*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2012, 11:43 PM
CharlieGirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
As a community based club, how much cash do you burn to uphold a principle?
It's not just principle though. If they didn't respond to these allegations, they're technically in violation of OHL rules. In addition, what is the next kid they draft out of the US going to be looking for as his education package? You can bet the first number out of his "advisor's" mouth is $200K.

The numbers simply don't work, as far as I can tell. A first round NHL pick is likely a 2-year Ranger at the most, and if he's really that good, perhaps a 1-year Ranger or his NHL club hangs onto him (and we know what that's like!). No single player is going to be the reason for more playoff dates - I don't care who the player is. So the Rangers lose money on a deal for what reason?

Old
07-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Puck and Gavel

Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck and Gavel View Post
I think that guy is just wrong. I have to preface my answer by saying I know almost nothing about immigration law, but I still think the answer is pretty clear. Because no criminal liability attaches to something like this, I don't see any reason why Mr. Slovin would be prevented from entering Canada.
I spoke to the author of that article and he pointed me to his reasoning behind it. By the letter of the law... maybe he might be denied entry into Canada. Certainly it appears to be against the spirit of the law. Basically, there is a provision that states a traveler might be denied access into Canada if they are suspected of criminality. Also in Canada, defamatory libel is a crime. But the crime mentioned in connection with the suspicion of criminality is "importation of narcotics." I find it hard to believe that defamatory libel would be treated the same way as that. I'm actually reaching out to the Canada Border Services Agency to get clarification. I'll have more on it on my blog tomorrow.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:48 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck and Gavel View Post
I spoke to the author of that article and he pointed me to his reasoning behind it. By the letter of the law... maybe he might be denied entry into Canada. Certainly it appears to be against the spirit of the law. Basically, there is a provision that states a traveler might be denied access into Canada if they are suspected of criminality. Also in Canada, defamatory libel is a crime. But the crime mentioned in connection with the suspicion of criminality is "importation of narcotics." I find it hard to believe that defamatory libel would be treated the same way as that. I'm actually reaching out to the Canada Border Services Agency to get clarification. I'll have more on it on my blog tomorrow.
Thanks for the updates, really appreciate the insight/information you bring.

One would think that CBSA would not enforce this due to the severity (lack of) and allow entry. But if there is business dealings he would like to do in the future, one would think that would be a consideration. I would also have to think that U of M has Canadian alumni living in Canada that read the Daily, wonder how that would work out in the long run. If they were subscribers (I assume the Daily print is not free) would that not constitute business in Canada?

On a side note, I wonder how Jacob feels about all this. From what I understand he was wanting to go to Michigan for a long time now, so he probably just lets it roll off his back. Pending on how this goes and if it was me, I might be tempted to go someone else other than Michigan and Kitchener just to get away from it. Maybe North Dakota if they had a good kinesiology program. But thats just me, dont like conflict too much.

Last edited by BenchedGuy: 07-13-2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: added last paragraph
Old
07-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Tigers1992

I do feel bad for the writer.

If he is indeed innocent of the charges, and they choose not to defend themselves in Canada, the defult judgement would limit his ability to have any income in Canada. He could not contribute for a Canadian paper, of be featured on Canadian news for a fee.

He could, but all his work and income would go to the default judgement.

Pretty tough pill for a student to swallow in an industry that it hard to crack.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
I do feel bad for the writer.

If he is indeed innocent of the charges, and they choose not to defend themselves in Canada, the defult judgement would limit his ability to have any income in Canada. He could not contribute for a Canadian paper, of be featured on Canadian news for a fee.

He could, but all his work and income would go to the default judgement.

Pretty tough pill for a student to swallow in an industry that it hard to crack.
Seems to me one of the first rules for a journalist, albeit even a student is to verify one's sources. I'm not sure how much sympathy I would have if the sources were questionable AND he still ran with it.

Integrity is a cornerstone in that industry, for the good one's anyway.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Seems to me one of the first rules for a journalist, albeit even a student is to verify one's sources. I'm not sure how much sympathy I would have if the sources were questionable AND he still ran with it.

Integrity is a cornerstone in that industry, for the good one's anyway.
Fair point, however Im assuming that the journalist is innocent until proven guilty.

If he did everything he should have, and the school chooses to not to challange in Canadian court, thats a pretty hard blow for the student. Id be surprised that the school would do that to him, but Im not a lawyer, and really have no true knowledge of how the system works.

Old
07-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Puck and Gavel

I've posted some updates on my blog that explain the happenings since. If interested, check it out.

Old
07-14-2012, 09:57 PM
JSavoire

What's going on with the D situation? I know there was much banter about Gilbert being moved but to where and what's needed in return?

Old
07-15-2012, 03:14 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavoire View Post
What's going on with the D situation? I know there was much banter about Gilbert being moved but to where and what's needed in return?
IMO Murphy will be back.
So....
Murphy - Iafrate
Fanelli - McEneny

Are the top 4.
Genovese/Young/Gilbert/Midensky/Eden all will be fighting for 3 spots.

That is how things are right now. But with at least 2OA spots I can see one of those being filled on D especially if Trouba is not going to report (dont see Spott using an OA spot on D if Trouba reports).

With us as buyers I can see a package using some of the D depth to bring in another big name (Puempel already). So I could see something like Gilbert/Ming and picks for a name to come in.

Old
07-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Phatpat88

Oa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
IMO Murphy will be back.
So....
Murphy - Iafrate
Fanelli - McEneny

Are the top 4.

That is how things are right now. But with at least 2OA spots I can see one of those being filled on D especially if Trouba is not going to report (dont see Spott using an OA spot on D if Trouba reports).

With us as buyers I can see a package using some of the D depth to bring in another big name (Puempel already). So I could see something like Gilbert/Ming and picks for a name to come in.
Who are some of the top OA in the leauge that the rangers may be able to trade for

Old
07-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatpat88 View Post
Who are some of the top OA in the leauge that the Rangers may be able to trade for
Good question but one that can't be answered because the NHL CBA negotiations and a possible lock-out will create all kinds of havoc!

Old
07-16-2012, 08:05 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Who are some of the top OA in the leauge that the rangers may be able to trade for
As Ward said
Quote:
Good question but one that can't be answered because the NHL CBA negotiations and a possible lock-out will create all kinds of havoc!
But also have to look at AHL depth too to see who might not make their AHL club and be sent back. Also think that the OA spots probably will not be a big name. I just think that some of our depth on D and 3rd liners with potential can be packaged for a bigger named player.

Also for those interested, Puck and Gavel had it referenced in his blog. Here is the Fan590 interview with TMD legal council.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/on_demand/
Scroll down to Herschel Fink with Matt Brown

Old
07-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Phatpat88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
But who are some of the oa and when can they start trading again

Old
07-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Phatpat88

Does anyone have tickets to the rangers I sit 4 seats over from the rangers bench

Old
07-16-2012, 11:08 AM
BenchedGuy

Trading freeze lifts in August.

With OA's, they are eligible to play in the AHL. So it all depends who will stick with the AHL affiliated with the NHL club they are drafted by (Winnipeg sent back Sol and Melchiori last season after not making the Jets or IceCaps). With the possibility of an NHL work stoppage with the CBA expiring means more of the younger NHL player or in between players may play for their AHL teams. Too many questions in the air to accurately speculate which players are sent back to the OHL and which are trade bait.

Old
07-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Phatpat88

Quote:
Trading freeze lifts in August.

With OA's, they are eligible to play in the AHL. So it all depends who will stick with the AHL affiliated with the NHL club they are drafted by (Winnipeg sent back Sol and Melchiori last season after not making the Jets or IceCaps). With the possibility of an NHL work stoppage with the CBA expiring means more of the younger NHL player or in between players may play for their AHL teams. Too many questions in the air to accurately speculate which players are sent back to the OHL and which are trade bait.
Ok thanks I would love to see some trades go down

Old
07-16-2012, 11:08 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
IMO Murphy will be back.
So....
Murphy - Iafrate
Fanelli - McEneny

Are the top 4.

Spott's a big fan of Midensky so he's staying put and Gilbert's is out and about on the trading wire but there's another kid who's name will go unmentioned at the moment as I'm not sure they would want to hear it on here (i.e. I think they would be in a little bit of shock let's just say).

Old
07-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Phatpat88

Tanner Pearson
Ryan O'Connor
Joseph Cramarossa
Nick Czinder
Michael Kantor
Michael Sgarbossa
Nathan Chiarlitti
Brandon Saad
John McFarland
Matt Petgrave
Geoffrey Schemitsch
Freddie Hamilton
Steven Shipley
Jamie Oleksiak
Brock Beukeboom
Austin Levi
Austin Watson
Greg McKegg
Jared Knight
Jarred Tinordi

These are some of the top 92's

Old
07-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavoire View Post
Spott's a big fan of Midensky so he's staying put and Gilbert's is out and about on the trading wire but there's another kid who's name will go unmentioned at the moment as I'm not sure they would want to hear it on here (i.e. I think they would be in a little bit of shock let's just say).
But I want to hear it on here : )

Really though, I hope Midensky makes BIG strides this off-season. Otherwise, I'd much rather have Gilbert. Gilbert was a year younger but still showed more hockey sense and poise by a fair margin. To me, Midensky stood out like a sore thumb. He was lost out there. I know he has size, skating ability and puck-handling skills, but damn... he needs a lot of work.

Old
07-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Tanner Pearson
Ryan O'Connor
Joseph Cramarossa
Nick Czinder
Michael Kantor
Michael Sgarbossa
Nathan Chiarlitti
Brandon Saad
John McFarland
Matt Petgrave
Geoffrey Schemitsch
Freddie Hamilton
Steven Shipley
Jamie Oleksiak
Brock Beukeboom
Austin Levi
Austin Watson
Greg McKegg
Jared Knight
Jarred Tinordi
These are some of the top 92's
I bolded the ones who for sure won't be available as they're definitely AHL/NHL bound and a couple others who are locked in to their current teams. I'm sure some of the others are as well.

Old
07-17-2012, 08:31 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
But I want to hear it on here : )

Really though, I hope Midensky makes BIG strides this off-season. Otherwise, I'd much rather have Gilbert. Gilbert was a year younger but still showed more hockey sense and poise by a fair margin. To me, Midensky stood out like a sore thumb. He was lost out there. I know he has size, skating ability and puck-handling skills, but damn... he needs a lot of work.
I know what you're saying. But I don't have a problem with Midensky as the 6th/7th guy as long as he outplays one of Young/Genovese/Eden. Personally, I think that Young has gotten a bit of the wrong treatment here but I dont know all that goes on behind the scenes. I think that in the brief moments we have seen Jesse he outplayed Midensky and Genovese. Without seeing Eden play I have Young and Genovese as the 5th and 6th D the way things look now (without any other movement).

Old
07-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
I know what you're saying. But I don't have a problem with Midensky as the 6th/7th guy as long as he outplays one of Young/Genovese/Eden. Personally, I think that Young has gotten a bit of the wrong treatment here but I dont know all that goes on behind the scenes. I think that in the brief moments we have seen Jesse he outplayed Midensky and Genovese. Without seeing Eden play I have Young and Genovese as the 5th and 6th D the way things look now (without any other movement).
I agree with you on that. Of that "bubble" group, for me, Midensky is the only one who I'm not happy with.

Young has not been treated well considering he has been solid enough whenever he has been given ice. Genovese is not fast and makes some gaffes, but is a fairly solid stay-at-home guy with big time toughness. And in the limited amounts I've seen Eden, he appears to be a lot like Young, but with a bit more offensive flair.

May the best man win the role, but in order, I'd have to say it's:
Genovese, Young, Gilbert, Eden, Midensky at the moment.

Old
07-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
I agree with you on that. Of that "bubble" group, for me, Midensky is the only one who I'm not happy with.

Young has not been treated well considering he has been solid enough whenever he has been given ice. Genovese is not fast and makes some gaffes, but is a fairly solid stay-at-home guy with big time toughness. And in the limited amounts I've seen Eden, he appears to be a lot like Young, but with a bit more offensive flair.

May the best man win the role, but in order, I'd have to say it's:
Genovese, Young, Gilbert, Eden, Midensky at the moment.
Of the 8 or 9 d-men with the Rangers I would have Midensky at the bottom of depth charts.
Count me in as a fan of Young (well as much as one can be with his limited playing time). I suspect with more icetime he could top out as a good number 5 d-man.
Getting rid of Gilbert in favour of Midensky would be a huge mistake!!
I'm not entirely sold on Genovese, he seems to be very anxious on the ice and makes bone-headed plays to prove his toughness.

Mitch Eden....did I miss something and he's signed?
I was impressed with him at rookie camp but thats a very small sample size against 16 year olds.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:10 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Of the 8 or 9 d-men with the Rangers I would have Midensky at the bottom of depth charts.
Count me in as a fan of Young (well as much as one can be with his limited playing time). I suspect with more icetime he could top out as a good number 5 d-man.
Getting rid of Gilbert in favour of Midensky would be a huge mistake!!
I'm not entirely sold on Genovese, he seems to be very anxious on the ice and makes bone-headed plays to prove his toughness.

Mitch Eden....did I miss something and he's signed?
I was impressed with him at rookie camp but thats a very small sample size against 16 year olds.
Eden has not signed. I originally put him in that group because I feel he is of that calibre and one of the names that actually may come. Pending on the off season moves I see him as one the Rangers bring in (depending on what Education package he is asking for).

Old
07-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Eden has not signed. I originally put him in that group because I feel he is of that calibre and one of the names that actually may come. Pending on the off season moves I see him as one the Rangers bring in (depending on what Education package he is asking for).
First off, I'm with you 100% Ward on that assessment.

Second, on Eden, from what I understand it's a case of both parties realizing the situation. The team had a good look at him at development camp but also has a few wild cards to sort out (Murphy, Trouba, etc.) and at this point, Eden is at best a bottom pairing guy on the team. So for both parties, it doesn't make sense for them to commit to each other until the clouds clear a bit. He will likely be at camp trying to earn that 5/6 role and looking for a commitment from the team if he clearly outplays the others.

Closed Thread