HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Ryan Suter Signs with Minnesota (13 years, $98 mil)

Old
07-11-2012, 01:45 PM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNState0fHockey View Post
To have rational discussion with fans of a team I respect a great deal. I apologize for disagreeing that my team is in jeopardy of moving again.
Rational discussion concerning Suter or the viability of our franchise in Nashville are not going to happen here for a few more weeks. While I appreciate your honesty about wanting to have a discussion about this, this fan base continually gets thrown loop after loop after loop every off season it seems. Losing Suter just a week ago is still very fresh to many of us so if our fan base is short or intolerant of wanting to have discussions at this point, you'll just have to take my word on it that it's probably not going to happen. Please come back in a few weeks when the dust has settled and hopefully we can all discuss this rationally. I don't think you're coming in here maliciously but we are just a little sensitive right now. Hope you understand and look forward to discussing this in the future.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:47 PM
MNState0fHockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Rational discussion concerning Suter or the viability of our franchise in Nashville are not going to happen here for a few more weeks. While I appreciate your honesty about wanting to have a discussion about this, this fan base continually gets thrown loop after loop after loop every off season it seems. Losing Suter just a week ago is still very fresh to many of us so if our fan base is short or intolerant of wanting to have discussions at this point, you'll just have to take my word on it that it's probably not going to happen. Please come back in a few weeks when the dust has settled and hopefully we can all discuss this rationally. I don't think you're coming in here maliciously but we are just a little sensitive right now. Hope you understand and look forward to discussing this in the future.
Point taken. Will do

MNState0fHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:17 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

I want to freakin' scream ....

We're pissed because we didn't trade him or his rights because he led us to believe that if we did A, B & C, he'd resign. We did A, B, & C and he walked based on a reason that was never conveyed nor under our control. If going home was an important aspect to his future decision, and he told Poile that, then DP would have at least had the option to get something in return. instead, Suter played it coy, maxed his value, and left us with less than nothing.

Stop with this "he's a UFA and owes us nothing". He became a valued UFA based on our development and support for him. We made him a cornerstone of our franchise. We consulted with him on big moves. Certainly he has the right to leave us, but not in a deceptive way. His deception left us with nothing. Why would Weber be so shocked? Why would a 30 year GM vet be so shocked? Because they heard from Suter first hand and believed him.

Just be honest and admit you did what you had to do to get what you wanted.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:52 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

We can talk about whether or not there is good reason to dislike Suter for what he did, and we can give our personal reasons for both. What we will not be doing anymore of is taking digs at different fan bases. Wild fans, like any other outside fans, need to remain respectful of the situation. Trying to drive it home that Suter left for good reasons may not be the best tactic right now. In fact, if it is causing a problem it starts to break the rules. We don't need people joining in arguments just because there is one. This isn't a neutral board where arguments like these are welcome. Discussion is fine, but if you notice you're causing a problem you need to end whatever it was that caused the problem rather than thinking you have every right to carry on your side of the argument. You don't.

And Preds fans, please refrain from attacking people directly. This is your forum, but we don't allow personal shots anywhere.

Thanks

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Legionnaire11

Guess what Wild fans... we too once thought that Leipold was backed by the Johnson money. Turns out to not be so, and in fact Helen gets a bit upset when she has to cover Craig's hockey bills. I'm sure he's running a better business up there, but SC Johnson is certainly not a security vault waiting to bail out the Wild if these contracts handcuff them.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:22 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNState0fHockey View Post
Financial problems? Hardly. They just dished out $198 million in contracts to two players. Our majority owner's wife runs SC Johnson (worth billions). I'm sorry, but buy a clue.

The NHL let an owner take a franchise out of Minnesota for all the wrong reasons once. They realized their mistake quickly and granted us a new team in less than 7 years. Won't happen EVER again.

And again, my comment wasn't meant as an insult. In fact, it wasn't my comment at all. They were Suter's words.

Fact of the matter is, you aren't a big hockey area outside of the NHL. Assuming Suter meant that he wants his kids to grow up in a hockey-strong community (there is no stronger one that MN in this country) where they have the best chance to play and succeed. There is no comparison between Nashville and Minnesota in this regard. None. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada.
I don't think the Wild will ever be moved, but I don't think Leipold will own them forever either. Also, like others have said, Helen, isn't going to bail him out, we found that out.

Leipold is a bad business man, he's never been successful, go look at the articles of how he ran off corporate support here and really pissed on the music industry leaders here. Ask people from his home town how well he treated them after buying his hometown factory.

Don't worry, his interest seems to last about 10 years then he's moving on to another failed attempt.

I've always respected the Wild until Liarpold took over, and now Benedict Suter has joined him.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Pattypred

I am unrationally upset with The One Who Is Dead To Me Now (the old 20), because he lied to me. Directly to me. I've spoken with him numerous times and when I asked him directly - HE LIED TO ME - not once but several times.

This confirms that he lied to Poile and the Predators. The fact that he was signed by Liarpold - makes it worse.

I do not want other teams' fans coming on here to tell me that I'm not allowed to be upset or to tell me I am not a hockey fan in a hockey market.

**snip**

Last edited by Pattypred: 07-12-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: removed so I could not get banned
Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:43 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypred View Post
I am unrationally upset with The One Who Is Dead To Me Now (the old 20), because he lied to me. Directly to me. I've spoken with him numerous times and when I asked him directly - HE LIED TO ME - not once but several times.

This confirms that he lied to Poile and the Predators. The fact that he was signed by Liarpold - makes it worse.

I do not want other teams' fans coming on here to tell me that I'm not allowed to be upset or to tell me I am not a hockey fan in a hockey market.

**snip**
times like these I really miss Swampy.... can you imagine the rant he would have unleashed in this thread??

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Honest question with no "troll" intent:

Wasn't Leipold instrumental in getting a franchise in Nashville in the first place? If it wasn't for him, would there be a franchise at all?
Yeah that's why I never truly can hate Leipold. Never have, never will. If he was truly only concerned about selling us, making money, and not the well-being of Nashville and it's fans we would no longer exist.

NBA fans, see the Seattle Supersonics/OKC Thunder scenario. Although not as deceiving as that whole ordeal, if Leipold didn't care about us we would be the Sonics right now. No team, no nothing. None of the last 5 awesome seasons would've happened.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:40 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Actually yes, someone else would have stepped up. The NHL was determined to put a team here and recruited Liarpold. If it wasn't him, it would have been someone else, maybe even someone better. And leipold only backed out when the BOG made it clear they would not approve Basilie as an owner.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:58 PM
ilikeblocks

The Devils almost moved to Nashville in '95, right? There's definitely a team in Nashville with or with Leopold.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
The Devils almost moved to Nashville in '95, right? There's definitely a team in Nashville with or with Leopold.
Right, plus what Trigg said. Liarpold wasn't a Nashville guy, but the league wanted to get into the Arena and what had proven to be a good minor league market. Bettman set up Liarpold with the Nashville Bid. So if not for Craig, it would likely have been someone else.

I think that Liarpold doing that favor for Bettman is a big reason that nobody made a big stink about they way he gutted the Preds before jetting off to buy another team.

Old
07-12-2012, 06:17 PM
JR303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Right, plus what Trigg said. Liarpold wasn't a Nashville guy, but the league wanted to get into the Arena and what had proven to be a good minor league market. Bettman set up Liarpold with the Nashville Bid. So if not for Craig, it would likely have been someone else.

I think that Liarpold doing that favor for Bettman is a big reason that nobody made a big stink about they way he gutted the Preds before jetting off to buy another team.
In the SAME CONFERENCE.

JR303 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
What was the deal with that? I was a hockey fan as a kid but I was only 10 when the Devils were "almost moving here". How close was that to happening and why didn't it? I remember hearing that it might happen but I wasn't old enough to follow it closely.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:20 PM
jlsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
What was the deal with that? I was a hockey fan as a kid but I was only 10 when the Devils were "almost moving here". How close was that to happening and why didn't it? I remember hearing that it might happen but I wasn't old enough to follow it closely.
they went on a cup run. Who would move a team after winning the cup.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:20 PM
ilikeblocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
they went on a cup run. Who would move a team after winning the cup.
It's Jersey. Ever been to Jersey?

Old
07-13-2012, 08:13 AM
jlsg

Quote:
It's Jersey. Ever been to Jersey?
Yes. Have you?

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:26 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Jersey gets a bad rap, but it really isn't that bad of a state. Most of the negativity comes from their history with organized crime, but that has died down quite a bit.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:29 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

so the crime is less organized now? Is that a good or a bad thing?

Old
07-13-2012, 11:33 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Legionnaire11

That's actually not too far off Adsfan!

NJ gets a bad rap from people who live in NYC and Philly, which obviously is a HUGE amount of people so it's easy for that bad reputation to stick. And in those adjacent areas (NYC-Newark and Philly-Camden) it's a pretty crappy place. everything else is nice, not a lot going on there. It's actually a very understated area for being one of the originals.

Old
07-13-2012, 01:59 PM
jroc86

Preds fans you can at least take solace in the fact that Suter will be playing with Tom Gilbert next year and IMO will probably only put up around 30 points - which is laughable with a 7.5 caphit. Without Weber as a partner he very well could turn out to be Wade Redden 2.0 ... A smart and skilled defenseman that isn't overly fast, physical, and has a shot that can't break eggs. Give Ellis his minutes and I bet his stats are in the same ballpark next season.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:05 PM
jstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc86 View Post
Preds fans you can at least take solace in the fact that Suter will be playing with Tom Gilbert next year and IMO will probably only put up around 30 points - which is laughable with a 7.5 caphit. Without Weber as a partner he very well could turn out to be Wade Redden 2.0 ... A smart and skilled defenseman that isn't overly fast, physical, and has a shot that can't break eggs. Give Ellis his minutes and I bet his stats are in the same ballpark next season.
I sure hope you are right. $tupid $uter.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:45 PM
ilikeblocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
I sure hope you are right. $tupid $uter.
A darn good point - this could be Redden 2.0.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:32 PM
PredDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc86 View Post
I agree with your assessment, but didn't Minny's coach Mike Yeo already announce $uter would be pairing up with defensive phenom Jared Spurgeon? LOL.

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote