HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shane Doan thread (Buccigross - The ridiculous offer is Buffalo's)

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2012, 03:40 PM
FearRipSimonick

vCash: 500
I don't have a problem with the cap hit. I even said at the beginning of the FA period that let's throw 7-8 mil at him for a year or two...but four years is a bit much. Still, with what he brings to the table outside of just his 50 pts, I think that cap hit is fair if that's what you need to get over the top. I'd say bring him on board and slap a C on him Day One.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:42 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

I hope we did not offer him that ridiculous money, absurd...

Old
07-13-2012, 03:43 PM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
That means we should tie up 7.5 for the next 3 years?
No, I'm just saying its POSSIBLE NOT PROBABLE that it could be us.

Thats all I was saying, but of course people will read too much into it and take it in a direction it shouldn't.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
I wasn't interested in Doan before this report and remain uninterested now. This blurb pretty much summarizes my thoughts on the subject:
Intangiblezzzz.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:51 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's the Islanders.

I'm not sure how they look with respect to the cap floor, but this could help them reach it.

And Wang/Snow have given out some crazy contracts over the years (DiPietro, Kovalchuk offer, etc.)

Old
07-13-2012, 03:51 PM
DixonWard15

we can't play salary cap games because he is too old, I hope its not us

Old
07-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Sign him to that, if he declines rapidly after the 2nd or 3rd year stash him in the A.

Why not sign Doan to this?The salary cap space isn't like AT & T where we can roll it over to the next season ( ) might as well use it and "overspend" that space then not even use it at all.

And Doan would be a great mentor to about half the team.Do it up Darcy.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:55 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

This topic made me think of who will be a FA next year.....

Some hot names we might want to reserve our cap room for:

Corey Perry
Ryan Getzlaf
Nathan Horton
Jarome Iginla (seriously, why not just wait a year and get the same thing but better?)
Victor Stalberg
Valteri Filppula
Simon Gagne
Dustin Penner
Patrick Elias (only 1 year older than Doan but scored 78 points last year)
Scott Hartnell
Ryan Clowe
Joffrey Lupul

Some of these guys will get resigned during the year, but I think I would rather see the Sabres go after any of the above guys than give that kind of money to Doan.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:55 PM
dire wolf
be cool

please be Winnipeg!

Old
07-13-2012, 04:01 PM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
I wasn't interested in Doan before this report and remain uninterested now. This blurb pretty much summarizes my thoughts on the subject:
That blurb doesn't take into account things other than production a Doan type player could bring to the table.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:02 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Sign him to that, if he declines rapidly after the 2nd or 3rd year stash him in the A.

Why not sign Doan to this?The salary cap space isn't like AT & T where we can roll it over to the next season ( ) might as well use it and "overspend" that space then not even use it at all.

Because he over 35, and thus the 35+ rule applies. Even if he retires or gets stashed, the cap hit still counts on contracts that went into effect after a player turns 35.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Cappie2k2

and who said the actual cap hit would be actual 7.5? I know cap hit are not as high as what you owe a guy.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:03 PM
CrankyJay

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post

Corey Perry
Ryan Getzlaf
Nathan Horton
Jarome Iginla (seriously, why not just wait a year and get the same thing but better?)
Victor Stalberg
Valteri Filppula
Simon Gagne
Dustin Penner
Scott Hartnell
Ryan Clowe
Joffrey Lupul

Some of these guys will get resigned during the year, but I think I would rather see the Sabres go after any of the above guys than give that kind of money to Doan.
Oh man. Would love Hartnell on the Sabres. Good banger and locker room guy.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:03 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappie2k2 View Post
and who said the actual cap hit would be actual 7.5? I know cap hit are not as high as what you owe a guy.
Cap hit = total value of contract / number of years.

It could be frontloaded, but a 30M contract over 4 years is by definition a 7.5 cap hit each season.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:05 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post

Corey Perry
Ryan Getzlaf
Nathan Horton
Victor Stalberg
Valteri Filppula
Simon Gagne
Dustin Penner
Scott Hartnell
Ryan Clowe
Joffrey Lupul

Next year will be the best FA market in awhile, not to mention Grigs, Girgs, and Armia all likely being on the team. 2013 and onward are our best chances to win a Stanley. Next year teams just won't cut it. Save the cap for next season when we can really make a push.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post

Because he is 35+ you can not stash his salary in the AHL. Nor can you buy him out really. Technically you can I believe but the savings is virtually meaningless. If he retires, the money is still on your cap also. So, the money they're talking about would be against our cap for the length of the contract regardless of what happens.......aside from an injury and LTIR I guess.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Next year will be the best FA market in awhile, not to mention Grigs, Girgs, and Armia all likely being on the team. 2013 and onward are our best chances to win a Stanley. Next year teams just won't cut it. Save the cap for next season when we can really make a push.
I would be surprised if half of that list is still a free agent come July 1 next season, the main two, Perry and Getzlaf, especially.

EDIT: And there will likely be just as many suitors next year as there was this year. If Doan would have said yes this year and we pass and then come up empty next year, then what? If he makes us better and will take our money, sign him. Worry about next season, next season.

Last edited by Digable5: 07-13-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old
07-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Yeah I mean wow, anybody offering Doan more than 2 years is an idiot. I would love to have him for one year at 7.5 or 2 at 5 each. Very expensive but probably worth it.

If the Sabres are looking to spend big money they should do it on another top 4 defense man.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Jame
Dream '16

if it's Buffalo... I wouldn't be worried about the cap hit at all.

Buffalo has a ton of expiring contracts in 2014.
And in that time, there is really only 1 key player staring at a potentially big raise (Ennis).

Does that mean I want to sign Doan? not sure really... but the cap implications are almost meaningless.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Cappie2k2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Cap hit = total value of contract / number of years.

It could be frontloaded, but a 30M contract over 4 years is by definition a 7.5 cap hit each season.
Okay thanks for clearing that up for me.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
if it's Buffalo... I wouldn't be worried about the cap hit at all.

Buffalo has a ton of expiring contracts in 2014.
And in that time, there is really only 1 key player staring at a potentially big raise (Ennis).

Does that mean I want to sign Doan? not sure really... but the cap implications are almost meaningless.
Exactly. I do think Doan is a veteran that would do wonders to a very young team and epitomizes the type of team/player/attitude we're trying to promote with the "new core". Whether or not to sign is still up in the air with me (leaning sign) but I'm not worried about Cap.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Maybe this has been mentioned elsewhere but it's interesting that Regier specifically addressed his interest in Doan which I don't remember him doing before. He was specifically asked by Schopp a couple days ago but it seems like he volunteered Doan's name in the interview last night (maybe I'm wrong, I'm basing that statement on the WGR article).

Regier rarely mentions FAs by name even when they sign elsewhere. Think about a couple years ago when Koivu and Cullen signed with Anaheim and Minny, respectively, and Regier mentioned interest in their situations but not by the players' names.

Probably overreacting, but it seems like there's genuine interest there.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

It would be nice to know if the suggested "30+ mil" is combined with bonuses, because I just can't make sense of it if it's not.

Lets say it's not, and the proposed cap hit is around 7.5, that leads me to believe it isn't Buffalo. Darcy/his staff is pretty good at crunching the numbers and limiting the cap hit, and the three big contracts he's given out since Pegula took over (Myers, Ehrhoff, Leino) were all armed with pretty heavy signing bonuses - I believe they were $10M, $5M and $4M respectively.

If the 30+ number does include bonuses, then I could definitely see it being Buffalo. I don't know the rules around signing bonuses - whether there's a certain 'ceiling' for the bonus depending on the contracts value - but if it was something like a 4 year, 22 million dollar contract with a 10 million dollar signing bonus, that'd seem a lot more reasonable for Doan and something that both Darcy and Pegula would be willing to do.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Vito_81

Doan's the kind of player we need to win.

Is it too expensive and too long, Yes and Yes

Does he come for cheaper or shorter term, NO

Does he make us better, YES

You have to give to get. If it costs a couple million more with a risk of him being unable to play in year 3 and/or 4. That's the risk you have to take to win. Playing it safe has got us a grand total of ZERO Cups.

You HAVE to take risks to succeed.

Doan is durable. VERY durable. He's missed no more than 10 games in a season since 1998. He's a solid playoff performer.

Is it a risk to sign a 36 year old to play for a guaranteed cap hit of 7.5 million until he's 39. Sure it is. But in Doan's case, it's about as safe of a risk you could take. He may not be worth 7.5 at 38 or 39 (or even right now) but its safe to say he'll be in the lineup helping one way or another.

It's not the best scenario, but it's not the disaster some think.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:32 PM
heartsabres*

it is not Buffalo, Darcy said he forgot to pay his phone bill so when he tried to call his agent his phone was dead

Closed Thread