HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Finland Roster Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2012, 09:35 AM
RKC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
OJ would be an asset, true. But if Granlund can't centre a line, in my lineup you can also solve that problem by simply switching him and Flip around.

I don't get this. Okay, does it look as good on paper as those of our main competitors? No. But is it still very solid, elite-level squad? Yes. Can we afford any injuries to that particular seven though? No.
I like Filppula at wing, suits his playing style better than center IMO.

In theory it looks good enough, but there's a ton of question marks surrounding that group. 1,5 years is a long time for those older guys. Timonen will probably slow down a bit, but should still be a leader in that group. It's Salo who has me really worried. Not necessarily the fastest guy around to start with, and he has already lost a step during past few years and at 38 year old is not getting any younger. Injuries aren't helping either.

Vatanen is not a sure thing either. Great prospect, but can we count on him being able to play his game effectively at the Olympic level so soon? Väänänen has spent some time in the NHL, but how will he handle the NHL opponents after all those years in Europe and SM-liiga?

Timonen, Pitkänen and Lydman are dependable, and it's extremely important that these guys are injury-free and fit, because they are going to play a lot in this tournament.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:24 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
I like Filppula at wing, suits his playing style better than center IMO.
He appears to have widened his repertoire a bit more in Red Wings lately, but on bigger ice NT duty thus far he's clearly adopted a straight pass-first playmaker role, even when on wing. At times even frustratingly so. Since OJ is not coming back, I'd still rather have him or Granlund anchor down the 2nd line rather than one of Immonen or Kontiola.

Quote:
It's Salo who has me really worried. Not necessarily the fastest guy around to start with, and he has already lost a step during past few years and at 38 year old is not getting any younger. Injuries aren't helping either.
This I can agree with. Before his new contract, I was almost certain his NT days are over. Now, I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt and have him in contention again, though I'm still not holding my breath.

Quote:
Vatanen is not a sure thing either. Great prospect, but can we count on him being able to play his game effectively at the Olympic level so soon?
If a career top prospect defenseman who's nearly 23 years old by then can't handle it, he should have showed signs of never being anything more than a SM-liiga regular by now. He'll do fine.

Quote:
Väänänen has spent some time in the NHL, but how will he handle the NHL opponents after all those years in Europe and SM-liiga?
Err... in the way he's handled his top-level opponents in the past two WHC tournaments? In other words, with no trouble whatsoever at all.

Quote:
Timonen, Pitkänen and Lydman are dependable, and it's extremely important that these guys are injury-free and fit, because they are going to play a lot in this tournament.
The load they can place on Salo is questionable and Järvinen (or whoever gets the final DD slot) needs to bring his A-game every night, but I still see five out of seven D-men who're highly reliable and will prove their mettle versus elite-level opposition just fine, and even the remaining two won't be pushovers. It's still probably nothing most of us would prefer obviously, but with solid teamplay, more than passable.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:53 AM
ElHefe

Finland will not have an incredible team in Sochi's Olympics 2014 but has it ever had? Not really. Our team will be decent and it will contain some extremely great prospects and HQ players from NHL. Still I see Finland being able to compete with other big hockey nations truly with the material in 2018 Korea's OGs.

Here's my team:

Rask/Rinne/Lehtonen

Pitkänen-Vatanen
Timonen-Lydman
Salo/Niskala-Järvinen
Väänänen/Määttä

T.Ruutu-M.Koivu-Filppula
J.Jokinen/Leino-Granlund-Armia/Teräväinen
Bergenheim-Kontiola-Hartikainen
Joensuu-Nokelainen-Komarov

Old
07-13-2012, 12:08 PM
RKC

Quote:
He appears to have widened his repertoire a bit more in Red Wings lately, but on bigger ice NT duty thus far he's clearly adopted a straight pass-first playmaker role, even when on wing. At times even frustratingly so. Since OJ is not coming back, I'd still rather have him or Granlund anchor down the 2nd line rather than one of Immonen or Kontiola.
Agreed. I don't want neither of those guys centering our 2nd line, that's for sure.

Quote:
Err... in the way he's handled his top-level opponents in the past two WHC tournaments? In other words, with no trouble whatsoever at all.
He has done well in the WC, but Olympics is still a whole different level of competition than WC. Stakes don't get any higher than this in international hockey. I hope he can fill in his spot, but we'll see.

Old
07-13-2012, 01:16 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElHefe View Post
Still I see Finland being able to compete with other big hockey nations truly with the material in 2018 Korea's OGs.
I already fully expect that to be the best team on paper we've ever iced, bar perhaps 2004 WCup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElHefe View Post
T.Ruutu-M.Koivu-Filppula
J.Jokinen/Leino-Granlund-Armia/Teräväinen
Bergenheim-Kontiola-Hartikainen
Joensuu-Nokelainen-Komarov
Looks nice, 'cept you snubbed Korpikoski, who is IMO the best of our utility forward types ATM. Easily overtakes at least Hartikainen and Joensuu.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:32 PM
ElHefe

Quote:
I already fully expect that to be the best team on paper we've ever iced, bar perhaps 2004 WCup.

