Ducks sign Lindholm to 3-year ELC

Old
07-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 50
Ducks sign Lindholm to 3-year ELC

Stephens

Quote:
Ducks sign 2012 first-rounder Hampus Lindholm to three-year entry level contract.
Quote:
Lindholm's deal is worth $925,000 (NHL), $70,000 (AHL).
Can't wait to see how he develops.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:26 PM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

vCash: 150
Good news, I doubt we see him over in NA this year.

ShadowDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:32 PM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Bob has been busy.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

vCash: 500
This is good news. Usually the Ducks are not in such a hurry to sign their draft picks right away. While I do not expect to see him in ANA this year it still is a good sign the team thinks very highly of him.

Eddie Shack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Finnpin

Now that was quick. Good stuff. Don't hurry up the kid though.

Now more beer.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:20 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Are we planning on dressing 3 dman and 2 forwards or something?

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Don't be silly.

CLEARLY the plan is to ice 1 forward, 3 D, and 2 goalies.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:12 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

I wonder if the new CBA has anything to do with this.

Not sure which way ELCs might go. The general historical trend in all sports is to make them lower salary and more restricted. OTH, this might be an easy concession for the NHL to give up to get other things they are more interested in.

Also what happens if there's a lockout? Does the contract start ticking? I kind of thought 1st year contracts didn't last lockout.

Or it just shows that they really are seriously considering playing him next season.

edit: seems like a lot of 2012 draftees are getting signed. Lindholm, Girgensons, Forsberg. Hmm....

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Kinda makes me think Lydman may be on the way out. I'm ok with it if it's to bring another center in, but I don't want to see him moved for a pick. I remember that Teemu said Lubo was expendable because of Lydman, and I had figured he said that before he knew about Souray and Allen, but maybe Lydman is moved and it's an open competition for the 6th spot.

Duck Off is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:41 PM
SupermanPahlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Kinda makes me think Lydman may be on the way out. I'm ok with it if it's to bring another center in, but I don't want to see him moved for a pick. I remember that Teemu said Lubo was expendable because of Lydman, and I had figured he said that before he knew about Souray and Allen, but maybe Lydman is moved and it's an open competition for the 6th spot.
I thought Teemu said it was Vatanen that made Lubo expendable?

SupermanPahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:43 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

If this guy goes from being the biggest wtf-moment in the draft, to actually playing in the NHL this season...my god the awesomeness.

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:44 PM
SupermanPahlsson

I'm not sure on this, as maybe someone else knows, but what happens if the Ducks were to give Hampus the test run? Since he wouldn't be returning to the CHL, how many games would be equivalent to the 10-games that disables a CHL player from returning to the minors? Or is there no limit since he'd be returning to the SEL?

SupermanPahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:02 PM
airforceones25

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
I wonder if the new CBA has anything to do with this.

Not sure which way ELCs might go. The general historical trend in all sports is to make them lower salary and more restricted. OTH, this might be an easy concession for the NHL to give up to get other things they are more interested in.

Also what happens if there's a lockout? Does the contract start ticking? I kind of thought 1st year contracts didn't last lockout.

Or it just shows that they really are seriously considering playing him next season.

edit: seems like a lot of 2012 draftees are getting signed. Lindholm, Girgensons, Forsberg. Hmm...
Pretty sure European players have to report by July 15th if they are going to play.. Threfor the only way players like Lindholm and Forsberg could attend camp is by having their ELC's already thus allowing them to go back to Europe and be able to play.

I can't speak for Girgensons though as he was slated to play in college.

Last edited by airforceones25: 07-13-2012 at 05:11 PM.
airforceones25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:02 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanPahlsson View Post
I'm not sure on this, as maybe someone else knows, but what happens if the Ducks were to give Hampus the test run? Since he wouldn't be returning to the CHL, how many games would be equivalent to the 10-games that disables a CHL player from returning to the minors? Or is there no limit since he'd be returning to the SEL?
I believe this just has to do with the contract. When he goes past his 9th game mark, he will burn that season off is ELC. If being sent back to Sweden before that...he won't.

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Finnpin

Last edited by Finnpin: 07-13-2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: wrong thread...beer
Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
The 10-game mark doesn't prohibit a CHL player from returning to the Major Juniors. There actually is no game mark that does that, only an age limit. A CHL player can return at any time, but once he returns he can't be called back up until his CHL team's season is over. The significance of the 10-game mark is that it activates the player's ELC and burns a year off of it, which can be pretty significant.

The 10-game mark has the same impact on Lindholm's contract. If he earns an opportunity to start a couple of games at the beginning of the season, the Ducks will need to decide if they want to burn a year off of his contrat, of send him back to the SEL. I don't believe the AHL will be a consideration, and it will be the NHL or the SEL for him.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Or is there no limit since he'd be returning to the SEL?
(Besides the points Sojourn made...) There's no formal deadline for players drafted out of Sweden, for all I know, so - theoretically - players could transfer about any time (there might be a transfer-deadline in Sweden at some point, though, but that would probably be in January/February). In reality, however, the SEL is an elite league and isn't a farm team or primarily developmental league, so assigning players isn't quite as easy. Teams over there are looking to have their teams set to start their seasons. A team like Rögle couldn't go deeper into their season if there's a decent chance of Hampus sticking around without making a move to replace him. Ultimately, since he isn't on an expensive deal with them, they could always take him back, I'm sure, but given the situation, I would be very surprised to see him get 20+ games with the Ducks and then make the move back to SEL. His first ten games - should he even get those after a very good training camp - will likely be about equally important in making the call whether to keep him around as they are with CHL prospects.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Could all of these prospect signings due to the pending CBA negotiations and teams not willing to take a chance on any changes to the ELC? I'm not informed whatsoever if the picks could be grandfathered because of the CBA in place when they were drafted or if ELCs might be slated to change. Can a more educated CBA guru give any insight?

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:07 PM
GreatBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGallINYAface View Post
Could all of these prospect signings due to the pending CBA negotiations and teams not willing to take a chance on any changes to the ELC? I'm not informed whatsoever if the picks could be grandfathered because of the CBA in place when they were drafted or if ELCs might be slated to change. Can a more educated CBA guru give any insight?
I am not familiar with the provisions of US and Canadian labor law that could control whether these contracts could be modified. When the now current CBA was signed there was a rollback of player salaries, so I suspect that under labor law a mutually agreed upon provision that is adopted in the new CBA could impact existing contracts. I do not think that the owners care very much about modifying the CBA with regards to the payment provisios for ELC's and I do not think that the union is going to agree to reduce the pay of players under already signed ELC's.

Given the fact that the Ducks have signed four players to ELC's that probably will play in Europe this year there is a possibility that something is up regarding ELC's and players signed under them in the CBA discussions. I have not followed other teams to see if this same trend is happening with them. If it is, something is definitely up for discussion in the collective bargining discussions.

GreatBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Honestly, I don't think these signings of European guys have a lot to do with the old/new CBA, and all with the transfer agreement between the NHL and SEL. Like with the other such agreements with European leagues, there's a deadline in the summer until which day NHL teams can sign SEL players which are still under contract with SEL clubs (which is then commonly referred to as out-clauses, which don't really exist individually in that sense due to these agreements). That deadline for the SEL, for all I know, is two days from now. So for a guy like Lindholm, still being under contract with Rögle for another year, he had to be signed in order to participate in the Ducks training camp while his SEL team has its own or already starts its season.

I'm not quite certain whether it's the same situation with Andersen. I thought he had some time left on his deal as well, but now they say he's gone, which may only refer to him signing with Anaheim for all those same reasons, however. In any way, I would tend to believe that the timing of his signing as a European player would be attributed to that deadline, as well.

[EDIT: Just realized that airforceone actually covered the main point. Sorry for just skipping by that.]

Last edited by Vipers31: 07-13-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old
07-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
(Besides the points Sojourn made...) There's no formal deadline for players drafted out of Sweden, for all I know, so - theoretically - players could transfer about any time (there might be a transfer-deadline in Sweden at some point, though, but that would probably be in January/February).
Sweden and Finland have a transfer agreement with the NHL, it has clear deadlines for player movement. If a player starts the season in Europe, he can't go to the NHL after that even if he has a contract.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Sweden and Finland have a transfer agreement with the NHL, it has clear deadlines for player movement. If a player starts the season in Europe, he can't go to the NHL after that even if he has a contract.
I know, I think I explained that in the post just before yours. That part you quoted was about the other way around, though - players coming from the NHL/AHL to Europe. I don't know if the SEL has a restriction in that regard. I know from some other European leagues that only have a transfer deadline (for bringing players into the league) some time before their respective playoffs start.

Last edited by Vipers31: 07-13-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old
07-13-2012, 08:30 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
Pretty sure European players have to report by July 15th if they are going to play.. Threfor the only way players like Lindholm and Forsberg could attend camp is by having their ELC's already thus allowing them to go back to Europe and be able to play.

I can't speak for Girgensons though as he was slated to play in college.
Even still, two Europeans signed right away seems a little higher than normal.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:41 PM
joe89

Thought I'd share a Swedish interview with you guys: http://hd.se/sport/2012/07/13/lindho...-nhl-kontrakt/

About going overseas:
Quote:
– Yes, I'm leaving Rögle to try take a spot in Anaheim. This is really big, but just a start and you shouldn't get too excited. No clapping hands and cheering before you actually take the step and play a couple of games. It won't be easy.
If he's ready:
Quote:
– Level of play has to come from within and it felt good at [development] camp. I know they believe in me and the feeling is good. I've been thinking about this for quite a while now and when the chance came up I found no reason to say no [to going overseas]. I'm just gonna go out and do my best.
It also has comments from the general manager saying that they'll be looking for a new defenseman, but at the same time are very happy for Hampus.

Interpret the quotes as you like, maybe he has indicated he's willing to spend time in the AHL if he doesn't crack the NHL. There's not a single mention of him returning to Rögle.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Unholy
waifu

Awesome. Can't wait to see this kid play in person (whenever that may be).