (Kassian, Weise, Malhotra) Which is not worth it.

And finally, Schroeder is the best option ATM because he is the most naturally skilled out of the bunch and if he has a solid camp at all, he will likely have the spot for the time being Kesler is out. Remember Hodgson? How he got his chance and rocked it?
1. Lappy saw top 6 time on the wing.
2. Ebbett didn't often start in top 6, you're right. He outplayed Cody and took it. Not always though.
3. Higgins is WAY more useful on the wing and boards.
4. This is all based on us not being fully healthy! So obviously Ebbet wouldn't play if we are.
And here is where you lose the argument...
5. Dale Weise!!!! Dale f-ing Weise???? More ability then what? A door? Unlikely!! Volpatti and Pinnizotto get in way before Weise. Who will be in Chicago or another team if we (hopefully) walk away from arbitration

Old
07-13-2012, 01:21 AM
hollywood99
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
Tim Connolly.

- Would cost little to acquire.
- Can fill in for the top-6
- Center the 2nd PP
- Solid defensively
- Can be placed on IR at deadline when we need space (someones always injured at this time and hes the most likely candidate).

Yes his cap-hit is significant but its 1 year left and Gilman has made the cap his b**** before.
Not sure if serious.....

Old
07-13-2012, 01:24 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Not sure if serious.....
When he's healthy, he's actually decent. Unfortunately...that's just not that common.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:25 AM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Not sure if serious.....
Im thinking more if Luongo ends up in Toronto that Connolly ends up here as a cap-dump.

If we've got to eat some bad salary, might as well get a guy who fills some needs on the team.

Old
07-13-2012, 01:26 AM
ronaldo123

Quote:
We'd need another center coming back for no reason whatsoever so throw in either Lombardi or Connolly and we'll add Kassian or Jensen (your pick) and we have a done deal.
Bozak
Scrivens
Lombardi/Connoly
4th

for

Luongo
Jensen/Kassian

No way in hell do we (Nucks) should do this

ronaldo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:26 AM
hollywood99
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
When he's healthy, he's actually decent. Unfortunately...that's just not that common.
I dunno dude. He's not a #3 C role player. If healthy and playing well he's better in the top 6. Which would never happen here. I mean Bozak owned him last year.... Nuff said right?

Old
07-13-2012, 01:31 AM
neutral zone trap13

Zack Smith for a decent defencman?

neutral zone trap13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:31 AM
keslerburrows

Quote:
1. Lappy saw top 6 time on the wing.
2. Ebbett didn't often start in top 6, you're right. He outplayed Cody and took it. Not always though.
3. Higgins is WAY more useful on the wing and boards.
4. This is all based on us not being fully healthy! So obviously Ebbet wouldn't play if we are.
And here is where you lose the argument...
5. Dale Weise!!!! Dale f-ing Weise???? More ability then what? A door? Unlikely!! Volpatti and Pinnizotto get in way before Weise. Who will be in Chicago or another team if we (hopefully) walk away from arbitration
You can tell you know your wrong when you branch off into a whole new argument. Your first point is not relevant because it doesn't really matter whether he was wing or centre, either way management thought he was a better option then Ebbett. Your 2nd point is false. Hodgson was 2C until Kesler came back, then he was on Keslers wing, then he was the 3C for the remainder of his tenure in Vancouver. 3rd point doesn't matter because it would never get to the point where Higgins would have to be converted to C because Schroeder or Lapierre would have already locked up the spot. Not really sure what your trying to say in the 4rth point, doesn't matter. And yeah the 5th point is where I am reminded you are a HF rookie.

Good night.

Old
07-13-2012, 01:35 AM
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo123 View Post
Bozak
Scrivens
Lombardi/Connoly
4th

for

Luongo
Jensen/Kassian

look farther up the thread...

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:36 AM
medhatcanuck

I hate not having a center. I think we use to have one. His name was Cody Hodgson or something like that. Still hurts we let him go. Would have been nice to keep Grabner too.

Jensen - Hodgson - Grabner would have been a helluva offensive line.

medhatcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:39 AM
medhatcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo123 View Post
Bozak
Scrivens
Lombardi/Connoly
4th

for

Luongo
Jensen/Kassian

Wow.

Van gives up two best pieces. Gets back Scrivens (we have one already named Eddie Lack) and a cap dump and a 4th.

medhatcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:39 AM
alphahelix

Horcoff for Ballard straight across

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:40 AM
Ho Borvat

What would Rangers want for Brian Boyle?

I know hes fairly well regarded amongst Ragners fans, but with the depth at C they have could he be expendable?

Old
07-13-2012, 01:43 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
I guess the problem is there's so many people on this board that actually think like that...

You've already had quite a few guys think you were serious.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:46 AM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
Horcoff for Ballard straight across
I feel like something around this could make sense, but I would still want Edmonton to add, or for there to be more moving parts.