HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Scott Gomez

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2012, 11:22 AM
  #76
dan1el
Registered User
 
dan1el's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,650
vCash: 500
I'd take him from Ottawa. We aren't likely to be at the cap ceiling for the next to years, then his contract is up. Gomez plus the highest of their three second round picks next year for Condra or something.

dan1el is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:47 AM
  #77
Kshahdoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 2,724
vCash: 500
Gomez + 2nd for nothing

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:49 AM
  #78
vokiel
Registered Settler
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,367
vCash: 500
How about Gomez + Calgary's 2nd for a 4th?

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:54 AM
  #79
RealityandHabs
Registered User
 
RealityandHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
Gomez to minors sounds about right. Eat that Contract......Glen Sather will always be on my list

RealityandHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:03 PM
  #80
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,793
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I wasn't offering leino anyways, just stating that right now leino has more value then Gomez. I think you actually missed the point of my post, which was to put up a model of what a deal would look like in the event that Gomez was traded, making a comparison to the deal that moved Ales Kotilik to Buffalo last year:

To Buffalo:
Robyn Regehr
Ales Kotilik
2nd Rd Pick (cgy)

To Calgary:
Butler
Byron


Pretty much the same sort of deal, in which you guys are getting a couple of project players for a player of some (not a TON) value, a pick, and a player of negative value. I think that is the only real way to move a bad contract these days....not by sending back another contract just as bad...otherwise what is the point of getting rid of him in the first place...or a trade for the sake of trades.


Again, I wasn't really making a proposal for him, just giving an example of what kind of deal you would see involving Gomez. Which is basically what the OP was asking for.
Thing is, I wouldn't see that deal being made from habs POV at all. I understand "that's what it would take" or whatever, but even then, I personally don't vlaue Leino a lot.

IMO, "what it would take" to dump goes is indeed a lot more simple than people think. He'll be sent to minors. Isn't that all it really takes? Fixing a problem with another problem doesn't solve anything really so I question why it's even in the discussion.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:29 PM
  #81
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,145
vCash: 500
At this point I think Montreal would dump him off for anything pretty much. Dumping him would be a luxury, not getting something in return.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:48 PM
  #82
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,793
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
At this point I think Montreal would dump him off for anything pretty much. Dumping him would be a luxury, not getting something in return.
Maybe re-entry.

A team would acquire him with 3.65 ish caphit but only pay 2.75 and 2.25 for his services. I think 2.5 per year average salary might be something someone considers. Free and relatively low salary considering recent signings.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:58 PM
  #83
vokiel
Registered Settler
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Maybe re-entry.

A team would acquire him with 3.65 ish caphit but only pay 2.75 and 2.25 for his services. I think 2.5 per year average salary might be something someone considers. Free and relatively low salary considering recent signings.
I think the cap hit on the team claiming on re-entry is full. I've read it somewhere, not too sure. They only *pay* half of his salary.

Edit: nope that is wrong.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:59 PM
  #84
HiddenInLight
Registered User
 
HiddenInLight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Thing is, I wouldn't see that deal being made from habs POV at all. I understand "that's what it would take" or whatever, but even then, I personally don't vlaue Leino a lot.

IMO, "what it would take" to dump goes is indeed a lot more simple than people think. He'll be sent to minors. Isn't that all it really takes? Fixing a problem with another problem doesn't solve anything really so I question why it's even in the discussion.
I don't understand why you keep bringing up Leino in response to my posts. I said I wouldn't trade Leino for him. The players I brought up were Finley and Pardy.....but again, it was comparing them to Chris Butler and Paul Byron, the players in the trade I was origionally referencing. Nowhere was Leino offered up in my post. I personally want the sabres to keep him for another year, and see if it is a similar situation in Buffalo as it was in Philly, where he didn't really contribute until his second season there.

HiddenInLight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:10 PM
  #85
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Maybe re-entry.

A team would acquire him with 3.65 ish caphit but only pay 2.75 and 2.25 for his services. I think 2.5 per year average salary might be something someone considers. Free and relatively low salary considering recent signings.
And the best part of doing that is Columbus or the Islanders are the 2nd and 3rd team to decide if they want him. From the circus to life with the clowns.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:15 PM
  #86
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User
 
Kevin8se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
I'd take him from Ottawa. We aren't likely to be at the cap ceiling for the next to years, then his contract is up. Gomez plus the highest of their three second round picks next year for Condra or something.
I hate Condra, so I'd be ok with this lol. Gomez could play 4th line.
Then again, I'm not the one paying the salary. If I was, I'd say no, lol.

Kevin8se7en is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 05:40 PM
  #87
Lemons
Registered User
 
Lemons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlin View Post
To Montreal:

McCormick 1,2/2yrs
Leino 4,5/4yrs

To Buffalo:

Gomez 7,357/2yrs
2nd rnd pick 2013



Maybe something like this? I still believe that Leino could turn it around though?! Only reason for Buffalo to do it is Leino has 4yrs left whereas Gomez has 2. Both bad contracts ofc. McCormick is in only for $$.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Montreal would still have to add IMO. Leino is on a bad contract, but still holds way more value then Gomez. The guy went an entire year (date wise not season) without scoring....I can't see any deal moving gomez getting too much value for him....


Maybe something along the lines of:

Gomez
2nd round pick
Bottom six winger/decent prospect


For

Finley
Pardy
I can't beleive what im reading

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:10 PM
  #88
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,608
vCash: 13357
Honestly, I foresee Gomez playing the remainder of his contract on the Habs. Unless the salary cap decreases exponentially, Montreal has no urgency to rid themselves of the albatross that has become Scott Gomez. It is debatable if the Habs are even a playoff team in the next two years and even if they are, the cap space is there to merely let Gomez rot, be it on the fourth line or collecting the team's Gatorade. Now if this were four or five years ago, Gomez's contract would be devastating. Today it is merely a nuisance we can fortunately ignore.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:23 PM
  #89
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
How about Gomez + Calgary's 2nd for a 4th?
This should be something like
Gomez + 2nd + conditional pick for a 4th

The conditional depends if Gomez meets some baseline goals/points.
Else there is too much risk for any team to take him given his hefty cap hit and he will probably me more dealable next year.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:10 PM
  #90
Kaibur
Registered User
 
Kaibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 500
What if moving Gomez made it possible to sign Semin? I guess I'm just surprised by Habs fans flippant attitude about wasting $10M of someone else's money. You really think ownership would prefer to pay that to someone to not play than move it and use that cash on someone who can help the team, either now or next offseason? The Habs were the worst in the East and I don't see what they've done to change that. Galchenyuk's got question marks - is he expected to step in this year and produce or play a full year of jr?
The Yotes are looking for a top 9 center and play the tight defensive system and have some speedy wingers. I think I just want Langkow back at this point, but not at the $4.5M he made last year and we're a long way from the capfloor. Lombardi's my 2nd choice, because he had his best season under Tippett and would only cost a late round pick with one year left on his contract. I could be talked into Gomez at half the price or if MTL threw in a solid prospect, but otherwise I'm not interested and I wonder how Montreal improves next season.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:37 PM
  #91
RemoAZ
Stugots
 
RemoAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Glendale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,345
vCash: 500
I've thought Gomez would wind up in Phoenix the last couple years. This year seems to make the most sense if we get the damn ownership situation finished.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:24 PM
  #92
Ashley
Registered User
 
Ashley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 408
vCash: 500
Habs just got a new management. They don't have to make the playoffs next season.

Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:55 PM
  #93
Drydenwasthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
This is a fair deal.
Komi>Gomez
Glach>Kadri
No, it is not remotely fair for the Habs. Komi would not make our top 7 and Galchenyuk looks to be the potential #1 center we have needed for two decades. You know what would be fair for the Habs? Gomez to the AHL. Heck, rather than lose Galchenyuk for garbage, we may as well keep Gomez in the NHL. I also don't think Komisarek is all that better than Gomez to be honest. At least Gomez has not scored half as many goals into his own net as he has into the opposition's nets!!

So, I reiterate with emphasis: NO IT IS NOT REMOTELY FAIR FOR MONTREAL!!!

Sorry for yelling, but I wanted to 100% clear. Wow, in what world do you live in where the Habs give you Galchenyuk to dump Gomez?????

Drydenwasthebest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:02 PM
  #94
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
What if moving Gomez made it possible to sign Semin? I guess I'm just surprised by Habs fans flippant attitude about wasting $10M of someone else's money. You really think ownership would prefer to pay that to someone to not play than move it and use that cash on someone who can help the team, either now or next offseason? The Habs were the worst in the East and I don't see what they've done to change that. Galchenyuk's got question marks - is he expected to step in this year and produce or play a full year of jr?
The Yotes are looking for a top 9 center and play the tight defensive system and have some speedy wingers. I think I just want Langkow back at this point, but not at the $4.5M he made last year and we're a long way from the capfloor. Lombardi's my 2nd choice, because he had his best season under Tippett and would only cost a late round pick with one year left on his contract. I could be talked into Gomez at half the price or if MTL threw in a solid prospect, but otherwise I'm not interested and I wonder how Montreal improves next season.
In actuality it is the Hab's fans money, we just choose to allow Molson et al to preside over the festivities. Ownership has a lot less freedom to do their own thing here than elsewhere, maybe not in fact but more in the necessity of keeping peace and order.

Of the options available, I would say giving up a solid prospect would be the least desirable and I doubt it would go over very well.

A usable salary dump would probably be the most desirable, then shipping him off to the AHL and then re-entry waivers. A lot of Hab fans think there wouldn't be interest in him at half the salary but I disagree and it might be the best way just to get him off the roster.

I don't want Semin and I don't see management wanting him either, they seem to want character and sandpaper, of which Semin is neither.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:44 PM
  #95
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
No, it is not remotely fair for the Habs. Komi would not make our top 7 and Galchenyuk looks to be the potential #1 center we have needed for two decades. You know what would be fair for the Habs? Gomez to the AHL. Heck, rather than lose Galchenyuk for garbage, we may as well keep Gomez in the NHL. I also don't think Komisarek is all that better than Gomez to be honest. At least Gomez has not scored half as many goals into his own net as he has into the opposition's nets!!

So, I reiterate with emphasis: NO IT IS NOT REMOTELY FAIR FOR MONTREAL!!!

Sorry for yelling, but I wanted to 100% clear. Wow, in what world do you live in where the Habs give you Galchenyuk to dump Gomez?????
The habs need to bribe other teams to take Gomez.
You know how I know - simple - because he hasn't been traded yet and some fans have been complaining for years about his contract. Sorry if truth hurts.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:11 AM
  #96
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
The habs need to bribe other teams to take Gomez.
You know how I know - simple - because he hasn't been traded yet and some fans have been complaining for years about his contract. Sorry if truth hurts.
Which is why Montreal won't trade him. They'd probably rather he just play his contract out, either in the AHL or NHL, than give up significant assets just to get rid of him.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:25 AM
  #97
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Im on board for Leino for Gomez

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:07 AM
  #98
Brian28
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
The habs need to bribe other teams to take Gomez.
You know how I know - simple - because he hasn't been traded yet and some fans have been complaining for years about his contract. Sorry if truth hurts.
No team is going to add a just drafted, 3rd overall, blue chip center prospect with 1st line potential just to move a contract. In particular if they have to take a bad contract back (face it Komi sucks).

Sorry if the truth hurts.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:23 PM
  #99
Kobe Armstrong
Registered User
 
Kobe Armstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 713
Boston Receives

PK Subban

Alex galchenyuk

Scott Gomez

Montreal Receives

Tyler Seguin

Dougie Hamilton


Kobe Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:51 PM
  #100
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
And the best part of doing that is Columbus or the Islanders are the 2nd and 3rd team to decide if they want him. From the circus to life with the clowns.
The clowns are expecting the cap ceiling and floor, to go down in the new cba.
No interest or need to pay Gomez $5m in actual salary.

The circus that gave up McDonagh for Gomez, can keep him,buy him out or bury him in the AHL.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-52-5-million/
The NHL’s Declaration of War presented to the Players’ Association in the guise of a first proposal on Friday would roll back the salary cap to approximately $52.5 million for 2012-13. The drop of nearly $10 million from last season would represent the lowest number since 2007-08, sources with knowledge of the league’s scheme have told Slap Shots.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.