HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

vCash: 500
Got another stick in the mail; Easton Mako M2. I have to stop buying hockey stuff.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Danglous

Two days ago I ran over my hockey bag and split my helmet in half, yesterday I broke my stick.

Today, I took a look into my wallet

Old
07-13-2012, 05:58 PM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dikkens View Post
Two days ago I ran over my hockey bag and split my helmet in half, yesterday I broke my stick.

And it's "broke" too?

Seriously, though, no fun. How did you manage to run over your hockey bag?

Old
07-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Mr Fahrenheit
Valar Morghulis

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97980208 View Post
And it's "broke" too?

He thought it was a dog

Seriously though, playing pick ups with no goalies sucks...

Old
07-14-2012, 12:06 AM
Oak
Hockey fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
Illegal.
Depends what state.

Old
07-14-2012, 12:10 AM
Oak
Hockey fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
Today I watched Max Pacioretty, Colton Orr and some AHL guy screw around during stick-time at my rink while I was working... jeezus, their snap-shots are laser-like. It's incredible. The speed at which they get rid of the puck and the sheer velocity of the puck mid-shot is just unreal. Gave me the hockey-itch hardcore and I wish I could've hopped on the ice with them, but I'm still stuck working in the shop... Sigh..
What rink do you work at?

Old
07-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Danglous

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97980208 View Post
And it's "broke" too?

I put the bag down behind my tailgate and ran in the house to grab my keys. Forgot about the bag, and just backed right over it.

Initially I did think it was my dog, thank god it wasnt.

Old
07-14-2012, 11:23 PM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

Man, that sucks. I'm glad it wasn't your dog, too.

Old
07-14-2012, 11:35 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
I put the bag down behind my tailgate and ran in the house to grab my keys. Forgot about the bag, and just backed right over it.

Initially I did think it was my dog, thank god it wasnt.
One of those 'squeeze your hair gel onto your tooth brush in the morning' moments.

Old
07-14-2012, 11:39 PM
MNWild9

Yesterday I skated three times. Once at 9 am open skate again at 2pm for open skate and mens league at 7 pm. After my mens league game got ready for work then worked a boring 8 hours.

Old
07-15-2012, 02:02 AM
stocky

Went to an open skate tonight. Pretty fun. There werent a lot of people there to chew up the ice.

Old
07-15-2012, 10:56 AM
clayman

Quote:

It might not be a good time to buy lottery tickets! lol..

Old
07-15-2012, 04:06 PM
clayman

I had some CCM U+12's that I just couldn't come to terms with, was looking for more of an old school boot feel. I went to my lhs today and talked to him, told him what I was looking for, and he had a pair of Graf Supra 735's there that had been worn once. He let me try them out in the session that was going on and I was sold! These things are great! And on top of that he traded me straight across for my CCM's!

It's a good day! When it comes down to personal customer service you cant beat you're lhs!

Old
07-15-2012, 05:24 PM
PaperworkNinja

I found out I may be playing with the wrong-handedness of sticks.

I'm left-handed, so I buy left-hand sticks. I tried a right-hand stick. Much better control over the puck. Then I read the whole "dominant hand at the butt of the stuck" thing, and I realize I've been doing it wrong for these few months. The thing is, I've been doing okay with left-hand sticks. So I may be able to switch back and forth depending on the needs of the team.

Old
07-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Shake it Off

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperworkNinja View Post
I found out I may be playing with the wrong-handedness of sticks.

I'm left-handed, so I buy left-hand sticks. I tried a right-hand stick. Much better control over the puck. Then I read the whole "dominant hand at the butt of the stuck" thing, and I realize I've been doing it wrong for these few months. The thing is, I've been doing okay with left-hand sticks. So I may be able to switch back and forth depending on the needs of the team.
I'm in the same situation (left-handed and have always shot left). Only skated out once since I thought about changing handedness and haven't had a chance to try it yet. Been messing around in general shooting right just by holding my stick the other way at home and making various motions. It doesn't necessarily feel any better or worse than shooting left. Might try it on the ice if I can get ahold of a cheap right-handed stick.

Old
07-15-2012, 10:00 PM
ganave

I went to my 2nd instructional league session. There were other goalies there to give me some instruction this time. Although one is and older well meaning guy, but his advice doesn't jive with other sources for lacing up pads. He says tighter at the bottom -- he has them so tight his legpad actually rests on top of his goalie skate... he also drops to his knees so his pads are underneath him and uses a paddle down to cover the 5 hole. To each their own I guess.

Oh, and I have the "right stuff" to be a goalie! Just need to work on my core muscles and lower back. I didn't understand "hockey shape" vs "regular in-shape" until I started playing hockey. I was so annoyed when getting deked though, waiting until the last second until committing is tough. Skaters liked it that I didn't give up even if I got deked though, a couple times I went down expecting a glove side shot and then pushed over enough to get my paddle on a wrist shot. Feels good stopping pucks.

Last edited by ganave: 07-15-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old
07-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Shake it Off

vCash: 100
Today, for the first time in my years playing hockey, I felt like I was a ringer out there. I showed up to a scrimmage game (not really sure what to call it, there was a referee and a scorekeeper but I was able to drop in) not really knowing what to expect, with my goalie gear but they were full on goalies so I skated out instead. Scored four goals and we won 10-4. I tried not to be selfish but if I saw opportunities I took them too - I hope I didn't come across as "some ******* ringer" to the other players out there.

Old
07-16-2012, 12:52 AM
MNWild9

Skated open skate from 9am to 11am. Then went to the LHS to look for a few new sticks since I broke my back up this morning. The happened to have some pro stock stuff in so I picked up a 2 Apx's and 2 Totalones. Skated Mens league from 7pm to 9pm. Got home to see one of my Apx blade has a big crack in it. Also owned at mens league 5 goals 3 assists. won 12 to 7

Old
07-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Flew over to China and played my first hockey game in over a month.

In that month I spent in Taiwan, I did a ton of dry land stick handling with my smart ball, pro puck and a green biscuit.

The difference in my stick handling is night and day now. I think putting that effort in really made the difference. I can play to my pace now and force defenders to make the first move. I used to see a defender come in and just panic, which results in me bobbling the puck or throwing an errant pass to nobody.

Old
07-17-2012, 12:05 PM
29Potvins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Flew over to China and played my first hockey game in over a month.

In that month I spent in Taiwan, I did a ton of dry land stick handling with my smart ball, pro puck and a green biscuit.

The difference in my stick handling is night and day now. I think putting that effort in really made the difference. I can play to my pace now and force defenders to make the first move. I used to see a defender come in and just panic, which results in me bobbling the puck or throwing an errant pass to nobody.
I emigrated from Hong Kong when I was really young but now I often wonder how I would do if I played pick up there (ie is there a discernible difference in skill between players in China and Canada).
------------------------
Today I joined HFBoards, but last night I played some pick up floor hockey. It bugged me so much how much lighter the ball was.. kept shooting and passing it way too high

Old
07-17-2012, 12:13 PM
evengodlovesthecbj

Scored my first ever goal in my beer league last night. First season in a league

Old
07-17-2012, 05:40 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Sat at home watching NHL network, waiting for the sun to go down so I can go shoot pucks in the back yard in under 100 degree weather.

Old
07-17-2012, 09:57 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Potvins View Post
I emigrated from Hong Kong when I was really young but now I often wonder how I would do if I played pick up there (ie is there a discernible difference in skill between players in China and Canada).
------------------------
Today I joined HFBoards, but last night I played some pick up floor hockey. It bugged me so much how much lighter the ball was.. kept shooting and passing it way too high
Most of the guys who play in China/HK are expats or teachers. The level of play is a mix of advanced to elite level of play.

There's fewer intermediate and beginner players here, as this sport isn't prevalent, so the most of the guys who play started playing when they're young.

Old
07-17-2012, 11:10 PM
stocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
There's fewer intermediate and beginner players here, as this sport isn't prevalent, so the most of the guys who play started playing when they're young.
Same here in SoCal. I went to stick time at my rink today/ By the time I got there, the session was 20 minutes in and the other guys had started scrimmaging. All of them were way above my level of play. I seemed to be the only beginner there. So I just practiced stick handling by myself in the neutral zone.

Old
07-18-2012, 12:27 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocky View Post
Same here in SoCal. I went to stick time at my rink today/ By the time I got there, the session was 20 minutes in and the other guys had started scrimmaging. All of them were way above my level of play. I seemed to be the only beginner there. So I just practiced stick handling by myself in the neutral zone.
I'm a beginner as well. I stuck with it for around 9-10 months playing with high level players and I've improved immensely since then.

Closed Thread