HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Zemgus Girgensons signs 3-year ELC with Sabres

Old
07-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Hobey Baker

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
It's been a while since Jiri Novotny was brought over at 19yo to play in Rochester.

But, I think having Girgensons playing in the AHL at 18yo is rushing him.
AHL is so developmental that this makes sense. Paliotta probably leaving UVM as well after one of the Catamounts worst seasons in recent memory - perhaps ever...his body and mind seem ready to start the grooming under Rolston as opposed to a couple years of Sneddon. I'm not seeing the harm. CHL on standby but doubtful if it comes into play.

Hobey Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:54 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
He will be a Sabre, not an Amerk, to start the season.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

This means he will now be able to attend training camp and the Prospects Tournament in Traverse City correct?

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:57 AM
FearRipSimonick

Did anyone get down to the scrimmage yesterday? I heard he scored the highlight goal of the game. I also heard he was a force of nature during most of D-Camp. I wonder if that tipped the scales for all parties involved. I'm excited to see this guy play. If he's in Rochester I am definitely driving down there for a game or two.

I hope this means Grigorenko definitely goes to Quebec then. I think Girgensons can be productive and not stunt his growth because of his style and what appears to be mental fortitude beyond his years. Grigorenko on the other hand just had a brutal 2011-early 2012 and it seems skill guys are easier to break at this level mentally and physically because of the added expectation. Who knows though. Maybe they'll both be in blue and gold before the New Year. Wouldn't surprise me, especially if we don't get any more forwards via trade.

FearRipSimonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:58 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
This means he will now be able to attend training camp and the Prospects Tournament in Traverse City correct?
If it's held. If there's no CBA by August, the tourney will likely be cancelled. (even if it does get done by 9/15...logistically that would be cutting it too close).

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:59 AM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Seriously doubt that. He may not even be an Amerk. Just because he signs, doesn't mean he has to play.

For people against this move, how do you know the plan the Sabres have for him. What if they only plan on playing him around 50 games in the AHL this season?? The AHL is a developmental league for the players. I can see the Sabres picking situations directly tailored about him whether it hurts the team record or not. Just because he is playing in the AHL doesn't mean he has to be a full time AHLer. This is why we brought Rolston in. Be stupid not to use him.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:59 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearRipSimonick View Post
Did anyone get down to the scrimmage yesterday? I heard he scored the highlight goal of the game. I also heard he was a force of nature during most of D-Camp. I wonder if that tipped the scales for all parties involved. I'm excited to see this guy play. If he's in Rochester I am definitely driving down there for a game or two.

I hope this means Grigorenko definitely goes to Quebec then. I think Girgensons can be productive and not stunt his growth because of his style and what appears to be mental fortitude beyond his years. Grigorenko on the other hand just had a brutal 2011-early 2012 and it seems skill guys are easier to break at this level mentally and physically because of the added expectation. Who knows though. Maybe they'll both be in blue and gold before the New Year. Wouldn't surprise me, especially if we don't get any more forwards via trade.
Yes. He scored a beauty at the scrimmage and also another beauty in drills on Wednesday. Looked great. The camp definitely played a role here.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:00 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Staff had two full seasons at North Dakota after he was drafted, and 34 games in Rochester--in which he scored 44 pts. He was called up after his 21st birthday. Here, they're sending an 18 year-old to Rochester.

I'm not passing on the merits, I just don't think Girgensons' situation is analgous to Drew's.
Agree that they're not the same, at least not currently.

Some decent hockey minds that I respect think Stafford might have needed to stew in the AHL a little bit more before his final callup. Could be some truth to that, but that was a quick example of someone who could have been considered rushed, even if only at the last step.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:00 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

So do the Goose calls live on next year? Give a honk for the Goose? In this case Gus.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Well, I'm sticking with my stance that this is an unnecessary risk but if it's done it's done. I'm hopeful that Rolston and Cassidy's experience with the National Team pays off here.

Now, what number? Looks like he wore 23 with Dubuque and 22 with Latvia. 27?

