HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Komisarek, bounce back year?

Old
07-12-2012, 08:41 AM
IBeL13f

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
All of a sudden its all Wilson fault. How did Gunners play so well under his system? Or will he a Norris winner now that Carlyle is coaching? He has to take some responsibility for his play.
It's not all of a sudden, people have been saying it from the get-go. Same thing with Schenn. But you're right, a lot of the problem is him as well, and that comes down to psychology still, I think. He's a tank, he's a health nut, he's a hard-worker, he's a good leader, and he seems to be an all-around great guy. I give him half the season to figure things out again under Carlyle before I'm saying Burke "should" move him out. If he rounds back into form, he will go from goat to fan favourite.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:47 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Attn. Komi supporters

I appreciate this thread.

Good on you to defend him like that.

I hope for your sake he proves everyone wrong.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
All of a sudden its all Wilson fault. How did Gunners play so well under his system? Or will he a Norris winner now that Carlyle is coaching? He has to take some responsibility for his play.
Gunner got top line minutes on the left side.It's about opportunity. A right handed shutdown guy behind Dion and Luke on the depth chart, coming off career threatening shoulder issues doesn't get that same opportunity.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:07 AM
TheSilencer

Highly doubt it. I don't see what coaching has to do with how Komisarek beautifully sets up opposing players for scoring chances.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilencer View Post
Highly doubt it. I don't see what coaching has to do with how Komisarek beautifully sets up opposing players for scoring chances.
Coaching determines opportunity. Opportunity determines confidence, chemistry, on ice rhythm.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:18 AM
tinfoilcup

The only place Komisarek will be bouncing back is into the press box.

tinfoilcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:05 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
We may see minimal improvements with a new(ish) coach, but his biggest flaw is low hockey IQ. That's not something we can really expect him to magically cure.
I don't necessarily think it's a question of hockey IQ, but more of an issue of constantly second guessing himself. His defensive instincts make him want to do one thing while the offensive minded coach is expecting completely different from him. I suspect it's not much different than the mind**** Gus went under with Allaire.

Beauchamin's resurgance after leaving the Wilson system would indicate that Carlyle's style caters much more to defensive defensemen than Wilson's did.

Time will tell.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:08 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Better than putting it in your own net, a'la Boyle, I guess.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:25 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
08-09 - 26yr old Komi starts losing ground and falls right back down to borderline top-4 status...the habs trade for Schneider to play ahead of him, and by the end of the year 24 year old physical defensive Gorges has passed him and plays more minutes than him in the playoffs.

1) Markov 78gms, 24:38
2) Hamrlik 81gms, 21:55
3) Schneider 23gms, 20:57
4) Komisarek 66gms, 20:37
5) Gorges 81gms, 20:08
6) Bouillon 54gms, 16:30
--------------------------
7) Brisebois 62gms, 15:54
8) O'Byrne 37gms, 15:06
Way to completely ignore GP in your arguement. Looks to me that Komi was #3D once again, and Schneider was an injury replacement.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:58 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Schneider was not an injury replacement, he was a trade deadline acquisition to get them a real #3 dman because Komi didn't fit the bill.

And Markov was only injured after Schneider was trade for.

and, again, Komi was passed by young Gorges on the depth chart by the end of the year as well.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:05 PM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Coaching determines opportunity. Opportunity determines confidence, chemistry, on ice rhythm.
Sure, i don't disagree with any of that. But, we do have depth in D, and we should give that opportunity to others (Franson,Holzer etc.) than to someone who has failed over and over whenever he was given the opportunity (Komisarek).

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Last year was supposed to be his bounce back year because he had a good pre-season.

And he was bad out of the gate. He's a hack.

Lobstertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:31 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Schneider was not an injury replacement, he was a trade deadline acquisition to get them a real #3 dman because Komi didn't fit the bill.

And Markov was only injured after Schneider was trade for.

and, again, Komi was passed by young Gorges on the depth chart by the end of the year as well.
Oh, that Schneider, man, time just flies. I totally forgot he ended up back in MTL for 20 games a season before retiring, he got bounced around so much.

Well, after arriving to the Habs Komi still remained on the second pairing, and from looking at the month by month TOIs, Gorges only got increased playtime when Markov went down.

Old
07-12-2012, 03:06 PM
zeke
#freewilly

only one season as anything more than a borderline top-4 dman, like I said.

Old
07-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Twix
Patch of velcro

Hopefully bounces right out of the organization.

Twix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
he is done'

please retire for a coaching job

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:34 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
only one season as anything more than a borderline top-4 dman, like I said.
And Schneider was a borderline #3, and Hamrlik was a borderline #2, I guess. The Habs only non-borderline defender was Markov, and that's only because of his 5+ PP mins every game, otherwise he would have been a borderline #1, as well.

That sound about right?

Old
07-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Sure, i don't disagree with any of that. But, we do have depth in D, and we should give that opportunity to others (Franson,Holzer etc.) than to someone who has failed over and over whenever he was given the opportunity (Komisarek).
He never really had opportunity, thats the point. He didn't stay healthy long enough to get a legit opportunity. He wasn't passing Dion or Schenn on the depth charts. He battled for 3rd pairing minutes all season, once again, and there comes a time when even the most focused, determined players realize its not going to happen for them. Under Wilson, he was spare parts. He isn't a great puck mover. He struggled to make the smart play, and every time he was on the ice it was an audition for the next shift. Had Wilson not been fired, they would have been forced to buy Mike out in my opinion. Under Carlyle,and with Schenn gone, its a chance to hit the reset, and challenge for a top 4 D gig. I like the idea of a Liles-Komi pairing, much more than Liles-Franson. He can be that rugged hard hitting counter point to 5'10" Liles and his offensive style.

I think the logjam this year will force Franson and Holzer to battle for minutes.

Old
07-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Leafan519

Yep he'll bounce right back into the pressbox where he belongs one week into the season.

Leafan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:22 PM
javier

It would be nice if Komisarek could find his game, but I think that ship has sailed. His play actually got worse under R.C., and his hockey sense is nowhere to be found, he doesn't know when to lay back, when to step up, when to block the shot, when to play the pass. Basically the only thing keeping him in the NHL is that contract.

javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:11 PM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test Domi View Post
I really think and hope Komisarek is going to bounce back this year. First year with Leafs had a major injury, second year or third year with Leafs was accused of hitting a girl and was just completely lost under Wilson.

He was #1 shutdown guy in Montreal, then came to the circus that is Toronto and flopped miserably, for whatever reasons.

I think playing systems under Carlysle will get him back to his old form, because that run-n-gun style of Wilson he was like a chicken with no head.

Anyone else rooting for him to succeed this time? Because if you saw him Montreal, you know what his potential is. He's always been a team first guy, hence his beatings from Lucic.
i hope youre right

but i suspect komi will have as much bounce back as a dead cat on the side of the road

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:29 PM
thecatch22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
And Schneider was a borderline #3, and Hamrlik was a borderline #2, I guess. The Habs only non-borderline defender was Markov, and that's only because of his 5+ PP mins every game, otherwise he would have been a borderline #1, as well.

That sound about right?
Markov is a number one when healthy. Criminally underrated because he hasn't played in so long. Fabulous player.

Edit - Rielly reminds me of him a little bit actually, great skater not overly physical but defensively adept with great offensive upside. Good comparison to what the kid can achieve I think.

thecatch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Crash Test Domi*

Quote:

That sound about right?
You are right pretty much, but as I stated Komi was their default, and #1 shut down guy, Hamrlik and Markov and whoever the **** were not shut down guys, Komi was. Perhaps I got his pairing wrong since the rotation changed so much based on, on the fly matchups and such. TOI is only a little bit relevant, but Komi was their shutdown guy.

Anyways...maybe if his contract wasn't so high we would cut him a little slack? Just a thought.

Crash Test Domi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:51 PM
TheOneArmedMan

Maybe the new skating coach will help him be faster? He is good physically, but lacks speed.

TheOneArmedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:58 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:

That sound about right?
no, Hamrlik was a solid #2/3 defender with full #2/3 minutes. Schneider was definitely just a borderline #3 at that point in his career, though.

Komi, on the other hand, was in a constant battle with other physical defneisve guys like Bouillon and Gorges just to hold on to his 4th spot....and probably only got more ice than them because of his draft status....and eventually lost the battle with the younger Gorges, who has gone to become a solid top-3 blueliner himself.