HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Diaz signs 2 year deal with Montreal

Old
07-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Haven't we learned our lesson that you can't have enough decent NHL-calibre defensemen on the team? Why is everyone so eager to chase Weber out of town?

We had 10 defensemen play for us last year. I don't see the problem in having 8 ready to go for this season. If everyone is (shockingly) healthy at the start of the season you can keep 8 then look to trade one in Nov/Dec if you feel you must.

Diaz and Weber are shockingly close to the same player on paper, right down to last year's stats and size. However Weber is 2.5 years younger. I think it's worth letting the two of them fight it out for the # 7 spot. No harm in carrying 8 D to start the year.
No harm for sure....that is if we don't acquire a top 4 before the start of the season which we should be thinking of doing. Then, we might have no problem carrying 8 D....but will he? I mean, let say no injuries...that means he's never playing. While he probably thought his career was about to go all up since last year, it would be exactly the other way around which I then see him asking to be accomodated. ESPECIALLY since the guy sees who is in Hamilton. Now, we will evidently make him understand that it won't be easy....but we did accomodate Ben Maxwell and a couple of others. We might be able to do so with Weber for another struggling prospects or a pick. There has to be some jobs open in this league. Strangely, more than in Montreal. And this organization loves to accomodate people.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:02 PM
MXD

Good news.

Here's a guy who has a shot at being more than a bottom-3 D-Men... And that could blossom, barring an eventual bust from Beaulieu.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Another great contract.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:06 PM
No Style Points

Bergevin, getting it done.

I agree with the above posters: Weber gets too much hate around here. He's always done what was asked of him.

No Style Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:19 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I like Diaz. If he was taller hed get a lot more credit around here.
Are you accusing the Habs board of being "size crazy?"

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
It's HFBoards in general.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Good signing. I really liked the guy last year in a terrible team. If we do improve as a team, he could get a huge boost.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
We are but lettuce be reality, size is important. Especially for defencemen.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Uber Coca

Good contract for him. Was not really impressed by Diaz last season.

Uber Coca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
The hate for Weber is ridiculous. As others have said, he hasn't been put in a position to succeed. A ton of assets have been mishandled under the last regime. I'd be hesitant to get rid of anyone until they fail with the new management. It's possible Weber never amounts to anything but I think he's got potential.
Well said and I concur . Signings in the d area have all the markings of creating good competition for spots and basing decisions on who comes into camp the most conditioned , prepared and motivated . Most of these guys can be safely cleared through waivers and land in Hamilton but I would be disappointed if Weber didn't grab a spot .

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
Good contract for him. Was not really impressed by Diaz last season.
Yeah, if he keeps up these point totals he'll be making 4 million a year like Captain Kelowna.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:45 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Not sure I agree with that. He's been in our organization longer than but already lost his spot to Subban (two years ago) and then Emelin and Diaz (last year). Not to mention the fact that in the last two years, when we were looking for someone to help the PP (his bread and butter), he couldn't fill the role and we had to go out and get Wisniewski, Campoli and Kaberle.

I want Weber to succeed, but he's running out of chances. He's still young but it's a make-or-break time for him; we have to decide if he's worth investing in or move on, kind of like O'Byrne a couple of years ago.
post #31...

he's a 23 years old D...
(Markov played his 1st season in the NHL at 23, Emelin is starting his NHL career at 25, Diaz is starting his at 26, Streit came over at 28 and is doing just fine)

but yeah, he hasnt secure a top4 spot at 23, he's out!

anyway, dont get the love for Diaz, guaranteed by the end of his contract he'll be a bottom pairing D still.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:04 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Not sure I agree with that. He's been in our organization longer than but already lost his spot to Subban (two years ago) and then Emelin and Diaz (last year).
Apples and oranges.

Dmen take longer to develop. Emelin is 2 years older and had a lot of seasoning in the 2nd best league in the world. Diaz is also 2 years older.

Also, I don't think it's fair to say he got beaten by Subban for a spot. Subban is already one of the best dman in the league and has been truly exceptional since his first shift in the NHL.

Quote:
Not to mention the fact that in the last two years, when we were looking for someone to help the PP (his bread and butter), he couldn't fill the role and we had to go out and get Wisniewski, Campoli and Kaberle.

I want Weber to succeed, but he's running out of chances. He's still young but it's a make-or-break time for him; we have to decide if he's worth investing in or move on, kind of like O'Byrne a couple of years ago.
As I said earlier, I don't have much trust in the previous regime's way of handling young players.

All you have to do is look back to Martin's comments at the beginning of last season. Hard for them to develop any confidence with Martin laying the blame at their feet continually, unjustly at times might I add.