Looks nice, 'cept you snubbed Korpikoski, who is IMO the best of our utility forward types ATM. Easily overtakes at least Hartikainen and Joensuu.
I knew I would forget someone. Korpikoski is an ideal third line winger. I would drop Bergenheim to the bottom 3 line after Korpikoski added on the third.

Old
07-20-2012, 04:18 AM
rocket1990

no love for barkov and ristolainen? i dont know too much about finnish hockey but from what i hear barkov is gonna be the face of finnish hockey for years..

Old
07-20-2012, 07:26 AM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1990 View Post
no love for barkov and ristolainen? i dont know too much about finnish hockey but from what i hear barkov is gonna be the face of finnish hockey for years..
Barkov will be 18 years old by the time of olympics. While there may have been 18 year olds playing in the olympics, I don't see Barkov making the team that propable. Barkov gets his love for sure if when the discussion is about the 2018 olympics.

As for Ristolainen, he would propably have to be the first D to play in the Olympics that young. While he is the best D prospect along with Vatanen for Finland, Ristolainen won't make it in all likelyhood.

Old
07-20-2012, 08:12 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
Barkov will be 18 years old by the time of olympics. While there may have been 18 year olds playing in the olympics, I don't see Barkov making the team that propable. Barkov gets his love for sure if when the discussion is about the 2018 olympics.

As for Ristolainen, he would propably have to be the first D to play in the Olympics that young. While he is the best D prospect along with Vatanen for Finland, Ristolainen won't make it in all likelyhood.
I agree with you but i would like the idea him at Sochi olympics in his 2nd home country. If he rapidly developes so why not? Barkov can be slotted in top 6 in offensive role or bottom 6 for defensive role. All depends how he developes.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:28 AM
rocket1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post

i think he will be 19? anywho, koivu and granlund will be 1,2 so i agree. but if this kid really puts up a strong year and challenges mackinnon.. i bet he will make it..

Old
07-20-2012, 12:15 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1990 View Post
i dont know too much about finnish hockey but from what i hear barkov is gonna be the face of finnish hockey for years..
I just don't see what he can do in the next ten years to take that from Granlund in the same period

Old
07-20-2012, 01:12 PM
rocket1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
I just don't see what he can do in the next ten years to take that from Granlund in the same period
i like granlund as well, i really do.

but imo in a few years, barkov>granlund>ristolainen

i am from canada though, only one ive seen play in person is granlund

Old
07-20-2012, 01:16 PM
RKC

Quote:
Granlund is overrated as hell. I would be disappointed if Barkov doesn't end up being at least as good as MG. He has potential to be much better NHL player.

Armia, Teräväinen and Ristolainen have potential to be better than Granlund too IMO.

Old
08-02-2012, 08:23 AM
espo*

That's what I think as well, the whole granlund thing among Finnish posters has gone way over the top.

I've watched him play many times now and while I agree he's a good player with a bright future I don't see anything over the top special about him at all. He'll be a good pro, maybe even a very good one but the way he's being talked about makes you think he's a lock for Art Ross and Hart trophies and I just don't see that in his future at all. Nothing in his game screams 'elite nhl player" at all, and by elite I mean Crosby, Malkin Ovechkin,Stamkos elite.Unless of course one gimmick goal in a big game(a gimmick play that every pro can pull off may I add) screams out "superstar to some fans.

I think the reason his game is being overrated by a lot of Finnish fans is that they had gone through such a long lull in talented offensive players who have the potential to become legitimate stars at the highest level that's it's caused them to over valuate the first guy that came along that does have the potential to be a high end world class offensive player.

But There is nothing so special in Granlunds game that make it a near impossibility that a guy such as Barkov or some other up and comers in Finlands system wouldn't be able to be his equal or better in the coming years.

Granlunds gonna be a darn good player and an important player on Finnish National teams for years but "special"......................I don't see it.

Last edited by espo*: 08-02-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old
08-19-2012, 03:30 AM
Hasa92

Forwards:

Jokinen - Koivu - Ruutu

Granlund - Immonen - Armia/ Pulkkinen/ Selänne

Korpikoski - Filppula - Leino

Komarov - O. Jokinen - Philström

Defence:

Pitkänen - Vatanen

Timonen - Salo

Lydman - Niskala

Goalies:

Rinne

Rask/ Vehanen

I hope that Pulkkinen & Armia are good enought to play and i also hope that Selänne still got it, assuming that Selänne still want's to play there even thought that after the last olympics he said that he ain't going to play for national team, but then again after 07 hes always played just "1 more year"...

Of course Pp is importnant

Granlund - Immonen - Selänne

Timonen - Salo

We already know Granlund - Immonen works also Selänne is great Pp player, not to forget Salo's hard slapshot.

Old
08-19-2012, 01:42 PM
InjuredChoker

I think Jokinen is done at national team.. wasn't too happy playing the fourth line in Vancouver.

Old
08-22-2012, 08:36 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Well, guys, it's official. Jalonen quits after this season. We don't have to speculate only with players, but with names behind the bench as well.

All-new coaching staff making their major tournament debut in the olympics... hard to say ATM whether I consider that a royal risk or a major opportunity. Most likely a bit of both.

Old
08-22-2012, 09:05 AM
mattihp

Hopefully Mr Summanen is welcomed back with open arms.. Not likely but one can hope...

Old
08-22-2012, 11:30 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Not likely but one can hope...
"Not likely" is a bit optimistic. More accurate expression would be "not a snowflake's chance in Hell".

My current shortlist:

1. Kai Suikkanen

There. Pretty much the only true-and-tried name available who isn't a downgrade from Jalonen. There are two others who are merited and suitable, Kari Jalonen and Kari Heikkilä, but both will be unavailable - at least to current knowledge. Of course, knowing the version of musical chairs they like to play over at the Wild East, that may change in quick order. But I find it a pretty bad practice to rely on that alone.

It's pretty grim, actually. If they can't nail Suikkanen, the pick goes into random potshots territory, and the formula of Kale combined with random potshots usually spells complete disaster (not that anyone will actually admit it).

Old
09-23-2012, 02:08 AM
Muuri

Looks like it will be The Nose.

Old
09-28-2012, 05:08 PM
gasp

Update:

Jussi Jokinen - Mikko Koivu - Tuomo Ruutu
Sami Vatanen - Kimmo Timonen

Mikael Granlund - Valtteri Filppula - Ville Leino
Joni Pitkänen - Toni Lydman

Lauri Korpikoski - Kontiola/Immonen - Armia/Barkov
Janne Niskala - Ossi Väänänen

Leo Komarov - Petteri Nokelainen - Sean Bergenheim

Pekka Rinne
Kari Lehtonen

Old
09-28-2012, 11:10 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasp View Post
Update:

Jussi Jokinen - Mikko Koivu - Tuomo Ruutu
Sami Vatanen - Kimmo Timonen

Mikael Granlund - Valtteri Filppula - Ville Leino
Joni Pitkänen - Toni Lydman

Lauri Korpikoski - Kontiola/Immonen - Armia/Barkov
Janne Niskala - Ossi Väänänen

Leo Komarov - Petteri Nokelainen - Sean Bergenheim

Pekka Rinne
Kari Lehtonen
God do we ever need some wingers and defensemen to break through if Leino could make it as well as Niskala and Väänänen, two years older...

Old
09-29-2012, 03:53 AM
QnebO

If the seasons continues as it has started, we can start to paint Barkov in the olympics. I hope he gets in world championships this year.

In some edition, Leino was in 2nd line. Armia and Barkov are allready in front of him.. Well, atleast Barkov is. If not both allready, very soon they are. I know that barkov is a center but still.. I dont want to see leino in.

What I would love to see:

Forward lines
V. Filppula - M. Koivu - J. Armia/Teräväinen (after making huge deboute season in NHL!)
Granlund - Barkov - Selänne
T. Ruutu - OJ - Korpikoski
Komarov - S. Koivu - Salomäki/Bergenheim

D pairings
Vatanen - Väänänen
Määttä - Pitkänen
Ristolainen - Timonen/lydman/salo/one of these vets should still play then

Goalies
+ Add our hottest two goalies to the tandem, this aint gonna be a problem I bet

Do we have any AAA clas D-prospects coming that I just forgot now? Take it easy boys

Last edited by QnebO: 09-29-2012 at 04:06 AM.
Old
09-30-2012, 05:27 AM
InjuredChoker

Personally, I don't think Ristolainen makes it. Dmen take longer to develop and he wouldn't be even 20 when Sochi rolls around. He's bound to make rookie mistakes.

Määttä is question mark but has better chance to make crack the team, imo.

I think OJ has said he's done with national team but maybe it will change with Jalonen leaving?

Old
09-30-2012, 07:55 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Personally, I don't think Ristolainen makes it. Dmen take longer to develop and he wouldn't be even 20 when Sochi rolls around. He's bound to make rookie mistakes.

Määttä is question mark but has better chance to make crack the team, imo.

I think OJ has said he's done with national team but maybe it will change with Jalonen leaving?
Agreed. But with the shortness of quality defensemen a quick breakthrough can make for some surprises.

Closed Thread