HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kyle Palmieri to Pittsburgh

Old
07-13-2012, 06:56 PM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

vCash: 500
I am not saying I would add to Despres to get Palmieri because both are great prospects and I understand that both teams value each highly. However, in a hypothetical world, where a deal had to be made, what would have to be added to Despres to be accepted by the Ducks?

SinfulCobraZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:58 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
What would it take? Assuming Ryan is traded for 2-3 quality NHL ready pieces at forward and Palmieri becomes expendable.

Despres/Palmieri swap?
Ducks are short at centre so for them to deal a prospect he needs to replaced with an equal or better prospect or active player. Unless Ryan generates a 2C for the ducks, that sort of points to Brandon Sutter to fill that role that Palmeiri is being groomed for. But Im not sure that is a starting point for the penguins.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:59 PM
airforceones25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Not wanting to deal Palmieri is fine, but the comments knocking Despres in here are hilarious.

Stick around kids.
Except no one is knocking Despres. Lol

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:03 PM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
Except no one is knocking Despres. Lol
Umm...did you read the thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Palmieri is significantly better than Depres, doubt Anaheim does it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Zero reason for the Ducks to consider moving him...especially for Depres.

SinfulCobraZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not wanting to deal Palmieri is fine, but the comments knocking Despres in here are hilarious.

Stick around kids.
I really wish people would read the thread. First there's someone saying Anaheim fans are saying Palmieri is so much better than Despres, and now there's this... who is knocking Despres? Not wanting to trade Palmieri for Despres is not a knock on Despres, it's a testament to Palmieri as well as Anaheim's actual needs.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:09 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Despres>Palmieri

Ducks fans have gone full Toronto. You never go full Toronto.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:11 PM
airforceones25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulCobraZ View Post
So because someone feels a player is better than next means hes knocking him?

The other says he doesn't want to trade Palmieri especially for Despres. Which would be sentiment of most Ducks fans due to the fact Anaheim doesn't need a defenseman as much as forwards. This is knocking him?

You and your buddy are equally in need of a pair of glasses!

Not one person has said a bad word or "knocked" Despres in anyway.

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Despres>Palmieri

Because there are so many Anaheim fans here saying Palmieri is significantly better. Oh wait, there aren't.

Edit: For the record, I do think Palmieri is better. He tore up the AHL, and showed some real promise in the NHL games he played. I think saying he has top six potential is not an exaggeration of his abilities at all, and I think if Anaheim prospects got a bit more media attention, there would be more hype surrounding Palmieri. Schultz is a pretty good example of this. But saying Palmieri is significantly better? I think that's a stretch, and in general Anaheim fans are pretty conservative about their prospects. On top of that, one of the biggest reasons Anaheim fans wouldn't want to move Palmieri for Depres is based on team needs. The Ducks have a greater need for Palmieri than they do Despres, especially if Ryan is indeed moved. I say this because your ignorance of the Anaheim's point of view is pretty obvious.

Last edited by Sojourn: 07-13-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old
07-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Despres>Palmieri

What exactly makes you adamantly state that Despres>Palmieri? Have you seen Palmieri play? Palmieri was tearing up the AHL last year and looked very good in his last stint at the NHL level.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I really wish people would read the thread. First there's someone saying Anaheim fans are saying Palmieri is so much better than Despres, and now there's this... who is knocking Despres? Not wanting to trade Palmieri for Despres is not a knock on Despres, it's a testament to Palmieri as well as Anaheim's actual needs.
The quotes in the post above yours? Select posters are acting like he can't be mentioned in the same breath as Palmieri.

But hey, we all know that 20 year old 6'4" two-way defensemen with Team Canada and Mem Cup credentials who played better than every other defenseman on their NHL team short of a recognized #1 grow on trees.

Despres is a great young prospect, as is Palmieri.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
The quotes in the post above yours? Select posters are acting like he can't be mentioned in the same breath as Palmieri.

But hey, we all know that 20 year old 6'4" two-way defensemen with Team Canada and Mem Cup credentials who played better than every other defenseman on their NHL team short of a recognized #1 grow on trees.

Now you're just being hyperbolic. Posters are acting like he can't be mentioned in the same breath? Give me a break. At best they're saying Palmieri is better, and that it doesn't fill Anaheim's needs.

Old
07-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Despres>Palmieri

Ducks fans have gone full Toronto.
Ducks fans haven't even made a single statement like "Palmieri > Despres". The statements made by Ducks fans involved parts like it "not making sense", or similar stuff. There were some fans of other teams that were about as vocal as you, though. Take it for what it's worth.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Now you're just being hyperbolic. Posters are acting like he can't be mentioned in the same breath? Give me a break. At best they're saying Palmieri is better, and that it doesn't fill Anaheim's needs.
You and I have different takes on what "significantly better" and "wouldn't move him...especially for Despres" mean, then. I never painted the entire Ducks fan base with a broad brush, just pointed out the hilarity of select posts in this thread.

Palmieri had a very impressive debut. That doesn't erase that Despres also had a very impressive start - again, one where he was better than every Pens defenseman outside of Letang.

Old
07-13-2012, 07:44 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Nope.

Sutter + Despres + TK + 1st 2012, 2nd 2013

for

Ryan
As you said.
Nope

Pittsburgh fans seem to offer us Kennedy or Tangradi in every Ryan idea

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
I am not saying I would add to Despres to get Palmieri because both are great prospects and I understand that both teams value each highly. However, in a hypothetical world, where a deal had to be made, what would have to be added to Despres to be accepted by the Ducks?
It's not a matter of needing to add. The value is fine, we just don't have any need for Despres at the moment.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:51 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:

Because there are so many Anaheim fans here saying Palmieri is significantly better. Oh wait, there aren't.

Edit: For the record, I do think Palmieri is better. He tore up the AHL, and showed some real promise in the NHL games he played. I think saying he has top six potential is not an exaggeration of his abilities at all, and I think if Anaheim prospects got a bit more media attention, there would be more hype surrounding Palmieri. Schultz is a pretty good example of this. But saying Palmieri is significantly better? I think that's a stretch, and in general Anaheim fans are pretty conservative about their prospects. On top of that, one of the biggest reasons Anaheim fans wouldn't want to move Palmieri for Depres is based on team needs. The Ducks have a greater need for Palmieri than they do Despres, especially if Ryan is indeed moved. I say this because your ignorance of the Anaheim's point of view is pretty obvious.
LOL Palmieri at this time is a better player than Despres, he's been the best forward offensively in the AHL for 2 years

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
You and I have different takes on what "significantly better" and "wouldn't move him...especially for Despres" mean, then. I never painted the entire Ducks fan base with a broad brush, just pointed out the hilarity of select posts in this thread.

Palmieri had a very impressive debut. That doesn't erase that Despres also had a very impressive start - again, one where he was better than every Pens defenseman outside of Letang.
Apparently we do. If someone said "AINEC" then sure, I'd agree, but just saying a player is significantly better, or that they wouldn't move him for that player? It just seems you took it personally that people(and not Anaheim fans) were saying they'd rather have Palmieri.

I've never said Despres isn't an impressive prospect. I absolutely believe he is. He just isn't what I think Anaheim would want if they moved Palmieri. With so many young defensemen, such as Fowler, Sbisa, Vatanen, Lindholm, and a greater organizational need up front, the Ducks have to love Palmieri right now. He tore up the AHL, impressed in the NHL, and has an agitating side of his game. In some ways, he's kind of a Perry-lite prospect(and I say this very loosely at this point). When you consider that Ryan's future with this team is questionable, and Selanne is probably a season or two away from retirement, the Ducks just can't afford to move a prospect like Palmieri, and yes, in this case I do think that means "especially for Despres" who doesn't fill a real organizational need for us, and wouldn't blow Anaheim away in terms of return.

Old
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
It's not a matter of needing to add. The value is fine, we just don't have any need for Despres at the moment.
I'd even make that a little less sharp - sure we have a need for Despres, like many teams have. Not quite as much as some teams with less of a young defensive core and/or pipeline have, but you never quite run out of a need of such guys. Just not a need to replace a similarly talented forward with him.

Not really trying to correct you as much as clarifying it for others so that your quote doesn't just get picked up and thrown around out of context.

Old
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
LOL Palmieri at this time is a better player than Despres, he's been the best forward offensively in the AHL for 2 years
Despres played like a top 4 defenseman for his entire NHL call-up.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Apparently we do. If someone said "AINEC" then sure, I'd agree, but just saying a player is significantly better, or that they wouldn't move him for that player? It just seems you took it personally that people(and not Anaheim fans) were saying they'd rather have Palmieri.

I've never said Despres isn't an impressive prospect. I absolutely believe he is. He just isn't what I think Anaheim would want if they moved Palmieri. With so many young defensemen, such as Fowler, Sbisa, Vatanen, Lindholm, and a greater organizational need up front, the Ducks have to love Palmieri right now. He tore up the AHL, impressed in the NHL, and has an agitating side of his game. In some ways, he's kind of a Perry-lite prospect(and I say this very loosely at this point). When you consider that Ryan's future with this team is questionable, and Selanne is probably a season or two away from retirement, the Ducks just can't afford to move a prospect like Palmieri, and yes, in this case I do think that means "especially for Despres" who doesn't fill a real organizational need for us, and wouldn't blow Anaheim away in terms of return.
You're entitled to your opinion - the definition of the word "significant" is pretty cut-and-dried, AFAIC. But no use in arguing semantics. I never had any issue with Ducks fans wanting to keep Palmieri, I said that right off the hop.

When it comes to Despres, I'll just say I'm sure there will be a few surprised posters at the end of the year.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Despres played like a top 4 defenseman for his entire NHL call-up.
To be fair, that's 18 games. If true - and I feel I'm in position to argue - that's still an impressive thing to do for a young guy like him, no question, and it would rightfully make your team and fans optimistic about his future. But it's still a very small sample size. Maybe he was great in his 44 AHL games, as well, I can't tell, but those would certainly have an impact on what to think about him, as well.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
To be fair, that's 18 games. If true - and I feel I'm in position to argue - that's still an impressive thing to do for a young guy like him, no question, and it would rightfully make your team and fans optimistic about his future. But it's still a very small sample size. Maybe he was great in his 44 AHL games, as well, I can't tell, but those would certainly have an impact on what to think about him, as well.
It is a small sample size, but he was very consistent throughout. Still has to be take into account though, you're right.

His AHL tenure was a mixed bag. He seems the type who plays to the level of his competition.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:
So by saying the Ducks would not trade Palmieri for Depres were suddenly bashing Depres? Wow. I think you need to look up what "bashing" means

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
I don't think it's that simple. Defensemen take longer to develop, and there is no doubt that Despres has a tool box that would interest any GM. I just wouldn't want Despres for Palmieri. If Anaheim traded Palmieri, I don't think it would be for a prospect like Despres.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:

I'm serious, you should probably get your eyes checked. Saying Palmieri is worth more than Depres suddenly is equivalent to saying "he can't be mentioned in the same breath as Palmieri" ???? Wow, you are touchy.

Yes, Depres is a good prospect, no one in this thread has said he is not, so I don't see why your making a big deal out of nothing. Just because some of us think Palmieri is worth more does NOT mean were bashing Depres in any way. Believe it or not, you can have two excellent prospects, with one worth more than the other.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote