HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

McIlrath - Surgery for Dislocated Kneecap

Old
07-13-2012, 04:03 AM
egelband

vCash: 500
i really hope dylan can play for the parent club this year. not due to other people getting injured, of course. i think he can be a real difference-maker. a guy like that would be great on the rangers. here's hoping.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:24 AM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Sneezes? He dislocated a kneecap. Hardly a sneeze.

Hard decisions? Like when Gordie Clark took Kudroc, Mezei and Rupp all similar projects that he never learned from. The biggest problem with management I've ever had and always will point out when they are guilty is making the same mistakes that got them in trouble in the past.

Also Bob, you spent time in management and I hold you in high regard around here, but your most obvious fault is constantly defending management cause you've 'been there'. I respect that fact immensely, but you let personal feelings get in the way of usually very unbiased opinions.

At least you are not as bad as the others : "He'll be fine, its only July, he wasnt making the team anyway, we knew he'd take a longtime anyway, he has the best team of physicians working for him, he'll be ready for a midseason callup" crowd who would never say these things if it were Christian Thomas ! But McI being the absolute certain Beukeboom in waiting gets a pass. Nothing near negative just 'oh well, he'll be fine, he's the undertaker'.

Not even one camp in entering his first full Pro season and he goes down with an unusual injury, one that was attained after a pro-active action on McI's part. He wasn't just standing there stationary. He went out and played his game against amateurs and he was hurt.

What happens now? Total health throughout his pro career? I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks he'll avoid injury, injuries happen to almost everyone, Dmen especially. But I look at the size, the decision making and I think Brendan Witt. A guy way more comparable in terms of recent Dmen. He was tough as hell and was a solid scrapper. Played one full season in his 14 year career, only played 5 seasons where he missed 15 games or less.

Maybe this injury is just a fluke and he stays healthy. Certainly possible. I've seen this type of player before, on my own teams in my amateur days. Great devastating hitters but can't healthy cause the way they play is reckless in regards to even their own safety.
Woah, overeaction much?

The guy has played over 70 games each of the last 3 years including handfuls of playoff games. This talk about how he could be so injury prone, and how we shouldnt write it off is very pre mature.

LordsCup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:36 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKL889 View Post
Woah, overeaction much?

The guy has played over 70 games each of the last 3 years including handfuls of playoff games. This talk about how he could be so injury prone, and how we shouldnt write it off is very pre mature.
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/0...+%28Blog%29%29

Quote:
There’s a distinct possibility that McIlrath’s x-ray showed something that wasn’t going to fix itself, like a bone fragment in the joint. If that were the case, it would be an arthroscopic fix (tiny cameras stuffed into the knee through tiny incisions), with about a four to six week recovery. The fact that the Rangers aren’t floating a timeline for his return is either the Rangers being the Rangers, or a hint that he had more than just a simple arthroscopic joint cleanout – something like a tendon or ligament repair, or a fractured patella.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:42 AM
LordsCup*

Quote:
So because of some speculative article we should start thinking hes another witt that will frequently miss 20 games a season with injuires?

Old
07-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
So because of some speculative article we should start thinking hes another witt that will frequently miss 20 games a season with injuires?
You said I overreacted to a minor injury, I just offered a different perspective.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:24 AM
LordsCup*

Quote:
You said I overreacted to a minor injury, I just offered a different perspective.
Fair enough, but i think it was just one extreme to another. I agree it shouldnt be brushed off as absolutely nothing like he got a papercut or something, but i also think its far too soon to think it of him as a future walking injury his whole career too.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Fair enough, but i think it was just one extreme to another. I agree it shouldnt be brushed off as absolutely nothing like he got a papercut or something, but i also think its far too soon to think it of him as a future walking injury his whole career too.
I don't think of him that way, I said his style reminds me of Witt, a guy who couldn't stay healthy, there's a difference.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:55 AM
LordsCup*

Quote:
I don't think of him that way, I said his style reminds me of Witt, a guy who couldn't stay healthy, there's a difference.
Gotcha, well hes still got a lot to learn. Learning to not be as wreckless with his body out there to prevent injuries will have to be addressed and improved.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Gotcha, well hes still got a lot to learn. Learning to not be as wreckless with his body out there to prevent injuries will have to be addressed and improved.
Thats what I hope Beuk and others can show him, gradually. It's gonna take time, in order to make him think like a Veteran he's gonna have to play and make mistakes along the way.

Thankfully he's out of Juniors, one more year there and he'd be toast.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:56 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Thats what I hope Beuk and others can show him, gradually. It's gonna take time, in order to make him think like a Veteran he's gonna have to play and make mistakes along the way.

Thankfully he's out of Juniors, one more year there and he'd be toast.
Big agree with that. This will be a very good year in terms of development for him playing in the ahl. Not to say he will dominate in the ahl, he wont, im sure there will be a lot of growing pains, but he will really get coached well and start to structure him into a really good physical dman.

Old
07-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Big agree with that. This will be a very good year in terms of development for him playing in the ahl. Not to say he will dominate in the ahl, he wont, im sure there will be a lot of growing pains, but he will really get coached well and start to structure him into a really good physical dman.
Absolutely fine with him not 'dominating', just give the effort like he has been known for. One of the things that stands out for me and is very positive sign is he wants to be part of making the team happen, not just be a wallflower or backstop along for the ride. He seems to have a good attitude and little ego when it comes to being part of his team. Its one thing to show up in that body and play, its another thing to say 'im all in, give me the lead and get behind me'.

Just like Girardi, who cares about who won or lost those games he played in the AHL, come out a bull who's ready to take on 20-30 a night and the rest is history.

Old
07-14-2012, 12:48 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I think it'll be funny if Beukeboom tells him him not to be reckless. He should teach him how to be reckless and get away with it like he did.

I still see McIlrath as a Dave Manson or Gary Nylund type. Just an absolute terror to play against.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:56 AM
YoungD4

I think Dylan will be the perfect player on the Blue line for the Rangers.

He is the type of guy with all the Ranger D-men we have to fit it perfectly. a bomb of a shot and straight up nasty

YoungD4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:20 PM
Ziostilon

could this mean he'll get sent back to Moose Jaw

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:24 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
could this mean he'll get sent back to Moose Jaw
nope

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 02:11 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Finally an update on McIlrath. The Rangers treat injuries like they are matters of national security. The Rangers wouldn't give a timetable. I read a quote by Gernander about McIlrath and Gernander wouldn't give an update.

Quote:
The 2010 NHL 10th overall pick injured his knee during spring camp with the New York Rangers, but McIlrath says rehab has been going good so far, "That was a bit of a speed bump, but I've just been trying to recover and get my rehab going and just looking forward to whenever camp starts.

"I won't be ready (for camp), but around that time I'll get the go ahead to start skating, so I'm looking forward to it."

Dealing with the injury has been something new for the big defenceman. McIlrath says he feels he's become more mentally tough because of it, "No one wants to get injured, but when you do, you've just got to take it with a positive attitude and try to get back playing as soon as possible."
http://www.discovermoosejaw.com/inde...395&Itemid=651

McIlrath will begin skating in about 2 weeks. He had the surgery on July 6. 10 week recovery time. Even if Rangers camp doesn't start on the 21st,Dylan will be skating at the Whale camp which will start a few days later. The Whale seasons begins on October 12.

There is an audio clip with McIlrath on the bottom of the page.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 04:44 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

There's no pressure on Dylan to make the team this year. Just get healthy and start picking Beuk's brain.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 08:36 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
There's no pressure on Dylan to make the team this year. Just get healthy and start picking Beuk's brain.
Exactly. No reason to rush this kid along. We knew he was going to be a project from the start. Take time with him.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 09:19 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
Exactly. No reason to rush this kid along. We knew he was going to be a project from the start. Take time with him.
Although I'm optimistic, I agree we definitely don't rush him.

My question is, we hoped when we drafted this guy he'd turn into another Scott Stevens. I'm hoping these injuries are temporary and not enough to eliminate that lofty potential, even though that was not 100% to begin with.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post

My question is, we hoped when we drafted this guy he'd turn into another Scott Stevens. I'm hoping these injuries are temporary and not enough to eliminate that lofty potential, even though that was not 100% to begin with.
If you start throwing that type of name around, then you will be sorely disappointed... No one is realistically expecting a franchise defensemen. At this point, I think most of us would be very happy to have a big, physical, defensive, 2nd pairing defensemen with good character on our hands. I hope he reaches that potential.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 12:20 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
If you start throwing that type of name around, then you will be sorely disappointed... No one is realistically expecting a franchise defensemen. At this point, I think most of us would be very happy to have a big, physical, defensive, 2nd pairing defensemen with good character on our hands. I hope he reaches that potential.
Exactly.

If I remember correctly Sauer was projected to be a first rounder but his injury susceptibility dropped him to the second round.

McIlrath is safely Sauer+, hence the higher draft position.

Obviously not all 1st rounders are homerun picks, we all know why NYR picked him so high, and that other teams only a few spots lower had him on their radar as well.

Scott Stevens is a lofty goal, some even threw Weber's name out there a couple summers back. IMO Sauer with a bit more upside is a very reasonable expectation... Darian Hatcher or Vlad Konstintinov if we get lucky.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 12:30 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I don't recall McIrath ever being likened to Scott Stevens.

09-10-2012, 12:55 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't recall McIrath ever being likened to Scott Stevens.
When asked what justified taking this guy so high --- if I remember like 10th overall --- it was because the intangible was the intimidation factor.

How intimidating could he be ... ?

I thought I remember someone saying, best case scenario, could be another Scott Stevens.

That's why I was ok with this pick, assuming somewhere approaching that ballpark.

It's not clear to me how much these particular injuries will take away from that hope, if at all.

However, I agree it is a fair question to ask if that high a benchmark should ever have been linked to him in the first place....

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

If we could get our own Vladamir Konstantinov...

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 01:59 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post

That may have been your hope.

My hope was a similar defenceman to Jeff Beukeboom.

Scott Stevens is a pipe dream.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote