Notices

What happened to sand paper?

Old
07-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Mike Jones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
After eight years of Sutter's "sandpaper" I'm okay with skill instead.
I dunno - seemed to work for the Kings...

The whole sandpaper thing is one of the few things I actually liked Sutter's work here in Calgary. Yeah, he screwed a lot of things up but he did bring in some toughness and that never goes out of style.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:01 PM
CoRD
GO BRUINS GO!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post

The whole sandpaper thing is one of the few things I actually liked Sutter's work here in Calgary. Yeah, he screwed a lot of things up but he did bring in some toughness and that never goes out of style.
No, Mike Richards and Jeff Carter worked for the Kings. They needed skill to score goals otherwise they wouldn't even have made the playoffs.

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:05 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga View Post
Shane Doan ^^
Don't want him honestly, I think he is dirty but more importantly we have no place for him to play unless he is a center.

TheHudlinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:07 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:

It didn't work for the Capitals or Florida. It also didn't work Dallas, Toronto, or Columbus who all missed the playoffs while being in the top 10 for hits.

Old
07-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Volica

There's a difference between size and sand paper.

Size, yes, I like. Sandpaper, I can go without, having watch the flames for the past near decade being a sandpaper-esque team... I can pass.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
No, Mike Richards and Jeff Carter worked for the Kings. They needed skill to score goals otherwise they wouldn't even have made the playoffs.
Given the turnaround when Sutter took over I think he had something to do with the big win as well.

Old
07-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
There's a difference between size and sand paper.

Size, yes, I like. Sandpaper, I can go without, having watch the flames for the past near decade being a sandpaper-esque team... I can pass.
I'm beginning to wonder if people know what "sandpaper" really means when it comes to players and teams.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:07 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
I'm beginning to wonder if people know what "sandpaper" really means when it comes to players and teams.
I agree, this team is way too soft and small right now. But they might surprise, if our offense goes up.

a 3rd line of Bartschi-Backlund-Stempniak will get killed. Hopefully Comeau comes to play and steals the 3rd line RW spot, or maybe Aliu. Adding more grit to our lineup, while putting points on the board every once and a while.

Stempnaik should be our go to plug in the lineup, injuries are always a factor and Stemps can play both wings. He's got ok hands, he's adaptable, and he's not a liability on the ice.

Run a lineup like this:

Tanguay-Cammy-Iginla
Glencross-Cervenka/Stajan-Hudler
Bartschi-Backlund-Comeau/Aliu
Bouma-Jones-Jackman
Stempniak

The bolded are players that don't get knocked around, that is a good balance IMO if you run on the assumption that Bartschi, Comeau/Aliu, Cervenka, Jones and Bouma make the team out of camp. The only problem is this lineup will never win a FO, outside of Stajan and Iginla.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Xelstyle

Really wish we had an Ott-type player. Would really fill the rest of the holes we have.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:11 AM
MVW

I'd like to say I proposed a trade of Moss and Nemisz for Hartnell last year and I got blasted for it. The consensus among Flyer fans would of been they would of accepted it before Richards and Carter were shipped out. Anyways that was then and this is now. I doubt Hartnell would of had those kind of numbers here this season, but I still think it would of been a great deal for us because Hartnell would added exactly the toughness we needed.

MVW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:37 AM
Volica

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I'd like to say I proposed a trade of Moss and Nemisz for Hartnell last year and I got blasted for it. The consensus among Flyer fans would of been they would of accepted it before Richards and Carter were shipped out. Anyways that was then and this is now. I doubt Hartnell would of had those kind of numbers here this season, but I still think it would of been a great deal for us because Hartnell would added exactly the toughness we needed.
Love Harts, but if Giroux isn't kicking about... Harts goes back to being a Glencross type player; 40-50 points.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:34 AM
MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
Love Harts, but if Giroux isn't kicking about... Harts goes back to being a Glencross type player; 40-50 points.
Totally agree, and I would be fine with that. Nemisz would of been the only piece that would of hurt to lose, but to add a player with Hartnell's intangibles it would of been worth it IMO.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:00 PM
flameaholic
FOREVER a Flame!

Between Iginla, Glencross, Comeau, Aliu, Jones, Jackman, and Bouma we should have enough grit in our lineup. More than anything we could use some size down the middle.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:23 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I honestly think physicality is overrated, usually having a physical bottom 6 means they are slow so you are limited to 2 scoring lines, most defenseman make the mistake of overhitting and being out of position, and having physical top 6 player can usually wear themselves out and they slow down over the course of the year. We don't just physical players we just need our players who can hit (aka Iginla, Glencross, Sarich, Gio etc) to play smart and make hits if they are available we don't need to force it.
Tell that to the last several cup winners and someone like the Flyers who get pushed around in the playoffs every year....sandpaper doesn't have to be goons.

LA Stoll, richardson, Nolan, king, Fraser, Clifford
Bos - Thornton, Paille, Campbell, peverly
Chi - eager, Burish, Fraser, Brouwer

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:25 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
The flyers value hartnell a lot more than some of their idiot fans and rightly so

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:55 PM
nogger
Former 4th liner

Can we all agree to stop calling it sand paper.

nogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:22 PM
MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
The flyers value hartnell a lot more than some of their idiot fans and rightly so
Last season it was cap space they valued above all else, that is until they dealt Richards and Carter. Essentially replacing Hartnell with Moss would of saved the Flyers 3 million in cap space which would of went to signing Bryz.

But I agree, Harts is the definition of a Flyer and I think everybody in Philly finally realized that this season. He 'should' retire a Flyer no question.

Old
07-13-2012, 06:31 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Tell that to the last several cup winners and someone like the Flyers who get pushed around in the playoffs every year....sandpaper doesn't have to be goons.

LA Stoll, richardson, Nolan, king, Fraser, Clifford
Bos - Thornton, Paille, Campbell, peverly
Chi - eager, Burish, Fraser, Brouwer
Sand paper doesn't have to be goons but all free agents were goons. I don't get why people want Tootoo he is a penalty machine and doesn't bring much else. I never said I wouldn't want a Ott type player but there weren't any available. Anyone we would have signed would have been a mistake imo. I agree that all those teams had physical players (Paille is not physical and Eager is a goon) but we couldn't have gotten a player like that except for Burish who got massively overpaid.

Old
07-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Xelstyle

If you have a guy with grit, physicality and skill, that's a keeper. We've already got Glencross and Iginla. Only thing to make it perfect would be some center with 2 way play, aforementioned grit and physicality, size and of course, face off prowess.

That's my christmas wish list.

Other than that, Jackman, Jones, and Bouma will serve nicely for the "sandpaper" department.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote