HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Clowe and Douglas Murray to MTL

Old
07-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Laino

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahleezer View Post
Not interested in Clowe and Murray to be honest.

If price was reasonable for Murray alone I'd pull the trigger.
Overpayment

I too think Murray would be a fit in Montreal but not sure it would be worth the cost unless it was a pick.

Laino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:55 AM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

MacArthur + Franson + 3rd?

Sharks get younger and quicker, Leafs get bigger and meaner???

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:00 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
No, the Habs aren't getting rid of Eller and his very solid upside and 2 years at a VERY cheap rate (and still RFA afterwards) for 2 guys who are UFA's after next season.

Bourque had an awful season last year...why would the Habs give up on him after that? His value is horrendous right now.
So basically you expect the Sharks to give Clowe and Murray to the Habs for nothing of value?

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:11 AM
vaseline stampede
Rookie User

Murray is an incredibly slow, hard hitting, semi-useless 3rd pairing behemoth. Barely passes for an NHL player now and who knows where he'll be at in a few years. Make a serious Clowe offer here and get Murray for crap later, because that's what he is. The package idea just encourages SJS trolls to unfairly up the value.

vaseline stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:33 AM
handyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post

I've been hoping Burke would make a deal for Clowe for a couple seasons now, I just love how he plays and I think he'd fit into Burke's and Carlyle's style perfectly. I'm not too familiar with Murray but I think Clowe on the 2nd line for us over MacArthur is an upgrade with some grit.

handyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:

Sharks have no use for Cody Franson. For the Sharks to entertain the thought of trading one or both of Clowe and Murray, I think Gunnarsson has to be involved. The forwards that the Leafs have are okay but nothing spectacular.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Drydenwasthebest

What about Bourque and Kristo for Clowe?

Bourque is the better goal scorer, and Kristo is a very fast NHL ready player that needs a different team because he will be overlooked in Montreal due to his lack of size. I know Bourque had a bad season last year, but he still scored 18 goals. Montreal considers this deal because Clowe is a big hitting winger who would be great with Plekanec and Gionta.

Thoughts?

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Bad News Bears
MACHADO ABOUT NOTHIN

Sorry to be this guy, but it's Ryane Clowe.

Bad News Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:09 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaseline stampede View Post
Murray is an incredibly slow, hard hitting, semi-useless 3rd pairing behemoth. Barely passes for an NHL player now and who knows where he'll be at in a few years. Make a serious Clowe offer here and get Murray for crap later, because that's what he is. The package idea just encourages SJS trolls to unfairly up the value.
This is so terribly uninformed I don't know where to start. Yes he is slow, no he is not semi-useless. He's a solid top-4 defensive defensemen who happens to be one of the hardest hitters in the league (and probably the hardest player to knock down). He's extremely intelligent and is excellent positionally.

He was injured most of last season which is why he struggled, guy is fearless blocking shots and broke his foot, more than once, doing so.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:19 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
So basically you expect the Sharks to give Clowe and Murray to the Habs for nothing of value?
No, basically I expect the Habs aren't going to give up valuable young assets in exchange for 2 non impact players who are UFA's after next season.

Neat comment though

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:20 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
This is so terribly uninformed I don't know where to start. Yes he is slow, no he is not semi-useless. He's a solid top-4 defensive defensemen who happens to be one of the hardest hitters in the league (and probably the hardest player to knock down). He's extremely intelligent and is excellent positionally.

He was injured most of last season which is why he struggled, guy is fearless blocking shots and broke his foot, more than once, doing so.
He is just quite simply getting too old.

Guys like him once they start to get older their games deteriorate very quickly.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
No, basically I expect the Habs aren't going to give up valuable young assets in exchange for 2 non impact players who are UFA's after next season.

Neat comment though
Not being mean here but have you seen Clowe and Murray play? Understand the UFA part but non-impact?

07-13-2012, 11:34 AM
sheed36

Quote:

Is MacArthur + Franson + 3rd the new Ryder + Halak + 2nd..

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:38 AM
hockeyball

Quote:

Guys like him once they start to get older their games deteriorate very quickly.
He's 32... I'm really getting sick and tired of people calling 32 'old'. I'm freaking 32.

Would he have played better at 30 after multiple foot fractures in the same season? He broke his damn foot, twice, what do you expect? Most players wouldn't have even gone back on the ice, but he's a tough ******* who will play through almost anything.

Last edited by TMI: 07-13-2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: poster already knows why
Old
07-13-2012, 11:40 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
Not being mean here but have you seen Clowe and Murray play? Understand the UFA part but non-impact?
I classify impact players as top line (or unreal 2nd line guy) forwards or top pairing d-men (or a guy who can play 2nd minutes but get 40+ points).

Clowe is a solid 2nd line guy who provides a physical presence and can pot goals in bunches as well. But he's played on a very good offensive team, and is IMO not a top line player.

Doesn't mean he's not a solid player...but he's just not an impact player according to how I feel.

Murray isn't even close to an impact guy, it's debateable whether he's even a top 4 d-man moving forward.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Habitant le colon

3 way madness

MTL
Eller + Bourque + Kaberle + (Greg Pateryn)

SJ
Boyle + Clowe + (Sean Kuraly)

NJD

Volchenkov + Tedenby + (Blake Pietila)

-----------------------------

MTL
Clowe + Volchenkov + (Blake Pietila)

SJ
Eller + Tendenby + Kaberle

NDJ

Boyle + Bourque + (Sean Kuraly) + (Greg Pateryn)

SORRY

Gionta Plekanec Clowe
Pacioretty DD Cole
Moen Prust (? Leblanc ?) Arsmtrong
Nokelainen Gomez White
Geoffrion

Subban Gorges
Markov Volchenkov
Bouillon Emelin
Diaz Weber
St-Denis

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:37 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post
3 way madness

MTL
Eller + Bourque + Kaberle + (Greg Pateryn)

SJ
Boyle + Clowe + (Sean Kuraly)

NJD

Volchenkov + Tedenby + (Blake Pietila)

-----------------------------

MTL
Clowe + Volchenkov + (Blake Pietila)

SJ
Eller + Tendenby + Kaberle

NDJ

Boyle + Bourque + (Sean Kuraly) + (Greg Pateryn)

SORRY

Gionta Plekanec Clowe
Pacioretty DD Cole
Moen Prust (? Leblanc ?) Arsmtrong
Nokelainen Gomez White
Geoffrion

Subban Gorges
Markov Volchenkov
Bouillon Emelin
Diaz Weber
St-Denis
Don't want Kaberle at any cost, Tedenby doesn't really fit a need either. I like Eller but he's a 3rd liner right now and we are giving up a #1 d-man and a top-6... You just made us a worse team by quite a bit.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
23 Years of Fail

What we need is a "Value of: Ryane Clowe and Douglas Murray" thread. There are much better trading partners than Montreal out there.

Last edited by Tkachuk4MVP: 07-13-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:28 PM
HockeyFan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
What we need is a "Value of: Ryane Clowe and Douglas Murray" thread. There are much better trading partners than Montreal out there.
I agree.

As it was already said previously, Montreal is in a rebuild/retool process IMO and to acquire those 2 players, the habs would have to part ways with young players like Eller/Leblanc and picks which does not make any sense.

HockeyFan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:28 PM
druncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate* View Post
No, the Habs aren't getting rid of Eller and his very solid upside and 2 years at a VERY cheap rate (and still RFA afterwards) for 2 guys who are UFA's after next season.

Bourque had an awful season last year...why would the Habs give up on him after that? His value is horrendous right now.
Quote:

Neat comment though
First off, Bourque isn't young, and is actually older than Clowe. Second, what would you give up for Clowe + Murray? If it's not a decent prospect that is running out of time to hit his top-6 ceiling and an older player that may have crashed through his floor, then who or what?

Quote:

What does this mean, "guys like him"? Everyone's game deteriorates when they get older. I understand that players with a physical edge tend to put more strain on their bodies, but it's not like Murray goes out and just crashes into people every shift. In a sense, it's good that he's not a quick skater as that would probably allow him to throw his weight around more. As it is, he has a fairly small sphere of influence, and anyone caught within it is in danger of getting hit. That's it. He is also someone that other players often won't go after because of his reputation. Guys like him that play smart, preserve their energy, and don't throw their weight around just because they can tend to have longer careers than you would think. As long as Murray can skate, he'll be a good defenseman.

Quote:
I classify impact players as top line (or unreal 2nd line guy) forwards or top pairing d-men (or a guy who can play 2nd minutes but get 40+ points).

Clowe is a solid 2nd line guy who provides a physical presence and can pot goals in bunches as well. But he's played on a very good offensive team, and is IMO not a top line player.

Doesn't mean he's not a solid player...but he's just not an impact player according to how I feel.

Murray isn't even close to an impact guy, it's debateable whether he's even a top 4 d-man moving forward.
Clowe might not be "top line" by your definition of impact, but he's still very valuable. 20 goals, 50-60 points, will drop the gloves...how many of those guys exist in the league? Or a better question, how many of those guys exist in the league that are available and have a cap hit under $4m?

As for Murray, you're right, it is entirely debatable whether he's a top-4 defenseman. But it's most likely a debate that you would lose. A healthy Murray is out there about 20 minutes a game, oftentimes against "top line" players. He doesn't put up many points but that's not a requirement for defensemen.

Both players bring a lot of value to a team that wants to win games.

druncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:12 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally94 View Post
I'm just curious to know what the Sharks would ask for those 2 players.
The Sharks would need top six speed and help on the PK.

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:18 PM
WantonAbandon

I'll tell you what

To Sharks

Bourque

and

Emelin

To Habs

Clowe

and

Murray

Old
07-13-2012, 04:20 PM
WantonAbandon

Due to the contracts of each player the deal I propose would be insane as of right now. So how about the Sharks through in Demers and a second.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Due to the contracts of each player the deal I propose would be insane as of right now. So how about the Sharks through in Demers and a second.
No way I'd throw in Demers and a 2nd.

Hatrick Marleau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:49 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Sharks have no use for Cody Franson. For the Sharks to entertain the thought of trading one or both of Clowe and Murray, I think Gunnarsson has to be involved. The forwards that the Leafs have are okay but nothing spectacular.
Pacioretty and Diaz or Weber from the Habs makes a lot of sense.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote