HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Diaz signs 2 year deal with Montreal

Old
07-13-2012, 01:22 PM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Pretty much how I feel. Weber gets a lot of heat but he really hasn't been put in a position to succeed, in my opinion. He was given some PP time then yanked a few games later when it didn't work.

I'll admit though, Weber wouldn't be in the position he is now had he put more time into practicing his accuracy. He has quite the bullet, but he can never get it on target.
We see some flashes every now and then of his offensive play but his inconsistency will get him out of MTL with all of those D's that will push him in the back.

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:26 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
So how much left for PK?

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Yep great deal, perfect 5-6 D-man

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:29 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
So how much left for PK?
I think we have about $6.3m in cap space left.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:31 PM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by vad87 View Post
Hope it means the end du jeune Vé-ber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcrazy3 View Post
bye bye weber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Good signing. Probably means that a defenseman is gone (Weber?) even if MB says you can never have too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Sweet, avoided arbitration. Is Weber a goner?

Who's our triggerman on the 2nd PP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Great deal

GTFO Vébaire the movable lampadaire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Le jeune Veber is probably gonzo.
Haven't we learned our lesson that you can't have enough decent NHL-calibre defensemen on the team? Why is everyone so eager to chase Weber out of town?

We had 10 defensemen play for us last year. I don't see the problem in having 8 ready to go for this season. If everyone is (shockingly) healthy at the start of the season you can keep 8 then look to trade one in Nov/Dec if you feel you must.

Diaz and Weber are shockingly close to the same player on paper, right down to last year's stats and size. However Weber is 2.5 years younger. I think it's worth letting the two of them fight it out for the # 7 spot. No harm in carrying 8 D to start the year.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:33 PM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Pretty much how I feel. Weber gets a lot of heat but he really hasn't been put in a position to succeed, in my opinion. He was given some PP time then yanked a few games later when it didn't work.

I'll admit though, Weber wouldn't be in the position he is now had he put more time into practicing his accuracy. He has quite the bullet, but he can never get it on target.
Only 15 defensemen in the league scored more PP goals than Yannick Weber last year.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Only 15 defensemen in the league scored more PP goals than Yannick Weber last year.
I didn't know that.

He really has quite a shot. People here talk about his consistency. It's hard to find consistency when you're constantly being switched from forward to defenseman to healthy scratch.

With the depth we have now, I don't see him getting a chance next year, sadly. We'll see. But it's a waste, because he has the tools to succeed I think.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Frankc

Great!

The only thing I'm afraid of, is that he currently develop the same way that Streit did. Pretty similar numbers in Swiss-A league, both have about the same size and both made the jump directly to NHL from Swiss-A. Streit had 11pts in 48 games in his rookie season while Diaz had 16 in 59 games.

I'm afraid Diaz might explose as well on offense over the next 2 season and then he will seek for a $5M+ contract. Good news is that if this happen, he will take Markov money since his contract would be over at the same time.

I'm optimist about Diaz, he have a very good vision, make good passes and he's very smart in his own zone.

Frankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Buying the first UFA year for cheap is a good move. I was less than impressed with the UFA period butt Bergevin is doing well in re-sigining his own guys for cheap. Diaz shouldn't have any problem out performing 1.225 million in cap over the next two years, that's depth defenseman money.

As it stands with Weber vs Diaz. Diaz has better defense overall and can play a decent 2nd pairing penalty kill. He's better at even strength play. Whereas Weber is a pretty good power play depth defenseman and is younger and more apt to improve with time. Weber is probably better on offense, Diaz had relatively good rookie numbers but those were more a function of being decent offensively in the minutes he played on power play and even strength rather than having a particular offensive flair.

I like Diaz better for the Habs but there's no problem with having depth on defense. As it was noted above, defenseman always get injured.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:53 PM
LeMAD

Diaz reminds me a bit of Robidas when he was playing for the Habs. Not sure if he has what it takes to become a good NHLer, but I like him.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:58 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Why do I have the feeling Vébaire is gonna end up in Tampa Bay ?

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:05 PM
SeriousHabs

Weber isn't moving. He isn't worth much, and depth is better than no depth.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:05 PM
E = CH²

The hate for Weber is ridiculous. As others have said, he hasn't been put in a position to succeed. A ton of assets have been mishandled under the last regime. I'd be hesitant to get rid of anyone until they fail with the new management. It's possible Weber never amounts to anything but I think he's got potential.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:16 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
The hate for Weber is ridiculous. As others have said, he hasn't been put in a position to succeed. A ton of assets have been mishandled under the last regime. I'd be hesitant to get rid of anyone until they fail with the new management. It's possible Weber never amounts to anything but I think he's got potential.
Not sure I agree with that. He's been in our organization longer than but already lost his spot to Subban (two years ago) and then Emelin and Diaz (last year). Not to mention the fact that in the last two years, when we were looking for someone to help the PP (his bread and butter), he couldn't fill the role and we had to go out and get Wisniewski, Campoli and Kaberle.

I want Weber to succeed, but he's running out of chances. He's still young but it's a make-or-break time for him; we have to decide if he's worth investing in or move on, kind of like O'Byrne a couple of years ago.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:26 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Trade weber for nothing, give something useful for a PP shooter at deadline. Yay.

So...keep weber.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:26 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vad87 View Post
Hope it means the end du jeune Vé-ber
I would have posted that. Woe-ber is a defensive liability and redundant offensively.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Not sure I agree with that. He's been in our organization longer than but already lost his spot to Subban (two years ago) and then Emelin and Diaz (last year). Not to mention the fact that in the last two years, when we were looking for someone to help the PP (his bread and butter), he couldn't fill the role and we had to go out and get Wisniewski, Campoli and Kaberle.

I want Weber to succeed, but he's running out of chances. He's still young but it's a make-or-break time for him; we have to decide if he's worth investing in or move on, kind of like O'Byrne a couple of years ago.
I agree with this.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Diaz is gonna develop into a good bottom pairing 2 way defenseman, better offensively than defensively, but will do the job in his zone.

That said, Weber is gone IMO.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Andros777

Hopefully this means we won't be rushing prospects any more.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankc View Post
Great!

The only thing I'm afraid of, is that he currently develop the same way that Streit did. Pretty similar numbers in Swiss-A league, both have about the same size and both made the jump directly to NHL from Swiss-A. Streit had 11pts in 48 games in his rookie season while Diaz had 16 in 59 games.

I'm afraid Diaz might explose as well on offense over the next 2 season and then he will seek for a $5M+ contract. Good news is that if this happen, he will take Markov money since his contract would be over at the same time.

I'm optimist about Diaz, he have a very good vision, make good passes and he's very smart in his own zone.
So you're afraid that he'll become too good?

If he turns out to be anything close to Mark Streit I'd be jumping for joy.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Andy

I like Diaz. If he was taller hed get a lot more credit around here.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Haven't we learned our lesson that you can't have enough decent NHL-calibre defensemen on the team? Why is everyone so eager to chase Weber out of town?

We had 10 defensemen play for us last year. I don't see the problem in having 8 ready to go for this season. If everyone is (shockingly) healthy at the start of the season you can keep 8 then look to trade one in Nov/Dec if you feel you must.
damn straight!!!!!!

07-13-2012, 03:41 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I like Diaz. If he was taller hed get a lot more credit around here.
since when has this board had a size complex?

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:54 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
So how much left for PK?
depends on who makes the team, but if they go with 8D (Markov/Gorges/Subban/Kabs/Emelin/Diaz/Cube/Weber) and 13 F (DD, Pac, Cole, Pleks, Bourque, Gio, Prust, Eller, Gomez, Noke, Armstrong, White, Moen) then we should have a little under 7.5M left in cap space for 22 contracts.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

Don't disagree with you. Was never a favorite of mine. Yet....how tough it is for a young player to play on D....up front....4 minutes.....10 minutes....sit.....up front 5 minutes.....with some D....on the PP 2 shifts....I mean. It has to be tough and probably reserved to the best of them which he isn't. I still believe that he will always be overpowered defensively though while I'm clearly not comparing both....I also remember thinking the same for one guy....Stéphane Robidas. He was put in a position to succeed in Dallas and took it. Though I understand, every player put in a position to succeed, if they don't have it, won't succeed. So would be intereting to say how he does elsewhere.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote