Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wellwood signed! (1 year, 1.6M)

Old
07-13-2012, 04:27 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
3rd line with the other 2 Leafs most likely ? Mittens on 4th line with Slater and Thor ?

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:29 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
One year at $1.6M is fine by me. That's very cheap for decent scoring depth. Even if he was on the third-line (which unfortunately he won't be) that's a very fair price.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

1.6 is a bit much imo
But it is for only 1 year
He can help the top 6 as required

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
3rd line with the other 2 Leafs most likely ? Mittens on 4th line with Slater and Thor ?
Mittens can sit this one out. I want to see Cormier on the fourth.

As for the other lines, I could see either Wellwood or Burmi as RW on the second-line with Kane and Little. Personally I have a feeling they'll be sheltering Burmi and playing him on the third, and Wellwood will be the de facto second-line winger.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
A year year deal is great for us. Wellwood is pretty versatile, so if one of the young guys is ready, Wellwood can always go down a line.
My problem is I have zero faith that Noel will do that. Many may disagree, but I have been very very underwhelmed with the way he has treated young players. He marginalizes them for veterans, even when they are badly outplaying the veterans, IMO.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:31 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
One year at $1.6M is fine by me. That's very cheap for decent scoring depth. Even if he was on the third-line (which unfortunately he won't be) that's a very fair price.
Where else could he be, def not good enough for top 6 and not a good 4th liner ? Only way he gets in top 6 is if Burmi moves out or Kane is gone, both not ideal imo.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

So...

Ladd-Jokinen-Wheeler
Kane-Little-Burmistrov
Poni-Antropov-Wellwood
Machacek-Slater-Thorburn

???

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:32 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Mittens can sit this one out. I want to see Cormier on the fourth.
That NMC will cause problems. I thought Mittens would be a perfect fit for the Russians and Cormier/Spencer on the 4th.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:32 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
My problem is I have zero faith that Noel will do that. Many may disagree, but I have been very very underwhelmed with the way he has treated young players. He marginalizes them for veterans, even when they are badly outplaying the veterans, IMO.
In house who would you have liked to see on the second line?

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:34 PM
KapG

Why not line burmistrov at C? The kids got the creativity and vision to play there...

The only thing he seems to struggle with is faceoffs. This is something that is easily fixed with hard work and good coaching though. The vision and creativity that he has is just natural...sucks to limit the amount of ice he has by putting him on the wing......

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
That NMC will cause problems. I thought Mittens would be a perfect fit for the Russians and Cormier on the 4th.
But there's no Russians on that line...

Machacek needs to be the NHL next year, no way cannot be. I am still hoping beyond hope that Noel will give the youngsters a chance and have a Cormier - Slater - Machacek fourth line, with Mittens and Thorburn as the extra forwards, but with Noel's penchant for alway going veteran, that won't happen probably.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
I could go either way on this. He was good for us last year but I really liked Chevy's mentality of getting bigger. Wellwood is soft as butter, I've almost never seen him throw a hit. Hopefully he puts up similar numbers.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:36 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
But there's no Russians on that line...

Machacek needs to be the NHL next year, no way cannot be. I am still hoping beyond hope that Noel will give the youngsters a chance and have a Cormier - Slater - Machacek fourth line, with Mittens and Thorburn as the extra forwards, but with Noel's penchant for alway going veteran, that won't happen probably.
Then where does Wellwood fit in, on 3rd line as the Leaf line ? That fourth line would be insane with Thor subbed in vs bigger teams.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
In house who would you have liked to see on the second line?
If they were unable to bring in a true top 6 talent or a tweener that could be more useful on the PK and bottom lines, I would given Burmistrov, Scheifele, Telegin, and maybe even Machacek the right to fight it out at camp. If none of them are working, Ponikarovsky and Antropov could fill in there while they went out and found a better option. Wellwood's just such a meh piece. He was a nice reclamation project, but you gotta know when to move on from there, IMO.

Quote:
Then where does Wellwood fit in, on 3rd line as the Leaf line ? That fourth line would be insane with Thor subbed in vs bigger teams.
Him and Burmi will probably be interchangeable from the Joki 2nd line and the Antro 3rd line.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Jetsfan204*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
So...

Ladd-Jokinen-Wheeler
Kane-Little-Burmistrov
Poni-Antropov-Wellwood
Machacek-Slater-Thorburn

???
Ladd/Little/Wheeler
Kane/Jokinen/Burmi
Ponikarovsky/Wellwood/Antropov
Thorburn-Slater-Machacek

Is my guess to start the year. Although I would love wheeler on the jokinen/kane line

Jetsfan204* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:40 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
I could go either way on this. He was good for us last year but I really liked Chevy's mentality of getting bigger. Wellwood is soft as butter, I've almost never seen him throw a hit. Hopefully he puts up similar numbers.
There is no doubt he has a use and purpose, just thought they could use young guys that are better suited for 3rd and 4th line duties then bringing Wellwood back.

Kane-Little-Wheels
Ladd-Oli-Burmi
Mittens-Antro-Poni
Spencer-Slater-Thorb
Extra - Cormier

This is what I was hoping for. Only spot Wellwood could slot in is on 3rd line, but 3rd line needs to be defensively responsible and Mittens fills that role better imo. And if Telegin or Scheifele are ready, complicates things even more.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:41 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
If they were unable to bring in a true top 6 talent or a tweener that could be more useful on the PK and bottom lines, I would given Burmistrov, Scheifele, Telegin, and maybe even Machacek the right to fight it out at camp. If none of them are working, Ponikarovsky and Antropov could fill in there while they went out and found a better option. Wellwood's just such a meh piece. He was a nice reclamation project, but you gotta know when to move on from there, IMO.
We're on similar pages, I just think that we're better off giving the young guns one more year to mature. I like the term because it's very much a stop gap measure. For one year I like it.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:44 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

You know, even though this means we're not signing Doan or Semin, I'm really happy with this.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:50 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
So...

Ladd-Jokinen-Wheeler
Kane-Little-Burmistrov
Poni-Antropov-Wellwood
Machacek-Slater-Thorburn

???
I like the look of that - if Cormier is in instead of Machacek for some reason, that's a pretty decent line-up for the times that the main C get's thrown out of the circle. 2 legitimate centres on the bottom 3 lines.

That third line could do some damage - they'll be difficult to play against (Poni and Antro), and will be dangerous if you don't take their scoring ability seriously. Should be good defensively too - will take some pressure off the 4th line. It will be strange to be able to ice a real 3rd line this season.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Skidooboy

To be honest I have done a 180 on Wellwood. last year ishook my head when he was signed. Now I am glad he is here. and I think it's a great deal for both him and the team.

Also Welly pulled Centre duty between Antro and Poni for a month in his rookie year when Sundin was hurt....just sayin.

Skidooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Bob E

Meh. Not a wellwood fan, but term and salary is manageable.

I agree with Holden though, that I much rather the Jets allowed their young players to compete for a top 6 spot. Now they have Antro, Poni, Welly, Mittens all with expiring contracts - leading to UFA - at the end of the year. Or 1/3rd of your forwards. As I don't expect any of them back after this year. But the young players, who are close to making it - cormier, machacek, klingberg (??), scheifele (??) will likely have to wait another year.

First Chevy move I really have to question.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidooboy View Post
To be honest I have done a 180 on Wellwood. last year ishook my head when he was signed. Now I am glad he is here. and I think it's a great deal for both him and the team.

Also Welly pulled Centre duty between Antro and Poni for a month in his rookie year when Sundin was hurt....just sayin.
Why not..

Put him in the middle and let Poni and Antro each grab a love handle and make a mini flying V up the ice.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Why not..

Put him in the middle and let Poni and Antro each grab a love handle and make a mini flying V up the ice.
He's not fat anymore! Leave Kyle alone!

As I said on the trade board, I'm fine with this. It's a stopgap measure, and hopefully Burmi or one of the youngsters can crack the top 6, which would relegate Wellwood to a 3rd line role, where I feel he's ideal.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Jetsfareast

vCash: 695
Well wood is a good sign for what's it worth. He deserves it personally and it gives the jets versatility.
Sad about it is if telegin and schiefele put on a show in the training camp, eventually they will be sent down due to number games because they do not deserve to be on the 4th line.

Also this bump down Cormier and mahachek out of the 13 forward which sucks also be because they deserve to play now. With coach Noel penchant for going with always veterans good bye for those 4 guys.

Unless a trade is brewing for enstrom++ to another team top 6 forward plus a pick.

Right now I see coach Noel doing this at the 1st game of the year

Ladd little wheeler
Kane jokinen well wood
Ponikorovsky burmistrov Antropov
??? Slater mittenen
Thorburn(rw)

It leaves schiefele and telegin in Avery tight spot and with this I don't think they will be sticking to the big club this year because they do not deserve to be in the 4th line. Unless I hope they really show up in the training camp and pre season and first 9 games that they are above all and are top 6 forward already. For me if you are a good player you are a good player, and for them to best learn is already in the NHL specially if you are 19 to 20 years old already. It is up to the coach now how to give them the best chance to succeed and this is the only area where coach Noel is not good, with young players.

My two cent only

Jetsfareast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

I guess that Semin is just asking for too much?

I like having Wellwood back. I just see way more forwards than spots right now, if you are trying to bring in Macho and Cormier. I guess we have lost Glass, Stapleton and Fehr, so when you look at it like that, we have really upgraded our forward corps.