I have hope that JJD will whip that D into form and have them playing to their strength and we'll see what Weber can do in a different atmosphere.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:12 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimer11 View Post
Bergevin, getting it done.

I agree with the above posters: Weber gets too much hate around here. He's always done what was asked of him.
He does do what is asked of him. That much is true.

The problem is that he does not do it very well.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post

I'd say that's the case for hockey in general.

Size is an asset in hockey.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:38 PM
xposbrad

Not a Weber or Diaz fan. Both are weak on D and the reason we're a below mediocre team is because we don't have anyone better. I'm hoping 2-3 more years of good drafting will result in us having a more solid all around team with more depth.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:39 PM
Mrb1p

So much hate for Weber...

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:50 PM
xposbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
He's just not big or strong enough to be an everyday nhl dman and his offense is not good enough to compensate for his deficiency on D.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:08 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xposbrad View Post
He's just not big or strong enough to be an everyday nhl dman and his offense is not good enough to compensate for his deficiency on D.
it's not like Diaz is any stronger or bigger...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:20 AM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post

I lost it

JAVO16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:36 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
it's not like Diaz is any stronger or bigger...
He said he doesn't like Diaz either.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:34 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by xposbrad View Post
Not a Weber or Diaz fan. Both are weak on D and the reason we're a below mediocre team is because we don't have anyone better. I'm hoping 2-3 more years of good drafting will result in us having a more solid all around team with more depth.
I'm not a Weber fan at all, Diaz I like a little and think he might be able to be a solid D for us if we didn't have so many already like him in the lineup. But I do think we will see a shift over the next couple of years as Beaulieu, Tinordi, Bennett all could end up being good NHLers for us plus if the team struggles again they could be in a good spot to add additional quality D prospects over a couple years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Not a fan at all but I don't think anyone should be surprised at fans voicing their displeasure as we just had the worst season likely any Hab fan has ever seen and imo a large part of the problem was how bad our blueline was and from the looks of it we are going to have just about the same D as the one that finished 15th out of 15. I know the Cube at least gives us some grit back there as it's sorely lacking from last year, and if Markov can get anywhere near what he was before the injuries then that's going to be huge but still it's hard to get excited when you have a D that could be made up of Kabs/Weber/Diaz and that's a scary thought as we could be in for another tough season if we are forced to watch them get pushed around in their own end night in and night out.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

He scored 4 goals and put up 18 points last year in VERY limited ice time. Weber goes into the corners and surprisingly, can use his body decently. I really don't get why people dislike him so much. I'd be upset if the Habs got rid of him, since he'll definitely end up being a very good NHL'er.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

Can you blame him for not playing the 4th line grinder role well?
He was the 2nd in terms of goals and 3rd in terms of pts for Dmen, despite being 6th for ice time (some of it spent up front as you know).
In terms of PP production, he produced almost at the same rate as PK, despite being used on the 2nd wave with less ice time to set up.

We didn't use him properly.

Streit is a perfect example too. We saw his offensive capabilities here. Because of them, we always needed to keep him dressed, even if it meant moving him up front. His defensive game though, was far from impressive. But, can't really blame him, when you're used on D, then on the 4th line, then back on D with a new partner, etc... It'll screw up your game.

Signs in NYI, plays solid defensively as he's contently used as a Dman, and puts up the points. Also turns out he's got good leadership skills. Wasted asset from our side, great signing from NY.

Weber doesn't appear to be better than Streit, but we haven't giving him a chance to really establish his game here. You can't expect a kid to jump in the NHL, be dressed as a Dman, then scratched, then up front, then scratched, then dressed to play 5min at ES and 3-4min on PP, then back on D with different partner, etc, to really solidify his game.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:33 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Not a bad signing at all.

Said it before and I'll say it again:

Weber had higher highs and lower lows than Diaz. Up until the 20ish game mark of the season Weber was the 3rd most used defenseman behind Subban and Gorges and he was on pace for about 35 pts. He played a more physical game than Diaz as well, in fact much more. Weber doesn't shy away from the tough stuff and he will defend himself.

It seems the moment we start throwing him around in different positions and changing his partners he gets lost, but what do you expect?

But something has to give in this defense line up, that or they are just as hesitant about Markov's long-term health as I am.

Subban
Markov
Gorges
Emelin
Diaz
Bouillon
Weber
Kaberle

8 NHL D with capable call ups like St-Denis/Nash? Not to mention Tinordi/Beaulieu not far behind (a few games wouldn't stunt their development or kill them, unlike some would have you believe).

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote