HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Zemgus Girgensons signs 3-year ELC with Sabres

Old
07-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Crazy Tasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
I love how this board goes from people not even wanting him to turn pro, to people now wanting him to bypass the AHL and start with the Sabres.
In one day!

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:51 PM
CrankyJay

What happens if players bomb out of the NHL/AHL not having gone to college? Do players usually take classes on the side? Just curious, worst case scenario and all that.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:53 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
What happens if players bomb out of the NHL/AHL not having gone to college? Do players usually take classes on the side? Just curious, worst case scenario and all that.
Some players might go back to school. Many college players who leave early finish their degree with summer courses and/or online courses. Of course, they would not be NCAA eligible.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Grinder44

Imo, if NHL teams were regularly allowed to send 18 & 19 year-olds to the AHL, you'd see a lot more 18 & 19 year-olds doing their development in the AHL. If the same situation were available for Grigs (instead of only the NHL/CHL choice), I think there's a good chance he'd be ticketed to continue his development with the Sabres' organization in Rochester. Good luck, Zemgus! Wouldn't be shocked to see him play some games with the big club at some point this season.

Grinder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I don't think anyone thinks that.

I do, however think they have a better grasp of the situation than Random Internet Message Board Guy.
Maybe, but though we know a lot about Girgensons as a player and prospect, we don't know the whole story about how this decision was made.

Consider a scenario where Regier and Ruff have been told that a repeat of last year is unacceptable and will not be tolerated again. Knowing what the team lacks in terms of positional weakness and team makeup, they decide that fast-tracking Girgensons is part of the strategy to ensure a return to the playoffs and they get to keep their jobs. If they are legitimately under pressure this season, how much do they really care about what Zemgus turns into five years from now?

It's a hypothetical situation and I may just be completely making it up but it is at least worth mentioning that a decision to turn Girgensons pro may not have been with the best intentions for him in 2017, it may have been made hoping he can be fast-tracked to Buffalo this year because potentially, Regier and Ruff won't reap any reward from their selection of Girgensons.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:57 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Maybe, but though we know a lot about Girgensons as a player and prospect, we don't know the whole story about how this decision was made.

Consider a scenario where Regier and Ruff have been told that a repeat of last year is unacceptable and will not be tolerated again. Knowing what the team lacks in terms of positional weakness and team makeup, they decide that fast-tracking Girgensons is part of the strategy to ensure a return to the playoffs and they get to keep their jobs. If they are legitimately under pressure this season, how much do they really care about what Zemgus turns into five years from now?

It's a hypothetical situation and I may just be completely making it up but it is at least worth mentioning that a decision to turn Girgensons pro may not have been with the best intentions for him in 2017, it may have been made hoping he can be fast-tracked to Buffalo this year because potentially, Regier and Ruff won't reap any reward from their selection of Girgensons.
That's possible but his junior coach also agrees he's AHL ready.

sabrefan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:58 PM
CrankyJay

Thought this was interesting regarding Grigorenko:

Quote:
GM Darcy Regier said Thursday night negotiations are continuing with Grigorenko on an entry-level deal. He cannot play in Rochester this year; he can only play for the Sabres or return to junior hockey with the Quebec Ramparts.
Source: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...irgensons.html

Old
07-13-2012, 02:00 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Jordan Staal was an 18 year old playing in the NHL.....

Isn't the Lotto Motto "Hey, you never know!!!!!"

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:03 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
He will be a Sabre, not an Amerk, to start the season.
Nice try but not for more than nine games.

Jeeze, put down the kool aid people.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post

Hockey isnt lotto,besides remmember the saying better safe than sorry and by safe i mean not rushing girgensons so he doesnt break under pressure

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
joshjull

Quote:

I think it's a tad far fetched that they would cast their playoff hopes on fast tracking this kid.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:04 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=31850

This guy played in the NHL at 18yo, too.....

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:05 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

The one thing about Girgensons making the Sabres is that his game does fit nicely as a third line center--much like Couturier. Girgensons doesn't need to be on a scoring line to be effective. I could see him sliding into Roy's line between Leino and Pominville.

Another thing to keep in mind is he can start in the AHL and then get called up mid-season. He doesn't have to make the Sabres out of camp.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:07 PM
RobertR

Ohh, I`am so excited! But at the same time, a little bit worried.

Can he still manage to develop his offensive skills, (yeah we all know, the guy is strong, with decent defensive skill), but how about offense? Can he still develop to 1st or 2nd line C, playing at 3rd line in AHL? Or are we there talking about leading role form him in AHL?

RobertR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Here's Sabres University's first star pupil. This will be a test of how good they've got that ship running.
Did anyone else accidentally read this as ship ruining?

Old
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Nice try but not for more than nine games.

Jeeze, put down the kool aid people.
The 9 game look only applies to kids in the CHL that aren't old enough for the AHL.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
The one thing about Girgensons making the Sabres is that his game does fit nicely as a third line center--much like Couturier. Girgensons doesn't need to be on a scoring line to be effective. I could see him sliding into Roy's line between Leino and Pominville.

Another thing to keep in mind is he can start in the AHL and then get called up mid-season. He doesn't have to make the Sabres out of camp.
I don't doubt that Darcy is hoping he's good enough to fill that role this season. I just hope he's not relying on that happening and not looking to make any other moves because of it.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:15 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I don't doubt that Darcy is hoping he's good enough to fill that role this season. I just hope he's not relying on that happening and not looking to make any other moves because of it.
IMO I think he's going to let there be an open competition between Adam, Grigorenko, Girgensons, and maybe even Leino for that 3rd center opportunity, and just let the best guy win. In which case I gotta like Girgs chances.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:23 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:

His junior coach being on board seals if for me. No way that guy tells his kid to skip school and sign a pro deal if he didn't think he could do it.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:23 PM
sabresfan129103

somewhat worried they are rushing him. Regier and Ruff do seem to have a good eye for when players are ready though.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:25 PM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Trefilov > Skudra
Heeey, stats suggest otherwise. Skudra had a shutout in his sole appearance (Then again I'm not sure he played the whole game.)

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:26 PM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
somewhat worried they are rushing him. Regier and Ruff do seem to have a good eye for when players are ready though.
Could also be an additional reason they traded up to get him.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:34 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Good for him! I hope his development curve is ready to crank up.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:36 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
Thought this was interesting regarding Grigorenko:

Source: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...irgensons.html
I think we will sign Grig too and let both of them get a full training camp in to help develop. Can't hurt playing with the best!

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:36 PM
JSmith81x
Your weapon is guilt

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Heeey, stats suggest otherwise. Skudra had a shutout in his sole appearance (Then again I'm not sure he played the whole game.)
Skudra played 27 seconds in that game.
http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxs...010200BUF.html

JSmith81x is offline   Reply With Quote