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Dr. Zoidberg

"I've got a baaad feeling about this."

I'm thrilled he is a stud prospect, I am less thrilled that he is jumping from the USHL to pro.

Dr. Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearRipSimonick View Post

85 points in 59 games is a brutal 2011-early 2012?

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:05 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
So do the Goose calls live on next year? Give a honk for the Goose? In this case Gus.
Nah, his nickname is the Latvian Locomotive.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:06 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
AHL is so developmental that this makes sense. Paliotta probably leaving UVM as well after one of the Catamounts worst seasons in recent memory - perhaps ever...his body and mind seem ready to start the grooming under Rolston as opposed to a couple years of Sneddon. I'm not seeing the harm. CHL on standby but doubtful if it comes into play.
True

I'd still rather err on the side of slow cooking. But, it will be nice to get to see him in Roch this year if it does work out that way.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
Seriously doubt that. He may not even be an Amerk. Just because he signs, doesn't mean he has to play.

For people against this move, how do you know the plan the Sabres have for him. What if they only plan on playing him around 50 games in the AHL this season?? The AHL is a developmental league for the players. I can see the Sabres picking situations directly tailored about him whether it hurts the team record or not. Just because he is playing in the AHL doesn't mean he has to be a full time AHLer. This is why we brought Rolston in. Be stupid not to use him.

Honestly, if that was the plan I'd like this even less.

I'm okay with maybe holding him out of a game in 3-in-3 situations (though it looks like they play 3-in-3s in the USHL). 3rd line center with regular PK time is the logical way to start him and hope he takes off from there.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:07 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Nah, his nickname is the Latvian Locomotive.
Thats a little harder for the crowd to chant. At some point we will hear Guuuuuuusss!

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:07 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Excited for him yet petrified that this could hurt him. Hopefully he starts as the 3rd line center and goes from there. I'm glad HB thinks it's the right move but I'm still shaky about it. Definitely will be paying close attention to him down there.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:11 PM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Honestly, if that was the plan I'd like this even less.

I'm okay with maybe holding him out of a game in 3-in-3 situations (though it looks like they play 3-in-3s in the USHL). 3rd line center with regular PK time is the logical way to start him and hope he takes off from there.
That would equal 50-60 by holding him out in those situations seeing they play so many of those. Honestly best case would be to throw him on a top line winger so he is playing with talent like Adam and Mancari. Throwing him on the 3rd line in the AHL would cause him to take that role for the foreseeable future. Let him strive for the top line.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I'd prefer that they err on the side of slow cooking him and Grigs.

There are more examples of guys who've had their development hurt by being rushed as opposed to guys who've had their development hurt by being slow cooked.
Taking the patient route with Zagrapan and Persson worked out well

Anyways this is great news, who knows he might even get a cup of coffee in the NHL at some point this year...now sign Grigs next!

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:13 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
It's not like this is the first 18 year old that is going pro. People need to calm down. This is a good thing.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
I won't discount this at all seeing how he appears to be a very hungry player. If he sticks great, but Roch is a pretty nice option for a player of his caliber.

Hobey Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
and Ennis will score 80+ points!

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:18 PM
BloFan4Life

So let me get this straight. His junior coach thinks this is good for him, Ruff thinks this is good for him, Regier obviously thinks this is good for him and Kris Baker thinks it is good for him, but there are people on here that think otherwise.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:19 PM
BalticWarrior

Im not feeling too great about this,i hoped they would slow cook him a bit,so he wont break under the pressure

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:19 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
From Girgs:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemgus Girgensons
STATEMENT FROM ZEMGUS GIRGENSONS
"I would like to thank Coach Sneddon and his staff for giving me the opportunity of a lifetime to play for UVM. This was a very difficult decision for me to say the least.

I always felt that the NCAA was the best way for me to develop on and off the ice. After attending the Buffalo Sabres camp, and learning their plans for me, I feel I am ready to begin my professional career.

I will always be thankful for what the coaching staff has done for me as well as the current players. I love UVM, the community, and the fans. I will always be a Cat, and will always cheer for UVM."

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote