HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

JVR to start training camp at C

Old
07-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Kirkpatrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
a) I don't think teams who have number one centermen available to be moved really exist.

b) If a star number one was somehow available, it's probably smarter to just pay the price and move on with life.
If there's one thing the fans have issue with, it's paying the price and moving on with life

Kirkpatrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:30 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkpatrick View Post
If there's one thing the fans have issue with, it's paying the price and moving on with life
i agree.

i'm sorry fans. it's going to cost us to get someone solid in the 1C position.

i would suggest giving up:

a solid prospect
a future 1st or 2nd
a winger like lupul, mac, or kuli

there's no way RC is satisfied with Bozak at the 1C. it's time to pay the actual asking price.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Cmillz

As a guy on TSN just said...this is one of the only teams in the league going into the season not knowing who the first line center is. It's absurd, not only this season but the last 3 seasons. Slotting JVR in the first line center slot is equally stupid and desperate, it's still unreasonable to assume he'll be in the 2C spot although they may have no choice. Personally...I'd put more into acquiring a true #1C and ride our young inexperienced goalies.

Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:38 AM
gravyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post

if grabo is the solution to our 1C issues than why are we even talking here? why would burke say to the media that he wants to get a 1C when he already signed one? why are we making 8,000 threads about the 1C when we have grabo and other people who can play 2nd line C?

grabo is not a top line center in the NHL.
Grabo is not an ideal #1 center, no, but is Bozak or JVR? I'd much rather see him centering the top line than those two. He's our best center, hands down.

I'm all for finding a #1 center but how many centers out there are available? Stastny maybe? How much closer to a #1 center is he than Grabovski? There's Getzlaf, but my guess is that Ryan's on the block so that they can lock Getzlaf and Perry up long-term. Perhaps they don't and he's available, but not until they work at it all year long so best case scenario he's available at the trade deadline. Well, there will be a metric crap ton of teams willing to overpay for his services. Same with if he reaches UFA; no guarantees. Then there's possibly Dubinsky, but is he a #1 center?

Find me another NHL ready #1 center that could possibly be moved that makes sense for both teams.

gravyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:54 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Grabo is not an ideal #1 center, no, but is Bozak or JVR? I'd much rather see him centering the top line than those two. He's our best center, hands down.

I'm all for finding a #1 center but how many centers out there are available? Stastny maybe? How much closer to a #1 center is he than Grabovski? There's Getzlaf, but my guess is that Ryan's on the block so that they can lock Getzlaf and Perry up long-term. Perhaps they don't and he's available, but not until they work at it all year long so best case scenario he's available at the trade deadline. Well, there will be a metric crap ton of teams willing to overpay for his services. Same with if he reaches UFA; no guarantees. Then there's possibly Dubinsky, but is he a #1 center?

Find me another NHL ready #1 center that could possibly be moved that makes sense for both teams.
you don't even know who's being offered, and what the asking price is. yeah we know about some of the big name forwards who are being shopped or are wanting out. so much goes on that we don't know about. not everyone acts like Heatley. Burke will find a 1C through a trade. he'll have to pay a good sum. hopefully he is youthful and healthy. always keep into perspective the whole: "if wayne gretzky can be traded..." the elusive 1C is not impossible, but not cheap.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:00 PM
gravyface

Quote:
you don't even know who's being offered, and what the asking price is. yeah we know about some of the big name forwards who are being shopped or are wanting out. so much goes on that we don't know about. not everyone acts like Heatley. Burke will find a 1C through a trade. he'll have to pay a good sum. hopefully he is youthful and healthy. always keep into perspective the whole: "if wayne gretzky can be traded..." the elusive 1C is not impossible, but not cheap.
I spent a good couple of hours one day a few weeks ago (I was seriously bored) going through every team's depth charts looking at who has a surplus of NHL ready or soon-to-be centers that could possibly challenge to replace the current #1.

The list was very short.

I'm not saying you couldn't pry a guy out who you'd think is possibly not available, but the sheer cost would be asinine and if Burke's not going to "stripmine" the team for an arguably more important position of a #1 goaltender, I can't see him doing it for a #1 center... and we've needed a #1 center since Sundin left.

If we do somehow land a #1 center, great, Grabovski moves back to #2, life's good. But in the meantime, is JVR or Bozak the answer?

Old
07-13-2012, 12:02 PM
DaveT83*

Desperation!!!! I know its early in the off season - but we are going into the season with literally the exact same group that challenged for 2nd last overall.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:04 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
I spent a good couple of hours one day a few weeks ago (I was seriously bored) going through every team's depth charts looking at who has a surplus of NHL ready or soon-to-be centers that could possibly challenge to replace the current #1.

The list was very short.

I'm not saying you couldn't pry a guy out who you'd think is possibly not available, but the sheer cost would be asinine and if Burke's not going to "stripmine" the team for an arguably more important position of a #1 goaltender, I can't see him doing it for a #1 center... and we've needed a #1 center since Sundin left.

If we do somehow land a #1 center, great, Grabovski moves back to #2, life's good. But in the meantime, is JVR or Bozak the answer?
i agree. it's not the answer. i wouldn't want to start bozak or JVR at the 1C. i certainly don't believe in the notion of "keep grabo at all costs!". especially when we have some organizational depth at the 2C position. i'm not saying that connolly, colborne, kadri are better than grabo at the #2. they certainly can play 2C though.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:32 PM
4evaBlue

Grabo's fixed #2C spot mostly comes from the past chemistry with his linemates (MacA and Kulie). If they can't rekindle that magic after an off season, I'm not sure what to do with him. Because of Kessel's timidness, the center needs to be able to do a bit of boardwork (and I don't mean getting hammered into it) to compensate. Bozak can manage that to a degree, a lot better than Grabo can. IMO, Bozak is also a lot better defensively than Grabo is.

I don't see Grabo moving from the #2C spot for considerable length of time, the real question w/ the 2nd line is who the wingers are going to be, and how well Grabo meshes with them. Assuming no trades for a #1C before the season starts, that spot is a tossup between JVR, Connolly, Bozak and possibly Kadri or Colborne (if they knock everyone's socks off at training camp).

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:33 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Desperation!!!! I know its early in the off season - but we are going into the season with literally the exact same group that challenged for 2nd last overall.
No we aren't.

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Kirkpatrick

Quote:
Shh! Don't tell the Schenn brothers, I bet they'd like to continue believing that they're going to get to play together.

Kirkpatrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:07 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
blue= Newb
green=prospect replacing roster player

lupul bozak kessel
JVR grabo frattin
Deschamps McClement Kadri
Brown Steckel Orr

Gunn Dion
JML Holzer
Gardiner Komi
Franson

Old
07-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Neeraj

Quote:
blue= Newb
green=prospect replacing roster player

lupul bozak kessel
JVR grabo frattin
Deschamps McClement Kadri
Brown Steckel Orr

Gunn Dion
JML Holzer
Gardiner Komi
Franson
Soooo... where did CMac and Kulemin go?

Neeraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:13 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeraj View Post
Soooo... where did CMac and Kulemin go?
let me consult with NHL '12

Old
07-13-2012, 01:37 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
You need to go look up "literally". There has already been a trade and a UFA signing.

egd27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:27 PM
gravyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Grabo's fixed #2C spot mostly comes from the past chemistry with his linemates (MacA and Kulie). If they can't rekindle that magic after an off season, I'm not sure what to do with him. Because of Kessel's timidness, the center needs to be able to do a bit of boardwork (and I don't mean getting hammered into it) to compensate. Bozak can manage that to a degree, a lot better than Grabo can. IMO, Bozak is also a lot better defensively than Grabo is.

I don't see Grabo moving from the #2C spot for considerable length of time, the real question w/ the 2nd line is who the wingers are going to be, and how well Grabo meshes with them. Assuming no trades for a #1C before the season starts, that spot is a tossup between JVR, Connolly, Bozak and possibly Kadri or Colborne (if they knock everyone's socks off at training camp).
You can't be serious: Grabovski's Corsi is among the league's best and he's been our primary matchup/shutdown center against team's top lines last two years.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Still dont think he will work out there.

07-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Kessel>Seguin +
Not Even A Big Fan!!

Lupul jvr Kessel
Frattin grabo kuli / shutdown line
Mac. Bozak. Kadri
Steckle Mcclement brown/Orr

Lombo healthy scratch

Love this forward group

Kessel>Seguin + is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Mike1

I would like to try Grabovski up there. Inspite of what the media says, Grabovski has never been tried up with Kessel for any consistent period. He is a better passer, finisher than Bozak & has the speed to keep up with Kessel.

Mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:16 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Looking at all of Bozaks other numbers aside from pure points, I am not that panicked about adding a number 1. I want a solid improvement, not a half assed upgrade who adds 10 points but doesn't win face-offs, or hit, or back check. Boz spooks me because of two years ago but if he can improve on on this season even a bit he is the least of their problems. The more I think about it, the less I want to mess with whatever created the breakout years for Lupul and Kessel. Getzlaf is fine but short of that I would prefer they waited for a true leader in that position.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:36 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Can you share your results. I did a look myself a few weeks ago and came up with 5-6 names although I don't know which are available, what they would cost and how much of an upgrade they are. The list was like this, as I recall it:

Pavelski (Thornton, Couture)
Statsny (Duchense)
Weiss
Colin Wilson
I can't remember, but I'm sure there was another name or 2 on the list.

My personal choice is Pavelski, with us giving San Jose getting some cap space for Nash (who they will inevitably get).

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:37 PM
gravyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post
I would like to try Grabovski up there. Inspite of what the media says, Grabovski has never been tried up with Kessel for any consistent period. He is a better passer, finisher than Bozak & has the speed to keep up with Kessel.
And he's much better defensively than Bozak. I think the only question mark with the guy is whether or not he can mesh with Kessel. Both guys want the puck all the time, but I'm willing to think that they can figure out what to do when the other guy wants to carry it in.

Just solves so many problems and while not ideal, it just opens up that #2 hole for another capable center.

Old
07-13-2012, 07:39 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
Looking at all of Bozaks other numbers aside from pure points, I am not that panicked about adding a number 1. I want a solid improvement, not a half assed upgrade who adds 10 points but doesn't win face-offs, or hit, or back check. Boz spooks me because of two years ago but if he can improve on on this season even a bit he is the least of their problems. The more I think about it, the less I want to mess with whatever created the breakout years for Lupul and Kessel. Getzlaf is fine but short of that I would prefer they waited for a true leader in that position.
I think there's others out there who may not be #1's but offer more than Bozak. A guy like Pavelski can killl a penalty and play on your PP.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:44 PM
gravyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Can you share your results. I did a look myself a few weeks ago and came up with 5-6 names although I don't know which are available, what they would cost and how much of an upgrade they are. The list was like this, as I recall it:

Pavelski (Thornton, Couture)
Statsny (Duchense)
Weiss
Colin Wilson
I can't remember, but I'm sure there was another name or 2 on the list.

My personal choice is Pavelski, with us giving San Jose getting some cap space for Nash (who they will inevitably get).
I wasn't even looking for #1 C per se, just top 6 centers who would be available (just goes to show you what's out there):

Stastny
Dubinsky
Wilson

Figured these were longshots for one reason or another:

Pavelski
Zajac
Getzlaf

Of that list, only Getzlaf fits the stud big-bodied #1 C that everyone wants. I really don't think he's leaving ANA though; if Ryan moves, that salary is going to be used to resign Perry and Getzlaf.

I'd choose Stastny as my next choice: he could probably be had for Lupul+ and we have a surplus of wingers at the moment.

Old
07-13-2012, 07:45 PM
gravyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
I think there's others out there who may not be #1's but offer more than Bozak. A guy like Pavelski can killl a penalty and play on your PP.
Pavelski or Grabovski? Considering what we'd have to give up (seeing as Sharks are still trying to win it before everyone gets too old; they're not rebuilding yet), Grabovski starts to look pretty good in the #1 hole.