HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Now that we have Crosby for life, what about Malkin?

View Poll Results: Malkin ...........
Will sign with the Pens for the same $8.7 million for the 11 years remaining on Crosby’s salary 47 37.90%
Will sign with the Pens for the same $8.7 million for 5 years or less 10 8.06%
Will sign with the Pens for between $8.7 million and $9.5 million long term 34 27.42%
Will sign with the Pens for between $8.7 million and $9.5 million for 5 years or less 7 5.65%
Will sign with the Pens for more than $9.5 million long term 8 6.45%
Will sign with the Pens for more than $9.5 million for 5 years or less 2 1.61%
Will sign with the Pens for the max cap hit long term. 0 0%
Will sign with the Pens for the max cap hit for 5 years or less 0 0%
Will sign with the Flyers to troll us 4 3.23%
Malkin will go back to Russia for a billion Rubles a day 2 1.61%
Malkin will stop playing hockey to remake Conan the Barbarian with Alyonka 10 8.06%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-13-2012, 06:37 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

vCash: 500
Franchise player clause in the next CBA. Ie. Malkin signing for however much for however long. Rock and roll.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:16 AM
UnrealMachine

Do people not realize that Malkin actually loves playing here? Pittsburgh is a great city for Russians. Magnitogorsk actually hired city planners from Pittsburgh to help re-design their city some years back and modeled it after Pittsburgh. He'll end up signing a contract very similar to Crosby's. Possibly less term.

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Chukcha

What does unite Malkin, Semin and Datsyuk? They all are from provincial cities with difficult life in childhood. They all have poor parents who couldn't afford much. They are not golden capital boys like Ovechkin with famous parents. So they all are shy and introverted guys, still don't speak English fluently and have difficulties in media communication (compare them to Ovechkin who used to be a star from childhood). They all have difficulties with adaptation to new places and don't like to change the scenery. And money unlikely change them. There are few very good russian proverbs: "you can't earn all the money all over the world", "you shouldn't seek the good having the good" , and "a tomtit in the hand is better than a crane in the sky". They all three completely follow these proverbs. If Semin was happy in Washington he wouldn't move anywhere. If you offer slightly more money to happy Datsyuk (1.0-1.5M more) he rejects it and doesn't move out of Detroit. And so Malkin. He has had a very hard adaptation. Fortunately there was Gonch in a locker room, and Sid had spent several hours per day talking to him. Sid became one of his best buds and now he feels very comfortable in Pittsburgh. All the media attention has been paid to Sid and that makes him relaxed and allows to do his best. He doesn't strive to become a celebrity. He knows hockey fans all around the world do appreciate him truly and that's enough for him. He is a very honest guy and won't demand more money than Sid, and 99% will stay in Pittsburgh until the twilight of his NHL career.

Chukcha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:33 PM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukcha View Post
What does unite Malkin, Semin and Datsyuk? They all are from provincial cities with difficult life in childhood. They all have poor parents who couldn't afford much. They are not golden capital boys like Ovechkin with famous parents. So they all are shy and introverted guys, still don't speak English fluently and have difficulties in media communication (compare them to Ovechkin who used to be a star from childhood). They all have difficulties with adaptation to new places and don't like to change the scenery. And money unlikely change them. There are few very good russian proverbs: "you can't earn all the money all over the world", "you shouldn't seek the good having the good" , and "a tomtit in the hand is better than a crane in the sky". They all three completely follow these proverbs. If Semin was happy in Washington he wouldn't move anywhere. If you offer slightly more money to happy Datsyuk (1.0-1.5M more) he rejects it and doesn't move out of Detroit. And so Malkin. He has had a very hard adaptation. Fortunately there was Gonch in a locker room, and Sid had spent several hours per day talking to him. Sid became one of his best buds and now he feels very comfortable in Pittsburgh. All the media attention has been paid to Sid and that makes him relaxed and allows to do his best. He doesn't strive to become a celebrity. He knows hockey fans all around the world do appreciate him truly and that's enough for him. He is a very honest guy and won't demand more money than Sid, and 99% will stay in Pittsburgh until the twilight of his NHL career.
Great post right here. ^

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 05:56 PM
sf expat71

Well judging by the initial offer from the NHL regarding the new CBA, I'm fairly convinced Malkin will not get an identical offer to Crosby. Even with the PA fighting tooth and nail, I doubt a contract like his will be legal this time next year. Although I'm almost certain he will re-sign here until he retires, it may now be a slew of shorter term contracts. Which is too bad, because if Malkin were offered the same exact contract as Crosby, I'm guessing he would've signed in a heartbeat and we wouldn't have to hear all that junk from other fanbases and Rossi about how we need to trade him because he will bolt first chance he gets. Ad nauseum...

sf expat71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Ominous Grey

I think 8.7M for 5 or 6 years. I don't think the CBA will allow contracts (much) beyond that.

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Prattio

I think genos gonna wanna play the twilight years of his career in russia. 35+ he will go to KHL until then I hope he never leaves.

Prattio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:50 AM
tomf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Higher cap-hit (between 8.7 and 9.5) but single-digit years > 5.

7 years, 63M, for instance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Same as Crosby per year (or close to it ~ $1M difference if there is one) and as long a term as the NHL allows, which will be shorter than Crosby's deal. IOW I think Malkin's next deal will be up before Sid's even if it's "maximum term".
Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer72 View Post
Malkin will sign an extension next year and get slightly more money than Sid, which should be understandable since, unlike Sid, he gets barely any money on the side. I see him spending majority of his career here in Pittsburgh and then possibly going back and closing out in Magnitogorsk. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if he buys his old team in the meantime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
I think 8.7M for 5 or 6 years. I don't think the CBA will allow contracts (much) beyond that.
Have one question. Crosby will make 57.8M in first 5 years of his new contract (or 67.8 in 6, 76.8 in 7, 86.4 in 8). That's basicaly 11M+ caphit. What does make you think that Malkin will take significantly less than Crosby (those 8.7-9.5 cap hits with less than 10 years)?

tomf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomf View Post
Have one question. Crosby will make 57.8M in first 5 years of his new contract (or 67.8 in 6, 76.8 in 7, 86.4 in 8). That's basicaly 11M+ caphit. What does make you think that Malkin will take significantly less than Crosby (those 8.7-9.5 cap hits with less than 10 years)?
That's why I think he'll end up with a bit higher of a cap hit than Crosby if they limit contract length in the CBA.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:46 AM
WhatsaMaatta

Quote:
11 is going to be his average salary over the course of those 5 years, not his cap hit.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeYOrpik View Post
11 is going to be his average salary over the course of those 5 years, not his cap hit.
right, but its not out of the question that Malkin would want to be PAID as well as Crosby, not just take his cap hit. As good a kid as he is, he isn't dumb. I would completely understand him wanting a deal that gives a higher cap hit assuming he can't get the long term security that Sid got.

"Sidkov get 11M first five year, Geno only can sign for 5 year, I get more than 8.7 per. I already told media."

Old
07-16-2012, 11:00 AM
WhatsaMaatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
right, but its not out of the question that Malkin would want to be PAID as well as Crosby, not just take his cap hit. As good a kid as he is, he isn't dumb. I would completely understand him wanting a deal that gives a higher cap hit assuming he can't get the long term security that Sid got.

"Sidkov get 11M first five year, Geno only can sign for 5 year, I get more than 8.7 per. I already told media."
Signing for 11 per would be great for Geno, but it would also significantly handcuff the team in terms of cap space when the cap goes down, albeit temporarily. Im sure he'll be well aware of that. . . This might be OT, too, but I don't see a max term length of 5 years being laid down on the new CBA. The owners look a little ridiculous for suggesting that after the lengths they've gone to lock players up long term.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Signing for 11 per would be great for Geno, but it would also significantly handcuff the team in terms of cap space when the cap goes down, albeit temporarily. Im sure he'll be well aware of that. . . This might be OT, too, but I don't see a max term length of 5 years being laid down on the new CBA. The owners look a little ridiculous for suggesting that after the lengths they've gone to lock players up long term.
I agree with both points. I don't think he'd take the 11M. But 9.5M? That's very reasonable depending on the length. Which I bet will be about 7 years max. Then again, this is how I'd think. Geno is by all accounts a better human being than I am.

Old
07-16-2012, 04:11 PM
tomf

Quote:
I agree with both points. I don't think he'd take the 11M. But 9.5M? That's very reasonable depending on the length. Which I bet will be about 7 years max. Then again, this is how I'd think. Geno is by all accounts a better human being than I am.
7 years at 9.5M means that he would be 34 when it ends. Assuming you want to pay him the same money as Crosby that means 38M in next 5 years. Would you pay him that amount? What if he is shell of himself? Of course in 9 years when that question pops up it could be reasonable money.

Quote:
IF the cap goes down I don't see salaries and cap hits of current contracts unchanged.

tomf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
7 years at 9.5M means that he would be 34 when it ends. Assuming you want to pay him the same money as Crosby that means 38M in next 5 years. Would you pay him that amount? What if he is shell of himself? Of course in 9 years when that question pops up it could be reasonable money.
My main point is that if we can't offer him a "lifetime" contract because they aren't allowed anymore, his contract talks will probably go a bit differently than Sid's. If he wants a little more money to make up for the lack of long term security I wouldn't blame him. And with the way they are structured, he could potentially make less money than Sid over the next 7 years and still have a higher cap hit than Sid. If Geno is willing to stay at Sid's cap hit, he will be leaving money on the table for this contract. He would probably get it back on his next contract 7 years from now because he won't be dropping down to 3M like Sid's does, but that's a risky way to look at it for a guy who just had his knee rebuilt.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukcha View Post
Interesting stuff. Are you Russian?

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:26 PM
WhatsaMaatta

Quote:

IF the cap goes down I don't see salaries and cap hits of current contracts unchanged.
You can't just change a contract that was signed by all parties. . . Which is why such a thing wasn't even involved in the original proposal.

Old
07-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
You can't just change a contract that was signed by all parties. . . Which is why such a thing wasn't even involved in the original proposal.
across the board rollbacks are not out of the question or unheard of in these situations

Old
07-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
across the board rollbacks are not out of the question or unheard of in these situations
Yup. Players all are part of the union. And so by the union agreeing to a rollback, in effect each player has agreed to it. So they are enforcable.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote